closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Super Super Compressor

A Super Super Compressor

Hi all,

Thought I would do a quick mini review of a watch I received this morning.

Firstly, let me say I have never been a fan of Christopher Ward watches. That isnt to say I dont respect what they do as a business as I think we should applaud all our British watch brands, there just wasnt any of their watches that appealed to me.

Until now. When the C65 Super Compressor was launched it caught my eye not just because it was aesthetically pleasing but also the fact that they had resurrected an old technology and as a mechanical engineer I love stuff like this.

So at what I think is an excellent price (537) on the tropic strap one was ordered and it arrived this morning. The packaging is excellent and a step up from my Hamilton and Tag Heuer watches, also the guarantee booklet is signed by Mike France the CEO, a nice touch.

For the money I am pretty much astounded by the quality of this watch, the case finishing is excellent (close to that of my Omega SMPc), all the markers line up, the inner rotating bezel clicks nicely and even the strap is good.

The black sand dial (its brown) is something different for me and certainly has a 70s vibe to it. This is where the only quality niggle comes in, it has the misaligned red text but for me its not an issue, without my reading glasses on its all a blurr anyway!

To sum up I think at the sale price this offers a lot, great quality and technically interesting although I appreciate the brand is not for everyone.

A question for you, is there anything else that offers similar plus the added benefit of being brand new and Swiss made for approx 500?

Thanks,

Jonathan.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I have a similar feel for CW as you. But... that really is about the best resolved use of their branding that Ive seen, maybe apart from the simple Swiss/British symbol. Its also a great looking watch!

There is little apart from micro brands offering as much for the money, at least at the sale price. Of course for a little more some Longines etc. were available for between 40-50% off in the sales, but few are styled as nicely as the Super Compressor look, and even my well priced Longines LLD was significantly more than 500 at double the price.

If they had used that branding earlier and more consistently, I wouldnt have the same feel of being out off by a lot of their offerings.

I think youve got a great watch for a fantastic price 👍🏻
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Got to echo what Omegamanic has said there. Without knowing the price, I’d have suggested 700-800. Looks like easy strap changes too. I suspect that other members will now be checking that model out.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Got to echo what Omegamanic has said there. Without knowing the price, Id have suggested 700-800. Looks like easy strap changes too. I suspect that other members will now be checking that model out.
    As well as QR straps, the bracelet option is also QR and has a 4 position sliding adjustment on the clasp.

I have the Blue version which is currently with Christopher Ward getting the dial changed under warranty.
    I got an email from them yesterday saying it is being changed under warranty so I can't see any reason you couldn't claim under warranty for a new dial. The only down side to it is it's taking up to 10 weeks to turn around.
    So far they've had it 2 weeks to get the acknowledgement. Incidentally it's 102.00 for the dial if it wasn't under warranty.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

I've had a few CWs, but only my Makira remains (a friend of mine has a Titanium Makira which I'm quite envious of).

There are a few watches from them that I've liked, but never quite enough.

However, the Super Compressor is an absolute winner and I would definitely have one of the blue ones if I didn't already have an early Super Compressor watch.

The odd coloured lume on 12 to 4 aside, I think it's a great looking watch and the engineering in it is truly impressive.

I feel it's a watch CW can be truly proud of - They may make others, but this is the one that caught my attention.

For the sale price, it was almost too good not to buy!

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Thanks for the comments everyone.

A Super Super Compressor

That is one handsome watch. I like it a lot. Ive been umming and arrring for the last couple of days just to make sure I really want it.

And I do. So when Ive had my Friday pizza and a glass or three of wine I going to order one with the tan strap, if they have not sold out.

Nicest watch out there for 500ish. Full stop.

Never thought Id say that about a CW.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Got to agree. It looks great! Reminds me of the longines legend diver in terms or a relatively affordable slice of mechanical watch

A Super Super Compressor

Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    Got to agree. It looks great! Reminds me of the longines legend diver in terms or a relatively affordable slice of mechanical watch
    Exactly. I love the LLD, but actually think the CW looks nicer.

And at 25-30% of the cost it is a no brainier. Ok it lacks the heritage. But, so what when it looks that good.

Journeyman
    Looks great. Thanks for the real life photos.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Exactly. I love the LLD, but actually think the CW looks nicer.

And at 25-30% of the cost it is a no brainier. Ok it lacks the heritage. But, so what when it looks that good.
    Against new prices. Absolutely. But around half the price with either both discounted or at full price.

