closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Will I pay taxes for purchasing from the UK?

Will I pay taxes for purchasing from the UK?

Dear folks,

I'm having a conversation with one of the local gents about purchasing his phone - thing is, neither of us knows if I'll pay some taxes when receiving it from the UK (I'm located in EU/ Romania). Does any of you know if this will be the case? Many thanks!

Cheers,
    Christian

This may help:

https://www.simplyduty.com/

Chris.

Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk

Many thanks Chris, useful site!

It turns out I have to pay VAT, which suddenly makes the acquisition much less enticing... I just realised that probably my days of purchasing stuff from the SC are by far and large over.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooster View Post

It turns out I have to pay VAT, which suddenly makes the acquisition much less enticing... I just realised that probably my days of purchasing stuff from the SC are by far and large over.
    When the situation is back to a little more normal, I go to France 3 or 4 times a year in my car... If timing works I’d be happy to post it from France for you.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    When the situation is back to a little more normal, I go to France 3 or 4 times a year in my car... If timing works I’d be happy to post it from France for you.
    That's very kind of you, many thanks (and I promise high and holy that I'll never speak meanly about the French football team again!) :D

For now I cancelled the potential deal, the seller was very kind in understanding the situation.

Let's hope traveling will be possible rather sooner than later, this is something I'm missing pretty badly in the current circumstances...

Yay! Tax dodging

EDIT: Just in case it's not obvious, I'm joking

Few Christopher Ward watches have been bought from Italy recently during the sales and no extra cost when delivered...confusing

Craftsman
    Are they trying to charge VAT on second hand items now then? I've not dug into details of buying S/H from abroad yet.
    Is there any expiry period for it like they have (used to have) with cars being imported?

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazie! View Post
    Are they trying to charge VAT on second hand items now then? I've not dug into details of buying S/H from abroad yet.
    Is there any expiry period for it like they have (used to have) with cars being imported?
    There aren’t any exceptions for second hand possessions.

Some collectors items like stamps, artworks or items of significant historical importance might attract a lower rate of VAT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 13th January 2021 at 11:07.

Why should S/H be different? It’s a tax on spending.

Craftsman
    am expecting a vintage SEIKO 6306 from the UK. It was stuck in customs for 2 days here in the Netherlands and is now at my local depot.
    Will let you guys know once I have it if VAT was applicable or not

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Why should S/H be different? It’s a tax on spending.
    Because, unlike the UK, lots of countries do not apply a sales/purchase tax of used/secondhand goods. So it’s a worthwhile question to ask in order to clarify the new rules.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooster View Post

That is unfortunately how it is. I've also used the SC every now and then, but now with VAT added it makes most prices too high.

It's also not about if there is VAT on used goods or not, it's about importing the items and you a liable for VAT on all purchases.

Unfortunately, there will be VAT added (for second-hand items as well). Recently shipped a parcel to the Netherlands and the rates applied.

But surely if you are exporting from the UK then there is no UK duty or VAT to pay. It will be your host Country rules that will apply with importing items from a 3rd Country. So Christian in this case it is what Romania would charge you for importing a second hand phone into the Country.

If you are in the UK, buying from elsewhere then you will have to pay UK duty and VAT on all items even second hand. Not that much of an issue if buying new as the supplier with exclude local VAT but in secondhand items that isn’t possible!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Because, unlike the UK, lots of countries do not apply a sales/purchase tax of used/secondhand goods. So it’s a worthwhile question to ask in order to clarify the new rules.
    Well the person asking is apparently in Wales (which admitedly you may not have noticed). He asked if there was now VAT on S/H goods, seems extremely unlikely that it would have been abolished (and suggests he thought there wasn't before).

Last edited by Kingstepper; 13th January 2021 at 11:46.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Unfortunately is seems VAT is due on imports to the UK for items that were VAT rated before now we have left the customs union. This would have been true with or without a trade agreement.
    https://www.sage.com/en-gb/blog/cust...-after-brexit/

For items under £139 (I think) this is collected at source - hence ebay has started adding VAT onto lower cost items purchased outside UK.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 13th January 2021 at 12:17.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Unfortunately is seems VAT is due on imports to the UK for items that were VAT rated before now we have left the customs union. This would have been true with or without a trade agreement.

