closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 F1 Thread.

2021 F1 Thread.

I thought it might be worth starting this thread as the season will hopefully will start again in March, and which is shaping up be a belter.

Alonso joining Alpine (under new management), alongside Ocon
    Vettel to Aston Martin (Tracing Point 2.0) alongside Stroll (Sr and Jnr) - a new start for Seb
    Danny to McLaren along side Norris - now with Mercedes power
    Sainz to Ferrari alongside LeClerc - should be spicy
    Perez to Redbull alongside Max - should be very spicy.
    Mick Jnr joining Haas alongside someone, nobody really cares about
    Tsunoda joining Alphatori alongside Gasly
    No change at Alfa - Kimi remains (which surprised me to be honest)
    No change (currently) at Williams - but under new management.

and finally Hamilton alongside Bottas (or perhaps Russell at some point), or will it be Bottas and Russell given that Hamilton still hasnt officially signed a contract yet.

All of which should create some very interesting inter team dynamics as well as interesting battles between teams. Perhaps the most interesting will be Mercedes Vs Redbull vs Aston Martin vs McLaren (if they have been able to fit the new PU, although I dont expect them to be in the frame until mid season) and Ferrari. Plus AT vs Renault and hopefully Williams (yep I think we will see a big improvement this season). I dont see Alfa and Haas doing much to be honest, but happy to be surprised.

No idea who will win the WCC and WDC, however Hamilton and Mercedes are mostly favourites given the small number of changes to regs this year and having the most stable team set up, but Mercedes will be without DAS so that levels the playing field a bit. That said, Ferrari cannot be worse than 2020, plus Aston Martin, Redbull and McLaren have stronger teams than last year.

The real wildcard in all of this is Renault. The PU is good enough (just), but will Alonso have the X Factor. He has the speed, skill and ego, but he also the attitude.

Anywhoo fingers crossed all the races take place (just a shame that Turkey isnt currently on the list), and WE can avoid the personal attacks and nasty comments directed at members and or drivers/teams. Nasty comments towards Tilke tracks, the FIA and Liberty are of course welcome

Enjoy the season.

Revised F1 2021 calendar

March 28 - Bahrain (Sakhir)
    April 18 - Italy (Imola)*
    May 2 - TBC (TBC)
    May 9 - Spain (Barcelona)
    May 23 - Monaco (Monaco)
    June 6 - Azerbaijan (Baku)
    June 13 - Canada (Montreal)
    June 27 - France (Le Castellet)
    July 4 - Austria (Spielberg)
    July 18 - United Kingdom (Silverstone)
    August 1 - Hungary (Budapest)
    August 29 - Belgium (Spa)
    September 5 - Netherlands (Zandvoort)
    September 12 - Italy (Monza)
    September 26 - Russia (Sochi)
    October 3 - Singapore (Singapore)
    October 10 - Japan (Suzuka)
    October 24 - USA (Austin)
    October 31 - Mexico (Mexico City)
    November 7 - Brazil (Sao Paulo)
    November 21 - Australia (Melbourne)*
    December 5 - Saudi Arabia (Jeddah)**
    December 12 - Abu Dhabi (Abu Dhabi)

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

What is the situation with Hamilton, currently?

Is he still being a demanding child and risking Toto telling him to sod off, or is it all just for the PR and media?

ETA - I’d love to see Russel get a Merc drive, but that would be fantastic if it was Russ/Ham and not Russ/Bott. Not going to happen though, is it?
    Last edited by mr noble; 15th January 2021 at 00:15.

Master
    Can this thread remain free of criticising / discussing Hamiltons off track character. Its boring to read and frankly painful and drags on and on.

If you want to discuss Hamiltons life and character start a new thread.

