closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Whatsapp Data Sharing?

Master

Whatsapp Data Sharing?

Recently had a popup regarding new terms and conditions. Often folks just tap the accept key but I did some more digging. I don't want to share everything with Big Brother Farcebook (Whatsapp now owned by Farcebook!!!) ie all my contents and images etc! This came up in my research:-
    https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/0...die-ultimatum/
    Grrrrrrrrrr!

Our family has all moved to Signal and I'm trying to get my wider contacts to do likewise.

https://indianexpress.com/article/te...about-the-app/

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Linked article
    Having said that, these policy changes apply everywhere except the EU, where WhatsApp has to work according to robust GDPR guidelines.
    Now I know that we have now left the EU but believe (for the time being at least) our GDPR rules are still aligned.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    Recently had a popup regarding new terms and conditions. Often folks just tap the accept key but I did some more digging. I don't want to share everything with Big Brother Farcebook (Whatsapp now owned by Farcebook!!!) ie all my contents and images etc! This came up in my research:-
    https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/0...die-ultimatum/
    Grrrrrrrrrr!
    Just to be clear, the contents of your messages won't get shared with anyone except your WhatsApp correspondents - they're end to end encrypted.

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    Our family has all moved to Signal and I'm trying to get my wider contacts to do likewise.

https://indianexpress.com/article/te...about-the-app/

We use a paper based dead drop system in my family.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Just to be clear, the contents of your messages won't get shared with anyone except your WhatsApp correspondents - they're end to end encrypted.
    Yes. Agreed, but:-
    "The data points that all Facebook companies can access may include your account details, any metadata associated with your chats, your financial transactions (over WhatsApp Pay), and even some information that the app automatically collects, like your log reports, device and network details, and your location (approximate, even if you haven’t consented location sharing)."

Message content won’t be shared, but it’s inevitable that your Facebook account has already been linked to your WhatsApp account in private FB data, and this policy change now allows them to utilise that more obviously in their real product - targeted advertising.

I’d imagine, over time, this will mean more advertising in WhatsApp; data sourced from WhatsApp will be used in FB’s advertising business (e.g. contacts, group names and interests, location, common contacts for social mapping, etc); and contact suggestions based on merged FB and WhatsApp data.

(Edit - I’d also assume a time will come where you can’t use WhatsApp without a FB account and agreeing to all consolidated T&C’s)

FB’s entire business is based on using very detailed data analysis to sell highly targeting adverts to their advertising customers. WhatsApp data just extends the sources and reach.

As FB is a private company your only choice is to delete your account, request full data deletion under your EU-GDPR rights, and move to another service.

Following with interest... (as someone who doesn't have a Facebook account)

https://9to5mac.com/2021/01/04/app-privacy-labels-messaging-apps/

Master
    Even though in EU WhatsApp should not be sharing date with Facebook and I do not have a Facebook account t it will not be long til WhatsApp goes the Facebook route of monetising the data anyway.
    So I think it time to move to another platform. Most likely will be Signal I think

Your WhatsApp messages are encrypted when you send them, but they're plain text when you enter them...

I've no doubt Zuckerberg will buy Signal eventually once enough people move to it. Money always the motivation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I've no doubt Zuckerberg will buy Signal eventually once enough people move to it. Money always the motivation.
    Signal was set up by one of the founders of WhatsApp who quit Facebook after falling out due to privacy concerns. After quitting he put $50m of his own money into Signal.

I'd say Zuck would try to buy it but I doubt the owner would ever sell it. Won't make that mistake twice.

All week I've had notifications on Telegram that people in my phone book have joined and I've have also downloaded Signal. I wonder what percentage of users in the uk will quit - 5%? Less?

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    We use a paper based dead drop system in my family.
    I have implemented similar only I print out adverts for local businesses they might be interested in on the same paper.

Personally I'm not sure if it's worth the move. Whatsapp has been part of Facebook for a while and yes they are opening up their privacy agreement (especially for countries outside of GDPR). However if you're concerned enough to move to Signal, then you should also quit most mainstream social media and maybe even stop browsing on the internet.

Maybe I'm less concerned about my personal information but then I don't really mind personalised advertising. As I'm typing this I'm glad I have a fitness class ad at the bottom of the screen rather than one of those earwax extraction ads that haunted me in the first half of last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradiddle View Post
    Personally I'm not sure if it's worth the move. Whatsapp has been part of Facebook for a while and yes they are opening up their privacy agreement (especially for countries outside of GDPR). However if you're concerned enough to move to Signal, then you should also quit most mainstream social media and maybe even stop browsing on the internet.

Maybe I'm less concerned about my personal information but then I don't really mind personalised advertising. As I'm typing this I'm glad I have a fitness class ad at the bottom of the screen rather than one of those earwax extraction ads that haunted me in the first half of last year.
    Would it worry you if insurance companies knew you'd Googled angina symptoms, for example?

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Would it worry you if insurance companies knew you'd Googled angina symptoms, for example?
    I suppose I would be if it starts affecting my insurance quotes, credit ratings etc. I google a few things of that nature but so far I haven't noticed that is has impacted me with insurance etc.

I do hope that my ISP notices that I'm looking for other broadband deals though because they're taking the piss with monthly fees.

You might also install Firefox and a decent AdBlocker. That should sort out those pesky adverts for earwax and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradiddle View Post

I do hope that my ISP notices that I'm looking for other broadband deals though because they're taking the piss with monthly fees.
    Good shout hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post

Now I know that we have now left the EU but believe (for the time being at least) our GDPR rules are still aligned.
    Yes, but as we're not part of the EU, it's up to us to prosecute Facebook ourselves if that was necessary- can't lean on the whole EU bloc as part of an EU prosecution.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Yes, but as we're not part of the EU, it's up to us to prosecute Facebook ourselves if that was necessary- can't lean on the whole EU bloc as part of an EU prosecution.
    Ah so fighting one on one Vs the whole squad behind you. Sounds like FB are banking on the UK not putting up a fight. That company gets worse by the day.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Ah so fighting one on one Vs the whole squad behind you. Sounds like FB are banking on the UK not putting up a fight. That company gets worse by the day.
    To add - the British vision on being a world leader in data protection is definitely there, so a potential 'Brexit benefit' as we can enact laws faster. I'm not a legal expert to know whether being 'alone' vs as a bloc is better or worse if it went to prosecution.

I deleted whatsapp a while a go when facebook bought it out as this was inevitable.

I am on telegram myself but signal and wicka? are other alternatives mentioned.

As an aside if you like podcasts michael bazzell is a good privacy/security listen:

https://inteltechniques.com/blog/202...w-episode-192/

Posted on October 16th, 2020

"EPISODE 192-Secure Messaging Comparison

This week I present a new secure communications comparison project which may help you identify the best private messenger products for email, text, voice, and video communications."

Blog Entries
    Installed Signal last week and will slowly move across over the coming weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    Installed Signal last week and will slowly move across over the coming weeks.
    Same here. The wife and my son have already moved.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche