closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 16030 DJ36 - Black dial with gold fluted indices?

16030 DJ36 - Black dial with gold fluted indices?

Hello,

I'm looking at an 80's Rolex Datejust 36 16030 and it's got a dial that I've not seen before. I wanted to check to see if its correct, as I cannot find another example.

Black dial, with gold fluted indicies and a gold handset.

Thank you in advance!

I’m fairly sure that they didn’t mix a gold indices dial with a steel case in that era, but I’m sure some a lot more knowledgable than me will confirm.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    the dial is from a 16013, if you service at RSC they will force you to replace dial with white gold index.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    As mentioned, at best it’s made up from parts from another watch.

Potentially a dial and handset swap from a 16013, maybe movement as well?

Sometimes if it’s a water damaged movement and dial, people will swap straight-in without needing to strip/remove etc (so could be done by a fairly crack handed wastchmaker who doesn’t have the skill to do it, or alternatively someone doesn’t want to pay the labour charge for a proper job.....

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    the dial is from a 16013, if you service at RSC they will force you to replace dial with white gold index.
    And the handset.

Thank you, Gents! It's so obvious now that I'm looking at the two tone models.

It's a shame as the combo actually looks really quite smart. The birthyear watch hunt continues

Grand Master
    On the face of it the watch looks pleasing, but it’s a franken and that devalues it very significantly.

Trying to buy a 30-odd year old Datejust is a fraught process, the majority are very tired examples. Stretched worn- out bracelets and bezels with over- polished fluted peaks are typical, I can take one glance and walk away from these. I’m fortunate to own probably the best 1989s bi- metal datejust in existence, I bought it years ago from the original owner who claimed it had only been worn a dozen times, it looks and feels brand new and as such it’s a rare beast. It doesn’t get worn but I enjoy owning really nice examples of older/ vintage watches so it’s going nowhere.

Best Datejust to buy will have had a new bezel, new bracelet, and lightly refinished case with good edges. As ever my advice us to buy the best available, forget about box and papers, and forget the birth- year crap, it should be all about the watch itself.