closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Audamars Piguet offshore wrist shot picture request 42mm

Master
    Blog Entries

Audamars Piguet offshore wrist shot picture request 42mm

I have been toying with the thought of buying an Audamars offshore 42mm diver (on bracelet) or hunting down a nice early D serial Beast. Just not sure how one would fair on my 6 3/4 - 7 inch wrist? I wear a Panerai 1a, SD 400c and a G Shock oak and they do not bother me. I wonder just how do the AP’s sit with their height factored in on the wrist. Any input or picture would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    M

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by milwatch126 View Post
    I have been toying with the thought of buying an Audamars offshore 42mm diver (on bracelet) or hunting down a nice early D serial Beast. Just not sure how one would fair on my 6 3/4 - 7 inch wrist? I wear a Panerai 1a, SD 400c and a G Shock oak and they do not bother me. I wonder just how do the AP’s sit with their height factored in on the wrist. Any input or picture would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    M
    An AP Offshore has always been on my 'list' but always seems to be a long way off,
    I too have slim wrists but 44mm Panerai and SD4K are fine for me, would also be interested to see pics (I've never tried one on)

Definitely go and try one on your wrist, when you can. I loved the feel, at least on the rubber, never got a chance to try one on the bracelet like a few members have though, but I do have larger wrists and they aren’t a small watch. I was wearing a DSSD the last time I tried one one, so it felt absolutely fine by comparison. I should have bought, as from memory, like a number of brands, it was around 50% of the current prices :(
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman

This image was whilst holding my phone and makes it look larger than it is. My wrist is aprox 8 inches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The lug to lug is crucial with ROO even though 42mm isn't huge in itself. On the rubber strap the angled lugs make the strap bow out on a smaller wrist. I got away with a 44mm Luminor but not the ROO Safari. Definitely try before you buy.

Blog Entries
    Here is a short video of when I owned one briefly. My wrist is 6 3/4 inch. It is a very snug fit. Quite a “tall” watch and no shrinking violet.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-...2BkPnC-640.mp4

Only reason I had to move it on was I just could not hide it from my better half and this was meant to be in my “abstinence phase”.

Do try one on but if you are ok with a SD43 I don’t think you’ll have a problem wearing a AP ROO

here is a picture as requested

with the bracelet I imagine it would wear wider due to the bracelet pushing out the perceived width.

Comparison to VC 4500. For me I think the bracelet would be too much overhang of the wrist, your wrist may be different shape.

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 14th January 2021 at 12:00.

My wrists are about the same size as yours, I found I couldn't get comfy with the standard royal oak bracelet. The case slightly overhung my wrists meaning the bracelet didn't sit right and seemed to bind.

Master

Audamars Piguet offshore wrist shot picture request 42mm

I toyed with the idea of one and tried it on at the AD
    Wrist is similar size to yours.
    Although it didn’t look as bad as I expected I always thought the pics of Martyn’s one in this thread made me think it was too big for him and likewise would be for me.
    You try and convince yourself otherwise but it’s too expensive a watch to have nagging doubts about size.
    Last edited by Hood; 14th January 2021 at 14:46.

@OP fortunately i did a size comparison back when the SD43 was launched, so you can compare it against a known size.

will update with 44mm Bettarini case pam pics as for comparison
    Last edited by endo; 14th January 2021 at 15:58.

As many have said on here they’re a big watch, I’ve had two divers (got rid of one, regretted it) and a chrono (which despite the 42mm size wears bigger than the diver IMHO).

I have smallish wrists, 6.75-7” depending on heat, water retention, time of the month (day) etc etc and it’s big but not unmanageable (I’m sure some will have opinions on that from the photo below but sod ‘em, I love the thing).

I bought a full set including bracelet and that’s where it gets big on a smaller wrist. I prefer the watch on a bracelet but interestingly it’s the only time my wife has expressed an opinion on a watch by saying it was too big and looked better on the rubber, where mine has stayed since.

The problem with these kind of pics is always the foreshortening that the camera phone lens does and makes the thing look way bigger than it wears. The better pic is probably face on, in a mirror to show that the lugs don’t hang over and the watch looks more normal.

