closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I need a polisher person.

I need a polisher person.

I have a watch that needs some light TLC its 61 years young and running like a train and keeping absolute perfect time down to one or two seconds every few days, not too shabby for a 61yr old auto.

Does anyone here polish acrylic crystals and get rid of very light patina off dials.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse64 View Post
    I have a watch that needs some light TLC its 61 years young and running like a train and keeping absolute perfect time down to one or two seconds every few days, not too shabby for a 61yr old auto.

Does anyone here polish acrylic crystals and get rid of very light patina off dials.
    Polish the crystal yourself using braso or a cape cod cloth, its Childs play.

re the dial, this is a bit more complex and you would need to send it to a watch maker, most have quite a wait time at the moment, if you let us know what part of the country you are in someone might be able to recommend someone. That said it would depend on what the patina is? dirt can be cleaned to some extent, dial rot, missing paint etc is not as easy. if its dirt a service might not be a bad idea anyway.

Grand Master
    Getting rid of ageing on the dial is often impossible. Refinishing the acrylic crystal is easy and its something you could do yourself. 3000 grit wet and dry wrapped around a small flat rubber block will take out scratches and leave the crystal uniformly opaque. Repeat with 5000 grit, then metal polish on a cloth, finally finishing with polywatch. Be sure to mask the bezel to avoid damage and apply a little soapy water to the abrasive paper. Use a magnifier to see what you’re doing and check the finish.

Follow this procedure and you can’t go wrong. The whole process takes around 20 minutes.

I have given the crystal a light polish and to be fair it doesn't look bad but it could do with a little more, this is the watch in question, first edition Aquaplunge, as you can see the patina is minimal but I would rather not have it.

20210123_164411 by danger_mouse1964, on Flickr

Grand Master
    I don’t think the dial will improve with cleaning. I would be more concerned with getting the watch water resistant, the crown seal will almost certainly be perished or hardened and the watch will leak if splashed.

There is very little you can do to remove the signs of age shown. I think it looks better for it.
    It’s an old watch, it should look like an old watch.
    It’s a damn good looking watch as well

I thought from the title that you needed a case polisher person but it seems you need an acrylic crystal buffer person and a dial patina remover person.

You can use some Polywatch (although other substitutes are out there) https://www.amazon.co.uk/polyWatch-S.../dp/B00E3T237C

Or, you can use some sandpaper: https://www.oakleighwatches.co.uk/po...-as-it-sounds/

I am trying not to do too much to it, but the patina I cant live with dirt on a dial, as for taking it apart to waterproof it, I wont be letting it go near any water intentionally and as it is running near perfect time I dont want the movement touching I have timed it against two Accutron II for a few days and it keeps to within 1 second over 3 days if worn or - 3 if not worn, I have never had an auto so accurate before.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse64 View Post
    I am trying not to do too much to it, but the patina I cant live with dirt on a dial, as for taking it apart to waterproof it, I wont be letting it go near any water intentionally and as it is running near perfect time I dont want the movement touching I have timed it against two Accutron II for a few days and it keeps to within 1 second over 3 days if worn or - 3 if not worn, I have never had an auto so accurate before.
    Looks lovely to me, with the watch's history on display although I suppose it's water damage on the dial? An alternative suggestion - is it possible to find a clean replacement dial and possibly hands too? You could keep the original dial safe but have a watchmaker fit one that looks better. I suggest hands too because if you can find a set and want to you could ask James Hyman (Dreamboat10 on here) to relume them if necessary to look like the ones you've taken out, or to look clean but with some age in the colour. But I appreciate it's an old watch and that's all easier said than done.
    "A man of little significance"

Just had a look for spare parts for this model and drawn a blank, I am now teetering on the edge and thinking about putting it on sales area for trades to see if anything comes up as a trade as I have no idea on value as these things, thanks for all the advice guys.