closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about Sheffield

Tell me about Sheffield

Whilst my current career is almost at an end the wife's is really taking off and she's been offered a major promotion - only problem is that it's in Sheffield. She'll be able to work from home for now but when all this Covid stuff (hopefully) finishes we may need to move that way. I know exactly zero about Sheffield and the surrounding area while my knowledge about Yorkshire in general is not much better. We would be looking to move somewhere not overly expensive with decent rail/tram/public transport links to Sheffield city centre.
    So where is nice? Where should we avoid? Will I need to buy a whippet and flat cap? Will I need to become a much more miserable old bugger than I already am in order to fit in?

Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries
    Great place - I spent 14-15 years there.

West side of Sheffield is the nicer, pricier end where many of the graduates end up buying - look in the S10 & S11 postcode areas

Crookes
    Ranmoor
    Fulwood - which on the edge of the Peak District, but has very few pubs
    Eccleshall

We ended up in Walkley Bank - immediately adjacent to Crookes - which is a good compromise for house prices.
    Although the schools in S6 area aren't as good - if that's a concern.
    We moved as the kids were about the hit school age.

Malin Bridge was the upcoming S6 area when we left - as it was at the end of very good the tram line.

You'll have to get used to the bus drivers calling you 'love'

z
    Last edited by zelig; 14th January 2021 at 11:55.

Master
    Frog and Parrot pub - try a pint of Wreckless.

There is some beautiful countryside easily commutable into the centre. Worth a few weekends away to explore the area.

I've spent the majority of my adult life there and it's a great place to live.

I originally moved there from Leeds to complete my first degree and then hung around until last year, so did 22 years, but all in the same postcode area (S10) so I may have a particular view of where is good to live. I now live in a village in the Peak District but travel the 12 miles or so to work most days in Sheffield.

It's a funny city really in that there is a distinct inequality in terms of the areas that are deemed 'posher' or where you will find most of the professional classes that work in the two Universities, Hospitals etc. Postcodes S10, S11 and S17 would probably cover most of that. Housing is cheap compared with anywhere in the South, and definitely in comparison with cities like Leeds, Manchester and York.

Lots of nice independent shops and cafes (though some of these will not make it through the third lockdown) but a disappointing town centre (I work there, so I've seen it decline in the past 10 months) which is getting worse in terms of empty units. There's a great arts scene that is loads better than Leeds or York, and certainly better than Rotherham...!

The people are generally very friendly, even if you have a Leeds accent.

Peak District is close by the SW areas (including S10,11 and 17) and is a big draw if you like getting outside. There are some really nice villages with a railway station on the Hope Valley line between Manchester and Sheffield that are only 10-15 miles drive away that might be worth thinking about if you are not keen on suburban living.

Oh, it's also really hilly. And the hills are high and get a fair bit of snow, so that might be a factor to think about on a winter's day like today!

As an ex-pat Cornishman living in Manchester for many years, and therefore taking an objective look at your post, let me tell you that Yorkshire is about the most beautifully diverse county in the UK. Plus, in the case of Sheffield, you are practically in the Derbyshire/Staffordshire Peak District, another absolutely world-class stunning area to explore.
    Others will be much better placed to advise on housing, schools etc, but as regards "down time" - you couldn't be much better placed.

Thanks to everyone that has replied so far. Kids have left home (yay!) so no need to worry about schools. While I'm not too averse to living in Sheffield itself, some of the smaller towns with decent rail links are interesting me such as Dronfield, Alfreton, Dore and Totley.

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    Thanks to everyone that has replied so far. Kids have left home (yay!) so no need to worry about schools. While I'm not too averse to living in Sheffield itself, some of the smaller towns with decent rail links are interesting me such as Dronfield, Alfreton, Dore and Totley.
    Alfreton is nowhere near! As others have said, S10 and S11 are the better residential areas. Sheffield is the greenest city in England and also the city where the most students stay on after graduation. The main attraction is versatility. You've got city life, some of the best countryside in the country on the doorstep and central location for travel to other areas of the UK. Like everywhere else there are places to avoid, maybe towards the east side of the city.

I went there once and met a right gruff local...

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Grand Master
    Ask Eddie, he’s your man!

I’m 30 miles up the road from Sheffield, doesn’t sound far but West Yorkshire and South Yorkshire have always felt very different to me, the accent certainly us, but to outsiders I guess all Yorkys sound alike.

Like most cities it has its good and not so good areas, head west for the nicer ( but expensive) parts, but the roads into the centre are a nightmare in my experience, we have a friend who lives out that way so I speak from experience. Some nice places between Barnsley and Sheffield if you know where to look, the area is leaving its grimy steel/ coal history behind and some of the former mining communities have become quite desirable places.

