closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Air fryers

Air fryers

I know TZ is full of wonderful random posts, so let's add air fryers to the mix! I did a search but could not find much.

Has anyone got one? My sister got a Ninja recently and said it's amazing, but apart from cooking chips (note I do love chips) what else can it really be used for? My wife is on a healthy kick so if we can make nice tasting fried food with no oil that's always a good thing.

Costco did have the ninja grill and airfryer at a decent price when I was in yesterday which got me thinking about it again.

They don’t make chips, they make chip shaped roast potatoes. That may or may not be fine, depending on your feelings toward chip shaped roast potatoes, I don’t like them.

Grand Master
    I’ve had two Tefal actifry friers over the years and neither lasted very long! Despite being used sparingly ( once/ twice/ week typically) the first broke after a couple of years. I replaced it with a new uprated version, the handle broke after around 3 years, I replaced it, then the frier itself developed a fault and would cut out, giving an error message. I checked the error code on the Tefal website, it claimed the mains voltage was too hugh and advised me to contact my electricity supplier! At this point I stripped the thing down to look for problems that may cause it to overheat but got nowhere so I reluctantly scrapped it. At over £100 each, with minimal usage, I reckon each batch of chips cost around 60p in depreciation. I don’t know what other brands are like but Tefal seem to have reliability problems, other family members have had similar experience and I definitely wouldn’t buy another. I have reverted back to a £20 deep fat frier that makes far nicer chips!

I liked the chips from the Actifry but they were never quite as crisp as ‘ real’ chips. They take around 25 to cook too, which is a bit long for me.

Here’s a top tip for making nice crispy chips: use Maris Piper spuds if you can get ‘em, boil the chips for a couple of minutes first before frying, and get the oil really hot. Use a conventional deep fat frier with good quality veg oil........forget the air frier!

Master
    Never tried chips in mine. However, it is ace for chicken wings or drumsticks. I can’t do deep fried and it’s near enough to satisfy the odd craving.

Craftsman
    We have a Philips air fryer the XL version. Its fairly decent, better than using the oven for freezer foods e.g. French fries, fish fingers etc. The advantages for us ar, it's quicker to use compared to the oven, it gets to temperature in 30 seconds, and depending on food type cooks it quicker and better compared to the oven. We have a fairly decent (few ovens), but for speed and simplicity the air fryer is better. Also, I believe it's cheaper to use than the oven. We have also used it to quickly get heat up non freezer foods, and works just as well. Hope that helps. Oh we have had ours for a few years and still working well.

Would any of these work on making something like a home made Schnitzel nice and crispy?
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I’ve had two Tefal actifry friers over the years and neither lasted very long! Despite being used sparingly ( once/ twice/ week typically) the first broke after a couple of years. I replaced it with a new uprated version, the handle broke after around 3 years, I replaced it, then the frier itself developed a fault and would cut out, giving an error message. I checked the error code on the Tefal website, it claimed the mains voltage was too hugh and advised me to contact my electricity supplier! At this point I stripped the thing down to look for problems that may cause it to overheat but got nowhere so I reluctantly scrapped it. At over £100 each, with minimal usage, I reckon each batch of chips cost around 60p in depreciation. I don’t know what other brands are like but Tefal seem to have reliability problems, other family members have had similar experience and I definitely wouldn’t buy another. I have reverted back to a £20 deep fat frier that makes far nicer chips!

I liked the chips from the Actifry but they were never quite as crisp as ‘ real’ chips. They take around 25 to cook too, which is a bit long for me.

Here’s a top tip for making nice crispy chips: use Maris Piper spuds if you can get ‘em, boil the chips for a couple of minutes first before frying, and get the oil really hot. Use a conventional deep fat frier with good quality veg oil........forget the air frier!
    I had much different experience so shocked to hear this.

I bought a used Tefal actifry on ebay about 6 years ago and used it often with zero issues.
    Maybe i just got very lucky though or maybe they changed the design.

As for air friers it does depend on quality of food used and chips are ok but i still miss unhealthy chips sometimes.
    I got used to now though.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Would any of these work on making something like a home made Schnitzel nice and crispy?
    In my experience the air fryer was better at making any home made schnitzel crispier than the oven. Probably, the closest to actually using the fryer. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    100%

Master
    We just got a new Instant Pot combined pressure cooker, slow cooker, sous vide and air fryer to replace an older one without the fryer function. It works OK as a fryer but probably not as well as the dedicated fryers. Its an amazing machine though.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’ve got one that we use loads.
    Skinny fries, burgers, chicken breasts etc.. all great.

Going to try battered fish when I get the time.

