closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Super Super Compressor

One on the bracelet went for £775 yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    Their's a few on eBay already.
    It will be interesting to see how much they go for.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    One on the bracelet went for £775 yesterday.
    Very cute to start the eBay sale after the black sand was sold out and deleted from CW webpage.

The only comparison is with the £1k blue ones. Hence the near 20% premium that has been commanded.

Quote Originally Posted by Quality Man View Post
    Mine is pretty much spot on also, seems they have regulated them well.
    When I got my Timegrapher I tested all my mechanical watches - My CW Makira was the most accurate of the lot, so nothing new here and actually made me revise my opinion of CW (upwards) quite a bit, as did handling the watch alongside all my others.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

A Super Super Compressor

Twenty hours in (left dial up overnight) and it's + / - 0. Bang on accurate.
    Mine is +5 secs over a 24 hour period. But I have been wearing it for 17 of those hours.

May try it again without wearing it and dial up.

Still it is just within COSC, even though it is not certified for it. Doing much better than the +/-20 secs as per the website.

I agree with everything that has been said about this watch , for a shade over £500 in the sale can't go wrong . The text on mine looks central so that's a bonus .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is my fave combo:

Anyone having crown issues with theirs? Mine doesn’t get to that ‘lock’ position, it feels spongy as though the crown gasket is too big. This results in the crown often unscrewing, not all the way out but maybe one turn.

Or maybe I’m not screwing it hard enough-wouldn’t be the first time I’ve heard that ;)

EDIT: it hasn’t budged all day so clearly I wasn’t screwing it in enough.
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 22nd January 2021 at 17:31.

No problems for me, yes you must screw harder!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Four seconds behind after 57 hours will do me fine.

Thoughts on this combo please. It’s a very nice quality bracelet I got from WatchGecko ages ago:

Thoughts on this combo please. It’s a very nice quality bracelet I got from WatchGecko ages ago:

You've got to be trolling with that gap.

It’s nowhere near that big in real life. Camera angles and shadows.

Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    You've got to be trolling with that gap.

It’s nowhere near that big in real life. Camera angles and shadows.
    I'd be trying one of these, they are superior quality to most cheap ones, not much to lose at this price
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_BTC5zj

I have the C Ward Tropic.

Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    I'd be trying one of these, they are superior quality to most cheap ones, not much to lose at this price
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_BTC5zj

It’s a no from me I’m afraid. I don’t think this is the easiest watch to match a strap too, black nato is your best so far I think.

Back on OEM Tropic:

Back on OEM Tropic:

I’m looking for a dark brown leather strap to match the dial, with orange stitching to match the hands and accents.

Have you tried WatchGecko?

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I’m looking for a dark brown leather strap to match the dial, with orange stitching to match the hands and accents.

Have you tried WatchGecko?
    Yep, but can’t see a dark brown with orange stitching combo

Sorry I've just checked for you as I knew they had orange stitch straps but they're both black.

Yep, but can’t see a dark brown with orange stitching combo

Sorry I've just checked for you as I knew they had orange stitch straps but they're both black.
    I think the Watch Gecko Four Oaks Vintage (chocolate brown) might do the trick, I think it needs a pretty plain strap as the dial is quite busy.

Journeyman
    Have you considered something like this?

Yes I ordered one last week, should be here tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by emb_164 View Post

Lume....

Quote Originally Posted by emb_164 View Post

Can you send me a purchase link this please.

Journeyman
    Can you send me a purchase link this please.

https://www.ukwatchstrap.co.uk/nato-...ange-FL19.html

This is the link for that exact strap.

