closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Speedmaster winding issue

Speedmaster winding issue

I picked up a new speedmaster moonwatch back in October. Been wearing it today and sat down to wind it this evening (watch it still running). Normally when I wind it there is a point of resistance after a while where it is not possible to wind it any further. I am finding now however that this has not kicked in and the watch winds indefinetly.

Anyone else come across this issue?

Sorry to hear that.

If you can set the time, but it winds interminably it sounds like a mainspring failure.

If you can't set the hands, it's a crown issue.

Either way it's a warranty repair.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Yep, mainspring failure, quite common I believe.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Thanks all

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Mainspring failure is the most likely but there are other problems that could give the same symptoms. I’ve had two examples recently (not speedmasters) with the same symptoms but in each case the mainspring was fine. One had suffered failure of the barrel arbour, probably caused by the owner trying to continue winding when the watch was obviously fully wound. The second was more unusual, the intermediate wheel which is driven by the teeth on the mainspring barrel had failed. This part consists of a wheel and pinion staked together to move as one, but in this case it had become loose.

Why do mainsprings fail? 3 reasons in my view. The spring reaches the end of its fatigue life ( takes many years), faulty manufacture ( usually happens early in its life) or ham- fisted owners. I’ve seen examples of them all.

Interestingly I’ve tried it this morning and it reached it’s tension point as normal. Strange.

There is a slight rattle when shaking the watch but not sure if that is just me being paranoid and something that was always there!

Will keep an eye on it over the coming week and see how it goes. With lockdown I can’t take it in anywhere anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Speedmaster takes approx 50 twists of the crown to fully wind from a stopped position. It isn’t the easiest to wind, it would be better with a longer crown, so compared to some watches it takes a while to wind. I always recommend winding twice/ day, morning and night, that'll keep it in a high state of wind which should give more consistent performance.

Superb watches, just a bit too big for me.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I always recommend winding twice/ day, morning and night, that'll keep it in a high state of wind which should give more consistent performance.
    This is sound advice. Since I've been giving mine two winds daily, and knowing from my timegrapher that resting it overnight with 6 high is the position with least deviation, its timekeeping is much, much more accurate.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Master
    I agree with the above advice on winding twice a day as well if optimum time keeping is what you are looking for. Mine runs at +1 with two winds a day but to be fair it's +3 with only one wind per day. I did ask Omega to regulate it properly not long after I bought it which they have done a good job on.

Craftsman
    I bought a speedmaster last September and it's my first manual wind watch. Some very useful information on this thread. I've been winding it once a day but I shall try twice a day now. Should I be winding it all the way to the point where the crown stops turning or is 50 turns enough?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    It’s a shame that ADs rarely have the facility to regulate watches on site as they did in the old days, there’s often scope for optimisation with a new watch after it’s run for a while. Hard to imagine for younger folks, but back in the 70s/ 80s accurate time was much harder to find, nowadays it’s everywhere and it’s so easy to check the performance of a watch. When I was a youngster the 12 o clock time signal (the pips) was what we used to set the clock by, quartz clocks and watches didn’t exist, a watch that kept time to within 15 secs / day was considered excellent.

Nowadays we all take accurate time sources for granted, and it’s hugely ironic that people will spend big money on a mechanical watch, an item that isn’t very good at its one and only duty!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post
    I bought a speedmaster last September and it's my first manual wind watch. Some very useful information on this thread. I've been winding it once a day but I shall try twice a day now. Should I be winding it all the way to the point where the crown stops turning or is 50 turns enough?

Wind it till it’s fully wound, there’s no reason not to, but when it reaches full wind don’t impart excessive force to the crown.

I have a rough idea of how many twists it takes to wind most of the common movements, 50 is a rough figure for the Speedy. It’s not just the length of the mainspring that influences this, it’s the gearing of the winding wheel, crown wheel and ratchet wheel too. With a hand- wound it’s obvious when it’s fully wound but with an automatic it’s harder to be sure when hand- winding it.

Craftsman
    Thanks Paul.