closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Michael Palin's coffee table

The "Coffee Cart No.1", at £31,000 made my eyes water. It instantly reminded me of this.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    The "Coffee Cart No.1", at £31,000 made my eyes water.
    What were you doing with it, Mag?

They also have a Wobbly Ring for sale at only £2.7k.

In any case, I've fired off an email to Modern W@nk and we'll see what they come back with.
    Last edited by Carlton-Browne; 14th January 2021 at 20:05. Reason: f
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    What were you doing with it, Mag?

They also have a Wobbly Ring for sale at only £2.7k.
    You can get a cream for that.

Disappointed to see they don't sell any genuine old rope.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    We've had a fairly standard middle eastern copper tray coffee table at Schloß Carlton-Browne for a number of years and which I've increasingly been getting fed up with. The replacement of same has been taxing me over the Christmas period and a favourite hasn't emerged however I spotted this last night and I can't seem to find it anywhere (perhaps I'm using the wrong words).

Can anybody help to identify the table over his right shoulder? I realise that, in all probability, it's either been made for him especially at the behest of the King of Norway or it's from Ikea (in which case I don't want it) but I'd at least like to know.

Help!
    A good person to ask for alternatives would be Selwyn Holmes. He and his wife own Dansel in Abbotsbury, Dorset and a better wood place I have yet to find. Lovely people and great stuff.
    https://www.danselgallery.co.uk/
    David

Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    A good person to ask for alternatives would be Selwyn Holmes. He and his wife own Dansel in Abbotsbury, Dorset and a better wood place I have yet to find. Lovely people and great stuff.
    David
    I was there not long ago, and it's full of really beautiful woodworking, furniture and generally lovely stuff. My drink is currently on a stunning spalted beech coaster from there!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    David
    My wife has a small fortune in wooden fruit and cats from there !!

We've had a fairly standard middle eastern copper tray coffee table at Schloß Carlton-Browne for a number of years and which I've increasingly been getting fed up with. The replacement of same has been taxing me over the Christmas period and a favourite hasn't emerged however I spotted this last night and I can't seem to find it anywhere (perhaps I'm using the wrong words).

Can anybody help to identify the table over his right shoulder? I realise that, in all probability, it's either been made for him especially at the behest of the King of Norway or it's from Ikea (in which case I don't want it) but I'd at least like to know.

Help!
    Been watching Staged again I see Mr Carlton-Brown!

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    Been watching Staged again I see Mr Carlton-Brown!
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I must have been the only person to get the reference. Series 2 not as good I thought but I imagine that comment could be written in a review of just about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I don’t read your posts as generally they are too clever for me!

Plus we only started watching series 2 this week!

Series 1 was excellent and laugh out loud funny!

Well, we have a development, give that man a coconut

Quote Originally Posted by Kaffe View Post
    He may well use it as a coffee table but it looks more like it was designed to be a seat or a stool.
    The nice people at Contemporary Applied Arts came back to say that, although they were not certain, they thought it might be from a range they sold in the early noughties by Barber & Osgerby. This one nugget of information allowed me to identify it rapidly as a Hula Stool

There is some suggestion that versions might have been made as a coffee table as well as a stool. I can see that it would work as a table though not the type that one can put a glass down on - not sure I can live with that but it could work. In any case they are not in production so it's a case of refining a few search terms and seeing what comes up. It's clearly also a fine looking stool and could also be used as a footstool for the sofa in the study if it doesn't pass muster for coffee table duty. One is likely to turn up at somewhere like 1stdibs but would clearly attract a Modern W@nk premium.

Many thanks for all of the suggestions - I'm not planning to find one that resembles the Hula as I'll just find that both annoying and frustrating. I certainly don't lack for ideas given the 2 weeks or so I've been researching the subject.
    Last edited by Carlton-Browne; 23rd January 2021 at 15:36. Reason: e

Well, we have a devlopment, give that man a coconut

The nice people at Contemporary Applied Arts came back to say that, although they were not certain, they thought it might be from a range they sold in the early noughties by Barber & Osgerby. This one nugget of information allowed me to identify it rapidly as a Hula Stool

There is some suggestion that versions might have been made as a coffee table as well as a stool. I can see that it would work as a table though not the type that one can put a glass down on - not sure I can live with that but it could work. In any case they are not in production so it's a case of refining a few search terms and seeing what comes up. It's clearly also a fine looking stool and could also be used as a footstool for the sofa in the study if it doesn't pass muster for coffee table duty. One is likely to turn up at somewhere like 1stdibs but would clearly attract a Modern W@nk premium.

Many thanks for all of the suggestions - I'm not planning to find one that resembles the Hula as I'll just find that both annoying and frustrating. I certainly don't lack for ideas given the 2 weeks or so I've been researching the subject.
    Of no particular relevance, although Osgerby related, a couple of weeks ago, missed out on an Osgerby Loop coffee table made by Isokon. It was a display model being sold on Ebay by Isokon. Pity, I shouldn’t have been so stingy bidding. I like bent ply and have an Osgerby Isokon Loop shelf in the hallway.

Coffee table, in the end bought vintage Ercol light elm.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

So an expensive future purchase...

Are they same team behind the design of the London Olympics torch?
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    So an expensive future purchase...

Are they same team behind the design of the London Olympics torch?
    Yes, it appears they were (it was news to me). Perhaps not their finest hour...

I know lots of your time has been spent looking for stools so I'm very glad to hear this one has been identified.

Master
    That’s interesting to know, I had a bit of a look and it would seem that Cappellini were the manufacturer. There is no doubt they are expensive, they won’t have been cheap originally from them and it looks
    like they are going for over 2k these days.