Craftsman
    i got an air fryer in october just gone and it has literally changed my life, i literally cook
    everything in there, chicken pieces taste like a mixture of grilled and fried chicken. it’s so convenient
    and actually tastes better and is healthy! what is there to think about. i’ve even cooked wagyu steak and it was perfect

Quote Originally Posted by Seadweller75 View Post
    In my experience the air fryer was better at making any home made schnitzel crispier than the oven. Probably, the closest to actually using the fryer. :-)
    That’s because the oven is entirely the wrong way to cook a schnitzel!

Chips should be made with Bintje.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    They make a fry up easy, that’s for sure.

Black pudding, hash browns, sausage, bacon, mushrooms in the air fryer - only leaving beans and eggs to be cooked elsewhere requiring some attention.

Got one about a year ago and love it!

I could all kinds in there. Chicken many different ways. Fish fingers, burgers, sausages, but mainly chicken. I’m not really one for chips but oven one’s turn out better than in the oven!

Edited to add that like has already been said, it heats up and cooks so much quicker than my conventional gas oven.
    Last edited by Matt London; 12th January 2021 at 20:33.

Master
    The wife does the beef joint for our Sunday roast in the Ninja we recently bought. The meat is incredibly soft.

I have a Philips XXL and think it is good. From Aldi’s KFC style chicken to fries, naans etc this is quicker and easier. I would say the taste is better. I would estimate it reduces the cooking time by a third.

Hopefully Raffe is not reading this but I reheat leftover home made pizza (which includes oil in recipe) in the air fryer the next day. A quick four minute blast and it suffices.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Here was this evening’s effort; matchstick fries.

post a picture

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    That’s because the oven is entirely the wrong way to cook a schnitzel!
    Agreed. Made them at the weekend, shallow fried in olive oil and butter. They were delicious.

You can also get a pretty tasty oven chip by follow the tips below, Maris Piper, parboil. Then finish off in a hot over with the fat of your choice. Time wise about 50 minutes peeling to plate.

Got an Actifry, used it at least once a week for probably six years! Never any issues, i wasn’t expecting much but it does a good job and I’d buy another.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Thanks for the comments, I will order the small ninja today. Should keep the wife happy!

I find that the best and simplest way to get perfect chips is pop to the local chippy and buy some, along with a haddock of course.
    F.T.F.A.

We bought one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We use it about twice a week for chicken, battered courgettes, gourmet chips, etc

It quick and simple to use, but more importantly easy to keep clean

Master
    Damn this place, didn’t even know about air fryers and now need to order one. Thinking the small Ninja will be enough for the 2 of us.

Am on a diet but now craving nuggets and chips!!

Assume they cannot manage to do tempura given the nature of how they work? Was confused seeing a recipe for frickles on the Ninja website

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We love ours. Chicken wings, pork belly, kebabs, roasties, and best of all, marinated ribs. Al delicious!

Master
    Damn you Jon, you’re not helping!!

For my reference, what size is yours? Trying to work out food / portions I can manage in the small one.

I am also stuck on size, was going for the small Ninja but not sure it will be big enough. Amazon has a huge range and some well priced around the 5L mark. The ninja do look good but they as with other things you are paying for the name. The large ninja is also huge compared to other designs.

Craftsman
    I bought the Ninja grill & air fryer. It cooks anything great except proper chips, does the thin french fry’s ok.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Just ordered the 160 as dimensions seemed similar to the smaller one externally, but with greater capacity....unless they are lying!

Master
    Anyone have experience of this microwave/air fryer? I've got limited space in my kitchen and would love an air fryer, so thinking this might be a good compromise.

https://www.sageappliances.com/uk/en...es/bmo870.html

Craftsman
    I have the Ninja with dual trays and it's great.

I cooked oven chips tonight on the Max Crisp option and the difference is almost unnoticeable from the real thing (ok not true but these are healthier and crispy chunky chips are nice).

Used it for roast potatoes (come out browned and crisp) and croquettes.

Just a quick shake of the bowl every 5 mins or so, whilst you deal with the food cooking elsewhere.

It has dual fryers so you can coordinate and put different foods in different fryers, either matching times and cooking styles or synchronizing foods.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by nick67 View Post
    We bought one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We use it about twice a week for chicken, battered courgettes, gourmet chips, etc

It quick and simple to use, but more importantly easy to keep clean
    I've got this one and think it's great, quick warm up, cooks quick.
    Inner basket, easy clean.
    We use it much more than we thought, wife was unsure to start with, but now loves it as it's so handy and saves heating up a big oven so often.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Just ordered the 160 as dimensions seemed similar to the smaller one externally, but with greater capacity....unless they are lying!
    I went for the same home, happy air frying!

Master
    spooky thread timing as a friend in Holland who is a great cook was showing off her home made kfc done in an air fryer couple of days ago and it looked fantastic.....

so along with home made pizza machine, slow cooker and now air fryer; what other stuff that I didn't realise I needed are you lot going to suggest next?

Damn you Jon, you’re not helping!!

For my reference, what size is yours? Trying to work out food / portions I can manage in the small one.

