closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'll probably be catching Covid 19 tomorrow

I'll probably be catching Covid 19 tomorrow

My Mum had a fall, just come out of hospital, lives on her own, in a bit of a bad way and needs looking after. She was tested, twice, yesterday, for Covid-19. Both, different, tests were positive, although she isn't displaying any symptoms (yet?). I'm going to stay with her tomorrow for a good few days at least to look after her, so I am guessing that i'll catch Covid-19 too. Weirdly, I am not OVERLY worried (maybe i'm just a fool), I've read good things about keeping your immune system high, Vit D and Zinc are worthwhile supplements.

..anything else? Just wondered if there was anything else I should keep in mind.

And of course for Mum, any advice on how to look after her in regards to this mysterious virus? Or simply should I just make sure she's happy, unstressed, eating healthy, maybe some Vit D & Zinc too?

Thanks for any constructive advice I may of missed, and for reading.

My experience tells me I wouldn’t be so quite cavalier however I’d do everything you can to limit the transmission. I’m assuming after your contact you’ll isolate for the necessary time?

Make sure you keep the fluids in your mum and get her to eat even if she starts to feel poorly. My main issue was exhaustion in part brought on by zero food intake for 4 days. The psychological aspect was another issue for me and some reassurance would also help
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 7th January 2021 at 22:25.

Master
    Sorry to hear this.

I’d suggest eating well, vitamins and keeping both your spirits up in some way.

Fingers crossed for you both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear this.

Don’t underestimate the risk ... I have lost a friend and another is very ill. Both in their 50s with no health issues and fit.

It’s really changed my attitude towards the risk of catching it.

The friend who died posted he’d tested positive on Facebook on Saturday. Died Tuesday.

It sounds like essential support but you are no use to your Mum if you fall ill. I'd wear a decent quality face covering, wash hands loads, keep your distance whenever possible and keep the place well ventilated.
    Last edited by Mr Curta; 7th January 2021 at 22:37. Reason: typo
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Absolutely I wil have to isolate after.

I am so sorry to hear that Montello. And quite the wake up call.

Yes, maybe I am being naive. I have been so worried about my Mum, that I just immediately feel so much better knowing that I will be there to look after her.

This virus is so confusing, it seems to hit some people hard, and many others don't know they've got it. I am 45, I keep myself pretty fit, - although I do have asthma.

I'm sort of stuck between a rock and a hard place, - but on balance, I feel that I would rather be there for my Mum, given that the vast majority of people seem to get over it.

The zero food thing, - that's how my Mum fell I think.. .unusually, she didnt eat all day - only an apple, felt dizzy and fell. Maybe that was a C19 symptom?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like your mum needs help, just do everything you can to protect yourself.

The impact of the virus seems completely random. Most healthy people are ok. But being healthy is no guarantee of mild symptoms.

Look after yourself and good luck.

I’m super cautious now, I have also ordered some PPE just in case me or the wife get a bad case and one can safely nurse the other. Probably over cautious but thats my take now.

Master
    I don’t think you are being naive- the vast majority of people who get it have very mild or even no symptoms. If you have no underlying health problems I wouldn’t worry. Do what you feel is right for you.

Is it even worth me keeping my distance? Even if we stay in seperate rooms for the majority of the time, we're still occupying the same house, - so I am presuming that it's hugely likely that i'll get it? I guess I could completely stay seperate for most of the time, and mask up, ventilate etc, - I could *try* avoid catching it... or is that futile? And then I am inclinded to want to spend quality time with my Mum anyway (!? :D

Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    I don’t think you are being naive- the vast majority of people who get it have very mild or even no symptoms. If you have no underlying health problems I wouldn’t worry. Do what you feel is right for you.
    Sorry but I don’t think that’s the best advice....it makes no difference whether you’ve got health issues or not, you have to assume you’ll be badly affected and do everything you can do to limit the transmission

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PJdB View Post
    Is it even worth me keeping my distance? Even if we stay in seperate rooms for the majority of the time, we're still occupying the same house, - so I am presuming that it's hugely likely that i'll get it? I guess I could completely stay seperate for most of the time, and mask up, ventilate etc, - I could *try* avoid catching it... or is that futile? And then I am inclinded to want to spend quality time with my Mum anyway (!? :D
    My friends daughter was positive and the other 3 in the house managed to avoid getting it through careful measures. Different rooms, cleaning, ppe and ventilation.

It’s not a certain you will get it if you take measures ...

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    My friends daughter was positive and the other 3 in the house managed to avoid getting it through careful measures. Different rooms, cleaning, ppe and ventilation.

It’s not a certain you will get it if you take measures ...
    Ah - that's good to know. I think that'll be my plan then - thank you. I just read so much about how contagious this new strain is

You can be in the same room as her but stay well away, mask up, keep the room ventilated, wipe down and do all you can.
    As others have said, don’t assume you’ll get it and don’t stop bothering.
    best of luck to you

I tested positive November 16th and for a week I felt pretty rough, for three or four days REALLY rough, within two weeks I was back to how I was before the positive test.

My wife also tested positive the same day and the virus really hit her, three days after testing positive she was very ill and the fourth night was terrible I have never seen anyone as ill, the next day she was hospitalized for two days, small blood clot, dehydrated, struggling to breath, vomiting, cough, she thought she was having a heart attack with the pains in her chest and she said her back felt as though it was being broken and other stuff.

She never ate a bite of food for ten days but I made her drink and drink, she struggled to get from the bedroom to the bathroom for four weeks or so and even now after all this time she is only about 85% and certain symptom's ease off and then come back, I think she has what they call long covid.

I have to admit I thought some of it was being exaggerated in the news etc until I witnessed it first hand, now I know its not something to ignore.

ps: One of my nephews tested positive after a work mate went down with it and he didn't have any symptom's at all not even a runny nose.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Sorry but I don’t think that’s the best advice....it makes no difference whether you’ve got health issues or not, you have to assume you’ll be badly affected and do everything you can do to limit the transmission
    This advice could save your life. Literally.

Personally, I would at least try to avoid catching it or minimise any initial viral load you come into contact with. Good PPE (medical grade mask, gloves, apron?), hand washing, avoid touching your own face (easier said than done), ventilation, separate rooms and limited to essential contact while your mum remains infectious would be wise imho. If you did get ill you may not be able to help at all, but let’s hope it doesn’t come to that. If you can avoid it you’ll be in a much better position to help your mum when she’s no longer infectious. I’m certainly no expert but I imagine it’s how I would act in a similar situation.

Hope your mum makes a full recovery and you stay well.

Master
    That’s your opinion and that’s fine. I stated my opinion (and wasn’t saying it was best advice) based on the fact that the vast majority of people who will get it won’t die or even get particularly ill, especially those under 50.

I agree however if he is worried then mask up, sanitise and ventilation will go some way to mitigate him catching it.

A work colleague was off for 3 weeks with C19, was in quite a bad way though wasn't hospitalised, has a wife and a daughter in her late teens at home and neither of them contracted it. They took all reasonable precautions including him never being in the same room as someone else, windows open for 5 mins after he left a room before anyone else entered, hand washing, contact points cleaned and so on - they were able to do that, will you be more 'hands-on'?
    Last edited by CardShark; 7th January 2021 at 23:20.

That’s your opinion and that’s fine. I stated my opinion (and wasn’t saying it was best advice) based on the fact that the vast majority of people who will get it won’t die or even get particularly ill, especially those under 50.

I agree however if he is worried then mask up, sanitise and ventilation will go some way to mitigate him catching it.
    Its not just MY opinion it’s based on fact, until you’ve had it and survived you don’t know if you’ll survive. You stated that if you don’t have any underlying health issue that you wouldn’t worry. I’m saying that’s not the best information to be telling someone
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 7th January 2021 at 23:22.

We thought we were going to be in a similar situation this week, Mother in law fell at our house in Christmas day, broke her hip, and is now in a rehab ward, we've been expecting her to be sent home any day, but we found out today (while I was at her house with a site surveyor for a stairlift company) that the rehab ward will keep her in until she's able to live alone, with no help. It's a massive relief. There's a few quid to be spent getting her house ready for her return, but it'll be worth it if she doesn't have to stay here, and we don't have to stay there!

Master
    Its not just MY opinion it’s based on fact, until you’ve had it and survived you don’t know if you’ll survive. You stated that if you don’t have any underlying health issue that you wouldn’t worry. I’m saying that’s not the best information to be telling someone
    Yep- I didn’t say it was the best information, it was my opinion which is also based on the fact that the vast majority of people do not die particularly those in their 40’s and under. We take risks in all elements of life- even taking the vaccine carries a risk and, in my opinion if I were him I would be happy to take the risk.
    The overwhelming majority who become ill and die have underlying health problems, are old or have a high BMI and usually a combination of all three. On the basis in his position, IN MY OPINION I would be happy to take the risk especially as it is own mother he is helping to look after.

Quote Originally Posted by CardShark View Post
    A work colleague was off for 3 weeks with C19, was in quite a bad way though wasn't hospitalised, has a wife and a daughter in her late teens at home and neither of them contracted it. They took all reasonable precautions including him never being in the same room as someone else, windows open for 5 mins after he left a room before anyone else entered, hand washing, contact points cleaned and so on - they were able to do that, will you be more 'hands-on'?
    That's also encouraging... no, she'll be able to sort herself in the bathroom etc

Yep- I didn’t say it was the best information, it was my opinion which is also based on the fact that the vast majority of people do not die particularly those in their 40’s and under. We take risks in all elements of life- even taking the vaccine carries a risk and, in my opinion if I were him I would be happy to take the risk.
    The overwhelming majority who become ill and die have underlying health problems, are old or have a high BMI and usually a combination of all three. On the basis in his position, IN MY OPINION I would be happy to take the risk especially as it is own mother he is helping to look after.
    Youre right, you never said it was the best information but what you did say was that if he had no underlying problems “I wouldn’t worry” which is very wrong.
    He’s already told us he has asthma and so is at a slightly higher risk than the vast majority of people who don’t. Everybody in the same situation would take certain risks to ensure that they look after an ill parent however telling people not to worry and do what he thinks best after asking for advice is quite simply wrong.

Craftsman
    You can be in the same room as her but stay well away, mask up, keep the room ventilated, wipe down and do all you can.
    As others have said, don’t assume you’ll get it and don’t stop bothering.
    best of luck to you
    My partner is a nurse and contracted it in the summer. She hid away in the bedroom. I did pretty much as above and I was as careful as I could be. I assumed I'd probably come down with it, but didn't.

Best wishes for looking after your mum, OP.

The less dose of it you get the better i hear so i would still try to keep that to a minimum if possible.

Work colleague lost her close friend to Covid last night. 35 years old, mo medical conditions, fitness fanatic and s mother to a 4 and a 6 year old

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Agree with this fully

Grand Master
    Ive lived in a House with 2 positives and worked ion a hospital where Ive been alongside 1000’s and am fine so you won’t necessarily get it and may be A-Symptomatic, my advise is dont panic.
    RIAC

Master
    Blog Entries
    I would be very careful and treat the visits/stay as though you were a professional carer rather than a relative. This website has some useful information/reminders about 'germ defence'
    https://www.germdefence.org/index.html

Hospitals are reporting a greater number of younger people being seriously affected - I guess you need to do what you need to do but be really careful.

My Mum had a fall, just come out of hospital, lives on her own, in a bit of a bad way and needs looking after. She was tested, twice, yesterday, for Covid-19. Both, different, tests were positive, although she isn't displaying any symptoms (yet?). I'm going to stay with her tomorrow for a good few days at least to look after her, so I am guessing that i'll catch Covid-19 too. Weirdly, I am not OVERLY worried (maybe i'm just a fool), I've read good things about keeping your immune system high, Vit D and Zinc are worthwhile supplements.

..anything else? Just wondered if there was anything else I should keep in mind.

And of course for Mum, any advice on how to look after her in regards to this mysterious virus? Or simply should I just make sure she's happy, unstressed, eating healthy, maybe some Vit D & Zinc too?

Thanks for any constructive advice I may of missed, and for reading.
    Sorry to hear about your mum.

Whilst anyone would understand that you want to look after your mum, I don’t think any clinical professional would advise you to knowingly expose yourself to the virus. As above, there is no way of predicting how you will be affected, and with asthma, you would be considered high risk.

You’ve said your mum is has no symptoms, and I understand that you feel she is in a bad way but are you sure she needs 24hr care? She shouldn’t be discharged to her own home if so. You may well put yourself in a life-threatening situation to provide care for someone who isn’t in one.

I don’t think vitamins, minerals and a healthy diet will pose much protection from COVID (they probably won’t do harm either), though those who are malnourished will be more likely to do badly.

If you choose to do so despite the above, I would take the precautions everyone takes in the NHS, with disposable masks, gloves, apron at all times and regular hand washing. Make sure to isolate for 2 weeks afterwards.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    As above, there is no way of predicting how you will be affected, and with asthma, you would be considered high risk.
    Just to say, Asthma doesn’t automatically put you in a high risk category for Covid complications, although having moderate to severe Asthma is a risk factor.

As somebody who has mild Asthma myself from time to time, but doesn’t use an inhaler daily, I did seek medical advice on the matter.

Craftsman

Covid

As others have said, take it seriously. I run long distance trail races and am still struggling 3 months after. Lay in piles of fluids and paracetamol, and ensure you eat; when you can't taste it food it is surprisingly hard to do.

Sorry to hear about your Mum. Is it possible to limit contact with her for a few days, hopefully to avoid the contagious period? Either drop food off at her house, or limit interactions to delivering food to her room (whilst wearing PPE)?

Obviously this depends on how much assistance she needs. As others have said I would try my very best to not catch covid - if you get badly ill then who will care for your Mum?

Obviously, personal experience colours one's views, but the statistics support Craig1912's opinion.

Clearly, that's no consolation if you are one of those who is badly affected, but the reality is most people without underlying health issues won't be dramatically affected.

There are always exceptions and anyone could be one of them, but the odds are in your favour if you're younger and healthier.

That's not to say people shouldn't take all the precautions they want to and feel necessary, but the stress of assuming the worst is likely to make matter worse itself.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Obviously, personal experience colours one's views, but the statistics support Craig1912's opinion.

Clearly, that's no consolation if you are one of those who is badly affected, but the reality is most people without underlying health issues won't be dramatically affected.

There are always exceptions and anyone could be one of them, but the odds are in your favour if you're younger and healthier.

That's not to say people shouldn't take all the precautions they want to and feel necessary, but the stress of assuming the worst is likely to make matter worse itself.

M
    Which is the wrong opinion- telling someone that if they’re fit, not to worry is ridiculous. I don’t care what overwhelming stats say- it’s a roll of the die which is too late to worry about when you’re hooked up to a ventilator

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

M
    I think you and Craig are confusing/conflating the statistics and guidance on a population public health level and the implications for individuals in specific circumstances because the probabilities are different. In the general pop there is a probability that I will come into contact with an infected person, and then probabilities for the viral load transmitted and the variant they have. Obviously there is also the unknown probability of how bad any particular person's symptoms will be if they are infected, even though population level stats on age, health conditions etc provide some guide.

On the other hand if I know a person I am going into close contact with is infected the first probability is certain, 1. I know I will be exposed and that I must take steps to protect myself from contamination and reduce the risk of transmission, reducing or eliminating the viral load transmitted. That would involve the limiting the number and proximity of exposures, using more elaborate PPE, a proper surgical mask, plastic aprons, gloves etc and decontamination, avoiding aerosol generating procedures, essentially following the procedures used in health and care settings when infection status is known.

Whilst providing care you should reduce the amount of time spent with your Mum. Set up separate living areas if possible, for example sleeping downstairs. Use different bathrooms. If you do feel you need to spend more time with her when you're not providing direct care you should still sit well apart, have good ventilation, use the largest room, etc.

It will try your patience maintaining good practices but it is only for a few days.
    Last edited by ernestrome; 8th January 2021 at 10:57.

Master
    I think the the latest variant of Covid is catching people that the previous version would pass by?

Which is the wrong opinion- telling someone that if they’re fit, not to worry is ridiculous. I don’t care what overwhelming stats say- it’s a roll of the die which is too late to worry about when you’re hooked up to a ventilator

What he said was take all the precautions you deam necessary, but don't overly worry because MOST people are fine. He just said don't, worry, not don't take precautions. To quote the old song "what's the point of worrying?" Worrying is absolutely pointless. Prepare for the worst but expect the best seems to be the most healthy response.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    What he said was take all the precautions you deam necessary, but don't overly worry because MOST people are fine. He just said don't, worry, not don't take precautions. To quote the old song "what's the point of worrying?" Worrying is absolutely pointless. Prepare for the worst but expect the best seems to be the most healthy response.
    I suggest you read the first post again. No mention of taking precautions.

Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear about your mother OP - best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Isn't it because we are worried that we take precautions? Conversely, doesn't taking precautions alleviate our level of worry?

(I suppose you can use worry and risk, plus precautions and mitigation, interchangeably above.)

IMHO it's good to be a bit worried, as it keeps you on your toes and bit more vigilant. Otherwise you might become complacent as we're shown daily across the world - no masks, no social distancing, large crowds etc.

"Prepare for the worst and hope for the best"
    Last edited by vagabond; 8th January 2021 at 11:36.

I suggest you read the first post again. No mention of taking precautions.

What's this then?

"That's not to say people shouldn't take all the precautions they want to and feel necessary, but the stress of assuming the worst is likely to make matter worse itself."

That's what you were responding to.

Master
    Positive thinking has huge psychological mental advantages and produces a good number of physical ones too.

I would take advice from healthcare professionals rather than watch enthusiasts!

That said, I would think longer term stay away - consider how much use to her you would be if you do get the virus (possibly from her) and then are too ill to take care of yourself, never mind her.

I have not seen my parents for months so as to minimise the risks to them - not a situation we are happy with but it makes sense to us.

Sorry to hear about your Mum but personally I would stay away.

If she needs short term help get onto social services to help her.

You may have to pay but it's better than contracting Covid.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Not futile at all. As a nurse, I would suggest forgetting about quality time for now. You both need to take the utmost care to reduce the risk of transmission.

The first thing to consider is if you really need to be there full-time at all.

You mother needs to be doing the following:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/corona...you-live-with/

My partner had COVID back at the start of all this. We are both nurses.

The above link covers it, but essentially, your mother needs to stay in one room, and you need to avoid going into that room. Pay attention to any shared spaces like bathrooms - cleaning, ventilation, don’t go in immediately after each other, etc.

The matter of ventilation is very important and not enough attention is paid to it.

Dealing with the practicalities is quite difficult, especially if you need to share a bathroom, and requires planning.

Don't mess about. This thing will kill you both so easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    What's this then?

"That's not to say people shouldn't take all the precautions they want to and feel necessary, but the stress of assuming the worst is likely to make matter worse itself."

That's what you were responding to.
    No i wasn’t, I was responding to the first post. That came further on in the thread.

I am as certain as I can be (without having a test) I had it in March and it knocked me out for the next three months or so. Only now am I starting to feel properly better. I'm 47 and while not particularly fit I did exercise and walk before I caught it. I'd be very very very careful about going into the house with anyone who's tested positive.
    "A man of little significance"

She sounded okay this morning on the phone, I arrived, and she just has no energy... - she isn't "fighting" for breath, but it's an effort for her to say a short sentence.

She didnt have the energy to sit herself up to take a sip of drink.

I spent around 5 hours with her, gently trying to pursuade her to drink, chicken soap, - she's taken Vit C, Zinc, hot lemon drinks... - she then sounded better and I said I will leave you to rest. Half an hour later I hear an almight crash. I rush upstairs to find that she attempted to go to the loo, but immediately fell. Cramped at a funny position in the corner, it took her 10 mins before she muster up the energy to allowed me to help her up, however, she could only manage to move and then sit on the floor leaning against the bed.. where she messed herself.

AFter anoter 12 mins waiting for her to get her breath back, I managed to lift her to her feet, clean her up, sit her down whilst I changed the bedsheets, her nightie and back to bed. After cleaning the floor I rang 111 and they are sending an ambulance to check her out. She is move comfortable now, resting on her side, warm in a ventilated room and is making sense when she speaks.

I have included the detail as the nurse told me yesterday not to go to the bathroom for an hour after she has used it, as the bathroom will be a highly contagious area. I have spent considerable time in her bedroom, with PPE, but both of us breathing heavily. So obviously I am concerned now that I have taken a good dose of it.

As said, she is not fighting for breath, but is absolutely wiped out, - i am guessing this is flu like symptoms? Does this mean that she will progressively get worse, and maybe the virus will start to spread to her lungs and she'll be fighting for breath?

Thanks for reading sorry for the long email - just waiting for the ambulance in a bit of a state

Blog Entries
    Sorry to hear that OP, glad you're getting some (professional) medical help and advice.

All the best.

I'll probably be catching Covid 19 tomorrow

You seem a wonderful, caring, loving son. Take care, be proud of yourself, I bet your mum is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk