closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Air fryers

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    Seeing this encouraged me to take the plunge and buy one today, looking forward to using it.
    Pleased to have been of assistance! It's good fun trying stuff in them. I've got a pork fillet to cut open, spice up and roll before sticking it in the Cosori in the next day or two. Watch this space . . .
    F.T.F.A.

Well, the pork fillet was sliced open, rubbed with Moroccan spices, rolled and tied. Cooked in the Cosori then rested in foil while the chips cooked.
    Add some Eridanous aubergines from Lidl and . . .

Yum!
    F.T.F.A.

Had mine less than a week thanks to you (and my kids saying we should have one) and i'm loving it, how did we manage without one ? :)

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    I give you . . .

[U][I]The Air Fryer Toastie.

Et voilà . . .

Yum!

What setting/temp and time did you use for this?

Quote Originally Posted by freeloader View Post
    What setting/temp and time did you use for this?
    I gave it 4mins on 180C to see how it would do, then another 2mins same temp and same side up. Looked ok so turned over then 5mins at 190C. This was Lidl crusty sourdough rye. Always best I find to sneak up on something new!
    F.T.F.A.

Well that's the diet ruined for today 😁

Master
    Mrs Drd has purchased a Ninja 15 in 1 pressure cooking air frying mini Henry hoover look a like. She's used it every day since it arrived and I'm beginning to wonder if the warranty on the beeping it makes will be sufficient. I've had nothing from it yet as she's vegan and I'm not, so my use might be sneaky when she's out

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Mrs Drd has purchased a Ninja 15 in 1 pressure cooking air frying mini Henry hoover look a like. She's used it every day since it arrived and I'm beginning to wonder if the warranty on the beeping it makes will be sufficient. I've had nothing from it yet as she's vegan and I'm not, so my use might be sneaky when she's out
    What is she using it for, and what mode?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    What is she using it for, and what mode?
    Seemingly everything and every mode my comment about the beeping was flippancy on my part in relation to the frequency of use each evening, plus the hissing sound on releasing pressure sounds like you're on a roller coaster just before it sets off! I suspect I'll be tutted at if I use the oven for anything that could be done in a flash in the ' mini Henry'.

Master
    If I could turn the ba-deep noise off every time I put the basket back in, I would be so happy.

Only thing I hate about it.

May get the screwdrivers out and remove that part.

Seemingly everything and every mode my comment about the beeping was flippancy on my part in relation to the frequency of use each evening, plus the hissing sound on releasing pressure sounds like you're on a roller coaster just before it sets off! I suspect I'll be tutted at if I use the oven for anything that could be done in a flash in the ' mini Henry'.
    I was just asking what sort of food she was cooking in it if in use every day.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I was just asking what sort of food she was cooking in it if in use every day.
    Ah, we're only a few days in but so far roasted chickpeas, marinaded tempeh, winter vegetable soup, vegetable curry, pressure cooked barley, sweet potato and potato wedges, peppers, vegan kiev balls, some veg steaming and toasting nuts/seeds. Think we're on day 4.
    Last edited by deepreddave; 27th January 2023 at 22:24.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    May get the screwdrivers out and remove that part.
    I was going to ask for instructions if you were successful but apparently it's 'a stupid idea'.

Master
    I was going to ask for instructions if you were successful but apparently it's 'a stupid idea'.
    It is an awful noise, and when you keep checking the basket as they cook quickly makes is a regular one!

Am going to proceed with an investigation.

Craftsman
    Lots of Cosori, including mine are being recalled.

https://recall.cosori.com/country-sel

Also an an article in the daily mail

Did a toastie earlier in mine, tuna, mayo and blue stilton with a grind or two of black pepper . . .

F.T.F.A.

Just caved in to the wife’s requests for one of these and ordered one from Argos to collect right away.

What shall we try for the first meal?

Chips in one side and nuggets in the other?

https://ninjakitchen.co.uk/product/n...0uk-zidAF300UK

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    Just caved in to the wife’s requests for one of these and ordered one from Argos to collect right away.

