closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Mont Blanc pen deals?

Journeyman

Mont Blanc pen deals?

I am sure a lot of you watch enthusiasts will have Mont Blanc pens. Where has the best deals on these?
    Last edited by Saints2014; 11th January 2021 at 22:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Saints2014 View Post
    I am sure a lot of you watch enthusiasts will have Mont Blanc pens. Where has the best deals on these?
    to be honest - pens shaped like mountains are pretty hard to write with.

Try a Montblanc instead - similarly sounding name but actually pen shaped.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I love izods.ink for used and rarer mb's

Can I ask what attracts you to an MB, and whether you are looking for a fountain pen, or something else?

I am curious becuase I have a few fountain pens, but not one MB.

Iguana sell UK had pretty good deals

Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    Can I ask what attracts you to an MB, and whether you are looking for a fountain pen, or something else?

I am curious becuase I have a few fountain pens, but not one MB.
    Cultpens is one of my ‘go to’ web shops for stationary. Also have far too many pens but no Mb here either.

Blog Entries
    On SC in due course. I sold mine a while back when I left the rat-race behind.

topic not really watch related - maybe should have been on G&D instead? There is probably a thread on pens there somewhere.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 11th January 2021 at 23:06.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Iguana sell UK had pretty good deals
    Iguanasell also sell Nakaya pens, which are superb, and no-one will know what it is, and for the same price as an MB.

Iguanasell also sell Nakaya pens, which are superb, and no-one will know what it is, and for the same price as an MB.
    I personally prefer Visconti, even their cheapest pens are faultless.

I am not sure how things will work buying from there now post Brexit think it will be wait and see.

I bought my 146 through a WTB on here and am very happy with it but I wouldn't pay the new price considering the alternatives out there. I'm more into my vintage pens though.

I have been trying to resist a Nakaya and know one day I'll crumble.
    "A man of little significance"

Master

Smile

Montblanc has the name and the occasional ink leak. But why follow the herd? For writing, I'd pick one of the alternatives (e.g. any Pelikan or a Parker Duofold).

I've built up quite a collection of fountain pens over the years, including one Montblanc, given to me as a present many years ago. I far prefer my Pelikans to the MB and I even have a couple of Platinums which I feel are nicer pens than the MB (and cheaper).

As for Montblanc deals, I can't help, but as mentioned above Cult Pens are a great stationery shop and one of my favourite shops of any kind. Their prices are often good and it's run by enthusiasts and a whole bunch of really nice, friendly people. I can't recommend them highly enough.

Ian

Visconti are very stylish pens. I should have probably bought one of them instead of my Delta DVOS, which is a bit flash for me really.

Pelikan are certainly a good make. I have a number of them, and my black 805 with an OM nib is one of the best I have got.

I had John Twiss make me a custom pen along the lines of the Nakaya Long Writer. I supplied a Pelikan nib from an 800 series, and John made the pen, with a button filler. It’s no Nakaya, but it is a fabulous pen to write with and to look at.

I had John Twiss make me a custom pen along the lines of the Nakaya Long Writer. I supplied a Pelikan nib from an 800 series, and John made the pen, with a button filler. It’s no Nakaya, but it is a fabulous pen to write with and to look at.
    That sounds very nice!

Is it not the case that Mont Blanc has become the Rolex of the Fountain Pen world. That’s all.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I’ve got 3 - one my wife bought me in Rome when the pound was over 1.40 to the euro, one I bought off Jordan on SC for a good price and one (A Beatles) I bought online in a sale (Burrell’s I think but not sure) which was massively discounted. All of them were great prices. Just search the web and I’m sure there will be deals about.

I much prefer writing things down instead of computers so I use all of mine most days. Just like I prefer cash to card and watches to phones :-)

Vintage original ones are far better than modern ones because the parts were higher quality.

They replaced metal and ebonite with plastic.

When the Vintage ones went if for service or repair they would automaticall change the good parts for the newer plastic ones without even telling you.

I had a rare fully original 149 1980`s one for sale in SC for half the modern price and nobody wanted it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    Is it not the case that Mont Blanc has become the Rolex of the Fountain Pen world. That’s all.

Not sure how?

I think it is more the posh High St pen that everyone recognises. A sign of success!

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Vintage original ones are far better than modern ones because the parts were higher quality.

They replaced metal and ebonite with plastic.

When the Vintage ones went if for service or repair they would automaticall change the good parts for the newer plastic ones without even telling you.

I had a rare fully original 149 1980`s one for sale in SC for half the modern price and nobody wanted it lol.
    I think I PMd you about that months later but you'd sold it elsewhere. But then I only became interested in pens again during lockdown.

I much prefer writing things down instead of computers so I use all of mine most days. Just like I prefer cash to card and watches to phones :-)[/QUOTE]

Good Man

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I’ve got 3 - one my wife bought me in Rome when the pound was over 1.40 to the euro, one I bought off Jordan on SC for a good price and one (A Beatles) I bought online in a sale (Burrell’s I think but not sure) which was massively discounted. All of them were great prices. Just search the web and I’m sure there will be deals about.

I much prefer writing things down instead of computers so I use all of mine most days. Just like I prefer cash to card and watches to phones :-)
    I got my Beatles MB in the Burrell's sale too. I think I saved around £200 off list, which brought it into the realms of reality for me.

Worth having a look as it's the right time of year for them to be offering some kind of deal.

FWIW OP - if you want a MB then get one!

Master
    If anyone sees a deal or decent sale then do let me know as I’d be interested in a new MB pen. Would prefer a rollerball.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    If anyone sees a deal or decent sale then do let me know as I’d be interested in a new MB pen. Would prefer a rollerball.

Have you tried over on the Pen Island website yet?

If you want to write with a MB rollerball what about this? Really good price.

Only you will know.

Quote Originally Posted by tuscanracer View Post
    Have you tried over on the Pen Island website yet?
    ... awaits feedback.

Bought both of mine off SC

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Mont Blanc are nice, however Dunhill and ST DuPont are a step above . Very solid build quality.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    If it doesn't bother you, you can buy a MB biro and buy rollerball refills that fit. Not MB but another make, I did this and bought the refills in WHSmith. Biros are cheaper than rollerball.

Damn this thread got me wanting an older Mont Blanc fountain pen now! Ideas on best sites to look?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    Damn this thread got me wanting an older Mont Blanc fountain pen now! Ideas on best sites to look?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Penamie. Room to negotiate on prices there. Izods. Plus eBay, of course.

Don't buy one.
    Had three they all leaked. Chased warranty on the first two with repairs. They still leaked. Gave up on the third.
    Roller ball is fine but refills expensive.
    As said already Pelikin are excellent and more reliable.
    My Dunhill is useless.
    My day to day is now a TWSBI. Simple stylish and ultra reliable.
    And they cost about £40

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    Damn this thread got me wanting an older Mont Blanc fountain pen now!
    I’d recommend getting a Pelikan instead (considerably better than Montblanc)

Quote Originally Posted by Integrale View Post
    Don't buy one.
    Had three [Montblanc] they all leaked. Chased warranty on the first two with repairs. They still leaked. Gave up on the third [Montblanc].
    As said already Pelikin are excellent and more reliable.

I have one of these on the way

https://bigidesign.com/products/ti-click-edc-pen

Seems kinda interesting, it will take just about any refill on the market.

I may even buy a Montblanc refill some day., more likely a G2 though.