For items under £139 (I think) this is collected at source - hence ebay has started adding VAT onto lower cost items purchased outside UK.
    Aliexpress also add it on now. I imagine this will produce some reasonable revenue even though it will mostly be nickel and dime stuff.

Well the person asking is apparently in Wales (which admitedly you may not have noticed). He asked if there was now VAT on S/H goods, seems extremely unlikely that it would have been abolished (and suggests he thought there wasn't before).
    I see. Thank you for the clarification. For some reason the version of the forum I can see on the iPad has changed, and I can no longer see details of members location/post count etc.

Bit of a pain, but I guess it might be quite unwieldy or unworkable to try and differentiate every package.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-on-g...-uk-notice-703

Anyone keen on explaining these points below please?

2. The basics
    2.1 Zero rating on exports
    VAT is a tax levied on goods and services consumed in the UK. When goods are exported they are ‘consumed’ outside the UK and to impose VAT on such goods would be contrary to the purpose of the tax. Therefore, the supply of exported goods is zero-rated provided the conditions in this notice are met.

A zero-rated VAT supply is one which is subject to VAT but where the VAT is at 0%.

2.2 Place of supply
    Goods are normally treated as being supplied where they are located at the time of supply and not where the supplier is located.

Goods located:

in Great Britain that are sent to an EU destination should follow the export rules in this Notice

2.12 Exports where there is no taxable supply
    You need not account for VAT if you:

supply and export goods which you are to install outside the UK for your customer (the supply takes place in the country where the goods are installed)
    export goods temporarily for exhibition or processing
    export goods on sale or return, where the goods remain your property until they are sold
    However, you must still hold valid proof of export (see sections 6 and 7) to demonstrate to us how you disposed of the goods

3. Conditions and time limits for zero rating
    3.1 Conditions you need to meet
    You must meet certain conditions before you can zero rate supplies of goods for export. These conditions cover the:

evidence (either official or commercial) you must hold to prove entitlement to zero rating
    time limits in which the goods must be physically exported from the UK
    time limits in which you must obtain evidence of export to support zero rating
    Only exports that comply with these conditions are eligible for zero rating

3.3 Conditions for zero rating direct exports
    This paragraph has the force of law.

A supply of goods sent to a destination outside the UK is liable to the zero rate as a direct export where:

the goods are exported from the UK within the specified time limits (see paragraph 3.5)
    get official or commercial evidence of export as appropriate (see paragraphs 6.2 and 6.3) within the specified time limits
    keep supplementary evidence of the export transaction (see paragraph 6.4)

An accurate value must be given and not excluded or replaced by a lower or higher amount.

If the evidence is found to be unsatisfactory you as the supplier will become liable for the VAT due.

The rest of this paragraph has the force of law.

The evidence you obtain as proof of export, whether official or commercial, or supporting must clearly identify:

the supplier
    the consignor (where different from the supplier)
    the customer
    the goods
    an accurate value
    the export destination, and
    the mode of transport and route of the export movement

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    But surely if you are exporting from the UK then there is no UK duty or VAT to pay. It will be your host Country rules that will apply with importing items from a 3rd Country. So Christian in this case it is what Romania would charge you for importing a second hand phone into the Country.

If you are in the UK, buying from elsewhere then you will have to pay UK duty and VAT on all items even second hand. Not that much of an issue if buying new as the supplier with exclude local VAT but in secondhand items that isn’t possible!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well, the SC being by default a second-hand business, I guess it will become more and more a 'UK only' kind of sales channel...

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=cirotti;5642548]https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-on-g...-uk-notice-703

Anyone keen on explaining these points below please?.................etc /QUOTE]

Surely those are rules for VAT registered businesses, not private individuals.

Craftsman
    The reason I asked is because I don't think I've ever paid VAT on a private s/h purchase. I guess that's because I've never bought s/h from outside the EU though.

