closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What bike to replace the Blackbird?

Master

What bike to replace the Blackbird?

So for 20 years I have owned the amazing CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    it's quick
    It's comfy
    It's got a proper seat
    It's quick
    It's got room for bags and pillions.

So with that in mind I have been looking at
    Z1000XSX
    H2SX
    and a weird one the KTM 1290 SuperDuke

What would you add to the list and why?
    Probably going to do some touring if we are allowed out and I am not a Firebade sort of guy.

So what have you guys got?

Probably don't wanna go under 1litre

BMW S1000XR
    Ducati Multistrada
    BMW K1300s
    Triumph 1200 Explorer
    Or a 1250GS like everyone else....

Zzr1400

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Zzr1400
    This ^^^^^^

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Master
    Zzr1400
    Sort of makes sense I guess, very similar to the BBird but a heavy beast

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    BMW S1000XR
    Ducati Multistrada
    BMW K1300s
    Triumph 1200 Explorer
    Or a 1250GS like everyone else....
    I did actually see the K1300S recently online and thought that could be a contender, seems the last one was made in 2016 however.
    1250GS is an obvious option, must go and try one.
    Will check out the Duc and Triumph, thanks

If you've already looked at the KTM SA, then consider a KTM1290GT or the BMW S1000XR

KTM a lower style bike and of course- has that instant punch of a twin.

S1000XR is a great do-it-all bike, that goes plenty fast enough, has a super-slick quickshifter and will take all sizes of luggage.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    If you've already looked at the KTM SA, then consider a KTM1290GT or the BMW S1000XR

KTM a lower style bike and of course- has that instant punch of a twin.

S1000XR is a great do-it-all bike, that goes plenty fast enough, has a super-slick quickshifter and will take all sizes of luggage.
    Never heard of the S1000XR looks like a good conternder,thanks,

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    Never heard of the S1000XR looks like a good conternder,thanks,
    The 900 version also has very good reviews.

I’d look at a BMW personally too, lovely bikes IMO.

Sort of makes sense I guess, very similar to the BBird but a heavy beast

I did actually see the K1300S recently online and thought that could be a contender, seems the last one was made in 2016 however.
    1250GS is an obvious option, must go and try one.
    Will check out the Duc and Triumph, thanks
    I’d seriously recommend at least 2 or 3 test rides on a GS....
    I’ve owned all varieties of these ( moved to an R9T Urban now)

And the first couple of tries , I just didn’t get it at all
    Then tried one that seemed better set up and the whole thing seemed to gel
    They’re great bikes
    I’ve moved to a lighter machine ( also have a Husky 701 coming) and a few friends have gone from 1200/1250 Gs to the 850GS and love the manageability of them

Craftsman
    You still rate it so why not save yourself thousands, as bikes now are a rip off, and refresh yours. New brake hoses, full on service and if it's the carb model get them fully rebuilt with new bits etc.

The old ones are still worthy rides .......

Craftsman
    I've had a couple of Blackbirds but have to say the ZZR14 would be my logical choice

Quote Originally Posted by kildareman View Post
    The 900 version also has very good reviews.
    When compared to the blackbird for performance - it doesn't quite have the batshit-crazy horsepower of the 1000.

Not so sure it is so satisfying for 2-up with luggage either.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spud767 View Post
    You still rate it so why not save yourself thousands, as bikes now are a rip off, and refresh yours. New brake hoses, full on service and if it's the carb model get them fully rebuilt with new bits etc.

I totally understand that, but after 21 years i feel a change is justified, I knew someone would say keep the old one, but £2000 depreciation over 21 years I can handle.

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk

Master

What bike to replace the Blackbird?

