timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Super Super Compressor

Tropic black rubber.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    What strap colour did you go for?

If you go over to the Christopher Ward forum someone posted a screenshot of all the sale watches on days one. It on the Jan sale thread around page 6 or 7 IIRC.

No deep blue watch was in the sale. Ocean blue on bracelet was in the sale but it was nearly new and priced at £700. Presumably it was a return so the ocean blue watch was not widely discounted either, maybe just one or two returns.

Edit : it is page 7. Or post #102 if you are using Tapatalk

https://www.christopherwardforum.com...55679&start=90
    Ah yes that must have been the blue one I saw, didn't realise there were different blue ones but will take a look now out of curiosity. Thanks for the link.

EDIT: oh yes the dark blue one is way nicer! Can see why people are discussing it now, that does look great.
    Last edited by Tetlee; 17th January 2021 at 18:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    It’s a similar total outlay to a discounted Certina DS-200h blue, which I’ve really liked since seeing the release. I’m sure SC might put one up at some stage if I decide to go ahead with the CW but miss out.

& I’ve still got far too many watches for sense.
    That Certina is very, very nice, but large at nearly 43mm. The style is similar to a few other watches in a similar or more expensive price range.

The thing I like about the CW is it is nothing like anything else on the market (or nothing I’ve noticed) and doesn’t feel like another homage.

That Certina is very, very nice, but large at nearly 43mm. The style is similar to a few other watches in a similar or more expensive price range.

The thing I like about the CW is it is nothing like anything else on the market (or nothing I’ve noticed) and doesn’t feel like another homage.
    That Certina is a killer model, somebody I know bought one and it actually wears very well indeed and doesn't look 43mm on the wrist. I was surprised when I saw it. They fitted it with a Staib mesh and it looked even better.

Master
    yes i saw that, and I also asked about swapping it to a blue dial and the response i got was no, it could only be done for the same colour it was sold as originally.

Seems a bit daft especially if you we're willing to pay for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by s1wnw View Post
    yes i saw that, and I also asked about swapping it to a blue dial and the response i got was no, it could only be done for the same colour it was sold as originally.
    Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Let's hope they don't use the same purchasing / stock system as Eddie and I end up with an 'Order Cancelled' email.

Sold out.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Let's hope they don't use the same purchasing / stock system as Eddie and I end up with an 'Order Cancelled' email.
    I ordered mine on the Saturday, got an order confirmation email straight away but it was the Thursday when I got the item despatched email, the watch turned up the next day. Delays due to busy sale period plus COVID.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Thank you, that helps with my impatient nature. I'd have been wondering otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Quality Man View Post
    I ordered mine on the Saturday, got an order confirmation email straight away but it was the Thursday when I got the item despatched email, the watch turned up the next day. Delays due to busy sale period plus COVID.

A Super Super Compressor

Thank you, that helps with my impatient nature. I'd have been wondering otherwise.
    I ordered mine on Saturday and have just received the despatch email. It says DPD will deliver tomorrow.

If you go into your CW account it should say something like pre-order, preparing for despatch or despatched.

That was the sequence my account was updated, I think.

I think they where dealing with 1000s of sales as part of the January sales event. But now that is over I presume dispatch is quick, or it has been for me.
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 18th January 2021 at 17:37.

Order Status: Being Prepared For Despatch

I ordered mine on Saturday and have just received the dispatch email. It says DPD will deliver tomorrow.

If you go into your CW account it should say something like pre-order, preparing for dispatch or dispatched.

That was the sequence my account was updated, I think.

I think they where dealing with 1000s of sales as part of the January sales event. But now that is over I presume dispatch is quick, or it has been for me.

This is interesting, found in a review in Worn & Wound:

The C65 SC has a depth rating of 150 meters which, while more than enough for the average buyer, does beg the question: how much of that is owed to the increased resistance provided by the compression spring, and what would the depth rating be without it? I spoke with Mike France of Christopher Ward and he indicated that the watch is capable of much more, and I’m inclined to think that the listed depth rating is sans compression effects. Does it matter? Not really, but if they went through the trouble of manufacturing such a device, it’d be nice to know what practical advantages it brings in a dive scenario.

