closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I be annoyed? Ignore if you don't like Rolex content - but may apply to others

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by darko View Post
    Id call him/ her and speak to them directly. Emails can sometimes miss the mark wildly IMO, coming across the wrong way...and they also have the time to formulate a weasel word response.

I would simply enquire as to why they believe it is right to interfere in the standard supplied, watch specific packaging from the OEM. It even has your watch ser no. it!

We all know they didnt go in the bin and will likely find there way into the aftermarket which also shows them in a very bad light.
    You are making allegations which does not show you you in a very good light at all.

The simple fact is if you are the sort of person who frets about a little plastic tag then you should not be wearing a Rolex in the first place. What's the next thing you will fret over, scratching the watch, losing it, can you wear it in the shower, getting mugged etc etc. You should wear the watch whereas for some, the watch wears them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    You are making allegations which does not show you you in a very good light at all.

The simple fact is if you are the sort of person who frets about a little plastic tag then you should not be wearing a Rolex in the first place. What's the next thing you will fret over, scratching the watch, losing it, can you wear it in the shower, getting mugged etc etc. You should wear the watch whereas for some, the watch wears them.

Behave Its common knowledge how the game works and this is the thin end of that wedge.

The fact remains that the AD has removed, what some consider, an intrinsic part of the full set as supplied by the oem.

See my initial response. I dont care. I buy a watch for the watch but I expect what I am due and if that doesnt turn out to be the case, a quick discussion with them could clear it up.

My question is why? Where do they see the value in doing this, other than annoying the wis purchaser, limiting the secondhand (flipper) value or because they retain the perceived value of that part.

A complete set is the watch with all bracelet links, warranty cards, booklet and the box. And things like anchor when they were including those.
    You are not ‘sold’ the tag, you are sold the watch. There is no stipulation anywhere that everything that comes has to be given to the buyer. The watch comes in the coffin which is rarely given out. If you bought directly from the factory, you can claim you are entitled to everything that watch was sent out with from the factory. Anyway, it is simple. If not happy- one should not buy or just return the watch.
    If the buying experience is unpleasant, I would not blame the AD. It is the ridiculous expectations that spoil the experience. It is really sad to see grown man crying over a hang tag. The ‘full set’ BS is just that-BS.

This is just my opinion. Obviously other opinions are available.Frankly if I was selling a watch and the buyer was hung up on the hang tag, I would politely tell him to look elsewhere.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 12th January 2021 at 21:15.

Blog Entries

Lightbulb

Thanks for all the opinions. I honestly thought the swing tag was part of a complete set as I have had them for every new Rolex I have bought recently.

Seems they are “nice to have” items so I won’t fret (either for ownership or as regards sale).

I always find it useful to tap into the hive mind that is TZ to get a perspective.

Martyn.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Thanks for all the opinions. I honestly thought the swing tag was part of a complete set as I have had them for every new Rolex I have bought recently.

Seems they are “nice to have” items so I won’t fret (either for ownership or as regards sale).

I always find it useful to tap into the hive mind that is TZ to get a perspective.

Martyn.
    Of course it would be nice to have, but you survived 2020, celebrate with a momento, memorialise your success and buy a watch you want with an interesting back story.

Master

Martyn.
    If assigning value I would say 80% of the difference between a full set and loose watch is the original paper/card, 5-10% for the hang tag with the serial on it, and 10-15% for everything else (since can purchase everything else from eBay). So you still did extremely well paying retail anyway for your watch in my opinion.

When I purchased another advertised Full Set a few years back (which it was not), when I turned my back, the dealer even cheekily took a link away from the box and I had to ask for it back. So i feel its not out of the question the AD would pocket the serial tag since there is monetary value to everything Rolex whether like it or not, even something as insignificant as a bezel protector has value and can be sold.

Does the AD have a letter box?

Craftsman
    It might be interesting to know what the purpose of the swing tag is actually for and why do Rolex include it in the package if it is not intended to be delivered with the watch? Any ADs out there want to enlighten us?

Inconsistency between different ADs attitudes and policy is probably the biggest bugbear here

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I'm with you Martyn - buy it BNIB, it should have all the stuff.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Metalic Mud View Post
    Of course they dont end up in the bin.

There either sold or gifted to the reselling dealers, so they can make up a full set.
    Or sold on eBay.
    Doesnt the hang tag have serial number on it?

If so, how can it make up another full set?

If not, the AD or OP can source another if really wanted (from eBay if necessary).

Master
    That's terrible! Watch must be hard to njo now. I help you out by taking it from you at a much reduced price ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist. Enjoy the watch, its lovely, and try to forget about a missing little bit of string and plastic.

Seems they are nice to have items so I wont fret (either for ownership or as regards sale).

Martyn.
    Exactly. For many 2020 has been a horrendous year so in the scheme of things, one to let go.
    Enjoy your watch.

When I bought my first Rolex (from a Goldsmiths) I had it resized on collection and only later realised they'd 'forgotten' to give me back the spare links. Of course when I rang up they told me there was nothing they could do.

