closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Apple saving the planet.

Apple saving the planet.

Never heard such rubbish in all my life, so they’re no longer supplying the plug or earbuds because they apparently
    go unused. Increasing profits under the guise of saving the planet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But it’s ok- if you want the power adaptor or earbuds they can be shipped separately 🤣

Absolute nonsense, and to do it after a recent change to USB C validates it as such. The vast majority of households will not have a USB C power adapter so will end up buying one. My sister in law just got an iPhone SE as a Christmas present. Her husband wasn't sure what to do so bought the phone, case, plug, headphones and separate Belkin wireless charger too. All from Apple. How people fall for it I don't know.

I agree with them not providing cheap earphones or chargers on these wireless charging models. In our house we've 3 iphone users, we've got ipads, ipod touch and enough chargers to fill a skip, and loads of pairs of wired earphones nobody uses.

Apple saving the planet though, that's BS.

Master
    Thing is, people always denigrate their included (well, used to be included) earbuds but I always thought the sound quality of them was tremendous. No use during any kind of activity / sport admittedly but really with no background noise they are surprisingly good IMHO and I like to consider myself moderately snobby about audio quality and have several pairs of audiophile grade headphones!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Apple: Preserving the planet for the next generation. Of Chinese slaves.

This would be a bit more valid if they reduced the price of their products by respective amounts.... :D

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyzzj View Post
    This would be a bit more valid if they reduced the price of their products by respective amounts.... :D
    Yep!

Master
    Try not making your products so hard to repair!!! Complete hypocrisy.

Blog Entries
    Just got the new iPhone SE. Great phone except the rounded edges makes it harder to grip.
    Don’t give a toss about earphones or charging cables. Don’t use earphones and got loads of charging cables, so fine by me to save the planet or make more profit. Did I say it’s a great phone....?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Never heard such rubbish in all my life, so they’re no longer supplying the plug or earbuds because they apparently go unused. Increasing profits under the guise of saving the planet.
    A complete ****take even by their standards. The new phone isn’t even the old USB type.
    Last edited by David_D; 11th January 2021 at 00:19.

Quote Originally Posted by chicaneuk View Post
    Thing is, people always denigrate their included (well, used to be included) earbuds but I always thought the sound quality of them was tremendous. No use during any kind of activity / sport admittedly but really with no background noise they are surprisingly good IMHO and I like to consider myself moderately snobby about audio quality and have several pairs of audiophile grade headphones!
    I thought it was just me! - I always found them more than adequate for the job, most cheap headphones sound very harsh and the Apple earbuds are a rare exception

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Just got the new iPhone SE. Great phone except the rounded edges makes it harder to grip
    Not just me then, it’s the slippiest(?) phone I’ve ever had, just put mine in an armoured case because it wasn’t going to last 2 minutes in my butter fingers

Profit from protecting the environment = perfect!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Absolute nonsense, and to do it after a recent change to USB C validates it as such. The vast majority of households will not have a USB C power adapter so will end up buying one. My sister in law just got an iPhone SE as a Christmas present. Her husband wasn't sure what to do so bought the phone, case, plug, headphones and separate Belkin wireless charger too. All from Apple. How people fall for it I don't know.
    I don’t know why people don’t plan their purchases better, that’s for sure. Why buy a new plug - most middle class houses must have loads of them by now.

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    I don’t know why people don’t plan their purchases better, that’s for sure. Why buy a new plug - most middle class houses must have loads of them by now.
    Most houses have loads of Apple iPhone plugs unused sat in a drawer, I agree, but the new iPhones have USB C cables, not USB A cables and I don't many households, middle class or otherwise, have spares of these. You can go buy one from Anker or Belkin etc but you'll still need to buy one. It won't work with any of the 10 you and I have from previous years.

Seems sensible not to include earphones and such like. Many people don't use them anyway so they have a full set when they sell them on.

Master
    Most houses have loads of Apple iPhone plugs unused sat in a drawer, I agree, but the new iPhones have USB C cables, not USB A cables and I don't many households, middle class or otherwise, have spares of these. You can go buy one from Anker or Belkin etc but you'll still need to buy one. It won't work with any of the 10 you and I have from previous years.
    The old style still works. As charging port is lightning.

However, no excuse not to include a cable!

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    The old style still works. As charging port is lightning.

However, no excuse not to include a cable!
    Two apple plugs here. One USB C, the other USB A. Good luck fitting the cable from a 2020 iPhone into an old iPhone plug. Nearly everyone will have 5 or more spare iPhone plugs laying around, hardly any will have a USB C plug laying around, let alone spares. This is my point.

Master
    I see your point. But the 2020 one can use old plug AND old cable.

I know the old cable will work btw but Apple USB cables begin composting the second you unbox them. Unless you put your phone on a desk to charge and don't use it while it's charging they're mangled in a year. If Apple cared about the environment that much they'd make the same cables Anker manages to make for almost half the price.

Would be nice if the factories their stuff was made in didn't have suicide nets around them too. Be nice if they cared.

I worked there and every single "Earth Day" we all got free green t-shirts to wear for one day only and every iPad in every apple store in the world has a green iPad case fitted to it - for one day - then the cases our collected by the stock team and sent back to the warehouse. All the packaging chucked in the bin. They must love the environment very much.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ah, OK, USB-C to Lightning is a niche product but any old USB-A (?) to Lightning would work wouldn’t it? I also wouldn’t buy wireless charger etc from Apple store - the Anker units from Amazon must be cheaper and work very well on my iPhone 11.

Your Apple stories certainly don’t paint a flattering picture of them.

Most people have the standard USB sockets but these are no good with the newer devices. I have a 18 month old iPad pro which has the USB C connection so I’d be ok however as been stated before if you’re a household of old apple products you’re stuffed unless you buy a new adaptor.
    As others have said I can just understand the earphones but don’t get the adaptor.
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 10th January 2021 at 22:56.

Master
    Blog Entries

Apple saving the planet.

I don’t miss the headphones, I have loads unused from previous phones. I have unused chargers too, the change to USB C has been happening for the past few years, all MacBooks, USB ports in the car etc. The problem is a lot of manufacturers are still using traditional USB.

I do think they could have chucked a charger in though for the first switch to C.

As mentioned above if you do want to buy a charger, don’t get the Apple get the Anker nano.

I still use an old charger and cable to slow charge over night.

Master
    We were a completely android family until my daughter asked for an iPhone for Christmas. I was torn between the iPhone 11 and 12 but when I realised there would be £40 extra for the earphones and charger on the 12 the Yorkshireman in me reared its head! I got the 11 from John Lewis which came with charger and headphones plus a 2 year warranty, which is only 12 months if bought direct from Apple. (That's where Apple care comes in sir, that'll be another £150 please).

Complete money making exercise, I was considering an SE for myself but will stick to Android now.
    Last edited by Craig; 11th January 2021 at 16:27.

If you really want to use your old charging plug with a new iPhone Lightning>USB-C cable then you can buy an adapter to put in it quite cheaply, USB-A male > USB-C female. However you then lose the fast charging facility of the newer phones/pads. When I got my 12 ProMax recently I bought a longer Belkin USB-C>Lightning cable from Amazon, thicker and sturdier than the supplied cable, reduced to £12. I also bought a Belkin charging plug with both USB A and C ports, a combined output of 30W, 18W for the C and 12W for the A. Using this plug and the USB-C port the 12 does indeed add a 50% charge in 30 mins as advertised. Anker do a braided USB-C cable with a lifetime warranty.
    F.T.F.A.