Same watch, same wrist, different angle and different perspective of size IMHO

Master
    The pics/video are great some food for thought for the OP I'm sure
    I'm still a long way from being able to purchase/justify but will definitely be taking a better look in AD's when shopping will be somewhat more normal

Master
    Probably the bigger problem for me was justifying the price hike they have taken in the last couple of years
    I think they were about 13K and up to about 19K now I think.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Probably the bigger problem for me was justifying the price hike they have taken in the last couple of years
    If it's any consolation - VC has gone the same route. Same ballpark figures - though the VC Chrono is more like >22K (steel)
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 14th January 2021 at 18:43.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    If it's any consolation - VC has gone the same route. Same ballpark figures - though the VC Chrono is more like >22K (steel)
    Some idiot (me) sold his recently-serviced version for £8250 a few years ago!

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...Audemars+diver

FWIW, I have sub 6.5" wrists and found the diver a perfect fit - on the AP short length rubber strap. I've had two, and would pick up another blue-yellow in a heart beat. In fact, I have two suitable straps squirreled away!

simon

Master
    OP given your wrist size and what you have now a diver will absolutely be fine.
    As others have mentioned it will be a ‘better fit’ in rubber than bracelet but the you only live once so I would get the bracelet (I miss the 42 I had in bracelet) as it really is amazing.
    Only issue is go in ‘eyes wide open’ that the bezel will scratch up given overall height dimensions (which is why I moved to 44mm’s with ceramic bezels).
    And yes you may need the sort strap.
    Last edited by JP28; 14th January 2021 at 21:42.

Quote Originally Posted by gladders View Post

FWIW, I have sub 6.5" wrists and found the diver a perfect fit - on the AP short length rubber strap. I've had two, and would pick up another blue-yellow in a heart beat. In fact, I have two suitable straps squirreled away!

simon
    Simon, did you get the short length from an AP AD or is there anywhere online that sells them? I’ve looked at Horus and AP bands but they’re all single size (normal)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    Simon, did you get the short length from an AP AD or is there anywhere online that sells them? I’ve looked at Horus and AP bands but they’re all single size (normal)
    I got mine through the boutique in Harrods. They weren’t cheap - I think about £240 from memory.

simon

I got mine through the boutique in Harrods. They weren’t cheap - I think about £240 from memory.

simon
    Thanks Simon 👍🏻

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Don't feel too bad, the blue your tried on was never availiable for 13k :P
    It launched in 2017 as a SE around 17.5k iirc

downside the stealth price increase happened a week or so back, its now 20.4k (1k increase)

Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post
    Don't feel too bad, the blue your tried on was never availiable for 13k :P
    It launched in 2017 as a SE around 17.5k iirc

downside the stealth price increase happened a week or so back, its now 20.4k (1k increase)
    20.4k for the standard AP DIver????? Total bonkers.

Master

simon
    A fair bit more than that for OEM rubber now...

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    20.4k for the standard AP DIver????? Total bonkers.
    Yup sneaky new years price increase....
    Not as bad as the price jump on the 15500or :/ (gone up 9k in the 18 months since i tried it on)

Quote Originally Posted by JP28 View Post
    A fair bit more than that for OEM rubber now...
    £270 is what a paid for the le purple in Sept.
    But alot can change in 4 months
    Last edited by endo; 14th January 2021 at 21:52.

Pah! Might just keep the standard strap on or get a couple of Horus ones instead

simon
    I bought the Diver from Simon back then and very much enjoyed it for a while and then as always happens circumstances change and there is always something new and shiny dangled in front of us, in my case that was the SD43 and a 116660 Deepsea Blue. I have both the SD43 and the Diver for a while and the Diver was certainly bigger on the wrist. I'd have another in a heartbeat, I keep looking at the white dial one on SC at the moment but it would mean something would have to leave in order to justify that purchase and at the moment I am more than content with my line up.

6.75" wrists

Craftsman
    Over £4k for the titanium bracelet now which i have asked about for my 42mm ROO.

Master
    I found that they wear better on the rubber.

And look better too.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Got to say I like the bracelet, beast like look.

M