closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Watches, High Quality to Price ratio

Master
    Damasko as a rugged daily wearer. I've bought a Scurfa and a Newmark HS chrono recently as gifts and both were very good value for money imo.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyzzj View Post
    (seems like a few other German brands were mentioned too... a trend?)
    Yes, I reckon Germany brands offer a significantly higher quality-to-price ration than Swiss.

And I'll second the vote for Damasko watches. If they had Made-in-Switzerland on the dial, I reckon they would cost double – considering their ice-hardened steel, Damest coating technology, and so on. Not to mention the range of technologies that go into the crown alone.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Another vote for Oris.

Sinn used to offer fantastic quality for the money, I have my early U1 on today, bought many years ago and it is a cracking watch what for what I paid (<£900), similarly the 903 offered better quality for less outlay than the Navitimer. I am not sure I can say that now though. The quality is still there but their prices have shot through the roof making them less of a value proposition, (the 903 is still a great watch for the money though). Unfortunately the same can be said for lots of watch brands these days.

I think Fortis still offer great quality for competitive prices and are often to be found at a good discount, as do Marathon (no discount though); Helson are another brand that offer great quality and finishing for 'comparatively' little outlay. I have also been very impressed with my one and only Zeno bought just before xmas, Zeno are a brand I have always thought of as a bit 'Mickey Mouse' but the UDT canteen watch is a great substitute fo the real thing.
    lastly I have a few Timefactors watches but the PRS82 is a stonking watch for the money, equally as good as some of my watches costing 3 times the amount.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 11th January 2021 at 16:43.

Craftsman
    I think with Longines and Bell & Ross you get serious bang for your buck!

Seiko Sarx series. Some Seiko 5’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    My citizen promaster, automatic, 200m water resistance and even has a glidelock for £125, about the price of a mid range alligator watch strap!

Based upon ownership experience I'd go for Damasko (the 3 hander DA range), Tudor, OceanX, Grand Seiko (quartz) and any Casio G-Shock up to and around the £100 mark.

Master

Servicing costs matter

Based upon ownership experience, I concur with CardShark about Damasko's 3-hander DA range

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Another vote for Oris.
    And I agree with Oris, and not just regarding the initial outlay (a high quality-to-price ratio). In my experience, Oris UK charges a reasonable fee for servicing; Oris Service Centre costs are about the same as an independent watchmaker.

It makes the whole ownership experience significantly better, compared to other brands that sour ownership by taking the Mickey when it comes to servicing the watch.

When it comes to the quality-to-price ratio, servicing costs matter.

It's been mentioned already but the Oris divers 65 is one of those that when you see it in person has something about it that makes it feel a lot more 'special' than the price. Seiko SPB143/5/7/9 line also has this quality in lesser abundance, but it's certainly there.

Seiko is a tricky one. I would say that sub £500 the ratio is favourable but once you get to £750+, the lack of quality control becomes an issue. The usual issues regarding bezel alignment, bezel action, stamped dial markers, movement stated accuracy and more recently, cheap lumibrite application are not acceptable at that price level, and really, you’re paying for the design rather than the quality of the watch.

Similarly, I think the Oris 65 is a beautiful watch but to me it feels a bit tinny. It adds to the appeal, but again, I think it’s design over quality (which is perfectly valid, and usually my primary motivation for most purchases)

I agree re Seiko being tricky. Best bang for buck I've found personally on a Seiko is the MM200 line. £799 RRP for the SPB079 (black dial, blue bezel, on rubber) with discounts to be had. There was even a Great Blue Hole for £600 on SC this week. Superb watches and excellent quality, not just for the money. The other models are very hit and miss I've found.

From personal experience only -

Nomos - agree with all the comments above
    Alpina - I have three, and all are very well finished
    Ball - The one I have (Trainmaster Legend) is a real stunner. Beautifully finished, even when examined under a loupe
    Geckota - I've had some bargains from Watchgecko, with judicious use of discount codes, and their watches are well put together for the minimal outlay.

I would have included Stowa on the list a few years ago, but whilst I have four, and they're all very good quality for the price I paid, I feel their current prices are a little steeper and they're not the same value for money they once were.

