closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What bike to replace the Blackbird?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    It’s taken a long time for me to realise this but I’m coming to the conclusion that mo power does not always equal mo fun, often it just equals mo handful.
    This is certainly true... I can honestly hand on heart say that my little 75BHP Speedmaster is more fun in day to day riding than the Ducati or the Rocket, both of which have double the BHP.. I like the big power, of the other 2, but realistically you can’t use it without risking your life or your licence. Which is ok now and again, but it’s so nice to jump on a bike and chill.

Craftsman

BMW

K1300S?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    This is certainly true... I can honestly hand on heart say that my little 75BHP Speedmaster is more fun in day to day riding than the Ducati or the Rocket, both of which have double the BHP.. I like the big power, of the other 2, but realistically you can’t use it without risking your life or your licence. Which is ok now and again, but it’s so nice to jump on a bike and chill.
    Didnt Mike Hailwood famously say one “ no one needs more than 70 bhp on the road”

Steve

Master

What bike to replace the Blackbird?

Quote Originally Posted by hops View Post
    K1300S?

These are nice I must say. I took a light grey one out from Bath Motorcycles on a longish test ride. I really wanted to like it as it had zero corrosion which is unusual for these in my experience and was mint. Unfortunately the love wasn’t there as the riding position and saddle didn’t suit me as I like to feel like I’m sat in the bike if you know what I mean?
    I then ventured on the same day to the Kawasaki dealer down the road in central Bristol and looked at the ZZR1400. Lovely bike again, but I didn’t even test ride it as it felt massive even compared to the BMW!! If you are bigger than me at only 5’ foot 8 inches then you may get on with them.
    Just a heads up and BMW owners please don’t jump on me but during my 2 years of BMW ownership (GS1150adv) I spent more money repairing the thing and on parts than I spent on a KTM 950 Adventure in 7 years. They were both late 2005 bikes low milers with good service history FYI. Maybe BMW have upped their game since then but it certainly played on my mind when I was searching for a sport tourer.
    Hopefully by spring we’ will all be back on the roads and you can go shopping :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 16th January 2021 at 10:05.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    haha, I was only asking for advice, now it's turned into a trip down memory lane, I noticed the mention of the Harris, my god I always wanted a Harris or a Bimota back in the day, when I had twin Microns on my GT185
    Funny you mention Harris and Bimota.

Many years ago I had a 900 Kawasaki built for me at Ride on Motorcycles in Acton.
    I went to the shop the following week to collect it. Remember it was £1900.

Walked into the shop and they had just taken delivery of a brand new Bimota KB1 rolling chassis.
    Well. I totally lost interest in the Harris and immediately renegotiated a deal for the Bimota.

Bimota was more than double the price at £4000. But I didn’t care. Didn’t have £1900 and certainly didn’t have £4000.
    Just tell me how much a month and where do I sign.

Back to your bike. Your 20 years older now than when you purchased the blackbird.

Have you considered a Kawasaki GTR1400?
    Last edited by Metalic Mud; 16th January 2021 at 12:55. Reason: Another spelling misstache

Craftsman
    Have a look at Suzuki... Good choices depending what your after.. hayabusa, katana or the 1050 for touring..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Didnt Mike Hailwood famously say one “ no one needs more than 70 bhp on the road”

Steve
    I don’t know....but if he did he’s not wrong😎. Me and a mate were talking about it the other day...he’s currently borrowing my Speedmaster (he’d better clean it an all) whilst I get his Ducati Cafe racer fixed.

We both agreed that despite other bikes we both own, the Speedmaster and his Ducati (80bhp) are the most fun to ride. It shows in the mileage too, I’ve done over 5k on the Speedy since March 2020. That’s more than the other bikes added together.

Mind you, it’s not stopping him from putting a deposit down on the new Speed Triple RS....😈 and I’d only sell my XDiavel for another one.👍

I think everyone knows that, in reality, smaller is better.

It doesn’t stop us from wanting and buying ever bigger, more powerful bikes though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalic Mud View Post
    Funny you mention Harris and Bimota.
    Bimota was more than double the price at £4000. But I didn’t care. Didn’t have £1900 and certainly didn’t have £4000.
    Jest tell me how much a month and where do I sign.
    I have a mate near Harwarden whom is selling a YB somthing. Not sure of the model, but it has a thundercat motor in it... he’s in his 70’s now and having had both knees replaced it’s to much for him. He still rides an NC30 though.

The Bimota is mint and he’s owned it for years. He’s also selling a nice 916.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I think everyone knows that, in reality, smaller is better.

It doesn’t stop us from wanting and buying ever bigger, more powerful bikes though.
    To true.... my mates a coal man (built like a brick out house) he’s always spotting stuff on his rounds in the middle of nowhere. Just before Xmas he was delivering to a new customer up in the hills, and spotted a few bikes in the garage. Gets talking to the customer who it turns out is getting on and wants to sell a few..

So after lockdown, he wants me to inspect a 77 Z650, Mate says it’s tidy and MOT’d but running poorly. £2k

He recently bought a mint Suzuki Beamish 1973 250 £1200 and a scruffy but original 1967 Bantam £750 Both from customers just wanting to get rid..

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post

Steve
    Hopefully in a few weeks time I’ll find out what 78bhp feels like
    ( in 142kg of Husqvarna 701....)

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=Groundrush;5644832 It’s taken a long time for me to realise this but I’m coming to the conclusion that mo power does not always equal mo fun, often it just equals mo handful.[/QUOTE]

:)

Master
    With regards to power just because you have it doesn’t mean that you have to use it all the time. On a long haul tour a big motor is lovely. When carrying a pillion and luggage a big motor makes things easier too. Big motors aren’t just for boasting at the pub unless you are one of the power ranger gang...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have had a Hayabusa, and I have to say it was an excellent bike. A very fast way to lose a licence though. Fortunately we don't have speed camers where I live, and sense usually kicks in before I get too silly.

The talk of the Beamish RL250 takes me back. I used to have one of them and a Montesa 249 Cota, but I always fancied a motocross bike. Despite the numerous bikes I have had I never bought an motocrosser.

Out of all of the bikes I have owned from 100cc-1500cc the one that was the best fun was a Gilera SP180 scooter. Two stroke screamer that would do an indicated 90mph. The short wheelbase added to the flickability of it. An absolute hoot, and loads of racing bits available. There were a few surprised looking motorists when you pulled away from the lights. Motorbikes are a bit like willys. Everyone has got to have the biggest.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    Motorbikes are a bit like willys. Everyone has got to have the biggest.
    Mmmm.😈

Mmmm.😈

Touché, and game set and match

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Touché, and game set and match

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’m compensating🙁

You won!!

Mmmm.😈

Please message Eddie and ask him to change your forum name to Mandingo.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Please message Eddie and ask him to change your forum name to Mandingo.
    + 1 lol,

The most fun I have had this winter is riding a KTM 390. However, I am sure one the weather gets better I will want something faster. Sometimes you just feel the need for speed, even if it's only 5% of the time.