Curious to know where people think watches will go in the future? Desirability, collecting, wearing, pricing, all of it.

The rise of the smart watches could be the end of watches as we know it - I’ve been reading that for a couple of years or more now and personally whilst some people have gone that way, I think the number of people that are actually ‘into watches’ is growing. Quite a few people I know enjoy watches more than I can remember. Younger people as well. Lots of younger people actually. I can name half a dozen I know all under 30 that love talking about watches. Whether that’s down to social media like Instagram or not, if it’s now a fashion accessory, or purely the enjoyment of wearing one, I’m not sure.

Pricing - this is a strange one. For the last say 3 years I’ve been thinking that watch prices have peaked in the pre owned market and brand new prices are too high and will fall. So far I’ve called it totally wrong! I’m not just talking Rolex either, many of the higher end brands have seen the new and pre owned prices rise and rise. Obviously the last year had been the strangest one in all of our lives. Some people have put more money into watches so demand has increased and supply has probably reduced so that’s one factor. On the other side though, some have seen their interest wane.

For me my interest in watches is as high as I can remember, I think the future is safe and whilst technology overtakes most things in life, watch interest and demand will continue to thrive.