closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fun reliable cheap car do they exist?

Master

Fun reliable cheap car do they exist?

Another what car thread I afraid guys, I’m debating on buying a second car for occasional use weekends odd day going to work etc. Budget is around £5k I’d always wanted a corrado vr6 since being a teenager but they’re just too pricey , I’ve looked at r32 golfs but again too much for a decent one . Soooo I’ve found Audi TT mk1s 3.2 can be had at sensible money and a bit of a design classic imo.
    any other suggestions to look at not an mx5 they just don’t do it for me and probably not a Ford either, the other criteria is pretty reliable which probably sadly rules out alphas, I don’t want it too Chavy hence no ST focus or civic don’t know. I love VAG cars always have but I maybe wearing blinkers, throw up your suggestions it maybe something I’ve never considered and I’ve gone a bit can’t see the wood for the trees looking at autotrader lately lol.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    the other criteria is pretty reliable which probably sadly rules out alphas,l.
    I was going to suggest an Alfa GTV, the 90's version. I nearly bought one a few years ago. I've always liked the styling and love the engine sound. I think a good one is within budget and they really aren't as unreliable as they are made out to be.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    I was going to suggest an Alfa GTV, the 90's version. I nearly bought one a few years ago. I've always liked the styling and love the engine sound. I think a good one is within budget and they really aren't as unreliable as they are made out to be.
    I’ve always loved the gtv they look and sound amazing but the reliability does worry me

Stock answer, but this time it’s appropriate: Subaru Legacy 3.0R Spec B.

Be warned though, they drink like you (& me) at a McrGTG!

Master
    Blog Entries
    The TT is a decent choice. Personally, I’d go 1.8T though.
    Or maybe an Mk1 SLK.

Get the TT .
    It’ll complete your transformation into a hairdresser .

MR2? Not the best looking car but they can be fun. They are pretty much bullet proof.
    Edit Subaru Legacy... as mentioned.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 8th January 2021 at 20:34.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Stock answer, but this time it’s appropriate: Subaru Legacy 3.0R Spec B.

Be warned though, they drink like you (& me) at a McrGTG!
    I actually looked at these because of you lol are they that good? I’ve never driven one nor am I likely to given the current rules so I’ll be buying blind lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Get the TT .
    It’ll complete your transformation into a hairdresser .
    And that’s the reason I’m hesitant lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    MR2? Not the best looking car but they can be fun. They are pretty much bullet proof.
    Edit Subaru Legacy... as mentioned.
    Good shout sir I’ll have a mooch

Fun, extremely practical, somewhat daft and a VAG to boot: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...01803274993799

Or maybe a Volvo C30?

I actually looked at these because of you lol are they that good? I’ve never driven one nor am I likely to given the current rules so I’ll be buying blind lol
    I genuinely love mine, it’s a manual saloon, the estate is a bit more practical (if important). I’d personally avoid the automatic (I’ve driven an Automatic 3.0L Outback, another great car, but the manual is more fun).

If it wasn’t for lockdown I’d give you a shot of mine.

They have a couple of minor weak points, but nothing major and easily fixed (exhaust and engine belt tensioners). 18mpg though...and very expensive tax post 2005 (mine just sneaks in the lower bracket).

Master
    Blog Entries
    Actually, changed my mind.
    Get one of these.
    Proper 90’s JapAttack and rare too.

Master
    I genuinely love mine, it’s a manual saloon, the estate is a bit more practical (if important). I’d personally avoid the automatic (I’ve driven an Automatic 3.0L Outback, another great car, but the manual is more fun).

They have a couple of minor weak points, but nothing major and easily fixed (exhaust and engine belt tensioners). 18mpg though...and very expensive tax post 2005 (mine just sneaks in the lower bracket).
    https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...to=2021&page=1

Looks a lot of car for the money, the estate would be amazing although compared to a TT even saloon would be considered practical lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    Fun, extremely practical, somewhat daft and a VAG to boot: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...01803274993799

Or maybe a Volvo C30?
    Wow, if it wasn’t for lpg (bad previous experience ) I’d be seriously considering that

I do miss how much fun my old Toyota aygo was. Much closer to the original mini than the one bmw makes now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    The TT is a decent choice. Personally, I’d go 1.8T though.
    Or maybe an Mk1 SLK.
    Why the 1.8 ?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Why the 1.8 ?
    Just nicer to drive really. Plus it’s the ‘original’.

Master
    Actually, changed my mind.
    Get one of these.
    Proper 90’s JapAttack and rare too.

I did look at GT4s but they’re up around 10k now

Master
    Just nicer to drive really. Plus it’s the ‘original’.
    Ah right I’ve only ever driven a 3.2 years ago and bought a rover 220 turbo coupe instead which I loved right up until in true rover form the head gasket went lol

Master
    Blog Entries
    I did look at GT4s but they’re up around 10k now
    Are they really?!? Bloody Hell.

