closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any series love?

Any series love?

I’m losing my love for these vehicles of late and there’s only so many seized and rotted bolts one man can cope with. Thought I’d show some of Landy guys on here a few pics of one of our latest jobs which has been challenging to say the least. In general the car is in quite good condition however I’m paying the price now for someone’s else’s shortcuts over the years.
    I’ve never seen seatbelt anchorage points held in with M6 bolts and some of the “‘shortcuts have been questionable to say the least. This job is a complete new rear cross member replace which incorporates rear spring hangers and a gearbox and transfer box renewal. Sadly these old girls have to have major surgery on the inside for the gearbox to come out.

Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 28th April 2021 at 21:14.

Jeez D, major surgery indeed!.

The notion of a Series has always fascinated me, but to get to the point you are clearly trying to get this one to is fraught with problems as you have illustrated.

Great piece of history!.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

My Dad had a Series III Carawagon (bought new and converted by Searle). Many fond memories of family holidays both in the UK and abroad. Sadly he sold it in the 80s. I've never been able to track it down. I have a cracking Defender 90 TD5 now but would sell it instantly (and some watches) if I could find FPF277J.

I keep deluding myself that when I retire next year, I will buy an old Series III and restore it but I have neither the space nor the tools. Those old Land Rovers were of their time but that time was 50 odd years ago.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Jeez D, major surgery indeed!.

The notion of a Series has always fascinated me, but to get to the point you are clearly trying to get this one to is fraught with problems as you have illustrated.

Great piece of history!.
    Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    My Dad had a Series III Carawagon (bought new and converted by Searle). Many fond memories of family holidays both in the UK and abroad. Sadly he sold it in the 80s. I've never been able to track it down. I have a cracking Defender 90 TD5 now but would sell it instantly (and some watches) if I could find FPF277J.

I keep deluding myself that when I retire next year, I will buy an old Series III and restore it but I have neither the space nor the tools. Those old Land Rovers were of their time but that time was 50 odd years ago.

The reality of ownership must be something that you come to live with, let’s face it you’ll always be either doing something or dipping your hand in your pocket.
    Creature comforts are a bit sparse on the ground with these and I’m not so sure I could own one off these now tbh. I’ve a lot of love for them on an historical, nostalgic level but that’s about it.

Surely that's only fit for scrap?

I have a cracking Defender 90 TD5 now but would sell it instantly (and some watches) if I could find FPF277J.

I could put some feelers out...where have you looked?

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    No not really, the rest of the chassis is very good, as the saying goes....if the chassis is good everything less is just nuts and bolts.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    I have a cracking Defender 90 TD5 now but would sell it instantly (and some watches) if I could find FPF277J.

I could put some feelers out...where have you looked?

A few years back I posted on the Land Rover forums, checked on the DVLA website and armed with some photos, I spoke to people at the Driffield Land Rover show and the Classic Car Show at the Xcel Centre, just to see if anyone knew about it. It was sold to a friend of my Dad's who lived somewhere in Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    A few years back I posted on the Land Rover forums, checked on the DVLA website and armed with some photos, I spoke to people at the Driffield Land Rover show and the Classic Car Show at the Xcel Centre, just to see if anyone knew about it. It was sold to a friend of my Dad's who lived somewhere in Yorkshire.

So it’s likely in someone’s field covered in brambles, just checked and it’s not showing on the mot checker which probably means it’s not been motd for at least 10 years plus. Are you on FB?

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    So it’s likely in someone’s field covered in brambles, just checked and it’s not showing on the mot checker which probably means it’s not been motd for at least 10 years plus. Are you on FB?
    No, I don't do any social media (other than TZ-UK which can be quite anti-social at times!).

I would have to draw the line if it had been living in a field for the last decade as the cost of a total restore would probably be grounds for divorce!

Master
    Myself and the kids love them, a mates got a series 3a it spends more time needing repair than on the road, but when it's working it never fails to put a smile on your face, from the lights going out when driving along, to burying it up to the axles along with the trailer we were towing.

I'd have one in a heartbeat but the wife detests them, she's slowly coming around to a Disco as a s come car.

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

I love them and keep being tempted by 2a's. I bought one many, many years ago from an auction with a seized clutch. The 6 mile drive home, with no tax, mot or insurance in low range 2nd was the longest hour of my life! Had to remove the gearbox from inside as shown but in the road on our street without the help of an engine crane.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    The chassis at the front is usually well preserved by the various oils that leak out of the engine bay.

This is mine (as of a few weeks ago)

1953 86".
    Re-imported from Aus, it needs a total strip, but the lack of rot is utterly amazing.
    I have been over the whole chassis, and can see one small patch that requires repair, and only the top rail of the bulkhead needs repair as well. The rest is all fine, and never has been repaired before.
    The one exception is the bizarre addition of coil springs on the rear, mounted between the leaf springs and the chassis.
    Eventually it will end up with a totally repainted chassis, but a patinated body (there is a lot more bronze green on it than the photo suggests).
    I cannot strip it until I have got it registered, as they may come and inspect it, and they need to see a whole vehicle.
    So at present I am prepping bits and bobs, and making long shopping lists of parts.............

Dave

PS - Just checked the tax status of FPF277J - the last V5 was issued 22nd April 1980, and it is untaxed - so likely to be an ex-Landy I'm afraid
    Last edited by sweets; 29th April 2021 at 13:52. Reason: add ps

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    The one exception is the bizarre addition of coil springs on the rear, mounted between the leaf springs and the chassis.
    That is lovely, when I bought my 2a back in the early 80's it had a painted over towing sticker and holes in the bed where presumably a Harvey Frost crane had been mounted. The ride was always bone jarring but as I'd never been in another Land Rover and didn't know anyone who had I assumed this was normal. The only time the ride seemed OK was when I picked up an engine for a friend. When I eventually decided to sell it, the chap buying it took one look underneath and said " i see you have heavy duty spring assisters fitted" - dohhh.