closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'll probably be catching Covid 19 tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    You seem a wonderful, caring, loving son. Take care, be proud of yourself, I bet your mum is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    +1.

Maximise the ventilation, take as many precautions as you can. Do what you need to do.

Take care of your mom.

Thanks everyone. The ambulance came;

Her heart beat is irregular
    Her temp is through the roof
    Blood pressure is lsightly low
    Blood sugar is fine

They've given her paracetamol and oxygen and taken her to the hospital

I'm just on my own worried sick about her. just hoping that she can fight this and we'll get over this

When she asked for her slippers it queued me to give her a Xmas pressent, as we haven't celebrated xmas yet.. i got her some lovely champneys soft boots, - felt nice being able to give that to her at least! Bless her

sorry I am babbly now - in a complete state and probably boring the tears off you :)

I just thought I would put it out there as this forum is a gold mind of info, - just in case something rings with someone - never know what comes back when you through things out there

Best wishes

Quote Originally Posted by PJdB View Post

Blood sugar is fine

I'm just on my own worried sick about her. just hoping that she can fight this and we'll get over this

When she asked for her slippers it queued me to give her a Xmas pressent, as we haven't celebrated xmas yet.. i got her some lovely champneys soft boots, - felt nice being able to give that to her at least! Bless her

sorry I am babbly now - in a complete state and probably boring the tears off you :)

I just thought I would put it out there as this forum is a gold mind of info, - just in case something rings with someone - never know what comes back when you through things out there

Best wishes
    In the circumstances it sounds like your mum is in the best places.
    All the very best to you and your mum
    FFF

All the best to your mum OP. She is definitely in the best place now.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries

Blood sugar is fine

Best wishes

Good luck; despite my sad tale above I can balance that with another one of hope ... my 75 yo father-in-law is in a care home will long term Parkinsons; he got hit hard with Covid in the first wave and we thought he was going to die ... but he pulled through and is now back to his former self ...

There is no pattern with this awful disease it just seems to me to be complete luck of the draw ... although clearly they are better at treating it now.

The beeb did a decent program on boosting the immune system.
    I think it was wednesday 9pm.

Vit D and ecanacia came out as preventative vitamins to take.

take care

She is in the best place for her care at the moment and you need to try to trust the experts. It is natural to worry, if this place offers a distraction that's a good thing and I'm positive that you are not boring anybody. Please make sure you look after yourself, it is easy to neglect your own needs at times like this.

There are some really good tips on managing anxiety here: https://www.mind.org.uk/information-...e-for-anxiety/

Best wishes
    M
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Very best wishes to you and your mum. Glad she is getting the help required and fingers crossed for a full recovery.

OP Goodluck nd best wishes with your mum .
    Hope she recovers fully and comes back soon 👍
    I recently lost my mum due to covid .
    She was 72 and healthwise okish . She had asthma and thats where covid attacked the most . Her lungs were as if they are filled with water . Breathing difficulties and very low oxygen levels
    It is indeed strange disease with so many unanswered questions .
    I care for both my parents and was more worried bout my dad who is 83 and have parkinsons and dimentia, Bronchiectasis . Somehow dad survived but quality of life is really gone bad after covid .
    I caught the virus aswel and i just lost smell and taste . Nothing else ... have lost couple of friends and uncle due to covid ( no underlying health issues )

We need to be carefull as noone knows how its going to affect you or how severe it will be ...
    stay safe all and protect others and yourself 👍

Thank you everyone again.

I am so sorry to read this turbo. Thank you for sharing.

I have received a call from the hospital to say that the xray comparison from yesterday to today is that covid seems to be quite severe, and that they are very concerned for her. Very concerned also that her blood pressure is so low, - they asked me about her general fitness and whether she needed any help to do anything, to which I said no, she walks up and down stairs, doesn't require a stick to walk, - due to lockdown she doesn't play outdoor bowls or play darts in a team like she used to, - she's been very inactive, but she still manages to do everything herself.

They then asked if Mum had ever expressed an opinion about intensive care, - she said that most people are never the same after intensive care, - to which i told her that we've never talked about it. I couldnt quite take in all the things they are trying now however they are hoping that these things will help her, however, I guess she wanted us to consider the option if it came to that.

My Mum is also 72.

I have had reoccurring, haunting thoughts about my parents passing away in the past and it fills me with a dread that is unbearable, and I have honest believed in the past that I just would not be able to cope. As weak as that probably sounds.

At the moment I dont know what I am feeling, my head is spinning and I almost feel numb, - I guess I just haven't processed it, dont want to entertain the worse case scenario. I think a part of me hoped that that day would never happen

I cannot stop my mind wondering whether she'll will make it.. googling for how many vulnerable people recover, but it seems hopeless as there's just no pattern

Thank you everyone again.

I am so sorry to read this turbo. Thank you for sharing.

I have received a call from the hospital to say that the xray comparison from yesterday to today is that covid seems to be quite severe, and that they are very concerned for her. Very concerned also that her blood pressure is so low, - they asked me about her general fitness and whether she needed any help to do anything, to which I said no, she walks up and down stairs, doesn't require a stick to walk, - due to lockdown she doesn't play outdoor bowls or play darts in a team like she used to, - she's been very inactive, but she still manages to do everything herself.

They then asked if Mum had ever expressed an opinion about intensive care, - she said that most people are never the same after intensive care, - to which i told her that we've never talked about it. I couldnt quite take in all the things they are trying now however they are hoping that these things will help her, however, I guess she wanted us to consider the option if it came to that.

My Mum is also 72.

I have had reoccurring, haunting thoughts about my parents passing away in the past and it fills me with a dread that is unbearable, and I have honest believed in the past that I just would not be able to cope. As weak as that probably sounds.

At the moment I dont know what I am feeling, my head is spinning and I almost feel numb, - I guess I just haven't processed it, dont want to entertain the worse case scenario. I think a part of me hoped that that day would never happen

I cannot stop my mind wondering whether she'll will make it.. googling for how many vulnerable people recover, but it seems hopeless as there's just no pattern
    I'm very sorry to read this. Again, seems like they are being proactive and prepping for if things took a turn for the worst. Your mum will be made comfortable as she battles this with caring nurses around her to support. Statistically most people like your mum who catch this recover from it. Best to keep the hope and take care of yourself in the mean time

Master
    Hi PJdB,

Very sorry to read of these developments. Thinking of you and your mum.

There have been lots of developments in treatment as knowledge has grown about how best to treat this virus, and I am sure your mum will be receiving the best possible care and that she’ll be kept comfortable while she is in hospital.

Look after yourself in the meantime. It may be worth asking for a lateral flow test locally as you have had significant contact - most councils are offering this for asymptomatic individuals. And of course if you develop any symptoms yourself, isolate and arrange a PCR test.

I'll probably be catching Covid 19 tomorrow

Is it even worth me keeping my distance? Even if we stay in seperate rooms for the majority of the time, we're still occupying the same house, - so I am presuming that it's hugely likely that i'll get it? I guess I could completely stay seperate for most of the time, and mask up, ventilate etc, - I could *try* avoid catching it... or is that futile? And then I am inclinded to want to spend quality time with my Mum anyway (!? :D
    A young lady who works for me has Covid right now (since Tuesday) and is at home with her elderly mum who has a lot of underlying health issues. They are maintaining complete separation in the house with my colleague staying in her room as much as possible, minimising time in shared facilities and being ruthless about masks and wiping down every surface. So far it is working but she said it’s been a hell of an ordeal this week. Luckily my colleague is recovering quite quickly from fairly mild symptoms. Good luck, I don’t envy you this difficult situation.

Edit. I just read the rest of the thread. Really very sorry to read about your mum’s worsening symptoms.
    Last edited by PipPip; 9th January 2021 at 11:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    No i wasn’t, I was responding to the first post. That came further on in the thread.
    I've only replied to this thread once before...

OP, I hope your mother makes a good recovery and you keep well, but worrying won't help in either case (although I'm sure it's easier said than done in the situation, I guess I am a little fatalistic generally, que sera...).

The suggestion of getting a test sounds a good one, at least it may set your mind at ease about yourself.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 9th January 2021 at 11:12.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Best wishes for a quick and full recovery.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I've only replied to this thread once before...

OP, I hope your mother makes a good recovery and you keep well, but worrying won't help in either case (although I'm sure it's easier said than done in the situation, I guess I am a little fatalistic generally, que sera...).

The suggestion of getting a test sounds a good one, at least it may set your mind at ease about yourself.

M
    I wasn’t replying to you.
    Out of respect to the Ops mum I’ll leave it there.
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 9th January 2021 at 14:46.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thinking of you and your Mum. I hope she makes a good recovery and that you remain well. ATVB Jon

OP I wish your mum a speedy recovery. A mentor of mine who's around 70 made a full recovery from Covid a few months back (with severe symptoms as well). My thoughts are with you and your family.

Yesterday morning I was told by Respiratory Lead for Covid who discussed my Mum with the Lead of Intensive care:

Main thing is that she was on the maximum amount of oxygen, but her oxygen is still low.
    Steroids for her inflamed lungs.
    Anti-bacs

It's their opinion that in my Mum's case, Intensive Care / Breathing Machine will not help her. (and Mum did not want that anyway)

They said her best chance is to see if she can start breathing for herself. So it's just a case of giving it time, and seeing if she improves, or goes downhill.

They said that her odds of getting through were really not great, but she does have a chance of course.

So that was somewhat heartbreaking.

Yesterday evening she had a jacket potato, ice cream, and 3 coffees during the day. She was speaking to people on the phone and enjoying looking at the goings on out the window. Doc said that Covid makes people feel better than they are however, which has pros and cons I guess.

This morning she sounded worse and said she felt worse, could not sleep (spent the night adding stuff to her Will), - she was coughing blood (bright red, so fresh, probably from coughing).

This evening she sounded better, and felt better, - today she's been reading her kindle, looking out the window and having a few telephone conversations.

I have had some lovely conversations with her, - this evening's was very upbeat, positive etc.

So is there any sense to be made!!?? The last sounds positive, - but then there's that old tale, "you've got to get better to get worse".

I trying very hard to remain positive that she can beat this.

(She is 72, - can do everything herself, but suffers from copd/asthma... - she is somewhat overweight and hasn't been as active last year as previous.)

Thank you for your positive wishes :)

Hoping for the best for you and your mum, PJdB. I can't imagine what you're going through right now but hope it remains on a positive trajectory.

All the best to you and your Mum; I am thinking of you both. She sounds positive, which is half the battle.

Thank you :)
    I got tested today, from there I went to the hospital, and chatted to Mum whilst I could see her on the 2nd floor... she is sitting on a seat today, and actually managed to stand up, - eating tomato soup..

the doc told her today (what they told me a few days ago) - that if she starts to decline, it could happen quickly at which point they would call my sister and me in to see her.. i think this made her think that the doctors were anticipated that that would happen.. - i could tell between the lines that this talk influenced her positivity, - of course I did my very best to change that and we had a lovely conversation... - i just hope it doesn't affect her. it's day 3-4 now since the big symptoms
    Much love

Master
    Blog Entries
    It sounds like a rollercoaster but heartening to read about the ups - very best wishes to you both.

That's probably something that they need to tell everyone since it's quite unpredictable and they've probably seen a few bad cases. Good that you've steered the conversation away though.

Wishing your mum for a speedy recovery and for both of you to stay strong. Stay safe

Wishing your mum a comfortable and speedy recovery, and to your mental health too which is now taking a battering.
    you've done all you could physically and emotionally, time for you to heal and hope you get to talk to your mum as much as possible to distract her from the situation you find yourselves in - dont forget to look after yourself - she is in the best hands possible and yes the timing is awful but you couldn't have done more. You are a success at being an excellent son and carer.

Thank you

Two bits of good news.

- Her O2 Sats have increased by 2%.
    - She's passed solidly for the first time since symptoms showed.
    I think Mum has surprised herself how strong she is.

After I got myself tested yesterday morning at the 'drive thru' I went to the hospital, rang Mum, found her window where she was sitting (yes sitting!) - she even stood up briefly to wave. Really wonderful moment to be able to see her! & Mum was sounding positive. She's eating, reading, taking her Vits & resting

Obviously I am self isolating, I'd be devasted if I thought I had passed this on. Of course Mum is the priority however I would like to ask, is there anything that I can do for myself if I have this virus and I am in the incubation period?:
    I'm eating reasonably healthy; Fruit, veg, salmon, eggs, steak, granary bread, good fats supplement, Vicks First Defence, D2, K2, C, Echinaforce, Zinc, Magnesium, trying to drink lots of hot drinks, some with lemon & honey

One thing is that I am not sleeping well and obviously I am stressed, - so I am supposing this isn't good for my immune system??

I want to give myself the best available chance to continue to support Mum, now and when she gets home

Just to end on a secondary positive note, on the worse days of my life, I have grown closer to some of my family, & finally found peace in areas where there was previously hurt. Love & health to you all - stay very safe x

Thank you

Two bits of good news.

After I got myself tested yesterday morning at the 'drive thru' I went to the hospital, rang Mum, found her window where she was sitting (yes sitting!) - she even stood up briefly to wave. Really wonderful moment to be able to see her! & Mum was sounding positive. She's eating, reading, taking her Vits & resting

Obviously I am self isolating, I'd be devasted if I thought I had passed this on. Of course Mum is the priority however I would like to ask, is there anything that I can do for myself if I have this virus and I am in the incubation period?:
    I'm eating reasonably healthy; Fruit, veg, salmon, eggs, steak, granary bread, good fats supplement, Vicks First Defence, D2, K2, C, Echinaforce, Zinc, Magnesium, trying to drink lots of hot drinks, some with lemon & honey

One thing is that I am not sleeping well and obviously I am stressed, - so I am supposing this isn't good for my immune system??

I want to give myself the best available chance to continue to support Mum, now and when she gets home

Just to end on a secondary positive note, on the worse days of my life, I have grown closer to some of my family, & finally found peace in areas where there was previously hurt. Love & health to you all - stay very safe x
    Glad to read positive news, fingers crossed it's looking good for her, and you are certainly doing all the right things. I think we could all learn from your last paragraph, my best wishes to you and her.

Thank you

Two bits of good news.

Get a test?

Positive news. I hope your mum continues to improve. Just keep her as upbeat and positive as possible to stay strong.

Hopefully you’ve avoided contracting, but if not just keep eating as healthily as possible, with plenty of fluids etc. and try to get as much rest and good sleep as possible, I know that’s easy to say, but.. - you might be ok, but then you might need all your strength.

All the best

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    Get a test?
    I understand that he is awaiting the results of a test already undertaken.
    It's just a matter of time...

I just spoke to Mum - her oxygen has been as high as 90, but I think it's down to 87. Before she went in it was 99 which is amazing, above average I think (not an expert!) Unfortunately she didnt sleep that well last night, worrying for the worse. I did what I could to keep her positive over the phone :)

Does anyone happen to know, how long after exposure will you test Positive, - would it be straight away?

Does anyone happen to know, how long after exposure will you test Positive, - would it be straight away?
    A few days I'd say

Some advice here (probably most relevant part halfway down page under the heading, “If you live in the same household as someone with COVID-19”.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...d-19-infection

From what I’ve read elsewhere, the optimal time for testing is 5-7 days after exposure. It seems 5-6 days is the average incubation period. I guess that’s why anyone who is a close contact of a confirmed positive case has to isolate for the full 10 days even if they were to get a negative test result within that timeframe.

Hope your mum has had a better day and you’re also holding up. Thoughts and prayers with you both.
    Last edited by Mr Tetley; 12th January 2021 at 22:49.

Thank you so much - that's great info. So it's more unlikely to be a negative test if you're in the early incubation period.

My Mum is actually doing okay, her O2 levels have increased a little and she is in good spirit

Thank you and everyone for all the lovely words and thoughts. I may not respond individually to you but it really does mean a lot when I read them.

Really pleased to read of the progress in the right direction. I'm thinking of you.
    M
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    I’m sure everyone here is rooting for you and your mum.

Sounds to me like you’re both on the path out of this. A few more days and the light at the end of the tunnel gets closer. Godspeed

How is your Mum doing OP? We are all thinking of you!

Hey - thank you for your thoughts :)

It was this time last week that it all kicked off. Amazing to think back that the Respiratory Lead for Covid, and the Intensive Care Lead did not think she would be here before last Tuesday.

Her O2 has gone up considerably, all her "Vitals" are okay, they are mainly concentrating now on reducing the inflamation of her lungs, then it's just a case of making sure her house is tidy before she comes home !

Obviously she is not over yet, and with all things Covid, nothing is certain.

Mum is getting somewhat fed up, and she has felt more lethargic the last two days...

All positive, healing vibes directed Mum's way very gratefully received.

Great news mate

Good news ... wish you and mum goodluck and speedy recovery 👍

Master
    Glad to read this positive news, PJdB.

Craftsman
    Nice to hear some good news. Fingers crossed things continue to go well!

Not so quick update; Mum has surprised all the doctors and nurses, they really did not think she would make it past last Tuesday. She's still in hospital and has some way to go, but at least it's in the right direction. Her O2 levels continue to rise, but still not there yet, - reducing the inflamation is the biggest concern at the moment.

I tested myself 3 times: 3, 7 & 9 days after exposure. First 3 tests were Negative, last one Positive.

So here I am, 11 days after exposure, 2 days after symptoms. I've had a sore throat and eczma on my hands. Think the eczma is from washing, alcohol gel and stress, - I wonder whether the sore throat is from all the talking on the phone. Today I woke up and felt wiped out, so I just stayed in bed until 2pm.. - I do feel like I have "caught something", - definitely don't feel 100%... but so far, that is it. I am obviously worried whether this will develop further. I have continued with all the vits, zinc, eating healthy, plenty of fluid, etc, - going to try and rest.

Unfortunately some of my family have behaved very negatively towards me which has added to the stress of it all, - and also I found out that whilst Mum rejected seeing me at Christmas (even a quick visit to deliver xmas dinner at end of garden) from fear of Covid (fair enough), I have now found out that she secretly went around my sister's house for lunch, with full knowledge that my sisters kids had confirmed cases of Covid in their school. It turned out that indeed the children did have Covid, - my sister & her husband had Covid, and it's highly probably that's where my Mum caught it from given the timings & the fact that otherwise Mum had been shielding.

I understand that it was the pull of the grandkids on not because Mum loves me any less! (although my sister is somewhat manipulative and does use the kids to work my Mum (not just my opinion)... so I don't blame my Mum, but I cannot help at times feeling like a bit of a mug, - i've put my health at risk, my career on hold, my exams I was studying for on hold, my entire life, and my Mum tried to hide it from me (I won't reveal how I found out). Of course I dont regret it for a second, if I was not here I truly believe that she would have died, given her rapidly decreasing O2 levels and her stubborness to ring for help (doesn't like to bother anyone, plus, Covid plays mind tricks and makes you feel better than you are).

Of course I am baffled by my sister & her husband at how they'd even ALLOW Mum into their home, let alone persuade her to come over, knowing their kids were exposed and that my Mum has COPD emphysema & asthma. Think it was illegal too.

Anyway I realise the most important thing now is to get Mum home healthy, and to look after myself too.

On a positive note, other members of my family have been amazing...absolutely wonderful, I am so grateful... also friends etc - I am very lucky.

The contrast between wonderfully positive supportive people, and negative people seems to be huge.

It's been the most traumatic time of my life. I have learnt a LOT of lessons. I am hoping that we can all pull through, make family amendments (although some of my family seem very entrenched), and can enjoy a more positive future going forward.

Wtf. In what way have they behaved negatively to you? If anything you should be ripping a strip off your stupid sister. Families !

Glad your mum continues to improve and I hope your own symptoms remain mild.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Wtf. In what way have they behaved negatively to you? If anything you should be ripping a strip off your stupid sister. Families !

Glad your mum continues to improve and I hope your own symptoms remain mild.

My sister lives around the corner from Mum and has been delivering food to her all last year, I am 1.5 hours away.

I am not a fan of Facebook I simply use it to network as I run a side business/hobby, - BUT - I did use it to flag for help before I went to Mum's (of course I consulted 111 also (and this forum). Actually I didnt even mention on FB that it was my Mum - I just said 'family member'

My Aunt was nasty to me on the phone saying "you shouldnt have posted that on FB, your sister has been delivering food all year, you do this one thing and it sounds like you are asking for praise!"

She also mentioned that apparently I "had a go" at my Mum recently, - she's right, I did raise my voice and regret it. I was upset when Mum told me it's too risky to say hi to me from the bottom of the garden, but was willing to accept Xmas dinner my sister who's kids had confirmed Covid cases. Mum didn't tell her-sister/my-aunt the full story, - just that I "had a go at her".

Both my Aunt and her husband have removed me from FB (i've not heard from them at all), and their daughter/my-cousin has completely ignored me throughout this entire ordeal. - bear in mind that they are all 5 mins down the road from me here at my Mum's. I am lucky that I have a fantastic g/f, Dad, a different Uncle, and cousin, + friends, who have been wonderfully supportive
    Last edited by PJdB; 19th January 2021 at 19:24.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Funny thing families, we all have relatives that do strange things. Just let it pass.

All the best.

and also I found out that whilst Mum rejected seeing me at Christmas (even a quick visit to deliver xmas dinner at end of garden) from fear of Covid (fair enough), I have now found out that she secretly went around my sister's house for lunch, with full knowledge that my sisters kids had confirmed cases of Covid in their school. It turned out that indeed the children did have Covid, - my sister & her husband had Covid, and it's highly probably that's where my Mum caught it from given the timings & the fact that otherwise Mum had been shielding.
    Well that’s some plot twist.

Best of luck to you and your mum getting through this.

Master
    My advice - let it be. Lots of unwise decisions during this stressful time to be expected. Don’t hold grudges which you may regret sometime down the road...