Ian

Another Nomos vote

SINN
    Seiko MM300, SLA017, 019,...
    Citizen JP2000

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Sinn used to offer fantastic quality for the money, I have my early U1 on today, bought many years ago and it is a cracking watch what for what I paid (<£900),
    Echo this. Could not believe what you could buy five or six years ago and second hand they really were silly money. Remember buying and selling a few U1's on the forum for £500.00 - £600.00. These days it isn't the case and I suspect it is probably the main reason I haven't committed to a U50 as yet.

Craftsman
    Been very interesting so far, and I've been check out alot of the models mentioned.

Sinn and Nomos seem to be popping up an awful lot!

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Master
    This has been superb for the asking price, especially considering the accuracy (so far, about 0.5 secs / month). Very nice finish, lovely dial, lovely blued hands.

The only areas where some might find fault is the packaging, but even that will appeal to some in its eco-friendly minimalism.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    This has been superb for the asking price, especially considering the accuracy (so far, about 0.5 secs / month). Very nice finish, lovely dial, lovely blued hands.

The only areas where some might find fault is the packaging, but even that will appeal to some in its eco-friendly minimalism.
    Agreed.

My sons bought me one for my birthday in November and it’s lovely. The combination of ivory dial and blued hands is spot on, and I even like the minimalist packaging!

Apprentice
    Hamilton

For me, in approximately this order starting at highest quality to price ratio:
    Oris
    Longines
    Timex
    Orient
    Seiko
    Ball

Blog Entries
    I’d add :

Pinion
    Chonoswiss
    Vulcain

Especially if you can find them discounted ...

..& Fortis

z

One Orient model is one of the best divers I tried (and I am a diver fanatic): Orient saturation diver. Fantastic bezel and crown action, 5mm thick sapphire, etc., imho value for the money is amazing

Poslano sa mog SM-G960F koriste?i Tapatalk

Watches, High Quality to Price ratio

At the risk of sounding like there's an echo in here, I'd also have to say OceanX.

Interesting fact... a new Rolex DSSD costs exactly 28 times as much as a new OceanX Sharkmaster 1000. The OceanX is not as good, but as sure as hell it's not 1/28th as good...

Simon
    Last edited by mycroft; 13th January 2021 at 00:47.

Scurfa
    Steinhart
    Helson
    Armida
    Squale

Craftsman
    TimeFactors
    Lorier
    Traska

I know what everyone is thinking, just another micro-brand pusher. I know there are a lot of micro-brands out there and more coming all the time, but there are a few that really offer a lot for the money.

Definitely HELM for me have 2 now, such great quality for the Money
    Last edited by Euan Goold; 13th January 2021 at 12:50.

Journeyman
    As others have said, I think the Citizen 200m auto divers are incredible value and I’ve just picked up a Citizen BJ7107-83E worldtimer GMT for a bit over £200. Again, just exceptional value.

I’ve had a couple of Newmark’s too which are fab.

Well their's one just turned up on eBay that certainly doesn't fit the criteria.
    As much as I think Steinhart's are value for money this one's a tad overpriced.

Steinhart Ocean One Vintage Red for £26300.00 but at least it's boxed and with hang tag

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

I think the font on your eBay should be illegal, and is much worse than the price!

Craftsman
    Got to love a chancer!

Out of the ones I owned or have owned

Oris Aquis
    Ocean X Sharkmaster
    HKED Bund

Ehh why To say it's worse than the price is brutal.
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I think the font on your eBay should be illegal, and is much worse than the price!
    Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Eddie's Navigator with top grade movement was my bargain last year.

And when I see that Railmaster on SC for what seems to be a very fair price, Rolex seem to be very overpriced, all IMHO, to prevent any outrage.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Some Orient models seem to offer great value for the price. The new triton model without the power reserve looks quite good.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by kneadking View Post
    TimeFactors
    Lorier
    Traska

I know what everyone is thinking, just another micro-brand pusher. I know there are a lot of micro-brands out there and more coming all the time, but there are a few that really offer a lot for the money.
    I was just looking at Traska's new model, daft name The Commuter, but the white dial version looks really rather nice and a very passable riff on the Rolex OP theme/style...shame they don't offer it in a non date version.

