closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone make 5513 homage - plexi, 4mm etc?

Blog Entries

Does anyone make 5513 homage - plexi, 4mm etc?

I had a 5513 back in the day. Paid £2,600 for it from a friend and sold it a couple of years later for the same amount on here. Those were the days! Gratuitous photo below:

Sadly now not only way out of my league value wise, I would never feel comfortable wearing the value of a 5513 nowadays on my wrist even if I could afford it.

But I miss the case lines and feel of the plexi and overall simplicity of the old sub.

I am aware of the sterile dials (not for me) and the limited Raven 40mm cased vintage (love it, exactly what I want but rare as hens teeth on the market). Raven also did a 42mm but too big I think, also rare.

I quite like the look of the Baltic Aquascape - but it still isn't close enough for me in looks and has sapphire crystal.

Aquascaphe Black Cream - The Ultimate Daily Watch - Baltic Watches (baltic-watches.com)

Anyone know of something out there that fits my bill?

40mm
    Sub homage case and bezel etc for overall aesthetic - as close to the original as possible
    Domed plexi

Pictures or links very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Rob

Craftsman
    now that is a beauty. the 5513 is probably the best submariner model. have you tried the usual
    suspects squale and steinhart for a homage sub?

I imagine one of the wmt watches would be close. I hate Mercedes hands, so went for a version without, but they do plenty with.

Craftsman
    May I suggest the Lorier Neptune. I know it is not just like the Submariner but would be a very good alternative and it does have a beautiful domed acrylic crystal.

Never owned a 5513 but here’s the WMT Subdiver (mentioned above) next to a 14060. It’s built very well:)

Quote Originally Posted by kneadking View Post
    May I suggest the Lorier Neptune. I know it is not just like the Submariner but would be a very good alternative and it does have a beautiful domed acrylic crystal.
    I also owned a Neptune before, that domed crystal is very domed indeed.. but as mentioned it has very little similarity on the wrist compared to a Rolex
    Last edited by tommyzzj; 13th January 2021 at 11:00.

At the risk of sounding like an echo, if you want a cheap 5513 homage I would look at the WMT. I bought one 18 months or so ago, I customised it to get the exact look I was after. Its a good fun beater, the crystal looks great, the lume is good. I am happy with mine.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 13th January 2021 at 11:11.

I keep coming back to the WMT watches - I have to say they do look good, even the fake patina looks convincing in the macro shots I see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    At the risk of sounding like an echo, if you want a cheap 5513 homage I would look at the WMT. I bought one 18 months or so ago, I customised it to get the exact look I was after. Its a good fun beater, the crystal looks great, the lume is good. I am happy with mine.
    Looks great that. What exactly have you customised? What movement do they have?

Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    Looks great that. What exactly have you customised? What movement do they have?
    I used the customiser function to choose all the parts, dial, hands, bezel, crystal etc. you can configure the watch to your exact requirements on their website. - I wanted a generic mil-sub look but not an out and out copy.

They have a seiko NE15 inside
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 13th January 2021 at 11:46.

I used the customiser function to choose all the parts, dial, hands, bezel, crystal etc. you can configure the watch to your exact requirements on their website. - I wanted a generic mil-sub look but not a out and out copy.

Thanks for that. Might have a nosey myself.

Wow, WMT was a revealation for me. Looks impressive

- - - Updated - - -

I used the customiser function to choose all the parts, dial, hands, bezel, crystal etc. you can configure the watch to your exact requirements on their website. - I wanted a generic mil-sub look but not an out and out copy.

I think now they have NH35.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 13th January 2021 at 18:11.

ISTR that, in this field, OWC were firm favourites for a while. (Well, fifteen minutes or so!)

Current website is:

http://www.orangewatchcompany.com/

May be something there for the OP.
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Wow, WMT was a reevaluation for me. Looks impressive

I think now they have NH35.
    They may well use the NH35 now. The power reserve on mine is well over 2 days.
    If I have one minor gripe it is that the crown is a little small in the crown guards, other than that for the money I think they are good. - I got a discount via an offer on instagram when they launched so might be worth seeing if they have the same every now and again.
    They have a very vintage vibe, very similar to my 7016 in size weight, feel and how it wears (unsurprisingly)
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 13th January 2021 at 12:45.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    I imagine one of the wmt watches would be close. I hate Mercedes hands, so went for a version without, but they do plenty with.
    Warren you've hit the proverbial nail right smack in the middle of its head mate.

Thanks all for the various suggestions and those chipping in supporting the WMT option. The customisation options and fab double dome plexi are exactly what I was after. Only issue now is I also want to customise one of the Blanpain homages as well!

