closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Recommend me some home weights/dumbbells please

Recommend me some home weights/dumbbells please

Apologies if this has been asked before (I couldn't find a thread) but I'm looking for some weights to use at home during lockdown (and beyond).

I haven't owned any since my younger days. Never tried kettlebells and worried that I might damage myself using them without proper instruction.

Any suggestions for decent kit would be welcome, bonus if its not already sold out everywhere! Thanks.

TBH I don’t think it matters what free weights you get, they are just heavy things to pick up! Not a very TZ answer I know, but I would get the cheapest variety possible from Facebook or similar.

What’s most important is proper instruction and not going mad from the get go. I had a personal trainer last summer who was amazing at training via zoom on an iPad. She could check form etc and see if the weight was too little or too much and advise accordingly. I don’t need her anymore, but it was invaluable twice a week for the first few months.
    Last edited by Matt8500; 7th January 2021 at 20:01.

What are you looking to do?

Quote Originally Posted by mr.chef View Post
    What are you looking to do?
    Just basic strength/resistance training.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    I got a few pairs of the rubberised hex dumbbells.
    With them being Hex, in my opinion are far more versatile than round.

Good luck

I’d also get some resistance bands as you can do so much with them, a range of dumbells (depending on your strength) and perhaps a kettlebell that’s a fair bit heavier than the dumbells.

What do you normally use at the gym or is this new to you?

PowerBlock - far from cheap but great flexibility in a small package.

https://strongerwellness.com/collections/kettlebell

I purchased 2 cast kettlebells from these when everywhere was sold out or charging ridiculous prices...

Also check Decathlon as well, they do a good range of kettlebells as well at probably the cheapest price in the UK but they sell out quick...

Looking around I wonder if this might be a good (and space saving) option?

https://global.bowflex.com/en/select...l/i100790.html

20kg York Dumbbell set.

£43 here: https://yorkfitness.com/a/s/products...l-spinlock-set

Why I recommend these (from personal experience)

- Selection of mix’n’match 0.5, 1.25 & 2.5 kg plates allows you to start light & add plates
    - If you progress further, then you can buy 5kg plates separately as add-ons
    - One set of adjustable weight dumbbells takes less space than loads of fixed-weight ones
    - Old School cast iron - no gimmicks, will never fail to function & practically indestructible
    - Easily rolled under a bed etc. when not in use

A kettlebell is a tremendous bit of kit - cardio + weights in one - but grip-wise they aren’t as ergonomic or stable for bench presses, flys etc. Plus with dual dumbells you can work both sides at once, in symmetry.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    Thanks, they look like a great option but sadly out of stock.

Get a few ex-commercial Gym ones, the fixed weight type with rubber on them.

Escape brand i bought

Thanks, they look like a great option but sadly out of stock.
    They’re in stock on Amazon for £84.99 delivered (for me, anyway), but that’s far too expensive for what they are. I doubt I even paid as much as £43 for mine.

I expect there’s a demand for them with lockdown etc.

Get the variable ones so can change weights allow you to do much more. Weight sizes are pretty universal so can add more when prices more sensible.

Looking around I wonder if this might be a good (and space saving) option?

https://global.bowflex.com/en/select...l/i100790.html

I’ve got the Bowflex adjustable kettlebells and dumbbells. Used them almost daily and never had a problem with them.

Great idea if you’re stuck for space as don’t have to buy a load of different weights. Only drawback on the dumbbells is they’re a bit on the large size, but other than that, great bit of kit.

Malc

Craftsman
    Apologies if this has been asked before (I couldn't find a thread) but I'm looking for some weights to use at home during lockdown (and beyond).

I haven't owned any since my younger days. Never tried kettlebells and worried that I might damage myself using them without proper instruction.

Any suggestions for decent kit would be welcome, bonus if its not already sold out everywhere! Thanks.
    I'm also looking for some of these. Naively assumed retailers would have ordered sufficient stock this time, but so far as I can tell there's v. little available. Slightly frustrating & as usual people selling them for twice the price on Gumtree etc.

Craftsman
    Decathlon-£40

Quote Originally Posted by meridian View Post
    Decathlon-£40
    If only - always out of stock.

Foggy

Craftsman
    I have used the bowflex adjustables before and once you get used to the size and mechanics they are fantastic although very pricey. They are larger than the equivalent non adjustable dumbells and due to their design, the actual weight plates can move around when in use.

On the other end of the scale are the resistance bands, again great for a workout, but do nothing for your ego. If it was me buying, I would buy a couple of resistance bands with different resistances and with imagination (or YouTube), you could really have a good workout. Ideal prep for when the gyms reopen..

Master
    Some great suggestion already but my twopence worth.