What shall we try for the first meal?

Chips in one side and nuggets in the other?

https://ninjakitchen.co.uk/product/n...0uk-zidAF300UK

Chicken thighs with a spicy rub/coating on, and potato wedges on the other side. bung the wedges in a bowl, dust with a different rub, and rumble about in some olive oil - ready for the fryer.

Very impressed, as is the bread knife.

Chicken goujons and potato wedges done. Both were spot on and much crispier than the oven does them.

It must have used less electricity too as it has almost no heat up time compared to the 10-15 mins the oven is on full chat before anything goes in. The elec saving is not a reason we bought one; the primary reason is that we only have a single oven and we struggle to do a roast when the families come over for lunch.

Let’s see how the poussin goes that I bought today.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    Very impressed, as is the bread knife.

Chicken goujons and potato wedges done. Both were spot on and much crispier than the oven does them.

It must have used less electricity too as it has almost no heat up time compared to the 10-15 mins the oven is on full chat before anything goes in. The elec saving is not a reason we bought one; the primary reason is that we only have a single oven and we struggle to do a roast when the families come over for lunch.

Let’s see how the poussin goes that I bought today.
    Sounds nice :) when doing a bird in the air fryer start with the bird upside down to stop her breast drying out. Guaranteed eating pleasure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheap white bread is best for toasties in an AF, IMHO. The crust on sourdough or anything with an already firm crust goes too hard for my taste. Lidl's own thick white toastie loaf is perfect for me, and just as good at 79p as Warburton's version which is £1.40 now. I tried buttering both sides of the slices as most instructions I looked at suggested, but it's messy and gives no benefit, I just butter the insides. I've settled on 8mins per side at 190˚C, turned over at half way, for this thickness of bread. This produces toasties that are evenly browned and hot all the way through with well melted cheese. A couple of cocktail sticks angled in stops the bread from sliding apart when the fan blows the hot and work well for lifting the toatie out. I sit the toastie on cooking parchment on top of the trivet as it stops any mess. DON'T put a liner in without food on top if preheating, it can blow up into the element. A recent cheese and tomato, and corned beef, onion and cheese.

Last edited by magirus; 2nd April 2023 at 09:36.
    F.T.F.A.

Tempted to go BIG and upgrade to an Instant Pot 8.5l air fryer with the double drawer option. There’s only the two of us but there’s been a few times when our Cosori 5.7l runs out of space.
    https://www.johnlewis.com/instant-po...ack/p109575915

Cheap white bread is best for toasties in an AF, IMHO. The crust on sourdough or anything with an already firm crust goes too hard for my taste. Lidl's own thick white toastie loaf is perfect for me, and just as good at 79p as Warburton's version which is £1.40 now. I tried buttering both sides of the slices as most instructions I looked at suggested, but it's messy and gives no benefit, I just butter the insides. I've settled on 8mins per side at 190˚C, turned over at half way, for this thickness of bread. This produces toasties that are evenly browned and hot all the way through with well melted cheese. A couple of cocktail sticks angled in stops the bread from sliding apart when the fan blows the hot and work well for lifting the toatie out. I sit the toastie on cooking parchment on top of the trivet as it stops any mess. DON'T put a liner in without food on top if preheating, it can blow up into the element. A recent cheese and tomato, and corned beef, onion and cheese.

That looks great Bob, must try that... thanks for the recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    Tempted to go BIG and upgrade to an Instant Pot 8.5l air fryer with the double drawer option. There’s only the two of us but there’s been a few times when our Cosori 5.7l runs out of space.
    https://www.johnlewis.com/instant-po...ack/p109575915
    We use our 4L a lot and it does what we need for the two of us but I bought another identical for when we have family and need extra capacity :)

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    That looks great Bob, must try that... thanks for the recipe.
    My pleasure Rod. My latest version is the bread buttered as before, Lidl pre-sliced mature cheddar on one slice of bread topped with sliced tomato, freshly ground black pepper on that, then on the other buttered bread a good slather of Marmite. Assemble as before, and I've reduced the cooking time from 8mins to 6mins per side at 190°C. Yum!
    F.T.F.A.