Cheers all,

Back to the WMT website to spend an enjoyable lunch hour messing around with options!

Rob

Sorry to barge in but does anyone have the aged case option or are those above the aged ,dial, hands and bezel?

They look great

Quote Originally Posted by AIDM View Post
    Warren you've hit the proverbial nail right smack in the middle of its head mate.

Thanks all for the various suggestions and those chipping in supporting the WMT option. The customisation options and fab double dome plexi are exactly what I was after. Only issue now is I also want to customise one of the Blanpain homages as well!

Cheers all,

Back to the WMT website to spend an enjoyable lunch hour messing around with options!

Rob
    I'd been considering one for ages, really happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post
    Sorry to barge in but does anyone have the aged case option or are those above the aged ,dial, hands and bezel?

They look great
    Mine was not aged, I thought about it but I figured it would soon wreck it myself.
    I am tempted to bleach the bezel but when I have tried it before its never resulted in the look I set out to achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by acg View Post

They look great
    Mine was aged:)

It is a slow afternoon so I bleached the bezel, Its not great but it will do

Journeyman
    They look great, just the sort of thing I've been looking for. I've had my sub roughly 10 years and seen 'values' steadily creeping up to the point where I feel slightly uncomfortable wearing it for every day use.

Blog Entries
    I had a 5513 back in the day. Paid £2,600 for it from a friend and sold it a couple of years later for the same amount on here. Those were the days! Gratuitous photo below:

Sadly now not only way out of my league value wise, I would never feel comfortable wearing the value of a 5513 nowadays on my wrist even if I could afford it.

But I miss the case lines and feel of the plexi and overall simplicity of the old sub.

I am aware of the sterile dials (not for me) and the limited Raven 40mm cased vintage (love it, exactly what I want but rare as hens teeth on the market). Raven also did a 42mm but too big I think, also rare.

I quite like the look of the Baltic Aquascape - but it still isn't close enough for me in looks and has sapphire crystal.

Aquascaphe Black Cream - The Ultimate Daily Watch - Baltic Watches (baltic-watches.com)

Anyone know of something out there that fits my bill?

40mm
    Sub homage case and bezel etc for overall aesthetic - as close to the original as possible
    Domed plexi

Pictures or links very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Rob
    You could try tiger concept. William offers a plethora of old style sub homages with top hat crystals, domed and plexiglass.

http://www.tiger-concept.com/

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Cheers,

Rob
    Hi Rob,

I think I bought that watch from you and I still have it. Looks just as good today! It is the kind of watch that is difficult to take off once it gets a turn on the wrist.

I recall that you used to work on an airfield? I think it was you that also sold a genuine Omega Seamaster 300, obtained from a submariner? If not, my memory is playing tricks. :-)

Cheers
    Tony

Tiger Concept are OK:

But …

This watch is design for 10 ATM.
    We do not warranty for water damage.
    Watch is water resistant only, not recommended for swimming or diving.
    Wording on all watch dial is for decoration purpose only.

I tried the Tiger Explorer GMT but sold it after a week. It was cheap and felt it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    Hi Rob,

I think I bought that watch from you and I still have it. Looks just as good today! It is the kind of watch that is difficult to take off once it gets a turn on the wrist.

I recall that you used to work on an airfield? I think it was you that also sold a genuine Omega Seamaster 300, obtained from a submariner? If not, my memory is playing tricks. :-)

Cheers
    Tony
    Indeed it was Tony!

Genuinely pleased to hear you still have the watch and are still enjoying it. What with a wife, two kids and a few rungs up the property ladder life expenses - and the astronomical rise in value in quality watches - I doubt I'll ever be owning any vintage Rolex again. Looking back I went through Seadwellers, Speedmasters (an Ed White I owned and sold for £3.5kish from memory! Bezel alone is worth more than that now!) and plenty of others that I would never be able to attain again.

I only really hung on to my 39mm Explorer (and glad I did!) that was my everyday watch for about six years until I picked up a lovely IWC Mk XVI recently and that has lit the fires again!

If you ever look to sell the 5513 remember forum etiquette demands you offer back to me first and obviously at the same price I sold it to you at. ;)

I still work at the Airport and thanks for remembering the Seamaster 300, it is difficult to forget that one to be honest. Out of all the watches I ever owned that is the one I would go back in time and beat myself over the head with for even thinking about parting with it.

When is a Seamaster a genuine Submariner..... (tz-uk.com)

From memory I got £1800 for that watch - value now? Tens of thousands I'd hazard a guess.