Master
    Very much expect it to be a contest for
    2nd behind Hamilton but its going to be a bit spicy as you put it for sure, Ferrari will be interesting, if they can sort the car out they have a great driver pairing.
    Red bull with checo and max also very strong and competitive so heres hoping for a good season and some more different race winners

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Oh and Id really like to see Turkey have a race again, I always liked Istanbul park and an incident packed race this time so would be a welcome return

Master
    Will be interesting to see what the close season holds in store for cockwomble, I hope he re signs with Merc but at demands within reason. Think Russell has made his place of negotiation less than favourable. Personally? would bin Bottas, blood Russell and allow CW a run at an historical season so long as he gets his demands in order, if for no other reason that to put Alonso deep inside his box, not a fan, never have been, never will be. A good driver? absolutely. All i can say is, you reap what you sow and what goes around comes around. Cheated his way to a championship, an extremely political animal and to date has got what he deserves. Doesn't make him any less talented but can't see Ocon troubling him this season especially if he has his number 1 status written in to his contract..............as usual.

Merc - Hopefully CW re signs, if not would love to see Russell get the drive and see the start of the Max / Charles / George rivalry of the next decade start. Bottas a spent force, only a matter of time before he heads to Indycar.

Red Bull - seriously hope Perez is allowed to, and has the talent to, put some manners on that arrogant twat "its never my fault" Verstappen. I believe he has and think this will be a defining season for one of the two. I really look forward to seeing how that pans out although i will say Chico is on the back foot from the get go given the one eyed wonders god worship of Max. Personally think that Le Clerc is the more talented on the duo that is Max / Charles from their history through the lower series, but he needs the car under him to show this and can Ferrari deliver? seriously doubt it but would be good to see.

Ferrari - for me the next decade will be the Le Clerc / Max / George Russell show assuming all get decent race seats, in this case Ferrari can deliver a decent race car. Personally think Sainz is one of the most underrated drivers on the grid, however he will end up as (hopefully) a good number 2 to the talent that is Le Clerc. Will push him but inevitably be Ferraris number 2.

McLaren - please God with Merc power Danny Ric gets the opportunity to shine, although i do think he will go down in history as having made the wrong choices, should really have stayed with Renault (Alpine) and did a number on Alonso to show his worth. Norris is an exceptional talent and it will be nip and tuck between DR and Lando all season, one i am really looking forward to seeing.

Aston Martin - Stroll senior says he is there to win WC's, well to do that you need to bin both drivers and recruit some talent. Vettel past it, not that I'm convinced he ever had it other than in a seriously superior machine and from out in front, and Stroll Jnr well god bless him he never had and will never have it, may as well build a wide bodied version of the car and put this fat 53yr old in it.

Alpha Tauri - Really looking forward to see how Gasly steps up this year, one of my drivers of the 2020 season. TBH I expected more from him at RB but the Max syndrome i think swallowed him up, good to see his talent come through in 2020. Look forward to seeing him progress in 2021 and expect to see him at Alpine from 2022 on.

Alpine - return of the ego, will no doubt prove better than Ocon by fair means or fowl, a solid 5th maybe as a team pushing 4th but i hope not. Want Lando and DR to kick their collective arses.

Haas - who really cares, nothing other than kindergarten for Mick to see if he can step up. Seriously hoping that they see the error of their ways and get that russian plank out of the car before he causes them some more serious PR issues or his father shoots someone.

Alfa - I love Kimi, balls out racer always was always will be but spent, retire. The other one whoever he is just less than average, other racing series await.

Williams - please god Russell gets a Merc seat, other than that nothing to see here.
    Last edited by Nev; 14th January 2021 at 23:49.

Master
    Looking forward to the season ahead - hopefully with a McLaren resurgence and some close battles across the field.

Craftsman
    My company just announced the sponsorship of Aston Martin. Exciting stuff.

Sent from my SM-T510 using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    What is the situation with Hamilton, currently?

Is he still being a demanding child and risking Toto telling him to sod off, or is it all just for the PR and media?