The C65 SC has a depth rating of 150 meters which, while more than enough for the average buyer, does beg the question: how much of that is owed to the increased resistance provided by the compression spring, and what would the depth rating be without it? I spoke with Mike France of Christopher Ward and he indicated that the watch is capable of much more, and I’m inclined to think that the listed depth rating is sans compression effects. Does it matter? Not really, but if they went through the trouble of manufacturing such a device, it’d be nice to know what practical advantages it brings in a dive scenario.
    The next time a Christopher ward watch goes beyond 150 metres will be the first.

You're referring to owners being unlikely to be diving that depth rather than the watch's ability to get there unscathed?

Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    The next time a Christopher ward watch goes beyond 150 metres will be the first.

You're referring to owners being unlikely to be diving that depth rather than the watch's ability to get there unscathed?
    Owners. Their C60 Trident Pro 600 are rated for, errr 600m.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gotcha.

Owners. Their C60 Trident Pro 600 are rated for, errr 600m.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gotcha.
    A few very favour reviews on YouTube if you want to take a look. The comments sections on the videos are uniformly positive. I don’t think I read one negative comment which hopefully bodes well.

Will do thanks.

A few very favour reviews on YouTube if you want to take a look. The comments sections on the videos are uniformly positive. I don’t think I read one negative comment which hopefully bodes well.

I’ll second the online comments, after a few days wear I can say that it wears beautifully, not one bad thing to report, it’s also a good feeling to back a British brand!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    ....and probably the last, as humans can't survive at that depth!!!

Master

But why didn't they rate it to 200m or even 300m then? As a practical point, how can you separate the effect of the super compressor tech from any other WR tech it has??

Ordered Saturday, arrived this morning. In the flesh it is even better.

Wears smaller than the 41mm and 13 mm height. A real beauty and true bargain. Unlike other watches at this price point it is a very individual style that is not just another homage to something unobtainable. Up there with the quality of any £2k+ watch. Some wrist shots.

Glad you like it! Looks great on the strap too.

As for the WR comments I think that without the sapphire case back the rating would be higher but I totally understand why CW wanted to show off the internals. This is more of a vanity engineering exercise rather than creating a serious dive watch and the fact that CW have gone to the bother is great, the fact that it looks fantastic is a bonus!

I completely agree and 150m is going to suffice for virtually every owner.

Glad you like it! Looks great on the strap too.

As for the WR comments I think that without the sapphire case back the rating would be higher but I totally understand why CW wanted to show off the internals. This is more of a vanity engineering exercise rather than creating a serious dive watch and the fact that CW have gone to the bother is great, the fact that it looks fantastic is a bonus!

Glad you like it!
    Now I can easily look past the whole logo thing, I’ve got my eye on the blue Dartmouth which they where doing for around £600 in the Jan sale, but sold out very quickly. Another watch which is punching significantly above its weight.

I also wouldn’t have minded one of those C65 Automatic Trident Divers as another beater which they where giving away for just over £300.

Will wait until the July sales. But, you have to be very quick as the CW forum tells me the sales are incredibly popular.

I doubt the caseback has any effect at all (being a static seal), my Alkin Model 2 (with internal bezel) cost significantly less, has a display back and twice the WR at 300m.
    I have no problem with CW making a 150m WR watch, it is perfectly fine for 99% of all users in all situations.
    In isolation it is a perfectly adequate piece of specification and as I said, the design is attractive.

My point is that CW deliberately chose to call it a SUPER compressor, inviting comparison with Ervin Piquerez's designs, and yet they failed to match the specifications of the 50-year-old original. It makes me chuckle.

Dave

Happy days:

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    they failed to match the specifications of the 50-year-old original. It makes me chuckle.
    My subC fails to match the specifications of the 66 year old original.

My subC fails to match the specifications of the 66 year old original.
    Indeed, it exceeds the original spec in every department.

Indeed, it exceeds the original spec in every department.
    Ooh, I was being a little facetious!

I doubt the caseback has any effect at all (being a static seal), my Alkin Model 2 (with internal bezel) cost significantly less, has a display back and twice the WR at 300m.
    I have no problem with CW making a 150m WR watch, it is perfectly fine for 99% of all users in all situations.
    In isolation it is a perfectly adequate piece of specification and as I said, the design is attractive.