Master
    I've had a few Parnis and Pagani design watches and while they always get moved on I think they offer amazing value/spec for the money.
    If you manage to time the sales, discount vouchers and avoid custom issues then they start at around £50!
    Personally I think that's amazing and I've had much more expensive watches that I didn't think were that much better given the 5,10 or 20 times price difference.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Probably Taboo to say this on TZ but the chap who runs another UK based watch forum used to make RLT watches.

They were excellent value and if he started making again i would be after one for sure.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    I was just looking at Traska's new model, daft name The Commuter, but the white dial version looks really rather nice and a very passable riff on the Rolex OP theme/style...shame they don't offer it in a non date version.
    That green dialed version is very tasty, good price for the specs as well.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

My biggest surprise on quality-at-price-point has been Seiko, specifically the SPB "premium" range of Prospex divers. As wileeey has said above, the Great Blue Hole MM200 is really special (I miss mine) and in my view the new MM200 SPB185 is spectacular, particularly the case finishing, indices and handset. The top end of the Presage line (thinking enamel dials like the SPB069 which I've mentioned elsewhere) has some cracking value to offer as well.

I'm conscious all of these retail at or near the £1,000 mark, and as such one would reasonably expect jolly good quality - but I do feel that these Seikos offer especially good value both by virtue of the appeal of the designs, the features and the quality of the execution.

Journeyman
    For me it’s Damasko. Nothing that I know off, offers the tech for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Gullers View Post
    Out of the ones I owned or have owned

Oris Aquis
    Ocean X Sharkmaster
    HKED Bund
    That's a good point. If we're including the HKED stuff, I agree, the 'Bund' is excellent for the money, but I purchased the 'Peacock Classic' too, and that is really lovely. Like a Stowa Marine Original with a lovely textured dial, blued hands, AR sapphire, very well finished case and a 72 hour power reserve. One of the favourites in my collection, and cost me the grand total of £265 including shipping!

Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    I think Oris punch above their weight with some of their offerings

Styling and heritage perhaps but not for quality, in my opinion they are poor value especially when compared to Swatch Group brands such as Longines

If they were a few hundred quid I'd be a fan. I bought a 65 and sent it back, the quality of the dial and hands, machining of case, the crystal and the movement weren't good enough for the price. Side by side with a Longines and the Oris doesn't stack up.

I had an Oris about ten years ago before the changed case supplier and movement supplier and added a grand to the price.

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    It looks like comic sans...

In fact, I fear it IS comic sans.

The horror.

Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post
    Styling and heritage perhaps but not for quality, in my opinion they are poor value especially when compared to Swatch Group brands such as Longines

If they were a few hundred quid I'd be a fan. I bought a 65 and sent it back, the quality of the dial and hands, machining of case, the crystal and the movement weren't good enough for the price. Side by side with a Longines and the Oris doesn't stack up.

I had an Oris about ten years ago before the changed case supplier and movement supplier and added a grand to the price.

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk
    Sorry to hear your woes. I’ve had a couple now and absolutely no problems and have been happy with ‘bang for buck’

Quote Originally Posted by Rob s View Post
    I've had a few Parnis and Pagani design watches and while they always get moved on I think they offer amazing value/spec for the money.
    If you manage to time the sales, discount vouchers and avoid custom issues then they start at around £50!
    Personally I think that's amazing and I've had much more expensive watches that I didn't think were that much better given the 5,10 or 20 times price difference.
    I can't really argue with you on any specific point, but like you I find these have always been moved on.

To me that suggests there's something about them that just doesn't seem good value and I doubt I will buy any more from these brands.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I can't really argue with you on any specific point, but like you I find these have always been moved on.

To me that suggests there's something about them that just doesn't seem good value and I doubt I will buy any more from these brands.

M
    Maybe its the fact that most of there catalog (if not all) are homages, there is something about an original design that adds to the value

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

M
    I think maybe the low price point means they are never a keeper as we aspire to 'better watches'.
    I've lined trying some homage designs where I could afford or justify the originals price

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Master
    Regarding Longines and the Oris, my experience was the opposite. My Oris TT1 diver was significantly higher quality than the Longines Hydroconquest it replaced. Bezel action, quality feel, bracelet and clasp were all better on the Oris. Perhaps these things vary by model?

At discount prices I think Baume and Mercier are well up the league table.