closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Steeldrive SKX

Steeldrive SKX

Been looking at the Steeldrive SKX 007 clone today, has anyone tried one and if so thoughts please

Not an SKX

I bought a Steeldive SD1975 (Tuna) from a UK seller about 6 months ago.
    It's fitted with the same movement as the SKX.
    Quality and finish of mine is far above the price point and timekeeping is well within spec's for the NH35 movement.

Quote Originally Posted by johnboy24 View Post
    I bought a Steeldive SD1975 (Tuna) from a UK seller about 6 months ago.
    It's fitted with the same movement as the SKX.
    Quality and finish of mine is far above the price point and timekeeping is well within spec's for the NH35 movement.
    Thanks, have the Suma myself and have seen many comments about that and the Tuna but never seen a comment about the SKX

Everything I have heard about the steel dive watches appears to be very positive, so sure you won't be disappointed. im toying with the idea of ordering a 1952

Journeyman
    Got the Steeldive Willard, very happy for the price paid.

Journeyman
    Steeldive is fab bang for the buck. I have the 1940 and it's great.

Re Seiko homage's I have the Islander ISL-05 (the SKX013 homage) and it's brilliant as well.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by stevecross View Post
    Been looking at the Steeldrive SKX 007 clone today, has anyone tried one and if so thoughts please
    I've got one and I love it. It's not as accurate as some of the Steeldrive watches other owners on here have, judging by the Steeldrive thread, where some people were claiming 2 seconds a day. It currently gains about 12-15 seconds a day which is fine by me, especially at the price point.

I'm wearing it on one of the Erica Original look-a-like straps that watchgecko sold briefly last year. I took it off the original bracelet as soon as I got it and no matter how hard I've tried, getting the bracelet back in has defeated me (I just can't get the springbars to locate in the lugs. I attempt it every now and then, but it's more out of interest as I'm happy with the strap it's on). My wrist size is 6.75ins and it seems perfect.

The lume on it is incredible, lasts all night.

I wear it in rotation with a couple of other watches, so it's usually stopped when I go back to it (I'm guessing the reserve is about 36 hours, but haven't actually measured it). No problem with the crown action when resetting it and giving it a wind to start it up.

My daughter loves the 'Angry Ninja' logo :)

I'd happily get another one.

Out of interest, is there a reason to get a Steel Dive SKX clone instead of an actual SKX?

Creation Watches are still selling the SKX007 K and J models. I picked one up a fortnight ago, J model on rubber for £230, selected Royal Mail delivery so no import duty, delivered within a week.

I get buying homages of unattainable watches, but I’m not sure I understand buying a homage of a watch that itself is a basic, readily available and value for money item.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Out of interest, is there a reason to get a Steel Dive SKX clone instead of an actual SKX?

Creation Watches are still selling the SKX007 K and J models. I picked one up a fortnight ago, J model on rubber for £230, selected Royal Mail delivery so no import duty, delivered within a week.

I get buying homages of unattainable watches, but I’m not sure I understand buying a homage of a watch that itself is a basic, readily available and value for money item.
    I own a SKX007 and love it, its a watch I would not sell.
    The Steeldive SKX has a NH35, sapphire glass and ceramic bezel.

That seems quite a good deal for under £100 I can understand why someone would pick the Steeldive and my Steeldive Willard is good.

If I had to choose I would still pick the Seiko, this is based on brand history and perhaps resale value, not on the specs of the watch!

Crazy hobby this

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    I own a SKX007 and love it, its a watch I would not sell.
    The Steeldive SKX has a NH35, sapphire glass and ceramic bezel.

That seems quite a good deal for under £100 I can understand why someone would pick the Steeldive and my Steeldive Willard is good.

If I had to choose I would still pick the Seiko, this is based on brand history and perhaps resale value, not on the specs of the watch!

Crazy hobby this
    Totally agree. I’ve had various Steinhart and Chinese - such as San Martin - homage watches as my beater diver, but ultimately returned to the SKX007J recently. A tough watch in its own right but not nearly as well specced as the competitors I’ve had - but it has the ISO thing, it’s a bit of an icon, it’s an original design - it has a little bit of X factor or something I guess that the pretenders don’t. Plus, now it’s discontinued I thought I’d better get one in just in case the prices went the same way of the Sarbs once the production backlogs dries up!

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post

After owning many a SKX and moving on due to poor timekeeping etc, I was hoping to get a little better with the Steeldrive since it uses the better movement and has a sapphire crystal etc. Not sure I want to go back down the route of the original especially since it is now over the £200 and is inferior in many ways to the Chinese clone.

Craftsman
    I’ve been thinking about one of these as a cheap platform for moding.

SKX007 case(?), sapphire crystal and NH35 movement are a pretty good start for <£100. What I cannot determine is if the case is truly an SKX007 clone and therefore compatible with all the aftermarket chapter rings/dials, bezels and crowns etc.

Has anyone tried this?

Blog Entries
    The crown guards look pointy and I'd assume the case shape must be different so that may affect donor skx parts and mods . Don't quote me though
    Last edited by bond; 19th January 2021 at 13:57.