I think it is 4.5 litres??? I’m away at the moment so can’t check brand and dims.

I see you have took the plunge. Happy air frying

We've had 2 Actifrys pack up on us then we got the Breville Halo whihc is much better. We got an air fryer because the smell of hot cooking oil make my wife nauseous and I do like my chips. It does chunky frozen chips well and there's no need for oil, the residual oil on frozen chips is sufficient. I like the way it does sausage, chuck a few in with the chips and cook them together.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    Can’t wait for mine to arrive now!

These work really well in the airfryer as they are precoated also means you can add other food without the need for oil

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/...tro-chips-700g

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by westberks View Post
    spooky thread timing as a friend in Holland who is a great cook was showing off her home made kfc done in an air fryer couple of days ago and it looked fantastic.....

so along with home made pizza machine, slow cooker and now air fryer; what other stuff that I didn't realise I needed are you lot going to suggest next?

I couldn't believe it was possible to make "fried chicken" in an airfryer, till a friend showed us how to! Unbelievable, and tasted good too, without the excessive oil. The trick is to spray oil on the coated sides, air fry, turn over, spray oil and air fry..

May try the following this weekend:

https://www.fromvalerieskitchen.com/...fried-chicken/

Kudos to the OP for staring this thread. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Chips should be made with Bintje.
    That is already 80% of the input required for good chips pommes frites.

If you then blanch them for three minutes before sticking them into the air fryer you will be at 100%.

Master
    Well mine just arrived, a little taller than expected be cupboard shelf height but got that sorted while my wife was at work.

Looking forward to having a play with it, always been fond of Awesome Blossom Onions, so no doubt one of those will be high on the agenda.

I also have chicken wings arriving with my food delivery tonight, so would be a shame not to give those a whirl in it.

Well mine just arrived, a little taller than expected be cupboard shelf height but got that sorted while my wife was at work.

Looking forward to having a play with it, always been fond of Awesome Blossom Onions, so no doubt one of those will be high on the agenda.

I also have chicken wings arriving with my food delivery tonight, so would be a shame not to give those a whirl in it.

I just got a text saying due to the snow my delivery is delayed until tomorrow :-(

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    I just got a text saying due to the snow my delivery is delayed until tomorrow :-(
    Go to bed early, will arrive sooner!

I can’t wait to try Sweet & Sour pork HK style, Kung Pao and Crispy Beef to replicate our local.

Already looking at extra racks to go in & increase cooking capacity.

Oh and of course CHIPS!! Need to make room in the freezer to try the Triple Cooked ones, we always default to French Fries as thick chips to me are usually the work of the devil.

Go to bed early, will arrive sooner!

I can’t wait to try Sweet & Sour pork HK style, Kung Pao and Crispy Beef to replicate our local.

Already looking at extra racks to go in & increase cooking capacity.

Oh and of course CHIPS!! Need to make room in the freezer to try the Triple Cooked ones, we always default to French Fries as thick chips to me are usually the work of the devil.

Out of curiosity, I did buy those triple cooked McCains and tried them in the air fryer this afternoon. They are very very good.
    I’m still getting used to mine but the chicken wings I made were exceptional. Sausages are another food that comes out perfectly.
    I’m still getting to grips with the Ooni after the pizza thread on here and now this .

Feel free to post any good cooking tips or recipes for nice food!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Out of curiosity, I did buy those triple cooked McCains and tried them in the air fryer this afternoon. They are very very good.
    I’m still getting used to mine but the chicken wings I made were exceptional. Sausages are another food that comes out perfectly.
    I’m still getting to grips with the Ooni after the pizza thread on here and now this .
    Am looking forward to trying wings at the weekend.

I am yet to cook a bad meal from Nagi's recipes here: https://www.recipetineats.com

Especially the crispy wings, and her chow Mein sauce is the best I have made at home ever.

Well worth a go, will be trying her pork HK style recipe in the fryer as soon as I get the chance!

Had not thought of sausages in it, will need to give that a go also.

Strangely in the recipe book it comes with the 'ploughman's sandwich' just sounded a weird thing to cook in it!

Apprentice
    Just so I understand, the Ninja is an air fryer but a more versatile one?

Wife and I been discussing one (we’re at that age) but they take up a lot of space.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Scruff View Post
    Just so I understand, the Ninja is an air fryer but a more versatile one?

Wife and I been discussing one (we’re at that age) but they take up a lot of space.
    Do not think it is any more versatile to be honest.

Just about fitted on the top shelf of the under worktop cupboards, not a pretty thing to have sitting out IMHO.

Master
    Do not think it is any more versatile to be honest.

Just about fitted on the top shelf of the under worktop cupboards, not a pretty thing to have sitting out IMHO.
    The wife begs to differ. We have this one and it does everything from slow cooking, steaming, pressure cooking and air frying.

https://ninjakitchen.co.uk/product/n...E&gclsrc=aw.ds