closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Horological Detox

Horological Detox

I think throughout Covid some of us have lost a bit of interest in watches as 2020 let us know where our priories are, or at least should be. I've gone the other way and thrown myself into a few things, mostly watches, probably as a distraction but it's quite consuming and not very healthy.

First I grew my collection, then I grew it some more. I even upgraded from regular versions to limited editions of the same watches and finally sold a few I knew I'd never wear as it was getting a bit much. I knew I needed a slap when I thought of swapping out a limited edition I just bought for an even more limited edition version of the same watch.

Time for a horological detox. I've gone back to wearing a MM200 for the last week and left my other watches out of sight. It feels good but the MM200 holds a lot of sentimental value so I need a 'beater' to go with it. Nothing else on the wrist until March, six weeks should be enough. After that I might go for one watch per month for the rest of 2021.

So here it is - my two watch collection until March. Ramble over.

I went the other way during Covid too. I went from 2 nice 'best' watches to 5 mainly because I actually had time to wear and enjoy them.

Master
    I’ve bought and sold a lot over the last year, always losing on selling of course, but moving “upmarket” again (but many would probably disagree with that!!) and am I hope 99% back to where I want to be.

Currently have Datejust 16233, Seamaster Pro, Grand Seiko, Undone Basecamp custom Cali dial, Seiko 7548 and vintage Citizen.

The Citizen is on SC. I would probably get rid of my Undone but probably stuck with it as it has my initials on the dial and though not had the 7548 long (a few weeks) I might need it to go as I have a hankering for a CWC quartz diver.

I hope that would do me.

Blog Entries
    I'll have a go - until March then, I'll stick with these two:

Patek Philippe 5146J for desk duty; the 124060 for manual labour, exercise etc

It's going to be such an effort.

Martyn
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 14th January 2021 at 20:30.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Please reset your bezel to the correct position.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    Please reset your bezel to the correct position.
    Not yet... I need to time my boiled egg supper!

Well I hit 50 at the start of this month....

Between getting a nice Seiko for Xmas snd another for my 50th I’ve now decided to sell the majority of my lower price homages that I love - I’d got up to around 20 - they offer so much for so little

But as the watches firementioned have been bought for me, I feel I should aspire to wear them and liquidise the others

SC has taken a few

WTB has proven a success - and one buyer from prev has taken two more from me today as he is so pleased

Will the “chase” stop - I think so - Lego is taking up more of my time and money now!

Craftsman

Martyn
    What a perfect duo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am currently doing 3

Rolex GMT II

Tudor Blackbay - Sundays

Omega Seamaster GMT - Wednesdays.

Stunning MartynJC - I'd be tempted to go 'double wristed' with that pair.

Craftsman
    I hear you Wileeeeeey...in the first lockdown, I became completely obsessed with trading watches. I bought 10, sold 4 and spent hours (when not working) chasing various opportunities. Less than a year later, I’ve relegated all my acquisitions to the safe and been sporting an Apple Watch or my Casioak. I barely look at Chrono 24 these days.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Martyn
    An excellent idea!

As you won’t be wearing them for a while, please send me the YM and VC to try out for a month.😀

Master
    Nice thread. 2020 was indeed a weird year. I bought more watches than I want to think about! Coming towards the last couple of the months of the year I did try to sell a couple to balance the books! Then I also sneaked in a couple of late purchases as I was determined to have a quieter year in 2021. So far, 15 days in, I can confirm I am yet to buy a watch. So far this year, I have exclusively worn a smart watch so it seems my WIS interests are waning. However, I have said this before only to buy a watch a week later.

Part of the reasoning was finally making an Excel spreadsheet for insurance with purchase dates, prices and serial numbers etc. I wasn't comfortable with the total. This is why I chose two cheaper watches for the 'detox'.

Until I get 'the call' for a Cermit I'll ease off purchasing for a while but when Garmin release the Forerunner 955 I'll probably get that but more for health and sleep tracking than for a watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Part of the reasoning was finally making an Excel spreadsheet for insurance with purchase dates, prices and serial numbers etc. I wasn't comfortable with the total. This is why I chose two cheaper watches for the 'detox'.

Until I get 'the call' for a Cermit I'll ease off purchasing for a while but when Garmin release the Forerunner 955 I'll probably get that but more for health and sleep tracking than for a watch.
    I feel your pain. I once made the mistake of clicking the autosum button on the good old Excel. It still gives me shivers.