Wow, if it wasn’t for lpg (bad previous experience ) I’d be seriously considering that
    4 extra cylinders then? https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...02011196274768 Not sure if fun though. Still... 400+ bhp

Master
    Blog Entries
    There’s none of the early 90’s ones on the trader at the minute. To be honest, they’re not the best handling thing but look so, so cool.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampoc View Post
    4 extra cylinders then? https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...02011196274768 Not sure if fun though. Still... 400+ bhp
    Oh wow the opposite of fun but wow that must be the perfect motorway cruiser and will probably only go up in value from there but just not fun

Reliable depends alot how you drive, service and look after a car in my experience.

You could give 2 people the same car from new and i would bet the one that thrashes it about or is rough with it will have far more reliability issues.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Reliable depends alot how you drive, service and look after a car in my experience.

You could give 2 people the same car from new and i would bet the one that thrashes it about or is rough with it will have far more reliability issues.
    This is true to a point but there are also cars that seem much more prone to issues , the rover coupe I had years ago being a famous example for blowing head gaskets. The VAG 3.2 engine does seem to be one of the better ones likewise with Nisan Toyota etal

Non-standard wheels would put me off that one.

Edit: wow I knew they were rare cars but there are only 4 currently advertised on Auto Trader...some ‘aspirational’ pricing too!
    Last edited by Kirk280; 8th January 2021 at 21:48.

CLK55 AMG for that money.

Master
    Take a punt on a 986 Boxster

Craftsman
    To be fair the 3.2 TT would be a good choice and a nice car to drive for the engine, but depending on how much practicality you need I would look at bmw 125i/130i’s

Craftsman
    Scirocco?

Blog Entries
    I can't believe that no one has suggested an MX-5 yet!

Fun, reliable and cheap - quite a difficult combination nowadays.

Master
    Fiat Coupe?

Life’s too short to worry about reliable...

Considering a Golf V6 4 Motion myself since the R32 prices are climbing fast.

Rx8.

Cheap to buy, thirsty and you'll need an engine rebuild sometime, but fantastic to drive.

Cheapest way to great handling you will find.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Honda Accord Coupe 3.0 V6. Loved that car. £700

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captaincook View Post
    To be fair the 3.2 TT would be a good choice and a nice car to drive for the engine, but depending on how much practicality you need I would look at bmw 125i/130i’s
    Just me and a laptop bag when used for work we have other cars for family duties it’s literally a toy , the wife’s parting shot when I just showed a decent one I’d found was “I don’t really like you having one but why don’t you just buy another motorbike” which may have changed the game somewhat lol

Master

Mine's an auto which I have mixed feelings about, if I ever go back to my office it will be useful, but no doubt the manual is more engaging. But later low mileage manuals are like hens' teeth alas. Anyway I have the MX-5 and motorbike for that.

That said, as it's a face lift it has the sport sharp setting and in that mode and with the box in manual it's good fun, and definitely feels decently rapid contrary to what some of the 0-60 figures might suggest.

The handling though is just lovely, none of this numb steering drive-by wire feel of most modern cars.

I love mine.

Craftsman
    Bmw e46 330 auto cabriolet, one of bmw’s best efforts and they are creeping up in price so get it now and hold on to it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    As the past owner of a Focus ST and two Civic Type Rs, I have never thought of myself as a chav - though maybe I am lacking self-awareness ;)

Although the FK2 and FK8s might be OTT and many of the original Type Rs have been modified and are excessively loud, I think the eight generation Civics are far from chavvy and they tick every box you have set out (other than being a Type R!).

This one is a tiny bit over budget but looks lovely (and relatively restrained compared to the more recent models, especially in Silver) https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/10936444 Apart from anything else, you should get a very reliable car that will keep its value.

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    Although the FK2 and FK8s might be OTT and many of the original Type Rs have been modified and are excessively loud, I think the eight generation Civics are far from chavvy and they tick every box you have set out (other than being a Type R!).

This one is a tiny bit over budget but looks lovely (and relatively restrained compared to the more recent models, especially in Silver) https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/10936444 Apart from anything else, you should get a very reliable car that will keep its value.
    Totally agree with this. Brilliant cars, great to drive and totally reliable.
    Even the 1.8S is pretty quick. I'd buy another no hesitation. 👍🏻

Master
    Have you considered a VW Lupo GTi

We are on our second one here & always enjoyed owning them, Mrs had a 1.8T TT and that was much faster but not as much fun, Lupo is tiny but more rear space than the TT if that needs any consideration

You don't see that many around, I think VW only sold about 900 or so?

They aren't a super hot hatch like the Clio etc but they are really well built, nice interior & some nice weight reducing touches-aluminium body panels, thinner glass etc, it's a simple GTi formula, lightweight with a nice 16v engine

The engine is pretty zippy & the driving experience is fun

Pretty good review here:
    https://www.evo.co.uk/volkswagen/211...d-buying-guide

A potentially nice one on a rare colour over at Club Lupo:
    https://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index....2004-for-sale/

Quote Originally Posted by meridian View Post
    Bmw e46 330 auto cabriolet, one of bmw’s best efforts and they are creeping up in price so get it now and hold on to it.
    Great cars. The e46 isn't known for reliability though but I think the 3 litre petrol is the most dependable engine.

Best to go manual as auto boxes were a weak point.

Prices for the e46 330i are rock bottom and will only go up as it'll be a future classic.

I'd also recommend the next generation BMW e90 3 series. I was mocked for suggesting an e90 330d on a similar thread but they are a performance bargain with masses of torque and can be easily remapped to nearly 300 bhp. The 3 litre diesel is also considered the most reliable e90.

Or there's the twin turbo e90 335d or the 330i / 335i if it has to be petrol.

Always go for msport spec as they look so much better.

https://www.whatcar.com/news/bmw-3-s...hat-car/n21379
    Last edited by watchcollector1; 9th January 2021 at 12:41.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    As the past owner of a Focus ST and two Civic Type Rs, I have never thought of myself as a chav - though maybe I am lacking self-awareness ;)

I’d completely forgotten about that shape my bad , I was thinking of the earlier one that was always seen chaved up with drainpipe exhausts etc, and the newer shape which looks like a space ship . You’re right certainly worth a look

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    Great cars. The e46 isn't known for reliability though but I think the 3 litre petrol is the most dependable engine.

Best to go manual as auto boxes were a weak point.

Prices for the e46 330i are rock bottom and will only go up as it'll be a future classic.

I'd also recommend the next generation BMW e90 3 series. I was mocked for suggesting an e90 330d on a similar thread but they are a performance bargain with masses of torque and can be easily remapped to nearly 300 bhp. The 3 litre diesel is also considered the most reliable e90.

Or there's the twin turbo e90 335d or the 330i / 335i if it has to be petrol.

Always go for msport spec as they look so much better.

https://www.whatcar.com/news/bmw-3-s...hat-car/n21379
    I’ve had a 335i ( was it E92 coupe? ) when they first came out loved the car but it only just got beaten by my rangerover sport on the most unreliable car I ever had , ate coil packs and turbos for fun and I got shut before warranty expired.

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    I can't believe that no one has suggested an MX-5 yet!
    OP said in his first post - No MX-5

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Rx8.

Cheap to buy, thirsty and you'll need an engine rebuild sometime, but fantastic to drive.

Cheapest way to great handling you will find.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk

My mate builds MX5 race cars amongst other ventures, he recently started an RX8 Trackday project.
    For not a lot of money get a fire breathing monster :)

Craftsman
    Just me and a laptop bag when used for work we have other cars for family duties it’s literally a toy , the wife’s parting shot when I just showed a decent one I’d found was “I don’t really like you having one but why don’t you just buy another motorbike” which may have changed the game somewhat lol

Oh that’s a nice suggestion. I had a similar dilemma, but found I couldn’t enjoy the bike for two reasons, the first being it took too long to get ready (sports bike & dressing like a power ranger) and second for the short period of time I had for “fun“ meant that I was trying to enjoy the bike with cold tires, which of course can be fun although with a couple of kids at home, the sensible head said this isn’t fun :)

For me a good Audi, VW or BMW from the era and cloth you are looking, seems to be the best compromise. Yes you could get an RX8 or a Honda type R, ST, etc but for me they are not the same.

Master

Fun reliable cheap all boxes ticked.
    Yours for 4K if you are interested.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captaincook View Post
    Oh that’s a nice suggestion. I had a similar dilemma, but found I couldn’t enjoy the bike for two reasons, the first being it took too long to get ready (sports bike & dressing like a power ranger) and second for the short period of time I had for “fun“ meant that I was trying to enjoy the bike with cold tires, which of course can be fun although with a couple of kids at home, the sensible head said this isn’t fun :)

For me a good Audi, VW or BMW from the era and cloth you are looking, seems to be the best compromise. Yes you could get an RX8 or a Honda type R, ST, etc but for me they are not the same.
    Getting ready isn’t too bad I’ve still got my all in one Klim suit take no time at all, if we ever go back to normal at some point a bike would be great for traffic but if it stays like this traffic isn’t a concern. My mum has hit the roof because my kids grassed me up lol she hates bikes my uncle was killed at Oliver’s mount when I was a kid , so my bikes have always been a problem for her.

I keep coming back to an Audi TT despite it being a hairdressers car just for the engine lol everything else seems to be holding value too much . Some cracking suggestions though guys I’m reading up on the civic shape I’d forgotten about

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    OP said in his first post - No MX-5
    And when has that ever stopped an MX-5 being suggested on these type of threads?

;-)

Audi TT
    225 bhp
    Buy a rag top if it suits

Make sure it’s had the cam and water pump done

Manual every time

I’ve had 6 of them over the years - awesome fun
    Still look great
    Parts are cheap
    Tyres are cheap

Have a look on the TT Forum - there’s norm some decent ones for sale