closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Image for vintage car guys to identify

Image for vintage car guys to identify

Member from Australia found this while going through some old photographs on another forum

Any clue?

Thanks

DON

I'm not sure what the car is (possibly a home-made special?), but the bonnet mascot could be Buick with a Boyce Motometer between the wings.
    Last edited by jwg663; 17th January 2024 at 16:30.
    ______

​Jim.

Actually seems to be a Citroen radiator housing & along similar lines to this 1922 5CV -

(Image from https://www.benlevy.com/4images/img16082.htm)
    ______

​Jim.

Apologies for yet another post but this has sent me down a very pleasant rabbit-hole on a cold afternoon.

It appears that the first car to be driven around the coastline of Australia was a 1925 Citroen 5CV. It's part of the Ron Westwood collection & is in the National Museum of Australia. It's obviously not the same car as you posted, of course!

http://museumex.maas.museum/oai/nma/3039.html

______

​Jim.

It's a Peugeot 172 radiator grille, so a bit of digging and it turns out it's a 172 R Torpedo Gran Sport.

Quote Originally Posted by adigra View Post
    It's a Peugeot 172 radiator grille, so a bit of digging and it turns out it's a 172 R Torpedo Gran Sport.
    Grand sport grill or car?

Doesn't match images with the long tail. That length would have been seen in the image

Grills of that design seem to be about the norm for the time period. Lot of cars copied each other and many used the same shape

Almost matches the Cit except for the seat back area and window. Fenders almost, but not as flared

Possibly a frankencar with parts from all over. After war recreation

https://www.galerie-roger-viollet.fr...315-1692224066

This is the closest match I found, but it's very close. It's a race car with those wheels, and based on the 172, so the rest of the body would've probably been unique and inspired by GP cars of the era.
    Last edited by adigra; 18th January 2024 at 10:20.

Quote Originally Posted by adigra View Post
    https://www.galerie-roger-viollet.fr...315-1692224066

This is the closest match I found, but it's very close. It's a race car with those wheels, and based on the 172, so the rest of the body would've probably been unique and inspired by GP cars of the era.
    That is 90% Maybe some minor variations as the windshield still different and seat back almost close
    Image I posted has a running board. Your image has a step on the side

I think it's the same model with some slight mods

Thanks

DON

The thing with vintage cars is they didn't always look the same when new. The likes of Rolls-Royce, Bugatti and so on would supply the rolling chassis with bodywork (not necessarily with wings) up to the scuttle (and not necessarily including the windscreen) to coachbuilders, who would order the car after taking a commission from a customer. Smaller and cheaper cars came out of the factory fully formed but the likes of MG took the Morris Minor as the basis for the M-Type Midget with the car supplied by Morris with no bodywork or interior (in much the same way the 1950s-on Sprite and Midget were based on the Austin A30). Cars were licensed by foreign companies, the Austin Seven was licensed to what is now one of the most popular German car manufacturers, Jaguar's first four-wheel car was the SS Swallow, a licensed Austin Seven. The Jeep may not have helped win the war had the company that made it not licensed the Seven a few years prior. They didn't all look the same as the Seven though.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DONGinsler View Post
    Member from Australia found this while going through some old photographs on another forum

Any clue?

Thanks

DON

I love those solid aka disc wheels. Way ahead of their time in terms of aerodynamics.