closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Elon Musk becomes world's richest man

Blog Entries

Elon Musk becomes world's richest man

Following the increase in value of Tesla shares, Elon Musk has become the world's richest man, topling Jeff Bezos who held that position since 2017.

BBC News - Elon Musk becomes world's richest person as wealth tops $185bn
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55578403

What surprised me most, is that Tesla is now worth more than Toyota, Volkswagen, Ford, GM and Hyundai etc. combined!

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post

What surprised me most, is that Tesla is now worth more than Toyota, Volkswagen, Ford, GM and Hyundai etc. combined!
    Just madness!

Cheers,

Adam.

Apparently he's on tranched share performance targets, which Tesla seems to be hitting despite only recently starting to report quarterly profits. Take that as you will

I’m rather impressed that in his early 30’s he had a solid $200m or so cash in the bank from selling Zip2 & PayPal and yet still had the drive/imagination to do more.

If I had even $2m cash in the Bank the only things you’d find me developing are my passport stamps, belly, bar tab & tan.

Master
    If I had held all the shares in Tesla I bought in 2014 I woudl have paid off the mortgage and had change to spare. As it is I drop sold over the years as it kept going up and up and sold all in August last year at $350, price now is $800 a share.

Oh well. Can't grumble still made 4 figure returns, but it could have been significant 6 figures.
    Bubble will burst. Company is valued at £1.3m for each car sold so far.

My next bet for insane returns is Virgin Galactic.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    I’m rather impressed that in his early 30’s he had a solid $200m or so cash in the bank from selling Zip2 & PayPal and yet still had the drive/imagination to do more.

If I had even $2m cash in the Bank the only things you’d find me developing are my passport stamps, belly, bar tab & tan.
    +1 to this.

One of my mates is a multi millionaire, I said exactly the same thing to him, what’s enough? He replied he just enjoys the hustle and bustle and looks forward to his next deal.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think I heard the other day, Tesla missed their target sales by one car

I own one and I can see why the investors have so much confidence, its the future and Tesla are still miles and miles ahead of the competition.

Its still the only electric car that you can go touring in due to the incredible foresight and investment in infrastructure but this aside the technology and packaging is imaginative and different to anything the established manufacturers have been able to develop.

Let's just say that if I would have invested the purchase price of my car in Tesla shares when I purchased it (Oct 2018), I would now be able to afford a Bugatti Veyron Supersport!

Craftsman
    The world of cars is going one way and everyone else is playing catch up. It’s mad but logical.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinese_Alan View Post
    The world of cars is going one way and everyone else is playing catch up. It’s mad but logical.
    Logical?
    I have to disagree. How many cars do each of these companies sell? How many will they sell in the future? How long will Tesla stay ahead of the rest?

It must be a bubble waiting to burst?

Well done to those who have done well out of the share price but I am the only one who thinks it's massively overinflated?

Cheers,

Adam.

Blog Entries
    The others are just so far behind tech, battery range, over the air UI updates and most of all SC network.

I’m four and a bit months in and I find excuses to drive the car, it makes smile and a wonderful clean place to sit. Costs peanuts to run, tech and sound is just wow and the power is just bonkers.

I would add, second set of rear lights are misting up, front fogs are now misting, couple of panel gaps are just nuts and opening the boot when it’s raining is a no no. Nothing is perfect and this car is far from it.

Still fun though.

Pitch

Quote Originally Posted by ViperStripes View Post
    Bubble will burst. Company is valued at £1.3m for each car sold so far.
    Worth keeping this in mind before buying in

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ViperStripes View Post
    My next bet for insane returns is Virgin Galactic.
    I am betting on this too.

There seems to have developed a lot of confidence around future-facing tech, and I have had to work on my own dinosaur-like attitudes to investments and think more like a youthful investor as I believe a lot of demand has come from a younger demographic looking to get rich quick, and they're not excited about blue chip.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    The others are just so far behind tech, battery range, over the air UI updates and most of all SC network.

I’m four and a bit months in and I find excuses to drive the car, it makes smile and a wonderful clean place to sit. Costs peanuts to run, tech and sound is just wow and the power is just bonkers.

I would add, second set of rear lights are misting up, front fogs are now misting, couple of panel gaps are just nuts and opening the boot when it’s raining is a no no. Nothing is perfect and this car is far from it.

Still fun though.

Pitch
    I could have written this almost word for word except ours is 9 months old. Misted up light fittings too! Toured to the Alps in ours in August and supercharger infrastructure is amazing. Tesla are a decade ahead of everyone else.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PipPip View Post
    I could have written this almost word for word except ours is 9 months old. Misted up light fittings too! Toured to the Alps in ours in August and supercharger infrastructure is amazing. Tesla are a decade ahead of everyone else.
    Cheers buddy and good to hear. I am looking forward to longer road trips once restrictions ease.

Pitch

Blog Entries
    That didn't last long.....(where have I heard that before?)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sergeik...on-in-one-day/

Master
    Doubt he's bothered.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    Doubt he's bothered.
    Nor am I*....just a case in point of how fickle these things are.

* I wouldn't mind trying it out for a few days though, just to see what it's like.

Master
    That didn't last long.....(where have I heard that before?)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sergeik...on-in-one-day/
    I do wonder if he’ll go down in history as the person that lost the most amount of money.

It’s all just telephone numbers nowadays. When I was growing up a millionaire was a rare thing and if you were one, you were extremely wealthy. In the late 90’s and early 00’s Billionaires like Bill Gates and Michael Dell were very rare. Now a billionaire, whilst to us is an unimaginable amount of money, in the worlds rich stakes, is nothing. Musk lost 14 amounts of a billion. That’s 14,000 lots of £1 million. It makes zero difference to him. Bizarre, not real.

Tesla seem to have some genuine competition. They can’t all be worth more than the rest of the industry combined.

https://www.nio.com

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Tesla seem to have some genuine competition. They can’t all be worth more than the rest of the industry combined.

https://www.nio.com
    Is that just a rip off Tesla ?

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Apparently outperforms Tesla, both the car range/performance and the share price hype.

Tesla has paid Musk more than it has made in aggregate lifetime revenue.

An additional fun fact: none of the companies which Musk has founded or has led has ever managed to end a single year with a positive cash flow. Not once.

I’m not sure that’s an fully accurate reflection, at least in relation to charity. Surely Musk’s charitable donations should take into account that all are made through the foundation rather than a personal payment.

& at least x.com/confinity turned into PayPal which is no doubt making some significant profits. & while Space X hasn’t been net positive, at least its launches now make more money than they cost on a cost per launch basis. So maybe it might, or it could continue to just burn money.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I’m not sure that’s an fully accurate reflection, at least in relation to charity. Surely Musk’s charitable donations should take into account that all are made through the foundation rather than a personal payment.

& at least x.com/confinity turned into PayPal which is no doubt making some significant profits. & while Space X hasn’t been net positive, at least its launches now make more money than they cost on a cost per launch basis. So maybe it might, or it could continue to just burn money.
    Yes, Paypal turned profitable after they fired Musk. Not sure that is to his credit?

What concerns the foundations / charity - I think the argument is that he benefits more from his 'charitable foundation' than he puts into it from his money. A bit akin to the 'Trump foundation'.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...his-own-family

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    They have developed a lot of new technology that’s better than Tesla, so much going on in this space.