ETA - Id love to see Russel get a Merc drive, but that would be fantastic if it was Russ/Ham and not Russ/Bott. Not going to happen though, is it?

Not sure I understand this. First you are asking about the situation, then you are telling us he is a demanding child and risking being told to sod off - what is it?

Actually I imagine its like most contractual negotiations, nobody knows except those involved.

Current speculation (depend on the media source) includes.

The deal is already done and Hamilton/Mercedes are just living the head of other teams/media/fans for free.
    Hamilton wants a 1 year contract - Mercedes wants a 4 year contract - or visa versa.
    Hamilton wants the car livery to remain black rather than 3rd Reich Silver - or visa versa
    Hamilton wants a zillion dollars a week Vs Mercedes wants Hamilton to pay them to drive their car.
    Hamilton wants more access to his image rights Vs Mercedes wants to pimp him out.

Personally I think the deal was done pretty much as soon as Wolff signed his contract. A bit more money, more control on his imagine rights, perhaps a reduction in corporate hospitality activities and a future role within Mercedes once he retires from driving. But one actually knows outside the discussion.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by rdesouza View Post
    My company just announced the sponsorship of Aston Martin. Exciting stuff.

Sent from my SM-T510 using TZ-UK mobile app

Cool, back in the day when HP sponsored Williams, factory visits and passes for some GPs were included.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Friedrich Nietzsche

According to Sky News, Lewis has signed a 1 year contract with Mercedes. Strange it's such a short deal, he has always had multi year deals in the past.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ziphos View Post
    According to Sky News, Lewis has signed a 1 year contract with Mercedes. Strange it's such a short deal, he has always had multi year deals in the past.
    That's not good news, I wanted George in the seat, oh well never mind. Probably one year owing to the change of regs for 2022

Master
    Ive a feeling Lewis will go for the 8th title and call it a day to be honest, look for a new challenge

Quote Originally Posted by ziphos View Post
    If you watch the Sky F1 video, it gives a pretty good explanation as why its only one year.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    I think Mercedes have been shrewd here; Im positive that Russel will join in 2022; question is, will it be Hamilton, Bottas or A.N Other thats his team mate (Id love to see Lando and George, both at Mercedes).

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Ive a feeling Lewis will go for the 8th title and call it a day to be honest, look for a new challenge

Hmm, I am not so sure. He will be only 37, and Kimi is still driving at 42 (and Hamilton keeps himself in way better shape than Kimi ) . Plus he just watched Tom Brady win his 7th Super Bowl at 43. Legend!

Also his entire life is racing single seaters. It pretty much all he knows. I think he will only go when he feels he cannot deliver on track and thats not now. He will also want to test himself under the new regs. If he goes before 2022, then people will question his previous titles and say he was afraid to drive under the new regs, which Hamilton will not enjoy.

So my view is that he will be sat in Mercedes 44 in 2022, however the big question will be who is sitting next to him. Bottas or Russell?

Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Guido-K View Post
    I think Mercedes have been shrewd here; Im positive that Russel will join in 2022; question is, will it be Hamilton, Bottas or A.N Other thats his team mate (Id love to see Lando and George, both at Mercedes).
    It would be great to see those two racing in the same team

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

I really want to see 'primary' drivers challenged, or ideally embarrassed, by the 'secondary'.

Not to be nasty but just for a bit of spice, e.g.

checo > verstappen,
    sainz > leclerc,
    ricciardo > norris (okay, 'primary' is a bit of a stretch in this example - but let's go with experienced), and

..... pray for it (for the giggles - not because I'm a LH hater) ....

russell > hamilton (even though it would take a broken leg by a certain Finn, nothing too nasty - natch)
    Last edited by Merod; 8th February 2021 at 17:48.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Hmm, I am not so sure. He will be only 37, and Kimi is still driving at 42 (and Hamilton keeps himself in way better shape than Kimi ) . Plus he just watched Tom Brady win his 7th Super Bowl at 43. Legend!