The CW has a real Super Compressor case too! But the CW does have a 38hr Sellita movement compared to a 65hr eta.

If the blue dial model was in the sale, I think I would have caved in by now :)
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 15th January 2021 at 22:27.

A Super Super Compressor

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Against new prices. Absolutely. But around half the price with either both discounted or at full price.

The CW has a real Super Compressor case too! But the CW does have a 38hr Sellita movement compared to a 65hr eta.

But, for a grand you are looking well used LLD probably with a couple of marks, and then it will probably need 250 on a service in the not too distant future.

As a opposed to a shinty new watch with a 5 year warranty.

I love the LLD, but the CW super compressor has surprised me a lot.

I agree about the black dial, but the black sand dial is not a major compromise for me

Always nice, alas half a thousand is not quite affordable for me, so why not more Seiko or Miyota equipped (semi)compressors out there...

The CW is a nice looking watch, but I can't be the only one enjoying the irony that the original EPSA Super-Compressor cases had a greater WR rating (666ft) than this new one (150m), despite 50 years of tehcnological advancement.

Lovely watch, congratulations. Whats the deal with the dials? Do you have to rely on pot luck as to whether your watch arrives with a dodgy dial?

That looks fantastic, well made and crisp. I always loved watches with two crowns. The colour combo is nice too.
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

Quote Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
    Always nice, alas half a thousand is not quite affordable for me, so why not more Seiko or Miyota equipped (semi)compressors out there...
    Im sure there are lots in the micro-band markets. Dan Henry made one, and RLG, NTH and:

https://wornandwound.com/introducing...29-and-srpb31/

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Lovely watch, congratulations. Whats the deal with the dials? Do you have to rely on pot luck as to whether your watch arrives with a dodgy dial?
    A guy on WUS posted yesterday that he had contacted CW and they confirmed all the black sand dials in the sale are misaligned.

The non sale blue dials have been corrected.

Master
    The recent sale had some astounding bargains, tempted with one but not got the funds atm sadly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks the part. Great buy
    The misaligned text is much ado about nothing.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 16th January 2021 at 10:58.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Looks the part. Great buy👍
    The misaligned text Asimov is much ado about nothing.
    Didnt think the text thing would bother me and it doesnt, alas I no longer have the eyes of a twenty year old...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    The CW is a nice looking watch, but I can't be the only one enjoying the irony that the original EPSA Super-Compressor cases had a greater WR rating (666ft) than this new one (150m), despite 50 years of tehcnological advancement.
    That's the snag really - it talks about its 'Super Compressor' heritage technology, but so what? Its 'only' WR to 150m which is only average for today's watches. The technology for high WR these days is widely known and cheap to do. Your high street retailer will probably have a selection of 200m WR watches for under 100. I'm tempted to buy one on looks alone though!

Quote Originally Posted by Quality Man View Post
    Thanks for the comments everyone.

Just ordered mine with. Ive got a couple of other divers on bracelets so went with the tan strap.

Im bored of the prices and hype around expensive watches now and focus on good value, good looking cheaper watches.

I honestly think my subC will see little wear time when I receive this super compressor.

Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    Incidentally it's 102.00 for the dial if it wasn't under warranty.
    I suppose if you wanted to be a bit cute, you could send your black sand watch back for a dial change and have a blue dial version for 639.

A guy on WUS posted yesterday that he had contacted CW and they confirmed all the black sand dials in the sale are misaligned.

The non sale blue dials have been corrected.
    Yep.

The first of the two blue dial versions apparently outsold the black sand dial by about 9:1.

The black sand has been discontinued, so other than replacing the dials with a correctly aligned one for customers that requested, I dont think they ordered anymore.

For the sale versions, you know you are buying at a price to reflect the misaligned dial text.

Just ordered mine with. Ive got a couple of other divers on bracelets so went with the tan strap.

Im bored of the prices and hype around expensive watches now and focus on good value, good looking cheaper watches.

I honestly think my subC will see little wear time when I receive this super compressor.
    I certainly think it is very good value and I have found I can get just as much enjoyment out of my cheaper watches (Hamiltons) as I can out of my Omega. Hope you like it when it arrives!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    Yep.

The first of the two blue dial versions apparently outsold the black sand dial by about 9:1.

The black sand has been discontinued, so other than replacing the dials with a correctly aligned one for customers that requested, I dont think they ordered anymore.

For the sale versions, you know you are buying at a price to reflect the misaligned dial text.
    Is there any chance theyd replace the dial with an aligned blue one?

Im guessing they dont have any aligned sand dials in stock, they must have all been defective

Journeyman
    It's a lovely looking watch. I'm a fan of the Dartmouth too.

Their branding is all over the place though and still annoys me.

Quote Originally Posted by emb_164 View Post
    Is there any chance theyd replace the dial with an aligned blue one?

Im guessing they dont have any aligned sand dials in stock, they must have all been defective

I might be wrong, but I think that all of the initial run were misaligned.

IIRC CW quickly acknowledged this and agreed to swap dials.

Maybe by that stage it was already clear that the black sand wasnt popular compared to the blue. Therefore not many to correct, before dropping the black sand...

But, for a grand you are looking well used LLD probably with a couple of marks, and then it will probably need 250 on a service in the not too distant future.

As a opposed to a shinty new watch with a 5 year warranty.

I love the LLD, but the CW super compressor has surprised me a lot.

I agree about the black dial, but the black sand dial is not a major compromise for me
    Its a great watch, you get a lot for your money and I hope you enjoy it.

My LLD, bought this year, new model with 65hr reserve was bought for around a grand, for brand new full warranty, so no need for a service or any concerns with marks etc.

Do they offer 5 year warranty on the CW? Only the silicon hairspring Longines actually get the new 5 year warranty.

Yes every model comes with a 5 year warranty. You can't really get any better for an independent.

Craftsman
    That is one handsome watch. I like it a lot. Ive been umming and arrring for the last couple of days just to make sure I really want it.

And I do. So when Ive had my Friday pizza and a glass or three of wine I going to order one with the tan strap, if they have not sold out.

Nicest watch out there for 500ish. Full stop.

Never thought Id say that about a CW.
    I hate to put temptation in your way but there are three strap variations (including the tan) available. I keep trying to resist one myself and the stock keeps altering.

A Super Super Compressor

Its a great watch, you get a lot for your money and I hope you enjoy it.

My LLD, bought this year, new model with 65hr reserve was bought for around a grand, for brand new full warranty, so no need for a service or any concerns with marks etc.

Do they offer 5 year warranty on the CW? Only the silicon hairspring Longines actually get the new 5 year warranty.
    I really love the LLD. I personally think it is the nicest watch and best bang for the buck available from the traditional Swiss watch makers with significant heritage.

You are very lucky to be able to buy it at that price. I could get nowhere near that price when I thought about buying an LLD.

The 5 year warranty on CW watches is for the whole movement.

All the Bracelet one's are gone. Only Rubber or leather remaining. Be quick gent's.
    Even tho I have the Blue on Bracelet I'm considering the Black / Brown on rubber just because it really is a bargain. Misaligned dial honestly you can barely tell because the writing is so small. I'm only having mine changed as it's available on warranty so why not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by sickie View Post
    All the Bracelet one's are gone. Only Rubber or leather remaining. Be quick gent's.
    Even tho I have the Blue on Bracelet I'm considering the Black / Brown on rubber just because it really is a bargain. Misaligned dial honestly you can barely tell because the writing is so small. I'm only having mine changed as it's available on warranty so why not use it.

Even though it is not explicitly stated, the 40% discount is the price for accepting minor flaw on the dial. Im sure they will just offer a refund if you make a fuss about it. Why should they offer blue dial replacements when those watches are so much more expensive. As I understand it they do not have corrected black sand dials.

My plan is to wear the black sand for a year or two, then chop it in for the deep blue dial if that is allowable. As 102, its a cheap way to refresh your watch and get even more enjoyment.

Master
    Even though it is not explicitly stated, the 40% discount is the price for accepting minor flaw on the dial. Im sure they will just offer a refund if you make a fuss about it. Why should they offer blue dial replacements when those watches are so much more expensive. As I understand it they do not have corrected black sand dials.
    I think that not mentioning the problem dial is a bit naughty!!! OK, if they were up front, that's fine, but not to sneak it in announced. I assumed that they were merely old photos - I'd have been seriously annoyed if they'd sent me a watch with a known flaw. I guess they are banking on the fact that most people aren't as anal as us WIS types on this forum!!!

I think this photo shows the watch off quite well. If anyone is wavering due to the text it really isnt an issue in real life as the text is so small.....

