closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Problem with new Dell XPS 13 laptop

Problem with new Dell XPS 13 laptop

I recently purchased a new Dell XPS 9310 Laptop and it's behaving strangely. Since day one there have been times when the screen freezes briefly and then shows weird multi-colour lines and dots until I press the start button again. It looks a bit like an acid technicolour painting! I haven't bought a new laptop for over 8 years but I really wouldn't expect this from a new model that is near the top of their range. Does anyone know what this problem is? I'd like to be specific when I contact Dell technical support and maybe request a replacement under warranty. Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    I recently purchased a new Dell XPS 9310 Laptop and it's behaving strangely. Since day one there have been times when the screen freezes briefly and then shows weird multi-colour lines and dots until I press the start button again. It looks a bit like an acid technicolour painting! I haven't bought a new laptop for over 8 years but I really wouldn't expect this from a new model that is near the top of their range. Does anyone know what this problem is? I'd like to be specific when I contact Dell technical support and maybe request a replacement under warranty. Thanks all!
    Up to date with all Windows and Dell updates?
    If yes, it sounds like a BIOS or graphics card problem - Dell SupportAssist (or support chat) should be able to sort you out and identify if a replacement is necessary.
    Last edited by Stanford; 10th January 2021 at 12:58.

I bought my daughter an XPS 15 a few years ago, they are a great laptop when working! At the time I thought it would be quite a robust machine but she had problems similar to yours, (long story short) over time, she was using it on her bed (almost cased in the duvet) this caused it to overheat and fried the innerds. I do believe it had a super duper graphics card which increased the heat.

Dell replaced the motherboard and we bought a fan assisted laptop tray, it still gets hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    Up to date with all Windows and Dell updates?
    If yes, it sounds like a BIOS or graphics card problem - Dell SupportAssist (or support chat) should be able to sort you out and identify if a replacement is necessary.
    Thanks, yes all updated. If it's a BIOS or graphics card problem then is that an easy fix?

Thanks, yes all updated. If it's a BIOS or graphics card problem then is that an easy fix?
    BIOS updates are relatively easy as long as the necessary fix is identified and correctly applied, same with graphics card drivers etc. However, if it's a hardware problem then it's a different ballgame. You should go through support to try and identify the problem before worrying about hardware fixes.

Having said that, if you bought it through a retailer you could return and refund through them.

p.s. I always sign up for a Dell support package (at home) when I get a new laptop from them.

Take photos of the screen and write down a timeline of observations before using their helpline.

They will take it from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post

p.s. I always sign up for a Dell support package (at home) when I get a new laptop from them.
    I have same for my current Lenovo. It had a failure during a bios/windows update, but due to covid restrictions they didn't offer on-site service.

UPS uplifted it, and I got it returned 4 days later. A pretty good alternative.

Master
    How long have you had it?
    If less than 14 days consider returning it as is your right as it’s a distance purchase.

Or if it was me that’s what I’d be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    How long have you had it?
    If less than 14 days consider returning it as is your right as it’s a distance purchase.

Or if it was me that’s what I’d be doing.
    I've had it just over a month now so return isn't an option.

Craftsman
    I've had it just over a month now so return isn't an option.
    They usually come with min 12 months on site service. I'd call them out. My Dell Outlet XPS 13 soon didn't work on internal power at all. Battery showed fully charged yet as soon as you pulled out the mains adaptor, it died. They replaced it with new.

Then one of the USB ports didn't work and kept causing shutdowns. They repaired that out of warranty in my home for about £120.

One mod I did was to replace the internal wifi/bluetooth card with an Intel part as the OEM one was crap at hanging onto wifi connections.

Have you tried running the Dell Support Assistant app. That will tell you if there are any Bios or other updates required. It usually finds something on my xps15 after there's been a Windows update.

When you press the Start button does the issue go away and it’s then usable?

Does sound like a hardware, maybe overheating issue.

This is only my personal view but Dell business laptops are pretty fragile. I’ve seen a few where the laptop is unreliable in use and it turned out that the main system board had micro fractures which caused the instability. How they got there, my guess is users who when moving with their laptops holding it by the left/right corner which stresses the main board.

Screen or graphics card error, plug the laptop into an external Monitor to rule out the graphics card

I'd just send it back for a replacement though if it's that new.

Does the problem go away if you move the lid/screen backwadrs and forwards?

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Screen or graphics card error, plug the laptop into an external Monitor to rule out the graphics card

I'd just send it back for a replacement though if it's that new.
    I agree, just contact Dell and get it sorted or replaced. If it’s hardware fault OP shouldn’t have to diagnose it.

Dell have a pretty good warranty - contact your nearest Dell Service centre for instructions on what to do

Thanks all for the advice.

I contacted Dell Technical Support who told me to update Bios.

Fingers crossed that will resolve the issue.

Master
    Hopefully the bios update worked, I had a similar issue with one bought from here, sent back to Dell and a new motherboard was fitted, thankfully yours is under warranty otherwise it’s about £250.

With any Dell machine, its worth downloading and running Dell Command. It runs in Windows and basically identified your machine, runs to the Dell website, and grabs the latest version of drivers for absolutely everything. Then it turns the install into a one-click process. Best thing they've ever done.

Thanks all for the advice.

I contacted Dell Technical Support who told me to update Bios.

Fingers crossed that will resolve the issue.
    I know someone who had a very similar issue. Dell came round and replaced the lid/screen.

Update: Dell have now sent me a replacement.

The problem was getting worse and the Bios update didn't make any difference.

I'm not happy that an expensive laptop malfunctioned so badly but I'm pleased that Dell have replaced it.

Fingers crossed that the new one will be trouble free!

Good to hear. Even expensive things can be faulty and very likely a rare one off.

It's disheartening when you spend so much for something that doesn't work.

Hopefully you'll get many years of problem-free use out of the replacement. I've had my XPS13 almost 5 years. It's been used nearly every day during that time and it's travelled in planes, trains and helipcopters over several continents. I'll buy another one when the time comes, but there's no sign of it giving up yet.