Also his entire life is racing single seaters. It pretty much all he knows. I think he will only go when he feels he cannot deliver on track and thats not now. He will also want to test himself under the new regs. If he goes before 2022, then people will question his previous titles and say he was afraid to drive under the new regs, which Hamilton will not enjoy.

So my view is that he will be sat in Mercedes 44 in 2022, however the big question will be who is sitting next to him. Bottas or Russell?
    There is weight to that theory too, I just have a feeling a big money deal for something else will come along or he will throw it all into electric motorsport

Would love to see George or Lando in a Mercedes .. or both!

Master

2021 F1 Thread.

Its not pretty much all he knows though is it. In fact Id say away from racing he has more going on than any other F1 driver.
    He loves his music, he loves fashion, he loves social media.
    Lewis is pretty busy when hes not doing F1 stuff.
    I think if he wins the title again this year, the only thing that will keep him in F1 after that would be getting the contract HE wants.
    Do you really think a seven time world champion who wants to stay in the sport for a number of years would be happy with a one year contract?
    Well never know but I believe Lewis was told this is the contract on offer, take it or leave it and he took it because it gives him the opportunity to beat Schumacher and not just tie with him for world titles.
    Last edited by jaytip; 9th February 2021 at 12:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    There is weight to that theory too, I just have a feeling a big money deal for something else will come along or he will throw it all into electric motorsport
    Surely he's already done that and moved on?

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I saw an interesting article which suggested that one of the penalties given to Ferrari for their engine indiscretions was a reduction in the amount of fuel they were allowed to use during 2020.

This came from Mika Salo https://www.planetf1.com/news/ferrar...ating-scandal/

Hopefully now that the penalty has been served, and the new regs are in, we will see them improving.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Surely he's already done that and moved on?

M
    Ha very good Id completely forgotten about this, I remember seeing it and wanting a nitro buggy myself, these arent the electric variants I used to race

I saw an interesting article which suggested that one of the penalties given to Ferrari for their engine indiscretions was a reduction in the amount of fuel they were allowed to use during 2020.

This came from Mika Salo https://www.planetf1.com/news/ferrar...ating-scandal/

Hopefully now that the penalty has been served, and the new regs are in, we will see them improving.
    Hes back tracked and said it was a joke but sounds plausible to me

Well finally we have arrived at the first meaningful contest, and very interesting it was to.

Max managed to maintain his form in Practice to beat Hamilton for pole by 0.02 second.
    Bottas got a creditable 3rd, but continues to underwhelm despite all his talk.
    Ferrari are back, qualifying 4th (LeClerc) after being put under huge pressure by Carlos
    McLaren have clearly benefited from the change in engine, although the Hondas were very strong.
    Excellent effort by Gasly, but for me the stand out was by Alonso. The old dog still has pace.

Disappointments for me were Sergio (who gambled on tires and lost) and Aston Martin. Vettel for not getting out of Q1 and Stroll only getting 10th and behind the Alpine). Williams, Haas, and Alfa continue to look like the runts of the litter.

However, its only the first qualifying at the first race, so very very early days, and I think we will see a few shocks over the year, but it remains a 2.5 horse race.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Well finally we have arrived at the first meaningful contest, and very interesting it was to.

Max managed to maintain his form in Practice to beat Hamilton for pole by 0.02 second.
    Bottas got a creditable 3rd, but continues to underwhelm despite all his talk.
    Ferrari are back, qualifying 4th (LeClerc) after being put under huge pressure by Carlos
    McLaren have clearly benefited from the change in engine, although the Hondas were very strong.
    Excellent effort by Gasly, but for me the stand out was by Alonso. The old dog still has pace.

Disappointments for me were Sergio (who gambled on tires and lost) and Aston Martin. Vettel for not getting out of Q1 and Stroll only getting 10th and behind the Alpine). Williams, Haas, and Alfa continue to look like the runts of the litter.