As much as I would have the watch straight on my wrist and wearing it, I'm very much in the camp of making sure an AD provides everything that should come with a watch. If the tag is long gone at least the dealer can supply the outer card for the box. Shouldn't be too much hassle for them.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    When I bought my first Rolex (from a Goldsmiths) I had it resized on collection and only later realised they'd 'forgotten' to give me back the spare links. Of course when I rang up they told me there was nothing they could do.
    Ridiculous! I can understand there being some debate about the plastic tags, but surely them not supplying a full set of links is bordering on theft! They are selling you a watch with a full bracelet, but thieving back the spare links! (OK, a bit harsh but this would really annoy me if they tried this when I had just spent 1000s on a watch)

As much as I would have the watch straight on my wrist and wearing it, I'm very much in the camp of making sure an AD provides everything that should come with a watch. If the tag is long gone at least the dealer can supply the outer card for the box. Shouldn't be too much hassle for them.
    wow that's ridiculous... whilst I also think having a tag or not won't really affect my view on if a watch has "full set", missing a few links surely does o.o

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I doubt you'd lose an onward sale over a hang-tag tbh and if you did its possibly the type of sale that its a relief not to have to deal with.
    I think that puts it perfectly.

I am a real fusspot (in consequence most of my watches look unworn). But despite owning several Rolexes I have no idea whether there's a hang-tag in any of their boxes. So I don't think one need be either a fusspot ("if a staple is missing from the booklet name and shame the AD, you've been swindled on re-sale by thousands...") or a non-fusspot ("wear it straight out of the AD and onto the building site, pausing only to lob the peripherals into the nearest bin you wuss"). One can be a watch-fusspot and really not give a fig about the hang-tag. In case anyone's existentially confused ...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Ridiculous! I can understand there being some debate about the plastic tags, but surely them not supplying a full set of links is bordering on theft!
    Absolutely - they're not analogous at all.

Master

Should I be annoyed? Ignore if you don't like Rolex content - but may apply to others

But in some ways the link can be repurchased from Rolex Service Centre afterwards at 50. The original serial sales tag cannot, unless you find your exact one floating on eBay! But agree if a new watch should have 13 links, then dealer taking a link away is stealing (Watchfinder!).

Also goes to show one mans full set is another box and papers, and anothers complete set is a collector set! Usually best just to it list out completely if planning to sell, which TZUK SC posts 99% does.

And for some reason its mainly just a Rolex sports thing, dont know why (here come the haters...)
    Last edited by ac11111; 13th January 2021 at 13:05.

Martyn, you made the right decision. Nothing to lose sleep over.
    If it is any consolation there are plenty here to get annoyed on your behalf by proxy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    If it is any consolation there are plenty here to get annoyed on your behalf by proxy.
    Totally agree, this subject would never have been thought about before the invention of social media.

Craftsman
    Appreciate its annoying and the same happened to me on my last watch from the same group, but at this moment Id just be pleased to get my hands on one at RRP!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I the old days when you bought a Rollie you were expected to chuck out the box padding/watch support and use for cigarettes.

Modern buyers would have forty fits!

Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

A hang tag is exactly the kind of the that makes a full set.
    Id be demanding the whole package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should you be annoyed?

No its just a bit of plastic.

But I dont really think you are annoyed.

Mind you we can have a laugh at some of the responses at the next TZ Virtual GTG.😀

I bought my first Rolex from an AD last year. (WoS)
    I was given the outer box and both tags.
    I think the only reason I was aware that these were important was from reading watch forums.
    So are people victims of their own pedantic perfectionism?

Quote Originally Posted by tommyzzj View Post
    wow that's ridiculous... whilst I also think having a tag or not won't really affect my view on if a watch has "full set", missing a few links surely does o.o
    It was before I joined this place and the watch is long gone.

My point was more to do with making sure dealers understand they need to give this stuff to the customer. If enough people complain about missing stuff then perhaps they'll make sure they give customers the full sets.

When I bought my current Rolex the salesman tried to give it to me in the most battered and tatty box I assume he could find. I found that really odd as I'd spent 5.6k or so on a watch. Small things but I don't remember what the salesman looked like, or his name, but I remember what the tatty box looked like!
    "A man of little significance"

100% non issue Martyn.

Craftsman
    A late entry - in your shoes I think Id like to have the bits and bobs to go with, the sleeve, the tag et al. But.... I buy my watches to wear them and while it might be an annoyance for a moment or two, I think thats all it would be.

From your posts I get the impression you buy yours to wear (though your tastes may shift) and so I dont imagine youll lose any sleep over it.

Not something that would bother me, but I appreciate it might others
    Last edited by Halitosis; 15th January 2021 at 20:42.

...or a non-fusspot ("wear it straight out of the AD and onto the building site, pausing only to lob the peripherals into the nearest bin you wuss")
    I must say that this made me chuckle.

Also enjoyed that old Rolex box instruction card that directed you to put yer fags in the box once you'd got the watch on your wrist!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Picked up a 114060 December 2019 and the AD withheld the hang tag saying that they used them for stock keeping. The outer box sleeve was missing also but I did pick one up at a later date from them. Still cant understand the hang tag bit but at the time of the pick up I wasnt going to let it spoil the moment.

M

- - - Updated - - -

Picked up a 114060 December 2019 and the AD withheld the hang tag saying that they used them for stock keeping. The outer box sleeve was missing also but I did pick one up at a later date from them. Still cant understand the hang tag bit but at the time of the pick up I wasnt going to let it spoil the moment.

M

- - - Updated - - -

M

- - - Updated - - -

M