In the highly unlikely scenario that you enjoy shopping, there’s a large indoor shopping centre called Meadowhell ( sorry, Meadowhall), that may appeal. Personally I’d rather drill my own teeth than spend a day there but the ladies seem to like it.

Despite the fact that neither of their teams are particularly successful they take football very seriously, rivalry between Wednesday and United is quite intense. They have a rugby league team too but its predominantly a football city. Sheffield also has an ice hockey team which is a rarity in the UK.

Sheffield is like Rome.

Well, they're both built on seven hills.*

I'd say it has a lot more than that going for it. Those who have lived there always seem to have an affinity with the area for life.

*Possibly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Alfreton is nowhere near! As others have said, S10 and S11 are the better residential areas. Sheffield is the greenest city in England and also the city where the most students stay on after graduation. The main attraction is versatility. You've got city life, some of the best countryside in the country on the doorstep and central location for travel to other areas of the UK. Like everywhere else there are places to avoid, maybe towards the east side of the city.
    Dronfield isn't that close either as it's in Derbyshire too!

Dore and Totley are two separate suburbs in S17. Years ago they were small villages on the edge of the city that became subsumed as the city expanded. They share a common train station that is actually nowhere near Dore, at least in terms of walking distance back up the hill.

Why is a railway station crucial? Are you wanting to commute into Sheffield using it?

Master
    As above regarding areas in Sheffield city to live. The city centre is crap. Don't bother with Rotherham - a sh1te town. I'm only here for work and have no intention of making it a permanent place to live. Take that as you will.

And Meadowhall is hardly the greatest shopping mall in the world.

Master
    Good beer scene, if that's your thing.

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Why is a railway station crucial? Are you wanting to commute into Sheffield using it?
    It's definitely not crucial but we'd also be happy to look at decent places with a short rail commute if it meant we could get a better property for our money.

Master
    I would suggest beautiful Buxton, which is an easy drive but 2 hours on the train!!

It's definitely not crucial but we'd also be happy to look at decent places with a short rail commute if it meant we could get a better property for our money.
    Sheffield isn't really like that. Manchester and Leeds have commuter towns on their peripheries that have railway stations, but the West side of the city doesn't, apart from anything on the Hope Valley or the main line over to Manchester and beyond.

You could look further out towards the North (Barnsley) and East (Rotherham) as there are small towns there with railway stations, but I personally wouldn't bother.

I suppose it depends on your definition of what a better property is? If it's maximum sq.ft. then look at the North and East of the city. If it's a premium residential area with the consequent smaller property for your money, then the West is better, but you're not going to be near a train station. As Sheffield is so small, I'm not sure that matters though. We used to regularly walk into town when we lived in Broomhill, Crosspool and Fulwood. Even Fulwood was only 3 miles or so from the town centre, and it sits right on the edge of the city. The buses are also pretty good with frequent services way into the night.

Much depends on the type of property you'd like and your budget as all tastes can be catered for, West of centre is where people tend to end up if they have the money, Dore, Totley, Millhouses, are all adjacent to the countryside, closer to the centre Walkley, Ranmoor are popular, If your wife doesn't want to drive (and I wouldn't) stick to places located along the tram or rail routes, Hope Valley rail line gives access to some great villages and countryside.

I lived and worked in Sheffield for 20 odd years and loved the place - except for the constantly changing road layouts, I pop in to Sheffield only a few times a year now and when I do I get a train to Meadowhall before hopping on to a tram into the centre.

Whippets and flat caps are purely optional these days, and don't worry you're already grumpy enough - you'll fit right in.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    From Manchester and living on South Coast, I was a student in Sheffield and for approx 20 years used to go there at least once a month with work.
    I think it’s a great place, friendly and decent pubs. Peak District on the doorstep... I could live there happily.

Master
    I've been to Sheffield a few times for a long weekend good pubs try the thornbridge one down west street, my Mrs said she couldn't belive how friendly everyone was the centre is a bit of a dump thank meadowhall for that

You could try asking a local....

Cheers,
    Neil.

Weren't The Human League from Sheffield?

I don't know the city well, but on the occasions I've visited it seems very well served with all the amenities you'd want.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Had a Cricket playing weekend in Chesterfield a fair few years ago , that was a great place and not to far from Sheffield
    had the Brampton mile 13 pubs in the said mile not sure how many of these still exist though.....