However, its only the first qualifying at the first race, so very very early days, and I think we will see a few shocks over the year, but it remains a 2.5 horse race.
    Agree, it was interesting.
    I thought the advantage Max had over LH was a little more than that in the end, 4/10 perhaps. Max pulled out an amazing lap. I would still have Lewis as favourite for the race, but would love for Max to win it and liven this season up from race 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Agree, it was interesting.
    I thought the advantage Max had over LH was a little more than that in the end, 4/10 perhaps. Max pulled out an amazing lap. I would still have Lewis as favourite for the race, but would love for Max to win it and liven this season up from race 1.

You are right, the gap was a smidge under 0.4 seconds. So actually quite significant.

I think I looked at Q2 times.

I doubt Hamilton will be to stressed at the moment. 23 races and I am sure Max will drop the ball at least a couple of times.

Friedrich Nietzsche

No spoilers, but if you havent seen the race, or know the result, its well worth watching. Very exciting.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master

2021 F1 Thread.

Agree with a lot of what you said there Andy, slightly feel for Sergio though, having to reset the car on the formation lap arguably put him more on the back foot than tyres from the off, too recovery really all things considered

Max / Lewis close and battling, and seeing Lando and Leclerc back on the pace would suggest that we have a good season ahead

Alonso worked a minor miracle with that car, he really is a fantastic driver even if he is a bit silly at times and sulks!

A very interesting P1 and P2 today. The RedBull continue to impress speed wise, but the Perez accident and Max getting shafted (literally) most likely spoilt Horners supper. Excellent showing by Gasly who is starting to look the real deal in the AT along with Yuki. Ferrari turnaround is also looking very promising, but Charles needs to stop putting his car in the wall. Williams also looked quite good (for them) and hopefully they can get a driver into Q2. Giovinazzi is looking pretty handy as well, especially compared with Kimi, who seems to have checked out

Less impressive were Alpine, Aston Martin and McLaren, but I imagine there focus remains on 2022. Haas must be calculating the cost of the damage Mazepin does to his cars, vs the amount of money they get from his dad. You spin me right round baby, right round.

Finally we have Mercedes. Looks as if Lewis took a $10m salary cut, so is now earning only $5m more than Max. The reason given was that he felt bad because of the salary cuts and redundancies suffered within the rest of team. I believe him, but others wouldnt. In terms of practice, Mercedes proved again that form is temporary, but class is permanent, with Bottas setting best times in P1 and P2, with Hamilton being second but a few 100ths. Admittedly Maxs P2 session was curtailed early, but thats not really Mercedes problem.

Qualifying should be quite a close affair with Mercedes, Ferrari, RedBull and AT all being in the mix.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Well qualifying was interesting. Not so much Hamilton beating Bottas (his days are numbered), but Sergio beating Max.

Lando showed so real pace, but still managed to finish behind Danny. LeClerc marked a return to form for Ferrari, but Carlos was poor. Ocon showed pace, and hammered Alonso. Stroll panted Vettel. Good performance by Williams who are slowly getting better.

Its raining and all about to kick off. Very exciting.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Every time the camera shows Toto Wolf his mask is below his nose in this race and all previous from this and last season. Clearly he's arrogant enough to believe that the rules don't apply to him as he's obviously not stupid. Someone really should have a word.
    Last edited by Skier; 18th April 2021 at 19:57.

Craftsman
    Great opening 2-races.
    I hope the the rest of the season is as entertaining.

really enjoyed the race... Hamilton got somewhat lucky with that red flag - but did well (as usual) afterward. great to see Ferrari showing some pace

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyzzj View Post
    really enjoyed the race... Hamilton got somewhat lucky with that red flag - but did well (as usual) afterward. great to see Ferrari showing some pace
    .. and McLaren challenging near the front.