You might want to look around for a slightly nicer weave that would be more comfortable. Maybe like this

https://watchbandit.com/product/two-...e-wb-original/

Master
    Having had the lld and the cward I'd say the CW is mile's better buildwise. The lld felt so cheap and flimsy I was pleased to get rid of it. On the other hand the CW is really solidly built and the bezel crown operates with a really precise click. Miles better than the lld

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    Having had the lld and the cward I'd say the CW is mile's better buildwise. The lld felt so cheap and flimsy I was pleased to get rid of it. On the other hand the CW is really solidly built and the bezel crown operates with a really precise click. Miles better than the lld
    Interesting, not had a Longines before but was disappointed by one I looked at for my wife (relatively cheap quartz model). I certainly would have thought the LLD would be at least similar to or not better than the CW.

Quote Originally Posted by Quality Man View Post
    Interesting, not had a Longines before but was disappointed by one I looked at for my wife (relatively cheap quartz model). I certainly would have thought the LLD would be at least similar to or not better than the CW.

Why should the LLD be better? Yes, it’s twice the cost, but a significant chunk of that cost is retail margins associated with significant markups added to effectively pay for a bricks and mortar AD business. Which is fair enough.

CW only sell online and have no middleman. It doesn’t mean because they are significantly cheaper they have to be inferior.

Buying the super compressor has really opened me up to the CW brand. Yes, it has got a dodgy logo, and yes the heritage is not there, but such offerings as the Sandhurst, Dartmouth and Trident Pro are really punching well above their price weight.

I don’t even see the use a Sellita movements as a major downside most watches at less than £2k (and a lot above) are using generic ETA/Sellita movements.

Why should the LLD be better? Yes, it’s twice the cost, but a significant chunk of that cost is retail margins associated with significant markups added to effectively pay for a bricks and mortar AD business. Which is fair enough.

CW only sell online and have no middleman. It doesn’t mean because they are significantly cheaper they have to be inferior.

Buying the super compressor has really opened me up to the CW brand. Yes, it has got a dodgy logo, and yes the heritage is not there, but such offerings as the Sandhurst, Dartmouth and Trident Pro are really punching well above their price weight.

I don’t even see the use a Sellita movements as a major downside most watches at less than £2k (and a lot above) are using generic ETA/Sellita movements.
    Buying this watch has certainly opened my eyes to what I thought was good value for money. I have a few Hamilton’s and at a discount or second hand they are great VFM but this CW beats them quite easily. It’s such a great watch I’m struggling to take it off!

A Super Super Compressor

There’s one popped up in the Christopher Ward clearance section for £600 on bracelet.

Edit - and gone.
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 27th January 2021 at 17:39.

For all I love mine I struggle with having a watch of this value. I know to some it's cheap and I owned a Seamaster for ten years but after years of enjoying (out of necessity) watches of a lower value, I find having this much in a watch instead of in my savings is quite uncomfortable.

I agree to an extent, but Longines is about the third largest watch brand in the world with Swatch buying power and access to at least some of its combined technologies. I’d assume that it is better made, with better equipment, better parts and a better movement, and evidently with better quality controls and regulation of movements; when compared to a company that needs to buy in almost every part from unassociated supplier.

Of course, CW state that they follow a cost plus selling model, but Longines will have huge economies of scale. If we take the AD’s buying price as a closer example of the price from the manufacturer then we aren’t far away ((I’d assume a 45-50% of retail buy in on Longines so using 50%, £1960 - VAT = £1633 / 2 = £816.50 (buy in)+ VAT = £980 - or just use half the RRP lol; compared to CW’s non-bracelet price of £895. At 45% the LLD would be £882)) - granted CW then hold sales on top of that, which most AD’s won’t sell under cost unless they really need to or need to rotate stock in a hurry.

Both at full retail, is the LLD twice the watch? Most likely no. But at a good discount it’s a lot closer in price, and then for me that’s were my money is.

Regardless of that, I really like the look of both.
    It's just a matter of time...

For all I love mine I struggle with having a watch of this value. I know to some it's cheap and I owned a Seamaster for ten years but after years of enjoying (out of necessity) watches of a lower value, I find having this much in a watch instead of in my savings is quite uncomfortable.
    Then move it on and move away from the pretty bauble. It’s nice to look at, and nice to hold, but once you’ve bought it, it’s already old ;)

It’s either a very sensible purchase, that you should just enjoy, and accept that over a few years the cost is almost irrelevant, or you change your mind set and stop buying things apart from the essentials.