If a watch gets bought in the France (French VAT) get's sold privately S/H to UK (UK VAT) gets sold again back privately to France (France VAT x2)?
    Wouldn't it previously have only incurred VAT once on original sale?

It sounds like that will still be the case in NI:
    From a VAT perspective, these movements will continue to be treated like domestic sales and purchases as they are today. This means that, among other things, there won’t be import VAT due on movements.

Master
    If you're setting up a smuggling operation - put my name down for some cheddar, bacon, sausages and pork pies

The reason I asked is because I don't think I've ever paid VAT on a private s/h purchase. I guess that's because I've never bought s/h from outside the EU though.

If a watch gets bought in the France (French VAT) get's sold privately S/H to UK (UK VAT) gets sold again back privately to France (France VAT x2)?
    Wouldn't it previously have only incurred VAT once on original sale?

It sounds like that will still be the case in NI:
    Correct. ( in bold)
    And yes to your second point, before we left the EU, within the EU the item would attract VAT once on the first purchase when new, now it has VAT added each time it crosses EU / non EU borders.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by catflem View Post
    If you're setting up a smuggling operation - put my name down for some cheddar, bacon, sausages and pork pies
    If you're on the continent I could probably give it a try. I have been used to bringing back saucissons, dry cured hams and other charcuterie products (not to mention cheese and quite a few other stuff) for personal consumption and will need to see what can be done exactly after the first 6 months.

[QUOTE=RickS;5642634]
    Quote Originally Posted by cirotti View Post
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-on-g...-uk-notice-703

Anyone keen on explaining these points below please?.................etc /QUOTE]

Surely those are rules for VAT registered businesses, not private individuals.
    Question: a no-vat registered person in UK sells a watch to a no-vat registered person in EU..what happens please?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Correct. ( in bold)
    And yes to your second point, before we left the EU, within the EU the item would attract VAT once on the first purchase when new, now it has VAT added each time it crosses EU / non EU borders.
    Well that's something to remember when buying from the EU then.
    Anyone setting up an intermediary business in NI?

Craftsman
    [QUOTE=cirotti;5642695]
    Quote Originally Posted by RickS View Post

Question: a no-vat registered person in UK sells a watch to a no-vat registered person in EU..what happens please?
    Depends on the value. If it was EU to UK and over £135 then VAT will be charged on import, if under £135 you probably won't pay anything as it's meant to be collected by the seller and won't happen for private sales.
    Probably something similar the other way around but unsure of the value threshold.

Craftsman

The person in the EU pays VAT at the rate in their country, plus, probably, an admin fee to the carrier for processing the package through customs.

Of course parcels may get through without being assessed by customs. However, from now on when buying across customs borders we must account for VAT in our price calculations.

Master
    If you're on the continent I could probably give it a try. I have been used to bringing back saucissons, dry cured hams and other charcuterie products (not to mention cheese and quite a few other stuff) for personal consumption and will need to see what can be done exactly after the first 6 months.
    We stocked up just before Christmas and currently have a freezer full of Cheddar, bacon and sausages that should see us through the next 6 months. I recently bought a 6ft tall freezer to increase our storage capacity because I knew Brexit was going to cause us issues . Noz sometimes has uk style bacon, or there are similar products you can obtain here in NW France when you do run out of the real thing (ie Mimolette instead of Cheddar).

Thanks for the offer to give smuggling a try, but I've already got a couple of avenues of supply to explore after the Brexit fuss settles down. Hopefully they'll sort something out akin to the Faroe isles/ Greenland agreement whereby you can import 10kg of meat or dairy products for personal consumption.

Saint Just - presumably named after the village in Ille et Villaine ?, if so, I'm not a million miles away from there - I'm about 20kms NE of Fougeres

This is an email sent today from Christopher Ward customer service to a recipient in EU:

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your response.

The Free Trade arrangement between the UK and EU means no additional duties will be payable by you.

For all orders delivered to an EU address, these will now be shipped duty paid (DDP) which means you as a customer will not be liable for any further duties, charges or VAT. Christopher Ward is responsible for registering with all the local EU authorities and paying the VAT collected across to them. No duties are payable due to the Free trade are in the process of being concluded between the UK and the EU.