All the best Tony mate,

Rob

Hi Rob,

Nice to hear you are back in the saddle, so to speak. At the end of the day, needs must and i would do the same if i needed the cash. There is a never ending number of 5513 homages on the market, the names just change. I started with an ‘O&W’ way back. I doubt they are still going though.
    Nice article here for Squale and Steinhart but it does contain a lovely picture of a Seamaster 300!

https://www.gnomonwatches.com/blogs/...iver-s-watches
    Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 14th January 2021 at 07:30.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Tony, that was an interesting read. 👍

With regard to the Squale, these are really great watches for the money, I bought one from SC and modded replaced the hands with snowflake hands. However I never got the chance to wear it, the Mrs claimed it as soon as I had completed it! Its not a 5513 homage its more like a 14060 (or what ever the date version was) in looks but I would say they are a step up in quality when compared to the WMT.

Craftsman

The Baltic gets a lot of love generally and for my tastes is a better looking watch than the Sub or it's copies.
    It's mainly the simplified bezel that does it for me as it moves it a bit closer to the FiftyFathoms which is an all time favourite. It also has the benefit of it's own personality rather than a well executed copy, but if you are looking for something as close to the Sub as you can get there's lots of options already posted.

I suppose much of the 5513 appeal comes from the acrylic crystal - understandably so. A competent watch technician can convert most watches from mineral or sapphire to an acrylic crystal. In the past I had a vintage Junghans and a vintage Seiko converted to acrylic crystals with very good results. Just something to keep in mind if there are certain watches that you find attractive that don't come with an acrylic crystal.
    There's also an interesting thread regarding the topic of acrylic conversions: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...crylic-Crystal

Quote Originally Posted by dschaen81 View Post
    I suppose much of the 5513 appeal comes from the acrylic crystal - understandably so. A competent watch technician can convert most watches from mineral or sapphire to an acrylic crystal. In the past I had a vintage Junghans and a vintage Seiko converted to acrylic crystals with very good results. Just something to keep in mind if there are certain watches that you find attractive that don't come with an acrylic crystal.
    There's also an interesting thread regarding the topic of acrylic conversions: https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...crylic-Crystal
    Yes - that one was pretty straightforward, You do need to know how the crystal is seated but I agree, a lot of watches could be converted.

Based on the evidence so far on the thread, I guess WMT is your best bet if you want the 5513 look. I have had a couple of Tiger concept watches and they look and feel like their price. I have several Steinharts and while the quality is good, I always feel there is something missing. Have never had a WMT before but they do seem well out together with ability to customise. Baltic is a good watch but is more Blancpain territory and not what you are after.

Craftsman
    Tisell

TISELL Vintage Submersible 90s5 lume C3 Automatic Diver 200M

http://tisellkr.com

$245 plus some customs charges, I paid €48, for my 9015-EX

Quote Originally Posted by kildareman View Post
    Tisell

TISELL Vintage Submersible 90s5 lume C3 Automatic Diver 200M

http://tisellkr.com

$245 plus some customs charges, I paid €48, for my 9015-EX
    Not bad!

I have just placed an order for a WMT royal marine milsub after spending some time with a similar type watch.

Hoping to see it in the next few weeks as the guy says it usually takes sometime to find them under the sand on that Dorset beach the SBS use to train .

Ps, he also says that your invitation to Issued 2021 is in the box, just fill it in and return it to Mike wood at the old watch shop.

Last edited by Euan Begbie; 15th January 2021 at 08:20.

Blog Entries
    Some great info in this thread, thanks all! Looks like there is a WMT in my near future for sure!

The Squale has always been on my radar - but the smaller Steinharts were new to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Euan Begbie View Post
    I have just placed an order for a WMT royal marine milsub after spending some time with a similar type watch.

Hoping to see it in the next few weeks as the guy says it usually takes sometime to find them under the sand on that Dorset beach the SBS use to train .

Ps, he also says that your invitation to Issued 2021 is in the box, just fill it in and return it to Mike wood at the old watch shop.

😂😂😂

Best get both my DJ and metal detector out of storage!

I would agree with a majority of the sentiment in here regarding WMT. It was the limited edition Royal Marine ‘Rolex 5517 Milsub’ that hit a note with me. I had missed the original sale but luckily manage to pick one up from a WTB on here.

Overall I’m fairly impressed with the overall package, IMO they have got it spot on with the look. If I have one gripe it’s the Miyota movement (cal 8215) they use for a majority of their models, I knew that there was the so called ‘stutter’ which is there but not really noticeable but my main issue is the rotor noise (which I believe to be result of the single winding direction) one flick of the wrist and there’s a rotor noise that can be both heard and felt. Overall time-keeping is around 15spd so not too bad.

