closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Zenith Type 20 40mm - Opinions

Zenith Type 20 40mm - Opinions

With advancing age I put a high premium on legibility and I think this fits the bill. At 40mm it looks like it would work on my wrist. Any owners here, or general opinions please.
    http://778C32CC-8C3F-4A60-9E34-AA28380396D5 by meffiah, on Flickr

I like the type 20’s but part of me feels they are supposed to be an oversized pilots watch. However, if it fits well and you love the style, then it’s a great watch to fit the brief.

I have a few very legible watches, and found the Tudors, in the Ranger and Pelagos to be exceptional in that regard, and my white dial Rolex Explorer II. Blancpain 50 Fathoms, and most Bremonts have very good legibility too.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I like the type 20’s but part of me feels they are supposed to be an oversized pilots watch. However, if it fits well and you love the style, then it’s a great watch to fit the brief.
    I came here to say that.

I have a bronze Type 20, I thought about the 40mm but it didn't seem right, it felt like a watch that worked much better as a 45mm.

If you’re canvassing general opinions, it looks a bit gothic steampunk to me.

Not my taste, but that’s not worth much. It does look very legible.

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    If you’re canvassing general opinions, it looks a bit gothic steampunk to me.

Not my taste, but that’s not worth much. It does look very legible.
    Had to google gothic steampunk :). I accept it’s not for everyone but I quite like it, whether I like it enough to buy it at £4900.00 might take me a day or two to decide. I agree that these watches look better at bigger sizes but 45mm would look awful on my scrawny wrist.

"Extra Special" was an insult where I grew up!

Master
    Agree with the oversize comments. I have this one which is actually 48mm, but wears nothing like that. I would try it on before buying as could wear much smaller than 40mm

Thanks - what wrist size are you - I’m 6.75 inches.

Zenith Type 20 40mm - Opinions

Well, I have an alternative view. I love the style of the watch and the aged steel looks great but I always found the 45mm just too big and with the thin bezel they wore large on my flat 7.5” inch wrist.

Therefore, I went with the Green 40mm Extra Special Pilot. I thought it may be a little small as I generally find 42mm as my sweet spot but it wears bigger for the reason I state above, it is a lot of dial and not much bezel. I also thinks it looks much better and is certainly more wearable/versatile than a 45mm giant!

However, I would say you want a healthy discount if buying new and I wouldn’t want to be paying any where near retail price.

Last edited by paw3001; 13th January 2021 at 23:58.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinaldo1711 View Post
    Thanks - what wrist size are you - I’m 6.75 inches.
    7.25” but fairly flat and generally wear larger watches

Craftsman
    extremely legible dial and the lume is incredible

Master
    I think it’s one of those watches I look at and it’s 50/50 whether I like it, then the more you look at like the more it grows on you.

Craftsman
    There were some healthy discounts on this & or the bigger model on one of the PSA sales. Burrels maybe?
    I like the smaller ones as same size wrist as you but not such a fan of this blue.
    Would love if the numerals had some depth to them as well

Nice watch from a great maker. If it fit's, you like it, and it suits your style then why not.

My Tudor BB bought for similar reasons. Can't even see the date in my Rolex anymore without glasses, the time remains legible but the 24 hour hand often requires a second look!