Try a Honda VFR1200F ... the bike that everybody (the press)loved to hate. Just as fast as your blackbird. I’ve got a DCT one. Pictures don’t really do them justice . Loads of crap about MPG and tank range but I easily get 180 miles to tank by which t8me I’m happy to stop for a pee:) I appreciate that the looks aren’t for everybody but they are lovely in the flesh and to ride.
    I’ve had blades,gs1150, Gsxr, Zx7r, KTM 950 adventure to name a few and still also own a Suzuki TL1000r too (which handles like a shopping trolley ) but I’ve kept the VFR 1200r the longest bar the KTM which was shite for motorways and the servicing was expensive but I still loved.
    I test rode the BMW K1300s too and the Honda was nicer for me.

Maybe I like what others think are ugly as I’ve got a Heuer Monaco too.. Mrs isn’t much of a looker either... haha
    Good luck :)
    Couple of vfr pics from the net and a pic of my TL which has handles like shite, has no luggage space, bad pillion seat, crap mpg, but goes ok and sounds cool:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 14th January 2021 at 21:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    Try a Honda VFR1200F ... the bike that everybody (the press)loved to hate. Just as fast as your blackbird. I’ve got one. Pictures don’t really do them justice . Loads of crap about MPG and tank range but I easily get 180 miles to tank by which t8me I’m happy to stop for a pee:) I appreciate that the looks aren’t for everybody but they are lovely in the flesh and to ride.
    I’ve had blades,gs1150, Gsxr, Zx7r, KTM 950 adventure to name a few and still also own a Suzuki TL1000r too (which handles like a shopping trolley ) but I’ve kept the VFR 1200r the longest bar the KTM which was shite for motorways and the servicing was expensive but I still loved.

Good call! Lots of BHP, Honda build, DCT gearbox if you want it...................

I would consider one as my 'only bike - to do everything'

Try a Honda VFR1200F ... the bike that everybody (the press)loved to hate. Just as fast as your blackbird. I’ve got one. Pictures don’t really do them justice . Loads of crap about MPG and tank range but I easily get 180 miles to tank by which t8me I’m happy to stop for a pee:) I appreciate that the looks aren’t for everybody but they are lovely in the flesh and to ride.

Couple of vfr pics from the net.

Yes, just had a 2013 VFR 1200 f delivered to me, what a machine!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Oysterman View Post
    Yes, just had a 2013 VFR 1200 f delivered to me, what a machine!
    Good man:)

GS Adventure. I found out a few months ago that I can't pick mine up though!

Why not go smaller and get a CB500X. Supposedly bulletproof engine. Loads of Rally Raid bits available if you like that sort of thing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Good call! Lots of BHP, Honda build, DCT gearbox if you want it...................

I would consider one as my 'only bike - to do everything'
    Mines DCT... never had any trouble and it’s great TBH but I can see why some folks hate it as I sometimes miss slipping the clutch when I’m being gentle in the wet.

I’ve had a blackbird in the past, and my mate has a ZZR14 performance. They are of the same ilk but the kwaka has more of everything, unbelievably quick but very rideable.

Pan America.

G`wan!!

Wrong on so many levels, and oh so ugly, but i`m strangely drawn to it - and i never ever thought i`d say that about a HD.

Quote Originally Posted by spud767 View Post

That’s a lovely old bus, I’ve always liked them.

Where’s the picture taken, it looks achy SD my familiar?

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    Pan America.

G`wan!!

Wrong on so many levels, and oh so ugly, but i`m strangely drawn to it - and i never ever thought i`d say that about a HD.
    My eyes! Never seen that before... What were they thinking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a zzr1400 and it’s an awesome bike, i’d highly recommend it.

I’ve had loads of bikes and despite nearly selling this on here I still have it. When i think of the perfect all round bike that still makes me grin and give a kick i struggle to think of anything better.

This was me trying to sell it a couple of years back.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...hlight=Zzr1400

If you can get a 2012 plus it’s worth the stretch

^^^^^^My mate has a fourteen and it`s awesome. Quick, comfortable and planted.