Max wins a race by 25secs - this is the sort of racing we want to see 😂

But neither the less a great race, but I feel shortchanged because we didnt see Max and Lewis actually battle on track, other than the first lap (a very aggressive move by Max forcing Lewis off track, but first lap and it is racing after all, but we can image the reaction from Max fans if Hamilton did it to him. Personally I cannot help thinking he would have had Max on slicks, (he was closing very quickly before his off, but we will never know because of his error). A great and exciting recovery by Lewis all the same. Plus I get the impression Hamilton really enjoyed his race and the competition.

Other points worthy of note. Great drive by Lando, even if he did get the benefit of team orders. I imagine Danny will be a little p/ssed off.

Great work by the Ferrari boys, but as Lando and Hamilton demonstrated, they still have a lot of work to do.

Regarding the Bottas and Russell incident - I thought it was Russells fault. True that Bottas moved but it was very slight and Russell was the one who dropped it on the grass. Hopefully George will learn from it.

The biggest losers today however were Sergio (a very disappointing race following excellent qualifying) and Bottas, who had a absolutely awful weekend other than his practice. So failed on Saturday and Sunday. I have little doubt that Toto is starting to think about alternatives which might include Lando - who might be a great fit for Mercedes. As for Vettel, Kimi and Alonso - meh!

Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by tommyzzj View Post

He was very lucky, but he still had to chase down and pass 7 other cars to get his podium. There are very few other drivers that could have done that.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Max didnt force Lewis off the track at all. Max was ahead of Lewis, Lewis tried coming around the outside of the left hander and didnt leave himself enough room to make the right hand turn because he was going to fast. Had he slowed down, Max would have remained ahead of him anyway. Max simply took the racing line which he was entitled to do as he was in the lead.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Max didnt force Lewis off the track at all. Max was ahead of Lewis, Lewis tried coming around the outside of the left hander and didnt leave himself enough room to make the right hand turn because he was going to fast. Had he slowed down, Max would have remained ahead of him anyway. Max simply took the racing line which he was entitled to do as he was in the lead.
    If you can find it, there is an overhead view of the incident. Max is not ahead, he is level (which is why their front wheels touch - if he had been ahead then this would be an impossibility), Max runs wide to the edge of the track. Hamilton is now on the outside and because two cars cannot occupy the same space (something that Bottas and Russell proved) he has to run wide. Max did not leave a car width, but its a tight corner.

Its a first lap racing incident so no need to get stressed, but dont kid yourself it didnt happen.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Master

2021 F1 Thread.

You mean these overhead shots which clearly show Max ahead and taking the racing line.
    Andy you have such a hard on for Lewis that you cannot accept when Lewis does something wrong. While he didnt exactly do anything wrong here, neither did Max, but in your eyes alone, Max forced him off the track.
    You and you alone are the reason there is another F1 thread in the BP that thankfully you cant access and spoil with your incessant fawning of Lewis Hamilton.
    Ill give this F1 thread a miss from now on and just post in the BP thread instead.

Last edited by jaytip; 19th April 2021 at 00:39.

Andy you have such a hard on for Lewis......

You and you alone are the reason there is another F1 thread in the BP
    Well said Jaytip

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    Every time the camera shows Toto Wolf his mask is below his nose in this race and all previous from this and last season. Clearly he's arrogant enough to believe that the rules don't apply to him as he's obviously not stupid. Someone really should have a word.
    In his defence, he has got quite a big hooter.

With all the millions they spend on engineering, they are still struggling to find masks that will stay up, especially when talking. Most of the driver's masks seem to be working OK this year. Steve Jones on C4 commentary is a serial offender. Yesterday DC had given up on the official black masks everyone else was using and gone back to the standard issue "NHS" light blue masks all of us other mortals wear.