Please let me know if you have any further queries.

Kind Regards,
    Khizra Saleem

Customer Services Advisor

Any thoughts?

Any thoughts?
    As expected.

Quote Originally Posted by catflem View Post

Saint Just - presumably named after the village in Ille et Villaine ?, if so, I'm not a million miles away from there - I'm about 20kms NE of Fougeres
    Funny that. No, not that one, nor the Cornish one. It was a nickname given to me in reference to Louis Antoine de Saint-Just to a fiery debating style in my Uni days (Comité de Salut Public )

Amusingly though, My father was from Brittany and my mother from the Basque Country, and there are 2 villages named Saint-Just nearby each (Saint-Just-Ibarre for SW), the cradle of the family on my father's side is a few kilometres NW of Fougères, not far from the Mont Saint-Michel. But the link is a coincidence.

Oh, and Old Mimolette is a far superior cheese to the best Cheddars I've tried. And they were delicious.
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 13th January 2021 at 17:39.

This is an email sent today from Christopher Ward customer service to a recipient in EU:

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your response.

The Free Trade arrangement between the UK and EU means no additional duties will be payable by you.

For all orders delivered to an EU address, these will now be shipped duty paid (DDP) which means you as a customer will not be liable for any further duties, charges or VAT. Christopher Ward is responsible for registering with all the local EU authorities and paying the VAT collected across to them. No duties are payable due to the Free trade are in the process of being concluded between the UK and the EU.

Please let me know if you have any further queries.

Kind Regards,
    Khizra Saleem

Customer Services Advisor

Any thoughts?
    Looks all good. Buyer in EU, contract DDP (Incoterms), what you see is what you pay.

Prices advertised include VAT, CW registered for VAT in more than one country so include tax in advertised price and collect tax.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Looks all good. Buyer in EU, contract DDP (Incoterms), what you see is what you pay.

Prices advertised include VAT, CW registered for VAT in more than one country so include tax in advertised price and collect tax.

Thanks...I have just read the DDP agreement

Craftsman
    so...watch (purchased on eBay from a private seller) arrived today here in the Neverlands safe & sound... no tax and/or VAT had to be paid

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by COMEX View Post
    so...watch (purchased on eBay from a private seller) arrived today here in the Neverlands safe & sound... no tax and/or VAT had to be paid
    Was it under £139 ?

Was it under £139 ?
    Where's that figure come from?

Blog Entries
    Where's that figure come from?
    My bad memory. There is a threshold for low cost goods where eBay collects VAT at source. I stand to be corrected to the exact amount but it’s in the eBay T&C

Sorry - it’s £135.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/policies...policy?id=4348

My bad memory. There is a threshold for low cost goods where eBay collects VAT at source. I stand to be corrected to the exact amount but it’s in the eBay T&C

Sorry - it’s £135.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/policies...policy?id=4348
    That's from EU/elsewhere to UK. Not sure it's same the other way.

https://www.government.nl/topics/bre...line-purchases
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 14th January 2021 at 17:47.

I received two watches today from Holland and dident have to pay anything :)

Craftsman
    Was it under £139 ?
    nope...> GBP 500

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by COMEX View Post
    nope...> GBP 500
    Ah - I see you are talking about UK -> EU. Could be luck of the draw with this all being new since Jan 1. :-)

Ah - I see you are talking about UK -> EU. Could be luck of the draw with this all being new since Jan 1. :-)
    There’s something like 1,000,000 parcels per day coming in from the EU that now have to be checked and I assume a fair few going the other way. I guess there’s going to be delays and leakage for some time to come.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    There’s something like 1,000,000 parcels per day coming in from the EU that now have to be checked and I assume a fair few going the other way. I guess there’s going to be delays and leakage for some time to come.

Hasn't it always been pretty inconsistent? I remember people buying bike parts from the US back when the £ was so strong against the USD and it was basically pot luck as to whether duty was collected.
    Can only see the % getting through with no checks increasing.