The Cosori I've been using is now reduced to £79.99, £20 less than I paid. However after using it a lot for 4 months it's been worth every penny and even better value now.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/COSORI-Onet..._rp_0_1_t&th=1
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    We bought this one about six months ago. Can’t go wrong at the price.

https://www.costco.co.uk/Appliances/...r-Fryer/p/6487

The Cosori I've been using is now reduced to £79.99, £20 less than I paid. However after using it a lot for 4 months it's been worth every penny and even better value now.
    I have that one too, and continue to be impressed with it. While initially sceptical as to how much use it would get, I found myself last week, ordering another batch of AF parchment paper liners I use to reduce the amount of cleaning. These come in batches of 50 so that's at least 50 meals since Xmas. Chicken and chips is my go-to in it, as well as heating / toasting rolls. All in all, it's a super kitchen device.

Air fryers

Just made some ribs with homemade sauce for lunch.

(Cosori 5.5L)

Last edited by Jon Kenney; 9th May 2023 at 11:54.

Master
    Well I'm a bit late to this party (not unusual for me) and Mrs. Beanie has decided that she wants one, specifically the Ninja Foodi.
    Can someone briefly bullet point the pros/cons of the 2 drawer air fryer vs the 15 in 1 pressure cooker type.
    I'm told she wants to do "all sorts" in it.
    TIA

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    Well I'm a bit late to this party (not unusual for me) and Mrs. Beanie has decided that she wants one, specifically the Ninja Foodi.
    Can someone briefly bullet point the pros/cons of the 2 drawer air fryer vs the 15 in 1 pressure cooker type.
    I'm told she wants to do "all sorts" in it.
    TIA
    If I was going again, I'd get a large single drawer until / oven vs the 2 drawer, the increased space would make it more usable I think for bigger cuts.

15 in 1 gets good reviews, but we are giving ours to my sis in law, as just prefer cooking vs using a gadget that I don't get enjoyment from using.

Going back to ovens, pans & griddles for me as cooking from scratch and air fryer aren't very Venn diagram for me.

Edit - but Jon's ribs do tempt me to try again for quick ones vs the BGE

Master
    Blog Entries
    I use a Morphy Richards with one element and 2 drawers but have it permanently set as one large. I've transitioned to doing more cooking with it than the oven, and will be using it a lot over Christmas.

For even greater speed and cost benefits I've started to combine it with the microwave to internally then externally cooking items like roast potatoes, rather than par boiling them.

I bought it with scepticism but if it broke I'd get another in a heartbeat.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Just made some ribs with homemade sauce for lunch.

(Cosori 5.5L)

Let's have that sauce recipe and how did you cook them, unless it's a 'planet terror' style secret 😜🤤

Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    Let's have that sauce recipe and how did you cook them, unless it's a 'planet terror' style secret 😜🤤
    Hey Peter. There’s no actual recipe as it changes every time.

This one would have been something simple like -

Ketchup
    Brown sauce
    Honey
    English mustard
    Sriracha
    Sesame oil

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Peel View Post
    Top tip.

When peeling spuds, keep the peelings…

It's changed my life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Have you tried citrus?
    You couldn't make it up
    Last edited by learningtofly; 19th December 2023 at 12:13.

I am the Private Dobermann to TZ's Sergeant Bilko. "Aw, Sarge, don't take all my money".

To add to the long list of items I didn't realise I needed until TZ told me I do is this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CKLMQM...p_imgToDp&th=1

It did seem like a good deal when compared to eBay listings for the same item.

If I don't take to it I will of course be seeking recompense from the Forum by way of a crowd-funded reimbursement.

Watch this space.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Hey Peter. There’s no actual recipe as it changes every time.

