closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko mm200 vs mm300 experiences

Seiko mm200 vs mm300 experiences

I love my mm300 (sbdx001), especially the level of finisb. Have been following the new releases like recent mm200 models. I see the line has recently been extended with slightly smaller models and updated hands which I must admit I really like (spb185 / spb187 also discussed in other threads).

This week I spotted the announcement of a green limited version of the latest iteration : spb207 or sbdc133, pics below.

With COVID its become harder to try watches ofcourse. And Seiko prices are also changing so genuinely interested how the mm200 compares to the mm300 quality wise (I mean finish, not specs).

I can see the specs but if I were to have both watches in my hands, would I spot many quality differences?

Or from my perspective as a mm300 owner, would a mm200 be a step down or considered similar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    IMO, Seiko made a great move with the new SPBs and have sort of created an MM300-lite. I actually marginally prefer the MM200 hands. But, as a fellow MM300 owner, I would find it too similar a move to add a 200, with the associated technical 'inferiorities' added in to that.

Have you considered the green dial Willard as a possibility? Nice alternative with its own bit of history amongst the Seiko aficionados.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The SBDX001 MM300 is one of my all time favorite's, I like everything about it and wore mine every day for over a year but I just can't like the dial, hands or bezel on the SPBs.

Master
    Calling Andrew Cregan 😁

May be worth watching this:
    Last edited by mtagrant; 10th January 2021 at 11:51.

I have the SPB079 "MM200" and have had both the SBDX017 and SLA021 MM300 variants. The MM200 is not as good quality as the MM300 but it is still very, very high quality and imo a more wearable watch. Both of my MM300's have gone and I'm itching for another but I still have my SPB079. I do wish it had different hands though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    IMO, Seiko made a great move with the new SPBs and have sort of created an MM300-lite. I actually marginally prefer the MM200 hands. But, as a fellow MM300 owner, I would find it too similar a move to add a 200, with the associated technical 'inferiorities' added in to that.

Have you considered the green dial Willard as a possibility? Nice alternative with its own bit of history amongst the Seiko aficionados.
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thaks for the suggestion. I have been looking at the Willard's as well, however the kind of green used on it doesn't really appeal to me in pictures. Looks more like "mud" compared to for example the vibrant green of the alpinist. Stunning series though.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    The SBDX001 MM300 is one of my all time favorite's, I like everything about it and wore mine every day for over a year but I just can't like the dial, hands or bezel on the SPBs.
    Which version of the mm200 are you referring to? I am looking at the latest ones which have hands quite similar to the mm300. The earlier ones had the pointy hands.
    see for example: https://timeandtidewatches.com/intro...spb185-spb187/

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Calling Andrew Cregan 

Thanks for that. He clearly discusses the rule of diminishing returns which is ofcourse very true. He reluctantly puts the mm200 at 89.9% of the mm300.

bah humbug 300 or nuffin !

also if it dont say marine master on the dial it aint a marine master ! this of course is just my own silly opinion and not at all like those swiss watch junkies with their open and closed 6's and red ink and other sillinesses

is there a spring drive version of a "proper" marine master ? an honest question as i am not geeky enough to actually know.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Goyne View Post

Which version of the mm200 are you referring to? I am looking at the latest ones which have hands quite similar to the mm300. The earlier ones had the pointy hands.
    see for example: https://timeandtidewatches.com/intro...spb185-spb187/
    I don't like the dials, hands or bezels (dislike the small pip) on any of those you link to, sorry.

Same with the likes of the SBDX017 for me the bezel having no pip ruins the look, but then again i'm old and set in my ways :)

Thanks. Very happy to have a marinemaster version mm300 with original triangle and creamy lume.

The itch never stops however :-). Someone posted close ups last week of the 187 and it looks to have a ceramic
    Insert. The green version just seems to work somehow to my eyes.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Ive had both, mm200 blue hole and now have a sbdx001 and sla023j1

For me I way prefer the mm300 I know price difference. But just prefer everything about the mm300,

I think mm200 is a very good watch and good stepping stone. If you havent had a mm200 or mm300 but wanting one, mm200 is a good watch to test if you like that style.

Ive sold my mm200 now which think says it all a Ive kept 2 mm300 and would love to add anther when funds allow! If they ever do a white faced mm300 if by it in a heart beat.

Mm200 very good watch for money and the dials are lovely

Through the years Ive owned around 10 MM300s from the 001 and 017, and my present 2020 version.
    Ive also owned 3 or 4 MM200s, and still have 2.
    So at the moment I have a 2020 MM300 and 2 MM200s.
    My personal preference is to wear them all on bracelet. Never been a fan of the supplied MM300 strap.
    As the question posted is about quality, and build standard, I would suggest that they are equal. I love wearing each model equally, and dont notice any quality differences.
    Obviously I would say this, but to me an MM200 and MM300 can easily live in the same collection.

I dont have one but have followed the SPB series and been very tempted by them - am pretty sure the insert is coated steel rather than ceramic tho.

I agree about the rumoured green version - I couldnt quite come to terms with the blue sunburst on the SPB187, but the green looks very good

MM300 is an all time classic and one of my favorite Seiko.
    MM200 is a great watch for the price and is even better on a Crafter blue rubber strap but is not MM300.
    Definitely a step down but not a huge step down.I would put it at 75-80% of MM300

Obviously if you are going to compare them, then the price should be taken into account

MM200 RRP 1000

MM300 RRP 2800

Cant speak for the quality, but having had a couple of MM300s and finding them just too chunky for my 6.5 wrists, Im looking forward to trying one of the SPB variants. Never liked the pointy handset of the MM200 or the lug to lug spec of 50mm. The smaller release of the SPB should be perfect.

There was a rumour early on of the green dial being available from March 21 which was the only reason I held off on the blue dial SPB187. Be nice to have this one in the collection as part of a mini 55th Anniversary trio. Intrigued to see how popular it will be. I purchased the blue limited edition Willard on release with discount and note these remain readily available. Held off acquiring the 62mas spb149 and despite the same 5500 unit run they sold out quite quickly in the UK and now trade for a premium. Thankfully a forum member passed a new one on to me. Unsure which side of the fence the green dial LE will fall on...........

I do like the MM300 :)

Another one of my minor watch regrets selling the gilt LE MM300. Took a hammering on importing the watch from Japan and the subsequent sale on the forum, now available for twice what I paid. Story of my life on TZ 😂

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbaddes View Post
    bah humbug 300 or nuffin !

also if it dont say marine master on the dial it aint a marine master ! this of course is just my own silly opinion and not at all like those swiss watch junkies with their open and closed 6's and red ink and other sillinesses

is there a spring drive version of a "proper" marine master ? an honest question as i am not geeky enough to actually know.
    I agree. Surprised the "MM200" name has stuck for this watch as it isn't an MM afaik? Feel like correcting people every time they use the term. I find the MM300 awesome whereas the other lesser SPB and SBDC seem quite generic and are lost among all the other mid range.

A few for comparison

Better bracelet on the "MM200" if that's your thing. The MM200 doesn't have an adjustable clasp but 97.50 at cousins will fix that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Better bracelet on the "MM200" if that's your thing. The MM200 doesn't have an adjustable clasp but 97.50 at cousins will fix that for you.
    Thanks for that. Can you expand a bit please? Lots of differences in Seiko bracelets and not always what I would expect (some cheap watches with great bracelets and vice versa).

By the way this is the post I just saw on a Dutch forum, someone posting pics of the 187. Third picture looks like bezel could be ceramic, however a comment just cleared that up as likely coated aluminium. https://www.horlogeforum.nl/t/na-mm2...pb097j1/303459

Also agree on the pricing comment, however I bought my MM300 new at nothing like GBP 2800 years ago. Hence my reference would simply be if I were to hold both would I perceive a quality gap. Guess I could accept slightly lower quality given the pricepoint however "hoping" production quality has also increased a bit over the years.