Imagine if you will a one-mile long heavy-duty bungee cord - similar to the ones bungee jumpers use.
    Hold the bike on the brakes, attach the bungee to the front of the bike and stretch it out to 2 miles.
    Release the brakes and hold on.
    That`s what a ZZR14 is like - a relentless tsunami of torque, accelleration and turbine-smooth power enough to alter your perception of reality.

They`re quick, but no match for my CX500.

Master
    I would just get the super duke, there’s nothing else to compare especially in sports mode.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    I would just get the super duke, there’s nothing else to compare especially in sports mode.

I loved my KTM Adv 950 except for when I was on the motorway where it felt a little slow. The bit that got me with KTM was the pain in the arse servicing - even to do an oil change, and valve clearances very 9000 miles . O, and the petrol tanks warped which apparently happened as a byproduct of using fuel with ethanol in.
    Lovely bikes though

Master
    I loved my KTM Adv 950 except for when I was on the motorway where it felt a little slow. The bit that got me with KTM was the pain in the arse servicing - even to do an oil change, and valve clearances very 9000 miles . O, and the petrol tanks warped which apparently happened as a byproduct of using fuel with ethanol in.
    Lovely bikes though

Don’t think I’ve found any KTM slow, neither the 1290T or the RC8 that I’ve had. Prices wise cheaper than a Ducati but still a bonkers engine.

Craftsman
    That’s a lovely old bus, I’ve always liked them.

Where’s the picture taken, it looks achy SD my familiar?
    Just off the main road running through Chipping Lancs.
    Last edited by spud767; 15th January 2021 at 10:53.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    Don’t think I’ve found any KTM slow, neither the 1290T or the RC8 that I’ve had. Prices wise cheaper than a Ducati but still a bonkers engine.

Well my KTM 950 was from 2005.. jump off that onto a 98 blackbird and it’ll feel like a snail. Both nice bikes though .

Master
    Some great answers guys, will defo have a look at the ZZR, I wanted one back in the late 90's when the 1100 was out, but opted for the RF900 instead which was awesome.
    KTM still a contender, that Harley needs eye bleach!
    Quite fancy the S1000 which I had never seen before.
    Going to enjoy this shopping trip.

ZZR or K1300S will be the closest to like for like swaps.

S1000 comes in R, XR, or RR so you should fine one which suits your needs if that's your cup of tea.

Master
    Some great answers guys, will defo have a look at the ZZR, I wanted one back in the late 90's when the 1100 was out,.
    Any opportunity to post some pics.... my old ZZR1100. Did 50,000 hard miles, touring, drag racing and general hooning around. Most of it 2 up with the Mrs on the back.. Never did like the colour, so eventually had a custom paint job. And yes I know my leathers have pink on them, it was the fashion at the time..

I can only imagine what the 1400 must be like..

I never had a single issue with it, but the week I traded it, the new owner trashed 2nd gear and the dealer I sold it to had to fix it..

^^^^ very cool enoch. Love those photos

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    ^^^^ very cool enoch. Love those photos
    Good times... the ZXR in the pics still belongs to my best mate. I stored it for him for 10 years or so. But last year he lost his job due to Corona, and decided to take it home.

It’ll be one hell of a tool when he done. He’s currently fitting a very highly tuned ZXR900 engine into it, with fuel injection using GSXR throttle bodies.. he’s got light weight wheels, and later ZX7 forks.

It was already almost a match for my ZZR back in the day with its 805 big bore K cams and lightened crank.

It needs some love, but Mike is the guy to sort it. Fortunately he’s just landed another job, so timescales for completion have changed from this year to sometime next year.

Great pics Enoch, reminds me of PB and Superbike magazine days!