Another thing regarding rail...the station isn't exactly central to the city centre so depending on where your wife is going to be working, it could very easily be an unattractive walk from the station. And it will definitely be up hill.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    And Heaven 17 and ABC and Def Leppard and Arctic Monkeys and Reverend and the Makers and Moloko - Plenty going on in the music scene over the years.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    it could very easily be an unattractive walk from the station. And it will definitely be up hill.
    Both ways?

As cities go, Sheffield is quite attractive from the M1 (that's not meant in a snarky way).

Master
    It's only a 5 minutes walk (uphill admittedly but it's not a mountain) from the station to the city centre.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post

They still are.

Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    It's only a 5 minutes walk (uphill admittedly but it's not a mountain) from the station to the city centre.
    Depends where you draw the line though. 5 mins for most will get you to Arundel Gate or, if you are lucky, the Winter Gardens.

If you are on West Street then it's more like 15mins. University is easily 20 mins. It rains a lot too, so you have to factor that in too as there isn't that much around the station compared with other cities like Leeds and the Manchester stations.

Master
    Yeah suppose so :-)

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Depends where you draw the line though. 5 mins for most will get you to Arundel Gate or, if you are lucky, the Winter Gardens.

If you are on West Street then it's more like 15mins. University is easily 20 mins. It rains a lot too, so you have to factor that in too as there isn't that much around the station compared with other cities like Leeds and the Manchester stations.

Craftsman
    I think JohnB has covered most aspects and having lived and worked in the area for over 60 years I’ve been here a while. You mention public transport links, there is a tram service that runs across the city from Hillsboro’ to Halfway and is convenient if you don’t want to drive. Just depends what you want in terms of house and local amenities.

Another thanks to everyone else who has replied - you've given me plenty to think about. I'm sure I'll be back to ask more questions on the place at some point!

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBoy View Post
    Just depends what you want in terms of house and local amenities.
    I'd rather have a small terrace house somewhere nice than a mansion in a dump. Amenities needed within walking distance - pub (non-flat roof), post office, somewhere to buy a pint of milk. I am not a fussy guy when it comes to amenities :D

Woodseats, 10 minute bus ride into Sheffield centre, pubs, takeaways and a decent selection of shops, lived there from 1993 until 1999, bit of a village within a city vibe and again very close to countryside.

Master
    pub (non-flat roof),
    That made me laugh.

Master
    S20 is where it's at! Some nice areas and a variety of houses ranging from 2 bed townhouses and bungalows to 4/5 bed detached and everything in between. Served well by the Supertram, 5 minutes from the M1, peak district 20 mins away and a lot more affordable than the S10, S11, S17 areas which are nice but pricey. I am biased though as I've lived this end all my life. There are some ropey areas though, although I have lived in them with no problems. We are now in a lovely quiet cul de sac of just 5 houses with woodland walks and farmers fields literally on our doorstep.

There was a young man from Sheffield,
    he went from the army to part sales.
    Then started a forum,
    it lost all decorum,
    now he's greyer than Schofield.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Sheffield is like Rome.

Well, they're both built on seven hills.*

I'd say it has a lot more than that going for it. Those who have lived there always seem to have an affinity with the area for life.

*Possibly.
    That's what they say about Bath, where I live.

I was made in Sheffield though!

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    That's what they say about Bath, where I live.

I was made in Sheffield though!
    Is that BAth or BAARth?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Is that BAth or BAARth?

Barf!
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    Woodseats is a good call, as is S20 with good tram links. Personally I would recommend Crosspool, it seems to offer all you are asking for.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Is that BAth or BAARth?

Definitely the hard A. There’s no ‘R’ in it. I’m in the minority though!

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBoy View Post
    Woodseats is a good call, as is S20 with good tram links. Personally I would recommend Crosspool, it seems to offer all you are asking for.
    Crosspool, good call as well.

Another thanks to everyone else who has replied - you've given me plenty to think about. I'm sure I'll be back to ask more questions on the place at some point!

I'd rather have a small terrace house somewhere nice than a mansion in a dump. Amenities needed within walking distance - pub (non-flat roof), post office, somewhere to buy a pint of milk. I am not a fussy guy when it comes to amenities :D
    I have lived in the same house in Crookes since 1992. Extremely convenient, main road has a wide variety of shops and restaurants all within walking distance.

It’s about a 35 minute walk to the city centre from where I live and yet I can look out of my front window and see for miles over open country.

Me and her indoors have occasionally talked about moving as our income increased but never really saw the point. And the fact that we never saddled ourselves with a bigger mortgage meant that early retirement was a reality.

Do I like Crookes? Most definitely. Is moving on the cards? Most definitely not unless it is in a wooden box!

Wrong side of the Pennines.

HTH.

Journeyman
    If you are moving from the South, Getused to people you have never met saying hello to you 😄

Master
    Although I haven't lived in Sheffield, so can't help much, I have been a couple of times and I really liked it. I think it's the perfect sized city and if I had the opportunity, I wouldn't hesitate to move there. What I mean by 'perfect sized city' is that it's big enough to have everything you need, but small enough that it's not hectic like, say, London.

Regarding where to live, all I can say is stay away from the city centre if you want to sleep on weekends: I made the mistake of getting accommodation around there the first time around and I couldn't shut an eye the whole trip.

Craftsman
    I’ll add my 2p for what it’s worth.

I traded a devoid soulless place of many roundabouts (Milton keynes) for Sheffield 13 years ago as a student and I’ve never regretted it.

There is a part of town for every kind of lifestyle and a car is not required 99.9% of the time to get around. There is huge variation on property prices. I’m just in the process of buying and this location vs property trade off is one I’ve carefully considered.

Hopefully you might find this useful.

If you want easy amenities and zero flood risk (ever) woodseats is place to look. I lived there for 5 years and would go back. Only downside is the Chesterfield road traffic.

If you’ve got 300k to drop on a beautiful terrace
    S10/nether edge end of town is the place to go with nice parks, open space and upmarket shops/restaurants real Victorian esque tree lined suburbia. A good semi will set you back 450+

The value up and coming end of town is around rother valley, some nice open spaces about 6-7 from the centre and bordering with Derbyshire, you’d get a lovely detached for 400k

I didn’t mention it but lots of others did Walkley is a nice area, easy shopping/bars/restaurants and many early 1900s characterful properties.

In northern terms sheffield is a bit of a property bubble. However, if compared to the south everything will seem a bargain.

Imho sheffield has some of best transport links around, it certainly doesn’t have the as busy hectic feel of Manchester/Leeds.

Plus the most important part! Lots of micro-breweries in Kelham Island and many more pubs around showcasing Yorkshire’s finest ales.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean89 View Post
    I’ll add my 2p for what it’s worth.

I traded a devoid soulless place of many roundabouts (Milton keynes) for Sheffield 13 years ago as a student and I’ve never regretted it.

There is a part of town for every kind of lifestyle and a car is not required 99.9% of the time to get around. There is huge variation on property prices. I’m just in the process of buying and this location vs property trade off is one I’ve carefully considered.

Hopefully you might find this useful.

If you want easy amenities and zero flood risk (ever) woodseats is place to look. I lived there for 5 years and would go back. Only downside is the Chesterfield road traffic.

If you’ve got 300k to drop on a beautiful terrace
    S10/nether edge end of town is the place to go with nice parks, open space and upmarket shops/restaurants real Victorian esque tree lined suburbia. A good semi will set you back 450+

The value up and coming end of town is around rother valley, some nice open spaces about 6-7 from the centre and bordering with Derbyshire, you’d get a lovely detached for 400k

I didn’t mention it but lots of others did Walkley is a nice area, easy shopping/bars/restaurants and many early 1900s characterful properties.

In northern terms sheffield is a bit of a property bubble. However, if compared to the south everything will seem a bargain.

Imho sheffield has some of best transport links around, it certainly doesn’t have the as busy hectic feel of Manchester/Leeds.

Plus the most important part! Lots of micro-breweries in Kelham Island and many more pubs around showcasing Yorkshire’s finest ales.
    Well said, that's a good 2p worth. I've lived in Sheffield all my life and couldn't have put that any better.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Crosspool, good call as well.
    Crosspool is great. I've lived there on two separate occasions and it has everything really. Two pubs (food orientated, but good enough), a small supermarket, PO, butcher, greengrocer, bakery, couple of takeaways, on a really good bus route. Walkable into town. Broomhill and Ranmoor are walkable if you want to try other pubs and restaurants. There are two highly regarded secondary schools which will help you sell very quickly should the time come.

Only slight downside is the housing stock is a bit dull. Mostly pre and post-war semis, but many have been extended and done up to a nice standard.

Had a few weekends in Sheffield many years ago. My mate (one of my rock climbing partners) went to the Uni there. Plenty of good nights down Ecclesall road.

Great climbing, walking and mountain biking in the Peak District of course.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

She took the job so a move at some point is fairly likely - her workplace is on the far west side of the city centre next to Broomhall so living somewhere like Crookes seems to be the best bet. What's Broomhall like by the way? And is it Broomhall or Broomhill? It seems a bit unclear.

Thanks again to everyone who replied - you've all been incredibly helpful.