Master
    I bought a cw in the sale and I must say Im tempted by this too. I do like the dark blue dial that has just been released.

Having looked and looked and looked again at these I really think either blue dial on the tropic rubber could actually persuade me to be a one-watch man. Only problem is....I don't have 895.

I might have to do some man maths that includes selling all of my watches.

EDIT: I can afford it if I sell everything....damn it, I didn't want to have to make that decision. Or I could sell some and buy the dodgy-brown one? Hmmm.
    Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 17th January 2021 at 16:22.

Having looked and looked and looked again at these I really think either blue dial on the tropic rubber could actually persuade me to be a one-watch man. Only problem is....I don't have 895.

I might have to do some man maths that includes selling all of my watches.

EDIT: I can afford it if I sell everything....damn it, I didn't want to have to make that decision. Or I could sell some and buy the dodgy-brown one? Hmmm.
    Dodgy brown one, and then change the dial to ocean or deep blue sometime in the future for 102.

That is what I intend to do.

Good plan

Dodgy brown one, and then change the dial to ocean or deep blue sometime in the future for 102.

That is what I intend to do.

In 50 years, when CW is considered the best watch brand in the world, those offset type Black Sand dials are going to be worth a fortune ;)

Im still weighing one up. Ive been very vocal of my take on CW branding being my main issue with them, and this solves that area. Its also a great looking watch.

Im just left with the offset type, and the on-line comment relating to how easy it is to known the crown inadvertently which moves the inner time elapsed dial. As like most similar watches, its not a screw down crown.
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 17th January 2021 at 17:28.

Good plan
    0% APR on anything over 500, makes it 45 per month over 12 months.

In 50 years, when CW is considered the best watch brand in the world, those offset type Black Sand dials are going to be worth a fortune ;)

Im still weighing one up. Ive been very vocal of my take on CW branding being my main issue with them, and this solves that area. Its also a great looking watch.

Im just left with the offset type, and the on-line comment relating to how easy it is to known the crown inadvertently which moves the inner time elapsed dial. As like most similar watches, its not a screw down crown.
    It is a risk free purchase given the 60 day free returns. Whereas CW dont hold their value very well, they have shown that they are not willing to discount the blue version.

So, when the black sand is discontinued shortly, the only option will pay 900 (or a hundred less with one of their usual vouchers).

Therefore, I reckon even if you flip it in a year or two, you wont lose much on it, so it will cost buttons to own.

It is a risk free purchase given the 60 day free returns. Whereas CW don’t hold their value very well, they have shown that they are not willing to discount the blue version.

So, when the black sand is discontinued shortly, the only option will pay 900 (or a hundred less with one of their usual vouchers).

Therefore, I reckon even if you flip it in a year or two, you won’t lose much on it, so it will cost buttons to own.
    I'm near certain the blue one was included in the sale at the beginning for the same price.

For what is worth I really like the black sand dial(misaligned text aside), although I do have a dial similar on another watch so would rule it out for me.

It’s a similar total outlay to a discounted Certina DS-200h blue, which I’ve really liked since seeing the release. I’m sure SC might put one up at some stage if I decide to go ahead with the CW but miss out.

& I’ve still got far too many watches for sense.

Aaaannnnd....ordered. As others have said, it's a risk-free purchase. I could have taken the 45 pm option but would rather just buy it and sell a couple of bits.

I'll post pics and a mini review here when it arrives.

A Super Super Compressor

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    I'm near certain the blue one was included in the sale at the beginning for the same price.

For what is worth I really like the black sand dial(misaligned text aside), although I do have a dial similar on another watch so would rule it out for me.
    If you go over to the Christopher Ward forum someone posted a screenshot of all the sale watches on days one. It on the Jan sale thread around page 6 or 7 IIRC.

No deep blue watch was in the sale. Ocean blue on bracelet was in the sale but it was nearly new and priced at 700. Presumably it was a return so the ocean blue watch was not widely discounted either, maybe just one or two returns.

Edit : it is page 7. Or post #102 if you are using Tapatalk

https://www.christopherwardforum.com...55679&start=90
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 17th January 2021 at 18:09.

Aaaannnnd....ordered. As others have said, it's a risk-free purchase. I could have taken the 45 pm option but would rather just buy it and sell a couple of bits.

I'll post pics and a mini review here when it arrives.
    What strap colour did you go for?