closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Moving multiple files from iPhone to PC

Craftsman

Moving multiple files from iPhone to PC

My lad wants to transfer several hundred files from his iPhone to a PC or MAC. Anyone found an easy way or some reliable free software to do this?

Master
    Not terribly helpful as I can’t immediately remember how but I have transferred photos before by plugging the iPhone into my PC and viewing the phone as a drive. Then just drag and drop.

Hopefully someone will fill in the blanks.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Not terribly helpful as I can’t immediately remember how but I have transferred photos before by plugging the iPhone into my PC and viewing the phone as a drive. Then just drag and drop.

Hopefully someone will fill in the blanks.
    That what he wants to do but it’s not that simple apparently. Maybe Apple have tightened up their security a bit and hidden or removed that facility.

Craftsman
    I use Airdroid on Android. There's an Apple version. https://help.airdroid.com/hc/en-us/a...d-Personal-iOS

He needs to install I-Tunes on to his PC for Apple only know reasons.

He could always keep them in the cloud.

But the process to put them his PC is here

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201302#importpc

Depending on the age of the iPhone and the Mac, he could use Airdrop. Before I synced my iPhone and Mac book pro, I had to use airdrop to transfer batches of photographs from one to the other. He could also look at Dropbox and have it set to be used on both his iPhone and Mac. I used it to keep my court documents in one place and the free version allowed me to have three devices synced with Dropbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    He needs to install I-Tunes on to his PC for Apple only know reasons.

He could always keep them in the cloud.

But the process to put them his PC is here

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201302#importpc
    I haven't looked recently, but is there any way to get stuff from the cloud to PC?

Where are the files at the moment?

The iOS Files app lets you copy files to SMB shares on a local network. SMB is the usual way of sharing folders on PCs.

On the iPhone/iPad, open Files. On the Browse tab, check to see if the computer is listed in the Servers section. If it isn’t touch the 3 dots at the top right and chose Connect to Server. Enter the server name. You will be promoted to enter the username and password. Once you’ve done this, you will be able to browse shared folders and copy files to the computer.

Master
    It's super easy with Dropbox, Onedrive or similar software.

Unless the total filesize is absolutely massive just use OneDrive/iCloud Drive/Google Drive/Dropbox etc. Going to be much easier.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hops View Post
    That what he wants to do but it’s not that simple apparently. Maybe Apple have tightened up their security a bit and hidden or removed that facility.
    I’ll have to have a look. Sure I did it in the last 2/3 months. Must have been simple if I could do it!

Master
    Are the files on his phone or in the cloud? Does he want them on a PC or Mac.
    Depending on the answers the methods may be a little different

Craftsman

A bit of both

Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Are the files on his phone or in the cloud? Does he want them on a PC or Mac.
    Depending on the answers the methods may be a little different
    he has in the region of 9000 files, he’s tried to move them into a cloud based system, not sure which one, but the transfer process keeps hanging up mid way through. He wasn’t very organised at the start so now isn’t sure exactly what has transferred and what hasn’t. He wants to transfer the files from phone to Windows 10 PC. I think he’s done a reset on the PC and made some space as the hard drive was almost full and is starting again and transferring in batches so hopefully will get there in the end. Thanks for the tips this far gents.

He was having issues getting iTunes to sync with his phone but believe he may have sorted that now to.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    I haven't looked recently, but is there any way to get stuff from the cloud to PC?
    You just download it

It does beg gthe question of why the Op wants to save everything to his PC though.
    Unless he wants to then transfer to a back up drive to keep copies of the images.
    If you then have them in the cloud and on an external drive you will have decent back up.

Just keeping them on the laptop on the hard drive is dangerous.

As someone told me 20 years ago

There are two types of computer users

1) Those who take regular back ups
    2) Those who haven't had a hard drive failure - yet.

Master
    https://www.copytrans.net/

I have been using this for years ( iTunes mistrust) Cheap and reliable and does allsorts including cloud to pc

B

Master
    I did it about 2 weeks ago with a 4-5 years old iPhone 6S.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I’ll have to have a look. Sure I did it in the last 2/3 months. Must have been simple if I could do it!

Craftsman

Thanks for the tips gents

I will pass them on