Craftsman
    I'm a huge fan of Kawasakis but cant help but feel that the ZZR is a backwards step to Blackbird certainly a FI 'bird, unless its change for change sake I cant see what you'd gain so I'd look at the next gen bikes like the ZX12c or ZZR14

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Liner33 View Post
    I'm a huge fan of Kawasakis but cant help but feel that the ZZR is a backwards step to Blackbird certainly a FI 'bird, unless its change for change sake I cant see what you'd gain so I'd look at the next gen bikes like the ZX12c or ZZR14
    I wasn’t advocating buying a ZZR1100 instead of a Blackbird... just reminiscing.

I’d love to be able to try a ZZR1400, I can’t get my head around how much of a weapon a bike like that would be..

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I wasn’t advocating buying a ZZR1100 instead of a Blackbird... just reminiscing.

I’d love to be able to try a ZZR1400, I can’t get my head around how much of a weapon a bike like that would be..
    A I have a mate who has turbocharged a few of them , bet they are a hoot they make about 270hp , but probably bit too much for touring ;)

Master
    A I have a mate who has turbocharged a few of them , bet they are a hoot they make about 270hp , but probably bit too much for touring ;)
    And the winner of understatement of 2021 goes to...

I’ve ridden my mates ZZR14 a few times. It’s properly insane, especially after a GS! Giving it full throttle and going up through the box with the quick shifter is jaw dropping, and you get to silly speeds before you know it.

What surprised me was that it handled well too, even on tight roads. Not my cup of tea though, as too much for the road, but each to their own

Master
    And the winner of understatement of 2021 goes to...
    Yes.. I guess 270bhp would be adequate for touring....

My old ZZR1100 made around 145bhp on a dynojet dyno, and I thought that was properly quick back in the day. Now days a good Supersport 600 R6 from BSB makes a solid 140bhp.

A few years back I built an R6 track bike for an up and coming BSB rider, it was stock apart from a quick shifter and a power commander, it made around 125bhp and it was so tractable you could ride it to the shops..

I think my Ducati is 155bhp and that feels plenty quick enough for me..

Did he do the work himself or get a shop to do these conversions?

My mate may be interested...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    Did he do the work himself or get a shop to do these conversions?

My mate may be interested...
    He does it himself , owns the company. He knows his stuff as this is his own bike

http://www.timblakemoreracing.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Yes.. I guess 270bhp would be adequate for touring....

My old ZZR1100 made around 145bhp on a dynojet dyno, and I thought that was properly quick back in the day. Now days a good Supersport 600 R6 from BSB makes a solid 140bhp.

A few years back I built an R6 track bike for an up and coming BSB rider, it was stock apart from a quick shifter and a power commander, it made around 125bhp and it was so tractable you could ride it to the shops..

I think my Ducati is 155bhp and that feels plenty quick enough for me..
    It’s pretty crazy! I remember when tuned RC30’s and OW01’s were making only 125+bhp, and the full on factory RVF’s that they brought over specially from Japan to win the iom TT were only around 140bhp.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    It’s pretty crazy! I remember when tuned RC30’s and OW01’s were making only 125+bhp, and the full on factory RVF’s that they brought over specially from Japan to win the iom TT were only around 140bhp.
    The thing is, that all this extra power requires more management to keep it in check. Back in my hooligan days I can well remember going down a wet sliproad and deliberately lighting up the rear tyre well into 4th gear and probably over 100mph... daft as a brush but great fun.

Whereas last year riding my Ducati on a gravel road at 20 mph and winding the throttle wide open (just to see what would happen) resulted in nothing happening other than a light flashing on the dash..🤪🤪

Craftsman
    My first drag bike was based on this road bike , note the turbo AND nitrous along with a 160 rear tyre ! These things would wheel spin well into three figures and then wheelie ! Photo is taken from a magazine in 1985 , I bought the bike in 1991

best thread on this forum, watches aside

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    best thread on this forum, watches aside
    haha, I was only asking for advice, now it's turned into a trip down memory lane, I noticed the mention of the Harris, my god I always wanted a Harris or a Bimota back in the day, when I had twin Microns on my GT185