Shame that this is now on SC, it’s a cracking watch but no point owning it if you are not comfortable. Don’t think you will have any issues getting your money back.

Craftsman
    I know you've stuck it up for sale but ref. the text, are you sure yours is mis-aligned?
    If you compare it to notAglove's it looks better aligned against the depth rating.

I had to reference the misalignment but I genuinely can't see it. See what you think:

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazie! View Post
    I know you've stuck it up for sale but ref. the text, are you sure yours is mis-aligned?
    If you compare it to notAglove's it looks better aligned against the depth rating.

I had to reference the misalignment but I genuinely can't see it. See what you think:

Yours is absolutely fine, no issues there. Might be worth more, one of the rare correct ones!

Yours is absolutely fine, no issues there. Might be worth more, one of the rare correct ones!

Sorry if I've missed it but does anyone know why the lume dots from 12 to 4 are a different colour from all the others and (judging from some pictures) not actually lumed?

Can't seem to find an explanation for this anywhere.

Obviously your call, but I think for the money you paid, you will not get a finer watch.

Is there anything other watches you can juggle around so you can keep this? I think it will be a later regret if you let it go.

But, if it has to go, at the end of the day it’s only a watch.

Grand Master
    Even though it isn’t a watch that appeals to me I’m impressed by the quality and value for money it represents.

I can’t work why Dave buys he watch, loves it, then gets remorse so quickly and decides it has to go.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Even though it isn’t a watch that appeals to me I’m impressed by the quality and value for money it represents.

I can’t work why Dave buys he watch, loves it, then gets remorse so quickly and decides it has to go.
    The thrill is in the chase.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC102 View Post
    Sorry if I've missed it but does anyone know why the lume dots from 12 to 4 are a different colour from all the others and (judging from some pictures) not actually lumed?

Can't seem to find an explanation for this anywhere.
    No, there's no explanation

M

Master
    The deep blue on blue tropic looks the dogs........

Should be a £100 code on the back of the next magazine issue which will bring it down to £795.

That’s the one, yeah that’s lovely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    No, there's no explanation

M
    Pictures I've seen show them lumed in a different colour (orangey) - It does look less bright in the pics above though.
    The reason being that 0-20mins (or 0-15) is often highlighted differently in divers watches. Think someone mentioned it earlier in this thread or maybe on the new incomings.
    Last edited by Kamakazie!; 28th January 2021 at 17:30.

The reason being that 0-20mins is often highlighted differently in divers watches.
    But it makes no logical sense on the fixed markers, as has been discussed before.

M

Pictures I've seen show them lumed in a different colour (orangey) - It does look less bright in the pics above though.
    The reason being that 0-20mins (or 0-15) is often highlighted differently in divers watches. Think someone mentioned it earlier in this thread or maybe on the new incomings.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    But it makes no logical sense on the fixed markers, as has been discussed before.

M
    Exactly. If it was the bezel markers, then I'd get it - although it's more usually just the first 15-minute arc that's differentiated.

This makes no sense and there doesn't even seem to be a flimsy marketing-speak explanation.

Master
    The reason being that 0-20mins (or 0-15) is often highlighted differently in divers watches.
    With the 0-15 minutes in a different colour on the bezel, I find it significantly easier to read the elapsed time at a glance underwater. But I’ve no clue why it’s different on the Super-compressor!

A quick update after a couple of weeks wear as I always think you have a slightly different view once the novelty has worn off. I am still impressed (quite smitten actually), the watch wears extremely well, the quality is certainly as good as it’s first impression, timekeeping is within four seconds a day.

Overall it is a superb package from a brand that wasn’t even on my radar (very average designs IMO up to this point)and I think from now on I have my new daily wearer.

And of course a photo.

They really did get the design right on this range.