This one would have been something simple like -

Ketchup
    Brown sauce
    Honey
    English mustard
    Sriracha
    Sesame oil
    yeah, you can throw in just about anything into a BBQ sauce, and not be disappointed.

A test with the finger before basting/marinading to check.

Journeyman
    Salivating over this. Very tempted to purchase

Master
    We use our Cosori one all the time since getting one. Really handy for quickly doing things rather than putting an oven on. I'd still get the one large drawer type as you can't get that much in them to start with. Anything that is multiple items it makes more sense to use the oven still. I'd definitely get another if it conked out. Also we luckily have a big pan draw to hide it out the way when not in use.

My Mrs got a Tower double drawer air fryer using her nectar points so it was pretty much free.

Although I was a bit sceptical she has used it for all sorts and it certainly saves on power without having to preheat the oven.

She uses those silicon bag things inside to save on the cleaning and she's really getting the timings down now.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    I don't know why I bother. Mrs. Beanie just ordered the one she wanted all along, but thanks anyway.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    We use our Cosori one all the time since getting one. Really handy for quickly doing things rather than putting an oven on. I'd still get the one large drawer type as you can't get that much in them to start with. Anything that is multiple items it makes more sense to use the oven still. I'd definitely get another if it conked out. Also we luckily have a big pan draw to hide it out the way when not in use.
    We got a cosori £50 on black Friday. Looked around and nearly went for the big two draw ninja but glad we didn't. Like you say if you doing more than what can fit in this then might as well use the oven.

I do think these things are over hyped though.There good but not amazing like everyone was banging on.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    You couldn't make it up
    And why not?

Master
    Upgraded our Cosori to the double drawer Ninja but I do miss the chip button and bleep for shaking half way through on the Cosori.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    And why not?
    Did you not clock his user name?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Anyone planning to tackle Christmas dinner with the air fryer? I'm tempted as we always cook the bird today and tomorrow is all about the reheat and veg.

Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    Anyone planning to tackle Christmas dinner with the air fryer? I'm tempted as we always cook the bird today and tomorrow is all about the reheat and veg.
    Genuine question how'd you manage not to dry the bird out doing it this way? I like to think I´ve become pretty handy at keeping the turkey moist*, bi annual practice see, Thanksgiving and Christmas...my ´secrets´ fill the cavity with lemons, use foil part way through cooking on the portions most likely to take too much heat and a very loooong rest before serving...the meat dropped off the bone at Thanksgiving this year...but a dual stage cook or cook -reheat sounds like a recipe for planks not slices of turkey, or am I missing something?

*Oh and a good quality fresh bird is always the best start.
    Last edited by Passenger; 24th December 2023 at 10:35.

Probably the only thing in a turkey dinner that might do well in an air-fryer - is roast root veg, and even that only if the amount isn’t too great. Would do them for 2 people - i reckon.

other than that, you have the oven on anyway - just use that.

We’re very happy with the InstantPot 8.5L Versa. The reasons I went for that were the large capacity single oven or the optional to divide into 2 separate cooking zones. We’ve only used the AirFry and Reheat settings but it can also Roast, Bake, Grill and Dehydrate apparently, the OH prefers to use the main oven for a roast but she's said she’ll give it a go in the new year, only gripe I had with it was the lack of a decent recipe book with proper timing and settings. I downloaded the app but just prefer an old fashioned book.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Genuine question how'd you manage not to dry the bird out doing it this way? I like to think I´ve become pretty handy at keeping the turkey moist*, bi annual practice see, Thanksgiving and Christmas...my ´secrets´ fill the cavity with lemons, use foil part way through cooking on the portions most likely to take too much heat and a very loooong rest before serving...the meat dropped off the bone at Thanksgiving this year...but a dual stage cook or cook -reheat sounds like a recipe for planks not slices of turkey, or am I missing something?

*Oh and a good quality fresh bird is always the best start.
    The Mrs does the same with lemons and Tangerines stuffed inside and then packing butter under the skin.
    Stays really moist.