closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Starlink - anyone?

Starlink - anyone?

Just received an email from (Elon's) Starlink that the service will become available at where I live from mid to late this year. Tempted to give it a try. Anyone else?

I'm lucky that I can get FTTP - I guess Starlink is the provider of last resort given the cost?

Quote Originally Posted by tommyzzj View Post
    Just received an email from (Elon's) Starlink that the service will become available at where I live from mid to late this year. Tempted to give it a try. Anyone else?
    Why?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    I'd love to give it a go just for the indulgent nerd pleasure of using satellite Internet, but the cost is prohibitive for that. It would undoubtedly be substantially slower than my existing broadband connection.

I think where it will eventually come into its own is for moving vehicles, when the necessary equipment can be manufactured to be compact and reliable enough for that.

Master
    Seems a bit excessive! I am getting 110mb fibre currently at £33 or something.

Starlink is targeting coverage in your area in mid to late 2021. You will receive a notification once your Starlink is ready to ship.
    Hardware
    £439.00
    Service
    £89.00 /mo
    Shipping & Handling
    £54.00
    Pricing above includes local taxes totaling approx. £97.00
    Due Today
    £89.00

I have registered and received an email from them asking for my money a few weeks ago. The issue I have is paying full price for what is currently a Beta service.

We currently can only get 1mbps with BT down a copper line, so don't bother. Instead we have 3 x 4g contracts, one in the main house router which controls the Sky Q via CAT5 and then my partner and I have one each in order to work from home.

In a years' time when more satellites have been launched we'll probably make the jump as the speeds offered are far better than the 20-30mbps we get with Three.