My point is that CW deliberately chose to call it a SUPER compressor, inviting comparison with Ervin Piquerez's designs, and yet they failed to match the specifications of the 50-year-old original. It makes me chuckle.

Dave
    Not knowing the internal design of this watch or indeed the original Super Compressor cases myself, do you think it will be tolerancing alone that means it does not meet WR of 300m? What other factors come into play?

Master
    These were a bargain in the sale and a very cool looking thing, mechanically at least the super compressor is a simple concept but one that looks good on display and it’s not your usual watch from CW, it’s actually quite rugged but good looking at the same time as being well engineered, tempted with a blue one at some point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    tempted with a blue one at some point
    The deep blue on blue tropic looks the dogs........

Should be a £100 code on the back of the next magazine issue which will bring it down to £795.

How comparable are the ratings?

Has the method of testing changed since the original SCs or is a 30BAR SC from the 70s comparable (all things being equal, of course) to one rated at 30BAR today?

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Who really cares if it is 150 m or 200m?
    Dialing up the WR is not a big feat in modern times and doubt if matching up the WR was a criterion/consideration at all.
    That is just sad nitpicking.
    The blue dial is a beauty.

I don't, 150m is always going to be more than I need for a holiday pool.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Who really cares if it is 150 m or 200m?
    Dialing up the WR is not a big feat in modern times and doubt if matching up the WR was a criterion/consideration at all.
    That is just sad nitpicking.
    The blue dial is a beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    But why didn't they rate it to 200m or even 300m then?...
    According to C. Ward, the watch is a svelte 13.05mm thick. I suspect that the 'conservative' 150m WR is due to the relative slimness of the sapphire used top & bottom.

e.g.:

If you have 2mm sapphire top & bottom, that only leaves 9.05mm for movement, dial & internal bezel.

If you have 1.5mm sapphire top & bottom, that only leaves 10.05mm for movement, dial & internal bezel.
    ______

​Jim.

Well I’m very, very impressed! Dimensions are perfect, case finish is lovely, movement winds smoothly and the internal bezel and crown action is firm with no play.

The set you get is also very impressive. This feels every ounce a £1k watch IMO. As for the text issue, mine looks perfect. If it is actually misaligned then I genuinely don’t see it.

Well I’m very, very impressed! Dimensions are perfect, case finish is lovely, movement winds smoothly and the internal bezel and crown action is firm with no play.

The set you get is also very impressive. This feels every ounce a £1k watch IMO. As for the text issue, mine looks perfect. If it is actually misaligned then I genuinely don’t see it.
    According to CW forum a few dials are correctly centred, and someone on that forum got one of those in the sale. Maybe you got lucky.

My super compressor words are off centre ever so slightly. Not that you would notice unless you stare at it and know what you are looking for.

Enjoy your watch. I m very much enjoying mine.

A Super Super Compressor

Enjoy, smitten with mine and I don’t think my other watches will get a look in for a while. Think we have got a true bargain there.

A couple of alternative straps:

Looks great on the NATO!

The text is clearly off centre, but it’s not by much and for the price wouldn’t bother me at all.
    It's just a matter of time...

Blown up with my phone camera you're right, it's a smidge off. There's no way I can pick that out with the naked eye so all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Looks great on the NATO!

The text is clearly off centre, but it’s not by much and for the price wouldn’t bother me at all.

Yep, need a nato now....

There's no way I can pick that out with the naked eye
    I can’t even pick it up with my reading glasses on.

In addition the the straps I've shared here I have a black MN style single pass with orange stripe and a Hadley Roma sand canvas. I've also ordered a vintage leather rallye in brown and a milanese from Watchgecko.

Yep, need a nato now....

Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 20th January 2021 at 22:14.

A good start!

Twenty hours in (left dial up overnight) and it's + / - 0. Bang on accurate.

Twenty hours in (left dial up overnight) and it's + / - 0. Bang on accurate.
    Mine is pretty much spot on also, seems they have regulated them well.

Their's a few on eBay already.
    It will be interesting to see how much they go for.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app