Craftsman
    Regarding the Bottas and Russell incident - I thought it was Russells fault. True that Bottas moved but it was very slight and Russell was the one who dropped it on the grass. Hopefully George will learn from it.
    Regardless of who was a fault (and I think it was Russell), his behaviour afterwards (slapping Bottas' helmet, and throwing a tantrum) was inexcusable. I hope Toto gives him a dressing down, and talks some sense into him. Toto needs to pinch this in the bud, and to get Russell to accept a) he was in the wrong, b) he needs to reign-in his temper.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    Regardless of who was a fault (and I think it was Russell), his behaviour afterwards (slapping Bottas' helmet, and throwing a tantrum) was inexcusable. I hope Toto gives him a dressing down, and talks some sense into him. Toto needs to pinch this in the bud, and to get Russell to accept a) he was in the wrong, b) he needs to reign-in his temper.

i have no idea what was said, but I agree with you. The last thing we need is a replace of Schumy and DC having handbags.

Friedrich Nietzsche

You mean these overhead shots which clearly show Max ahead and taking the racing line.
    Andy you have such a hard on for Lewis that you cannot accept when Lewis does something wrong. While he didn’t exactly do anything wrong here, neither did Max, but in your eyes alone, Max forced him off the track.
    You and you alone are the reason there is another F1 thread in the BP that thankfully you can’t access and spoil with your incessant fawning of Lewis Hamilton.
    I’ll give this F1 thread a miss from now on and just post in the BP thread instead.

He is ahead by about a foot, but where does he leave a car width? He doesn’t. Interesting that the stewards “Noted” the move, but like them I don’t feel it was worthy of a penalty.

I just hope that people remember this, the next time Hamilton has a similar incident, but which penalises the other driver.

As for the Bear Pit, I remember it well, and you are welcome to it
    Last edited by Andyg; 19th April 2021 at 16:33.

Friedrich Nietzsche

He is ahead by about a foot, but where does he leave a car width? He doesn’t. Interesting that the stewards “Noted” the move, but like them I don’t feel it was worthy of a penalty.
    Max didnt leave a car width, but hed just run up the inside with two wheels on the grass to overtake. No way was he backing out (rightly). Lewis could and probably should have eased out and settled for P2 at that stage, but as the solo Merc towards the front, he had to go for it.
    Ref Bottas and Russell; initially I had Bottas as the bad guy, but think Russell was getting frustrated and pushed it too hard. Still, there is no way that the Finn should have been in the position to be defending from a Williams! Did anyone else note the Williams plank sparking significantly just before the wheels dropped onto the grass? I know its part of the spectacle, but perhaps another reason for Russells further drift right?

Craftsman
    I see Russell has now issued a public apology for his behaviour:

Having had time to reflect on what happened afterwards, I know I should have handled the whole situation better. Emotions can run high in the heat of the moment and yesterday mine got the better of me. I apologise to Valtteri, to my team and to anyone who felt let down by my actions. That's not who I am and I expect more from myself, as I know others expect more from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    I see Russell has now issued a public apology for his behaviour:
    I think it was the right thing from a PR perspective, but you still cannot gloss over his behaviour immediately after the accident, just as you cant gloss over the fact that he was battling with Bottas over 9th. Bottas simply shouldnt have been there. Anywhoo another discussion point for the F1 chattering classes

Next stop is Portugal and round 3 in the Max and Hamilton slugfest. Cant wait, but I think the track is more suited to the low rake cars, so we might see Aston Martin putting on a show, plus it will give Bottas an opportunity for redemption.

Friedrich Nietzsche

I think it was the right thing from a PR perspective, but you still cannot gloss over his behaviour immediately after the accident, just as you cant gloss over the fact that he was battling with Bottas over 9th. Bottas simply shouldnt have been there. Anywhoo another discussion point for the F1 chattering classes

Next stop is Portugal and round 3 in the Max and Hamilton slugfest. Cant wait, but I think the track is more suited to the low rake cars, so we might see Aston Martin putting on a show, plus it will give Bottas an opportunity for redemption.
    Indeed... Russel had one chance in a Mercedes and almost won (if not for the team mess-up), would love to see him competing for podiums