Spinlock adjustable dumbbells are (usually) a cheap and versatile option. I've had a set for about 14 years. Changing and storing the plates becomes a bit of a faff, so I don't use them that much. If I do use them, I choose a single weight that I can use for additional exercises.
    Kettlebells are also good, I have a number ranging from 5kgs to 32kgs. I use the 16 and 24 the most. It helps if you have had a little instruction but I think most people can figure out a basic swing by themselves and that is probably the best and most productive exercise you can do.
    Doorway pullup bar. Cheap, portable. If you can do a single pullup then practice negatives (jump, or step, hold at top, lower under control) or
    Resistance bands to make the pullups easier. Thee can also be used to add difficulty to other exercises like squats and lunges.
    Ab wheel. Good way to strength the gut.
    A bench, allows you to do bench presses, seated presses, dumbbell or kettlebell rows. Basically adds variety plus you can sit don when you are tired.
    Skipping rope. Cheap bit of cardio kit, a bit of a learning curve. I'm actually pretty good, but don't have. a good spot to use it. I train in my garage and the ceiling is a little too low.

TLDR:

I bough a workout bench and resistance bands last week from amazon, so still available.
    A single kettlebell or hex dumbbell would get you started.
    Buy a pullup bar and an abwheel too.
    £100-200 should cover the lot.

Journeyman
    Dumbell wise i would get hex fixed if you know the weight you use most and then add to as you go along - i find it tedious changing discs especially if i want to super set. But they are expensive. Hex won”t roll around and are good to do press ups on.

Master
    Hi Rocket,

You need to free up some space on your PM's box :-).
    Trying to fire over a message

Jon
    Last edited by Auto; 8th January 2021 at 17:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Auto View Post
    Hi Rocket,

You need to free up some space on your PM's box :-).
    Trying to fire over a message

Jon
    Done, thanks

Master
    Do some body weight exercises and stretches/yoga and maybe gentle run/walk cardio. No need to buy weights and stuff. You’ll be amazed at what can be accomplished.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    Do some body weight exercises and stretches/yoga and maybe gentle run/walk cardio. No need to buy weights and stuff. You’ll be amazed at what can be accomplished.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That is always an option. I'm gone old school and been starting most days with 5BX. I sometimes use it as a warmup for another workout, or do another workout later in the day. By itself the routines is good base. The nice thing is the fifth exercise is either a walk or a run or an alternative exercise you can do without leaving your house.

The original Canadian Airforce instructional video from 1959: https://youtu.be/NMGQzMjeO1k

The program itself with all the progressions. I'm now on chart 3 after about three month, I started in early October: http://fit450.com/HTML/5BX_Intro.html

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    PowerBlock - far from cheap but great flexibility in a small package.
    That's a good shout. Flexible system and doesn't take up much space, plus changing the weight is a doddle and very quick.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    That is always an option. I'm gone old school and been starting most days with 5BX. I sometimes use it as a warmup for another workout, or do another workout later in the day. By itself the routines is good base. The nice thing is the fifth exercise is either a walk or a run or an alternative exercise you can do without leaving your house.

The original Canadian Airforce instructional video from 1959: https://youtu.be/NMGQzMjeO1k

The program itself with all the progressions. I'm now on chart 3 after about three month, I started in early October: http://fit450.com/HTML/5BX_Intro.html

Also a very good shout. I did the first two charts in the last lock down and lost 10kg !!!! Sadly I found I lacked the flexibility to perform the exercises in chart 3, so it all fizzled out, but I think I will re-visit chart 2 exercises very shortly !

Master

I might give that a go myself. Lockdown weight is climbing!! I’ll get my 8 year old daughter to do it with me as she loves physical exercise and already she cycles with me whilst I run 3 times a week. I’m 49 so it would be nice to maintain rather than drift into wobbly fifty’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Mo
    Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 9th January 2021 at 18:01.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    I might give that a go myself. Lockdown weight is climbing!! I’ll get my 8 year old daughter to do it with me as she loves physical exercise and already she cycles with me whilst I run 3 times a week. I’m 49 so it would be nice to maintain rather than drift into wobbly fifty’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Mo

Great idea. My 10 year old boy joined me most morning and sometimes my wife and daughter too. My only advice is start at the beginning and progress slowly. The first few weeks feel very easy but sets you up with the right momentum.

Craftsman

This a blast from the past for me! When I was a teenager my parents bought me the small book that details this routine and I used it to get fit. I recall good results with it. I think I still have it amongst all the junk in my attic. I liked it as it did not take too long to work through the routine.

Master
    An alternative for you, sandbag.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CHMzvCg...=1csabzajxjq5l

I have read that pea shingle can also be used as less likely to leak from the bags.

Whatever you use, best advice is to find a program and stick with it. You don’t have to do many movements, a few compound movements are all that’s required.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Stock goes very quickly when it gets in but the Opti Cast dumbbell set from Argos is perfectly adequate.
    They do a 20kg set for £32 and you can supplement with another set of 4 x 5kg discs as needed.
    I got some mid summer 2020, having kept pestering the Argos site for a few weeks, 'til eventually the local Sainsbury's Argos pick up point had a set.
    Rubber handles and good pitch of thread means these are comfy to hold, and do not undo at all.

D

I have a pair of dumbbells which I use every so often. Friend has a treadmill which he doesn't use at all. I did walk 5K every day until I injured my foot, so been two months.

I was thinking about getting a rowing machine for a more thorough workout

DON