closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Woodburner fuel, what do you use?

Master

Woodburner fuel, what do you use?

I know there's a few on here that have a wood burner and I'm curious as to what you burn on them and how you find it for heat etc.
    I've always burnt kiln dried logs but keep looking at alternatives, those compressed logs etc.

Blog Entries
    We just buy a load of logs and we try to get hardwood ones if possible. Put them in a log store and dry them at least 12 months if possible, never found anyone locally supplying them dried enough ready to burn.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I cut and split my own, from whatever we have had fall or needs taking down.
    Over the last few years that has included oak, ash (dieback will ensure this is prominent in the coming years), beech, birch and even leylandii.

There is a lot of baloney spoken by "those that know" about what's best or not.
    It is very simple.
    If it is properly dried (mine is all air ried, not kiln-dired, it seems a wate of time trying to burn a carbon neutral fuel that has had a load of energy wasted on it) it will burn well.
    Ash is about the only yhting that burns okay green, but it takes ages to catch.
    When dry, if it is light it will be gone very quickly, if it is heavier, it will last.
    Oak is heavy, ash is lighter, leylandii is featherlite and disappears quickly.

Given dry material, it is the rate of air into the stove that dictates the heat from it, not the species of log inside.

I split it as soon after felling or fetching as possible.
    It is air dried in an open-sided store for at least 8 months
    Into the garage for another 2
    We have vertical log racks either side of the fire that hold enough for about 4 evenings. Storage there is the final drying.
    Dave

Master
    Kiln dried logs for me. Tried coal (ours is multi-fuel) but found it too messy. With our prices locally (North Wiltshire) logs are the best value option for us.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

We mainly use locally-felled wood, which if wet we store for 6-12 months.

At this time of year though we supplement with Lekto hardwood heat logs and when off to bed we add a couple of their night briquettes, the latter allow you to just add wood in the morning and it starts up immediately again.
    (Their natural firelighters are good too).

https://lektowoodfuels.co.uk

HTH.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Kiln dried logs from a local supplier, which are mostly hardwoods. We have a thatched roof and need to keep everything as clean as possible to avoid tar build up/chimney fire risk. The installer recommended the logs we use.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I cut and split my own, from whatever we have had fall or needs taking down.
    Over the last few years that has included oak, ash (dieback will ensure this is prominent in the coming years), beech, birch and even leylandii.

There is a lot of baloney spoken by "those that know" about what's best or not.
    It is very simple.
    If it is properly dried (mine is all air ried, not kiln-dired, it seems a wate of time trying to burn a carbon neutral fuel that has had a load of energy wasted on it) it will burn well.
    Ash is about the only yhting that burns okay green, but it takes ages to catch.
    When dry, if it is light it will be gone very quickly, if it is heavier, it will last.
    Oak is heavy, ash is lighter, leylandii is featherlite and disappears quickly.

Given dry material, it is the rate of air into the stove that dictates the heat from it, not the species of log inside.

I split it as soon after felling or fetching as possible.
    It is air dried in an open-sided store for at least 8 months
    Into the garage for another 2
    We have vertical log racks either side of the fire that hold enough for about 4 evenings. Storage there is the final drying.
    Dave
    This but on a smaller scale.
    We use an open fire as opposed to a log burner but seasoned wood ,as described, is the key. Indoor drying to finish things off pays dividends.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    We mainly use locally-felled wood, which if wet we store for 6-12 months.

At this time of year though we supplement with Lekto hardwood heat logs and when off to bed we add a couple of their night briquettes, the latter allow you to just add wood in the morning and it starts up immediately again.
    (Their natural firelighters are good too).

https://lektowoodfuels.co.uk

HTH.

R
    You will have to forgive my ignorance here as I don’t have a log burner, but how will those dry? They are pretty much open to the elements.

Blog Entries
    Kiln dried logs ( dry being the watchword) here but thanks Ralph for the heads up on the night briquettes just ordered from

https://www.calidologs.com/product/n...tes-twin-pack/
    Last edited by mart broad; 9th January 2021 at 16:06.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

As others have said, air dried hard wood is best I think. I built a sectioned store that holds roughly 3 years and kindling.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post

As others have said, air dried hard wood is best I think. I built a sectioned store that holds roughly 3 years and kindling.
    Impressive!

I've been burning logs on wood burners for 25 years and every one of those years I've promised to sort out next year's stacking and storage. Still promising...

Master
    We should have a "Show us your woodstores" thread!

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

Woodburner fuel, what do you use?

We use kiln dried mixed with seasoned in our woodburner. The mashed wood briquettes things that you can get are good too and are cheaper than wood if purchased in bulk but have to be kept dry. I’ve seen people using shite wet wood that they’ve collected on the beach or in the local wood and they wonder why their flu and wood burners are shagged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would agree with splitting the wood when fresh and then air drying. Spent a few hours today splitting some beech rings which have been air dried for over 2 years. Not terribly hard but definitely easier when fresh.

Master
    We’re quite lucky in that a local farmer seasons decent hard wood and delivers £120 for 2 meter cube bags (circa 2 ton) we generally get through 3-4 deliveries a year , I should really build a bigger store but I can’t be bothered lol. For a night I’ll generally throw some coal on I’m off to look at those night logs now

For me, it’s generally kiln-dried birch and oak, supplemented with air-dried windfall and dropped trees (currently some fruit woods; we have a *lot* of Cypress and Doug Fir stacked, but I prefer it in the fireplaces as wary of the resin content for the wood-burner). We also burn peat, which is great in the stove.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    You will have to forgive my ignorance here as I don’t have a log burner, but how will those dry? They are pretty much open to the elements.
    The back of the store (shiplap) faces south-west, which is the prevailing direction of the rain.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.