Some of the models now come with the Seiko NH35 but not all so it may be worth checking the website.

All in all I’m happy as I have the Milsub look for 0.08% of the price. It’s a good fun beater!

Last edited by clemenry; 15th January 2021 at 10:06.

Master
    ^

That looks really good, maybe could do with the hands staining a bit to match.

I was really impressed with the silver watch co watch I bought off here (that I’ve just put in SC, only for full members before anyone starts).

My idea was to put a high top Rolex plexi with magnifier on but sadly the Rolex crystals available won’t fit. Couldn’t find anything else high or square enough for the look I was after either.

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    ^

That looks really good, maybe could do with the hands staining a bit to match.

I was really impressed with the silver watch co watch I bought off here (that I’ve just put in SC, only for full members before anyone starts).

My idea was to put a high top Rolex plexi with magnifier on but sadly the Rolex crystals available won’t fit. Couldn’t find anything else high or square enough for the look I was after either.
    Thanks. Yes there are a few things that I would personally change to make it more akin to the original (fixed bars, better match of the hands to the dial) but I keep arguing with myself about whether to bother or not.

Out of interest does anyone know who would be able to modify the case to convert from spring bars to fixed bars and age the case a little?? I would no doubt use thealchemistrelumer to do the lume work as his work is second to none.

Would any of the WMT owners care to comment on the quality of the WMT lume?
    I cannot see much info out there, does it barely work, work, work well, glow like a torch?
    Thanks
    D

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I cannot see much info out there, does it barely work, work, work well, glow like a torch?
    Thanks
    D
    I'll try and remember to get you a photo when it's dark .. to be honest I don't really take much notice of the lume (maybe that gives you all the answer you need) but I would say that the lume on the 'aged' dial plots is pretty non-existent, the hands do glow a bit (so assume they have used different lume for each part). I can't really comment on the longevity of the lume but I don't think it lasts long.

I don’t think the lume is that bad. It’s not Seiko bright but it’s better than most. You can see the dial and hands glowing when you walk in to a room from outside and you can tell the time at 4 in the morning

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Thanks
    D
    I have an aged version and it has no lume (not that I'm bothered by it :D )

Thanks gents, seems a bit hit and miss. We have an okay, a quite good and a non-existent.....

Quote Originally Posted by clemenry View Post
    I would agree with a majority of the sentiment in here regarding WMT. It was the limited edition Royal Marine ‘Rolex 5517 Milsub’ that hit a note with me. I had missed the original sale but luckily manage to pick one up from a WTB on here.

Overall I’m fairly impressed with the overall package, IMO they have got it spot on with the look. If I have one gripe it’s the Miyota movement (cal 8215) they use for a majority of their models, I knew that there was the so called ‘stutter’ which is there but not really noticeable but my main issue is the rotor noise (which I believe to be result of the single winding direction) one flick of the wrist and there’s a rotor noise that can be both heard and felt. Overall time-keeping is around 15spd so not too bad.

Some of the models now come with the Seiko NH35 but not all so it may be worth checking the website.

All in all I’m happy as I have the Milsub look for 0.08% of the price. It’s a good fun beater!

That looks great, but I don’t seem to be able to find it on the WMT website.

Quote Originally Posted by Murdoc View Post
    It was a limited edition run that has long since sold out. I had to get mine through a WTB

Quote Originally Posted by clemenry View Post
    It was a limited edition run that has long since sold out. I had to get mine through a WTB

Ah ok thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Murdoc View Post
    I emailed them directly to place the order

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hi
    if anyone else interested?

Amazon have these at the moment NATO and strap and rivet bracelet versions. I like the Bond NATO big crown version.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...3-7bc79d9c8b60

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Walter-Mitt..._t3_B086BNJJFP

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Walter-Mitt..._t2_B07C2WDX7L

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Walter-Mitt..._t2_B07VXRV6PS

M

Journeyman
    Nice find! Interested to learn more about WMT. Looks the part but is the quality all there?
    For mid £200s its seems like a good bang for the buck.

Quote Originally Posted by milwatch126 View Post
    Hi
    if anyone else interested?

Amazon have these at the moment NATO and strap and rivet bracelet versions. I like the Bond NATO big crown version.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...3-7bc79d9c8b60

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Walter-Mitt..._t3_B086BNJJFP

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Walter-Mitt..._t2_B07C2WDX7L

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Walter-Mitt..._t2_B07VXRV6PS

M

Where are people buying the WMT watches from? Direct from their website?

I wonder how the quality compared to Ginault.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk