closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fortis B-42 Cosmonauts Chronograph Eye Candy

Fortis B-42 Cosmonauts Chronograph Eye Candy

Didn't have a new 'Eye Candy' thread for a while now, and since I got this piece from a Friend to try it out for a few weeks I might just as well take some shots of it.

It really is one of the tougher chronos out there, I can see why the Russians choose it for their space missions. Even though is packed with humorous amount information on the dial, for it's primary functions (time and chrono) it's really readable. Oh and take a look at the dial and chrono hands under UV light (in ready room during DEFCON or in the cockpit :) ), that's what I call readability. Plus, 200m WR rating for a chrono with no screw down crown ... you gotta give Fortis a credit for that!

So here are some shots, hope you dig them

Master
    Great pictures Nono, here's a not so great picture of mine.

Fantastic watch & I think a little underated in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie View Post
    Great pictures Nono, here's a not so great picture of mine.

Fantastic watch & I think a little underated in this country.
    They are very underrated, mine is almost my perfect 1 watch. It does everything I want a watch to do.
    Tells the time
    Accurate
    Robust
    Easy to read
    Chronograph
    Bezel
    Waterproof
    Perfect

My favourite, have 4 or 5 B42s. Only ever seen 1 being worn by anyone other than me.

My old one

Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    While you have the watch and if you get a chance i would love to see some side by side shots of this with the Omega Speedmaster which you photographed a while ago as this seems so much easier to read.

Many thanks

Mark

A great watch and some great photos. They're definitely not widely known or available in the UK if you don't know what you're looking for. Also they're in that price bracket where 'people' (general public) are looking for a well known brand such as Omega.

Cracking watch - a friend had one and was impressed by it. If I had space in the watchbox to add another 7750 based chrono, this would be high on my list.

They are not we’ll know in the UK but they do have a following in Europe
    The under the radar nature of them is a big plus point for me (like Sinn used to be :( )
    I have only ever seen one on a wrist of another person - I had one on and we had a chat after the site meeting about them. Everyone else on site took the p1ss for us being sad g1ts

My GMT must be nearly 20 years old now.

Proper eye candy for sure! I miss my B42 chrono. Last seen being waved around by my mad ex as she taunted me with it.

Ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by jmarchitect View Post
    Proper eye candy for sure! I miss my B42 chrono. Last seen being waved around by my mad ex as she taunted me with it.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Ouch!
    Indeed! Hell hath no fury and all that.

Lovely photos OP
    I had this one ofr a while, and really loved it.

However, they have massively improved it since they released this one (2003 from memory).
    These were first released with screwdown crowns, but they found that the crown itself was so large in diameter that owners screwing the crown down were stripping threads (increased crown diameter, increased leverage on small thread), so they recalled these models for a free upgrade to the (now used) 200m WR non-screwdown crown.
    They lume was appalling. I had mine relumed, it was so bad. I am glad it is better now.

The two backward steps to the current model are (imho)
    1. 7750 instead of Lemania 5100. The 5100 is just so much better as a tool chronograph movement. Infinitely more legible at a glance.
    2. Now SS and not Ti. I loved the weight of this in Ti. It is a large watch, so even in Ti it had some heft. but the SS versions are too heavy for me to sensibly use.

Dave

Sweets you mention the lume being poor on the older 5100 version, in my opinion Fortis have not rectified the issue on the latest version of the B42. The luminova is C1 so nice and white, and it is fantastically fluorescent under a UV light but the glow in the dark is poor like other C1 lume watches (U1). Its the only thing that lets it down and it is in direct contrast to my Fortis GMT which has some of the best lume of any of the watches I own - its Seiko good.

Quick and dirty lume shot to show what I mean

Both watches were exposed to 30 seconds of natural light on a really overcast day at dusk.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 8th January 2021 at 17:05.

Beautiful photography. No. 4 is stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Sweets you mention the lume being poor on the older 5100 version, in my opinion Fortis have not rectified the issue on the latest version of the B42. The luminova is C1 so nice and white, and it is fantastically fluorescent under a UV light but the glow in the dark is poor like other C1 lume watches (U1). Its the only thing that lets it down and it is in direct contrast to my Fortis GMT which has some of the best lume of any of the watches I own - its Seiko good.
    Oh, that's a shame that some of them have not improved. I have only handled the older stuff (and I have had a lot of Forti in the past, but none newer than the B42 LE above). Lume was consistently poor on the ones I had (in fact I was sure some of the older Cosmonaut chronos in the smaller case only used a nasty green paint, not lume at all).
    It seems odd that Fortis are so inconsistent.

Dave

I'm rather partial to them .. not just the B42

Craftsman
    Lovely watch and even better images.

Craftsman
    Lovely. Really nice pictures. Makes me want a B42, I dithered some years back at a bargain price one, missed it and regretted it.

I have always liked Fortis. I really do like my Fortis Cockpit II; a watch that has drawn comments way above pricier 'known' watches that I have.

I always wanted one of these, seeing the pictures makes me wish I had got one when I had the chance when they were easier to get and cheaper.

Love the looks of the dial.

Stunning photography and great looking watch.

Craftsman
    The latest model is sold out on line, but if anyone comes across one, I'd be interested to know where it is...think it's a cracker...

Yet another watch I've always admired but too big for my puny wrists.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk