closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I be annoyed? Ignore if you don't like Rolex content - but may apply to others

Blog Entries

Angry Should I be annoyed? Ignore if you don't like Rolex content - but may apply to others

I was lucky enough to get a 124060 from my AD based in London at the end of last year. But because of Covid I couldn't get to the store and they kindly it shipped to a store outside London where a good friend was able to pick it up. Eventually after Christmas we were able to meet up in a Covid type 1:1 way. But annoyingly (for me) a couple of things were missing. The outer cardboard sleeve, not a big deal but annoying as these were supplied with every Rolex I have even bought from an AD (even privately). Also the swing tag was missing with the serial number and model number. Of course the stickers were off, but I was expecting that.

Long story short - after quite a few emails and couple of direct phone calls, even though initially the store promised to post back the hang tag (saying their local store policy is not to hand out the hang tags with new Rolex though this is not the policy in other stores) - they now say they cannot locate the tag so there is nothing they can do.

Just a bit peeved. There are far more serious things to worry about in the world, but this will never be a 'complete' set now.

Leave it or escalate?
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 13th January 2021 at 08:35.

Leave it.

Very minor issues and to my mind I would not say it wasn’t a full set by not having the white outer sleeve or hand tag and these are not always given out. They are nice to haves, not need to haves

As long as you have all the correct paperwork, official box and of course the watch then all good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    Leave it.

Very minor issues and to my mind I would not say it wasn’t a full set by not having the white outer sleeve or hand tag and these are not always given out. They are nice to haves, not need to haves

As long as you have all the correct paperwork, official box and of course the watch then all good.

Ta! All paperwork, box - and a watch! present and correct

I have other things to worry about much more serious than a piece of plastic. Cheers for the reassurance.

Martyn

Master
    Disagree...you should take the matter further.

The swing/hang tag with the serial number etc makes it a complete set...i for one would never buy an incomplete set.

I like apples. Get some of those instead.

Think aurium group policy is they keep swing tag since last year happend with couple of my purchases. Not sure of other ads

The outer sleeve could easily be replaced on the cheap. The tag is annoying, but as stated not the end of the world.

Did you get the bezel protector and plastic coffin

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    Leave it.

+1, lack of hangtag only devalues the watch in the eyes of a small minority if buyers, if you were to sell in a couple if years the condition if the watch would be the predominant factor in the eyes of a sensible buyer.

I find this ‘full set’ obsession amusing, some folks get brainwashed by it, they’ll overlook cosmetic damage in the belief it can be rectified at ‘service’ time and buy a scruffy example because it’s got the ‘full set’, idiotic way of thinking, I’ve no sympathy when these buyers end up buying a poor example because they don’t use common sense.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post

Did you get the bezel protector and plastic coffin
    That's just getting silly. (Where is my Monty Python .gif?)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    The white sleeve is to protect the box from marking in transit.
    IIRC it's not necessarily part of 'the set' and isnt always given out at point of sale.

I doubt you'd lose an onward sale over a hang-tag tbh and if you did its possibly the type of sale that its a relief not to have to deal with.
    I can see why they're nice to have they don't add any particular value.

Craftsman
    Leave it and enjoy the watch for what it is.

Come sale time, I believe you still have the most pertinent parts so it’s value has been maintained.

If the swing tag has been lost and can’t be replaced, what is your ideal outcome and is this likely.

Master
    I think it is slightly annoying as you say not the end of the world.

My experience of recently selling, I was asked by the dealer on two occasions: do you have BOTH tags? I suspect his offer or willingness to buy may have changed if I did not have the small piece of white plastic. Not sure why, but there you go.

If you ever want another watch from that AD again leave it.

Craftsman
    I would also be upset by not getting everything.

However, I would delight in the fact that you didn’t end up paying £9000 from a non Rolex dealer.

I know you didn’t get a bezel protector because I sold you mine. I didn’t get one with my last new Submariner either.
    Not sure what these Rolex dealers are doing with these bits. But they seem to be available on eBay.

If you want a coffin. Have one as well. I wouldn’t expect to receive one of those from a Rolex dealer, when i buy a watch.

Not sure where you would buy an outer box cover.

I have one of those as well. But it needs to stay with the Rolex box I am due to sell.

Master
    Personally I’ve never understood the obsession with a full set, but each to their own. For me a full set is box and papers/warranty card and booklets. I’d just enjoy that beauty!

P.s I’ll happily buy the watch off you at rrp if you’re not getting along! 😁

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I have to say my original AD were excellent and even wrote a stern email to the other branch it was against group policy to keep the tag and to pass on the tag immediately (which the other branch even agreed to). Maybe it’s a provincial thing. Anyway enough (I guess)

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Agree best to keep things chilled rather than crank up the pressure as they might be less accommodating next time around when you want another piece...

IMHO..its not a biggy swing tags nice to have on things like 16610LV or 16710 BLRO but less essential on other models...

the ND 41 is for me best of the new line up - enjoy...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    The white sleeve is to protect the box from marking in transit.
    IIRC it's not necessarily part of 'the set' and isnt always given out at point of sale.

I doubt you'd lose an onward sale over a hang-tag tbh and if you did its possibly the type of sale that its a relief not to have to deal with.
    I can see why they're nice to have they don't add any particular value.
    You're right, its only for transit purposes. Strange though as for every Rolex I've ever bought, its always been included . . . . until the last two, where I've had to ask for it. A friend bought a new Rolex in November and only asked for it as I'd mentioned it, so maybe its changed.

As for your situation Martyn, I think I'd be annoyed myself, even though its a bit petty in the grand scheme of things. I'd ask again, or go in after lockdown if you're up that way. I wouldn't let it mess up your relationship though, so if its awkward, just leave it.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I have to say my original AD were excellent and even wrote a stern email to the other branch it was against group policy to keep the tag and to pass on the tag immediately (which the other branch even agreed to). Maybe it’s a provincial thing. Anyway enough (I guess)
    I just opened my Sub 41 box to see what was inside (I wore it when I collected it on the AD doorstep) and saw two tags. I wasn't sure which you meant until I saw a comment mention the serial number but had already decided the chronometer tag was probably the more important but I wouldn't care if I didn't have either. Annoying I bet but honestly not worth the effort. Your main store/AD might put you slightly higher up the list for the next watch as a result.

I also found the receipt in the box which was a relief as I'd been wondering where that was!

Master
    If you are really worried about a tag then you are taking the whole thing far too seriously.

One of the disadvantages of accessing fora is that you can easily become a bit sad and worrying about a tag is plain sad.

You got the watch, now just use it and enjoy it.

No.
    Unless you were planning to wear the tag or the outer sleeve.

I thought for a moment Apple had bought out Rolex !! :)

Should I be annoyed? Ignore if you don't like Rolex content - but may apple to others

I can understand that with a new purchase you would want everything to be pristine, unfortunately that is not always the case.

Missing outer box and hang tags would not bother me, it's just packaging, obtaining the watch is the most important thing.

Of course if you're a flipper you might want everything in place but would those items affect re-sale price? The watch itself holds the most value, particularly if it's hard to get hold of.

If we are talking WoS group, my last purchase from a Goldsmiths in Dec 2020 came with the full set.

I personally don't think it alters the value of the watch but things have got silly with watches where the outer card sleeve becomes a necessary part of the set in some peoples eyes.

I would be interested to know whether Watchfinder knock money off an offer if the watch doesn't come with hangtag and card sleeve.

Don't be overly concerned about it.Just enjoy.These things maybe matter if you intend to flip and profit.I can never remember anyone complaining about another brand and this happening...

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amcneill View Post
    Don't be overly concerned about it.Just enjoy.These things maybe matter if you intend to flip and profit.I can never remember anyone complaining about another brand and this happening...

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk
    People who know me, know I won’t sell a watch ... for at least three months.

Oh - I’ve found a spare plastic/polystyrene transport coffin if anyone wants it and a used case back sticker.

Master
    I thought you were a bit nuts and OCD with the bumper stickers tbh but I would be slightly irked missing a hang tag that should have been put in.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I personally would not be bothered it seems to vary depending on staff. My last 4 watches have all been left unsized and stickerd fully. Where in the past they have literally ripped every sticker off.

I wouldn’t be bothered about it Martyn, even if I was looking to buy such a watch off SC in a few weeks or months time....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    If you are really worried about a tag then you are taking the whole thing far too seriously.

One of the disadvantages of accessing fora is that you can easily become a bit sad and worrying about a tag is plain sad.

You got the watch, now just use it and enjoy it.
    Agree with Mick here.

Worrying about pointless gewgaws will just sour the whole experience for you.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Not sure I 100% agree there if missing a hang tag could knock £100s off the resale, which is why I think it is a valid question to ask here. Depends if you are someone who buys a watch to keep or buys a watch to wear for a bit then sell. Many of us on this forum, despite our best intentions fall into the latter category.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Not sure I 100% agree there if missing a hang tag could knock £100s off the resale.
    Given the baseline re-sale price ought to be the watch itself paying RRP on this watch should be enough to get a profit at re-sale time but will it be £100's down from one with a hang tag? That is ridiculous if true.

Craftsman
    if it`s a watch you`re going to wear it wouldn`t bother me

my Hulk came from a Greek AD back in 2016 when they where cheaper in Europe. I gave £5600. Came without both things you mention, but suppose I did buy grey. But it`s my weekend wearer always has been always will be

Selling to someone who believes the tag is a key element, a sine qua non condition for a full set is asking for trouble anyway.

A sense of perspective is essential and Martyn enjoys his watches instead of locking them up in an air conditioned padded safe for future profit.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I think I would be a bit peeved too. The tags etc are part of the provenance of the watch. Just like most things that are collectable - the provenance is part of the collection and should accompany it in my opinion.

Master
    The missing tag in the context of crap year. In years to come you will remember why you don’t have it and be grateful 2020 is behind us. The story is better then a silly tag.

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    The missing tag in the context of crap year. In years to come you will remember why you don’t have it and be grateful 2020 is behind us. The story is better then a silly tag.
    Nice sentiment but (no offence Martyn) there's no chance he's still got that in years to come!

Master
    I'd leave it, wouldn't worry me as i would be delighted to have got the watch.

Craftsman
    Perhaps a little annoying that the tag was not included; but I have to wonder what became of it? Why would the dealer want to retain it if he knew it might irk the customer? Somehow I’d be fairly sure it didn’t end up in the bin.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ALindsay View Post
    Perhaps a little annoying that the tag was not included; but I have to wonder what became of it? Why would the dealer want to retain it if he knew it might irk the customer? Somehow I’d be fairly sure it didn’t end up in the bin.
    TZ-UK mobile app
    Of course they don’t end up in the bin.

There either sold or gifted to the reselling dealers, so they can make up a full set.
    Or sold on eBay.

On a new watch costing a few hundred quid it wouldent bother me unduly but on a brand spanking new Rolly costing a few grand I would want and expect everything including the salespersons business card, the lot :)

If we were talking about a watch that was rare or a limited issue then I might be a bit peeved; otherwise, not really that important.

The objects themselves wouldn’t bother me too much in the long run.

It’s more the principle of the matter with the AD interfering/ removing certain parts of the OEM supplied package, and on that point I would make my feelings very clear to the offending AD manager ... although probably clarify definitively, what Rolex would expect to be handed over first.

At what point would it become unacceptable? Manuals, spare links, little green wallet things...etc...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by darko View Post
    The objects themselves wouldn’t bother me too much in the long run.

It’s more the principle of the matter with the AD interfering/ removing certain parts of the OEM supplied package, and on that point I would make my feelings very clear to the offending AD manager ... although probably clarify definitively, what Rolex would expect to be handed over first.

At what point would it become unacceptable? Manuals, spare links, little green wallet things...etc...
    So far I’ve dealt with the assistant manager, perhaps I may write a final email to the manager airing my feelings. The annoyance is I know I would have the complete set (except bezel protector / most stickers) if I’d managed to get to my original AD from the same group.

Master
    You should go see your solicitor, how dare they

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by taz11 View Post
    Think aurium group policy is they keep swing tag since last year happend with couple of my purchases. Not sure of other ads
    I picked up 3 new Rolex watches from Aurum group last year, including a 124060, all came with swing tags..

Master
    Well buying a brand new watch should be exciting, so in some ways the AD has failed miserably. Any experienced AD will know most Rolex sport watch buyers want the bits. And the hang tag is one of the more important parts of the set, since it has the serial, you can’t just pick one up on eBay afterwards like a manual or bezel protector. For the AD to just lose it, is bad form, since you paid for it, your watch including everything that normally goes with it is yours. Basically, I won’t be happy either, though since they’ve lost it already, not sure what they can do. They are going to downplay this probably and say you are just being @nal.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    So far I’ve dealt with the assistant manager, perhaps I may write a final email to the manager airing my feelings. The annoyance is I know I would have the complete set (except bezel protector / most stickers) if I’d managed to get to my original AD from the same group.
    I’d call him/ her and speak to them directly. Emails can sometimes miss the mark wildly IMO, coming across the wrong way...and they also have the time to formulate a ‘weasel word’ response.

I would simply enquire as to why they believe it is right to interfere in the standard supplied, watch specific packaging from the OEM. It even has your watch ser no. it!

We all know they didn’t go in the bin and will likely find there way into ‘the aftermarket’ which also shows them in a very bad light.

Craftsman
    I wouldn't bother if i were you as time is the ultimate resource, they did the same to me when I bought a less popular watch from them (blue 126334), and this was the last time I bothered with Rolex.. I haven't purchased a watch since then (end of 2019) but I am currently consistently looking at 'less popular' brands and new flats, for the hobby and for long term investments respectively.