As for the name, fully agreed MM200 doesn't cover it now that Marinenaster is no longer on the dial however everyone seems to know what I mean.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Lovely collection!

They do wear very different, I think if you have smaller wrists mm200 is a better daily

Thanks for that. Can you expand a bit please? Lots of differences in Seiko bracelets and not always what I would expect (some cheap watches with great bracelets and vice versa).
    Almost every Seiko I've ever had including the SLA MM300 is generally the same. Nice watches but 98% of the budget/thought goes on the watch and the bracelet & clasp are very average at best.

The MM30 bracelet is nice enough but again Seiko put all of their effort into upgrading the watch and couldn't care less about the bracelet or clasp - it shows. Even the box it comes in is terrible. The MM200 doesn't have the ratchet clasp but it's the first Seiko in a while where it looks like they put some effort into the bracelet and it wasn't an afterthought or taken out of the spares box. The MM200 bracelet wouldn't suit the MM300 but the MM300 bracelet does need bringing up to spec imo - the watch deserves better.

I'm nitpicking but the MM300 competes with the Black Bay 41 models at that price. The SLA021is 20 less than the Black Bay Black on bracelet or if you don't want the bracelet the Black Bay 41 on leather is 220 cheaper. I'll probably get another MM300 but end up selling to make way for something else only to miss it and the cycle will repeat for many years to come...

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Calling Andrew Cregan 😁

I watched that a few days ago along with this:

https://youtu.be/l8ycPTB9vLg

I've owned many MM300's since their first production year back in 2000 and I'd still buy another one. I've never owned a MM200 but I have handled a few. The MM300 is my first choice when it comes to both models due to personal taste. I love the bigger case, the depth of the dial with a crystal that also looks the part. It all gels perfectly both visually and build quality wise. I just find the MM200's a little bland when compared to a MM300, but the price difference makes one worth considering.
    Last edited by j111dja; 10th January 2021 at 15:24.

I love my mm300 (sbdx001), especially the level of finisb. Have been following the new releases like recent mm200 models. I see the line has recently been extended with slightly smaller models and updated hands which I must admit I really like (spb185 / spb187 also discussed in other threads).

This week I spotted the announcement of a green limited version of the latest iteration : spb207 or sbdc133, pics below.

With COVID its become harder to try watches ofcourse. And Seiko prices are also changing so genuinely interested how the mm200 compares to the mm300 quality wise (I mean finish, not specs).

I can see the specs but if I were to have both watches in my hands, would I spot many quality differences?

Or from my perspective as a mm300 owner, would a mm200 be a step down or considered similar?

Thanks for posting those.
    I had an SPB105 which I adored but ended up letting it go as in the end it was a little too big and those hands...

Ive been hoping for a green and gold new gen MM200, glad to see one on its way!

I afraid In cant comment on the relative quality though, I cant imagine the price difference between the two MMs wouldnt be felt.

Well I have been very impressed with the quality, accuracy and shape of the MM200 SPB187.

Unfortunately it seems to have acted as some sort of gateway drug, as I seem to have been looking at the SLA021 with increasing desire. A watch I have poo-pooed in the past for being monstrously large. Oh bugger.

Seiko mm200 vs mm300 experiences

I have been able to try the green limited spb207. Very nice and a great size. The green dial seems to have some texture
    to it and its a great deep dark green.

One thing I am not sure of is the quality of the gold seconds hand. It looks rather flat and cheap. Something I dont perceive when the hand is in steel as the above 187. Hard to find decent pics but will try to find some to illustrate the point.

Best I could find. Guess its the shiny sides of the hands in steel that give it some 3D effect and which the gold hands lack.

Check out the red dot in the seconds hand.

Last edited by Glen Goyne; 14th April 2021 at 14:01.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Well I have been very impressed with the quality, accuracy and shape of the MM200 SPB187.

Unfortunately it seems to have acted as some sort of gateway drug, as I seem to have been looking at the SLA021 with increasing desire. A watch I have poo-pooed in the past for being monstrously large. Oh bugger.
    Same thing happened with me. Bought an SKX and was so impressed, really wanted to try a posher Seiko. Found an SLA021 and went for it. In short, I love it. Its chunky for sure but on rubber doesnt wear ANYTHING like a 44mm. I love its purposeful presence and mine runs at +2spd. Oh and the lume is off the scale. Proper quality movement in there too. Cant recommend highly enough.

Ive had the SLA023 for a short while, as I absolutely love the look, but I moved it on due to size. I really tried, but couldnt get on with the height.
    I have recently picked up the SPB187 from SC and Im in love with it. In fact, its so good I just bought another one for my brother. It seems these can be picked up for almost half the retail. This seems to me like quite a bargain actually.

I thought Id leap on one of these when they came out but the itch for one has been completely scratched by my SKX007 / 171 hybrid. I know the MM200 is a better watch but its too similar to something I already own, to earn a place in the watch box.

Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    Same thing happened with me. Bought an SKX and was so impressed, really wanted to try a posher Seiko. Found an SLA021 and went for it. In short, I love it. Its chunky for sure but on rubber doesnt wear ANYTHING like a 44mm. I love its purposeful presence and mine runs at +2spd. Oh and the lume is off the scale. Proper quality movement in there too. Cant recommend highly enough.

I may be in negotiations with my conscience, savings account and an on-line supplier who has discounted RRP by 15%. :)

Quote Originally Posted by PawG View Post
    Ive had the SLA023 for a short while, as I absolutely love the look, but I moved it on due to size. I really tried, but couldnt get on with the height.
    I have recently picked up the SPB187 from SC and Im in love with it. In fact, its so good I just bought another one for my brother. It seems these can be picked up for almost half the retail. This seems to me like quite a bargain actually.

Congratulations, I was watching that one for a while but a good work month meant I bought new. I'm glad to see it's gone to a good home and will have a sibling to play with :) Mine's running at +5 a day which does me very nicely.

I love the case shape, dial and even the bracelet is not bad... while the clasp is meh.

I have a Miltat adjustable ratchet bracelet on my Strapcode jubilee, fitted to my Pepsi turtle. Annoyingly the SPB187's clasp holes at the end of the bracelet appear to be 1.6mm in diameter and the spring bars from the Miltat are too think to pass through. I have 1.5mm diameter spring bars which are too thin and 1.8mm spring bars which are too thick. Grrr.

I love the case shape, dial and even the bracelet is not bad... while the clasp is meh.
    I haven't handled the new MM200 models but I have the MM300 ratcheting clasp on my SPB079 MM200. Works well. About 95 Inc postage from Cousins.

I haven't handled the new MM200 models but I have the MM300 ratcheting clasp on my SPB079 MM200. Works well. About 95 Inc postage from Cousins.
    Thank you, I've seen a bloke on YouTube do that mod. It looks good. One for the future 

Congratulations, I was watching that one for a while but a good work month meant I bought new. I'm glad to see it's gone to a good home and will have a sibling to play with :) Mine's running at +5 a day which does me very nicely.

I have a Miltat adjustable ratchet bracelet on my Strapcode jubilee, fitted to my Pepsi turtle. Annoyingly the SPB187's clasp holes at the end of the bracelet appear to be 1.6mm in diameter and the spring bars from the Miltat are too think to pass through. I have 1.5mm diameter spring bars which are too thin and 1.8mm spring bars which are too thick. Grrr.
    Really nice watch. Probably my most exciting recent purchase.
    Works on many straps too.

Journeyman

Bargain. Love mine

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Id be interested to know where you can pick one up at almost half price or was that just the one on SC, best Ive seen
    is 845 from watchco.

Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    Id be interested to know where you can pick one up at almost half price or was that just the one on SC, best Ive seen
    is 845 from watchco.
    Well, RRP is 1060, so maybe not exactly half price, but close enough to justify haha these are a bargain at anything under 800, I think. I got one off SC and liked it so much that I bought another one on eBay few days later to give to my brother for his birthday. He is absolutely loving it too.

Well, RRP is 1060, so maybe not exactly half price, but close enough to justify haha these are a bargain at anything under 800, I think. I got one off SC and liked it so much that I bought another one on eBay few days later to give to my brother for his birthday. He is absolutely loving it too.

OK thought I was missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    OK thought I was missing something.
    To be honest, Id pay the 850 from watchco, if I knew that Id be keeping the watch. It is really that good. To me, the feel and overall experience is a level above the SPB143 I had last year.

Just to drop another option into the mix, you could always pick up the older MM200 and throw in a different handset. I was very close to ordering one of the newer SPB versions but still couldnt quite bring myself to spend 850 on it (as in my head thats almost half of an mm300). Worked out a lot cheaper and Im happy with the result

Are those hands from a MM300? I thought MM300 hands were shorter than that.

Are those hands from a MM300? I thought MM300 hands were shorter than that.
    Yeah the mm300 hands seem a touch short for the dial based on images Ive seen. These ones are aftermarket SLA039 style ones that I took a punt on but think they work quite well

To be honest, I’d pay the 850 from watchco, if I knew that I’d be keeping the watch. It is really that good. To me, the feel and overall experience is a level above the SPB143 I had last year.
    I'd recommend Watcho. They had the best price I could see for the SPB187 and offered me an attractive 15% off my SLA021. They had to order it from Seiko, as they had none in stock, it arrived before the expected date, and they checked it over for me before sending it out for next day delivery. Excellent service and communications from them.
    Last edited by dkpw; 29th April 2021 at 13:42.

I'd recommend Watcho. They had the best price I could see for the SPB187 and offered me an attractive 15% off my SLA021. They had to order it from Seiko, as they had none in stock, it arrived before the expected date, and they checked it over for me before sending it out for next day delivery. Excellent service and communications from them.
    My issue is the current fund is 600 plus Im struggling to pay 850 when you can pick up an SPB079 at close to 400.
    Would have gone for one of these but despite people saying it wears small I know if I buy something 44mm and over 50mm lug to lug it will be too big and Ill end up flipping it.

Any excuse to post this. SPB079 on the SPB077 bracelet with the MM300 clasp. Best of all worlds for me.

Here is my take on it

https://youtu.be/cyK8cj8u5hI

Quote Originally Posted by bazza. View Post
    Here is my take on it

https://youtu.be/cyK8cj8u5hI

Thanks for sharing. Very well done comparison. An interesting update would be to throw an SPB185 or SPB187 into the mix. I have been surprised at how much I am enjoying my SRP777 Turtle lately, and am wondering if a Sumo or maybe the 185 would be a good step up.

I was mucking about with my phone, and took a quick shot of the MM300 next to the MM200.
    They are both superb watches, although obviously the SLA021 is ahead in terms of quality, which is particularly noticeable in regards to the dial, the indices, lume and hands. Having worn the MM300 for the last three weeks, the SPB187 feels tiny on the wrist. :)

Quote Originally Posted by williemays View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Very well done comparison. An interesting update would be to throw an SPB185 or SPB187 into the mix. I have been surprised at how much I am enjoying my SRP777 Turtle lately, and am wondering if a Sumo or maybe the 185 would be a good step up.
    The SPB is a big step up from the SRP777 but the Sumo isn't a big enough step up IMO as it has the same bracelet and clasp as the SRP models and no sapphire. The King Turtle is interesting and definitely a step up from the SRP777, just a shame it has the Cyclops and I'm not into the dials. I would love a King Turtle SRP777.

When I had the SRP777, SPB079, SBDX017 and later SLA021 versions of the MM300 I ended up never really wearing the SRP777.