closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christopher Ward Half Price Sale

Christopher Ward Half Price Sale

Just had an email telling me about the "Christopher Ward Half Price Sale"

Not everything IS half price, but there are some good deals to be had on some quite popular models (the Supercompressor, C60s, their moonphase watch, etc) and some bargain basement stuff, too.

I could be quite tempted to a few, but I'm looking to reduce the number of watches I currently have, rather than increase them, so I've been good.

Sale is on a 'preview' currently (presumably if you're on their email list you get notified).

Worth a look if you've considered anything in their range.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I'm not on their mailing list as I try to avoid newsletters where possible. Can you share the sales link?

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Thank you!

Thanks for sharing although even in the sale there's nothing that floats my boat.

Some nice watches there.

The blue, hand-wound C65 Trident on leather for £350 is tempting, if I didn't already have a surfeit of Dive watches. The Compressor looks good too.

I'm curious to try the Mk3 C60 Trident - I owned a 43mm Mk2 version which was too big & heavy and the finishing in parts was (literally) irritating, but overall it was a likeable watch, so a smaller version with the kinks ironed out and the new case appeals.

Again, I don't need another Diver and have a self-imposed embargo on new purchases, so I'll just wait for a 2nd hand deal to come along in future, and inevitably buy yet another Dive watch.

That Rosso Corsa looks quite nice even if it has got echos of Mille Miglia about it

I was strangely attracted to this tbh:

Master
    I quite fancy this too!

Quote Originally Posted by Marios View Post
    I was strangely attracted to this tbh:

It's got a little bit of a Jenny Caribbean vibe to it.

^I was also thinking this. I’ll be waiting for Eddie’s though - hopefully this summer!

Master
    It looks like they got more watches on sale than ever before but nothing jumps out, which is odd. I think the market has changed and moved on during COVID-19......

Got me the C65 auto on bracelet for £420, may be a bit small for me though, I am sure I can move on without losing anything or return if it is

Master
    Cant believe I missed out on the C60 Bronzes... :0(

I kept trying to put them in my basket but nothing happened. Next thing I know they had all gone...!!!

Had a good look through but nothing for me. Thanks for the heads up though!

Master
    Amazing that the not long released C65 Super Compressors are already being sold at 60% list!!! They do look great, but for me it's still a lot of money.

The Super-compressor must be good value at £537 on a strap? Not normally a CW fan but I think they look great.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    Amazing that the not long released C65 Super Compressors are already being sold at 60% list!!! They do look great, but for me it's still a lot of money.
    I noticed the pics show the original skew-wiff Super Compressor text, I wonder if there using up those dials of if they just continue to use the old stock-image and they actually have the corrected dial text?

Regardless at that price very good vfm.

Some good opportunities there, nothing for me though I don't think. The moon phases were the best deals imo but they're gone now.
    Last edited by Tetlee; 7th January 2021 at 15:04.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    I noticed the pics show the original skew-wiff Super Compressor text, I wonder if there using up those dials of if they just continue to use the old stock-image and they actually have the corrected dial text?
    I thought that - I stared at the pics wondering if I was paranoid, or being hyper critical because of the previous controversy, but they aren't right - presumably it must be that they took a set of publicity photos in the beginning and can't be bothered to update them!

Even with the sale. Prices more than Steinhart comparable models. Not sure Steinhart sells compressor models

They're Trident GMT is $738 and listed as slightly new

Steinhart Ocean one is $510

I like the look of the Steinhart over the Ward and $228 less

DON

I really like their C65 GMT Worldtimer. Good thing it's not in the sale because the last thing I need is more watches.

Journeyman
    i like the look of the bronze one with blue face and blue strap

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 50kopek View Post
    I really like their C65 GMT Worldtimer. Good thing it's not in the sale because the last thing I need is more watches.

it was in the sale yesterday, a nice looking watch

Quote Originally Posted by s1wnw View Post
    it was in the sale yesterday, a nice looking watch
    Good thing I missed that!

Quote Originally Posted by DONGinsler View Post
    Even with the sale. Prices more than Steinhart comparable models. Not sure Steinhart sells compressor models

They're Trident GMT is $738 and listed as slightly new

Steinhart Ocean one is $510

I like the look of the Steinhart over the Ward and $228 less

DON
    Each to their own, I prefer the CW of those two.

Steinhart certainly don't sell a true Super Compressor.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tim2012 View Post
    I think the market has changed and moved on during COVID-19......
    In what ways do you think the market’s changed? Less formal or dress watches, perhaps, now fewer people are working in an office?

Master
    Managed to pick up the c65 black gold. Have wanted this since it came out but hadn't ever seen any for sale second hand and struggled to justify the cost. Absolutely love it. Tropic strap is nice too. I had a blue c65 on hybrid previously and didn't find it that comfortable.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Does anyone have any experience of the sand dial super compressors?

I’m tempted but selling at 60% of retail price, considering the only came out a couple months ago, is throwing me off

Quote Originally Posted by emb_164 View Post
    Does anyone have any experience of the sand dial super compressors?

I’m tempted but selling at 60% of retail price, considering the only came out a couple months ago, is throwing me off
    Forget retail - nobody takes that seriously with Christopher Ward - do you think its a good deal at the *current* price?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Forget retail - nobody takes that seriously with Christopher Ward - do you think its a good deal at the *current* price?
    Yeah I understand they give out a lot of discount codes.

I have a Dan Henry Super Compressor of a similar look (I know it does have the valve of the CW). I’m unsure whether the CW would be three times the watch for the £600.

What’s the quality of CW like? I’ve never had hands on one

I have a Dan Henry Super Compressor of a similar look (I know it does have the valve of the CW). I’m unsure whether the CW would be three times the watch for the £600.

I have one incoming (even though I swore I would not buy another watch at the moment!), I’ll report back when it arrives. Think there are only the ones on a tan strap left at £537.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    At the sale price I would say it’s a very good deal, the Farer SC is about £900

No idea about Dan Henrys, but the reality is that watch value is never linear.

I suspect the CW is pretty good at sub £600, I have a Makira which is a few generations back now and that's nicely made. The general view is that CW quality has only got better in recent times.

I believe though the 60/60 deal applies to sale watches (probably best to check) in which case you can make your own mind up without any risk.

M

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

I suspect the CW is pretty good at sub £600, I have a Makira which is a few generations back now and that's nicely made. The general view is that CW quality has only got better in recent times.

I believe though the 60/60 deal applies to sale watches (probably best to check) in which case you can make your own mind up without any risk.

M

Well standard UK law always applies - you can simply request a return in 14 days (and then have another 14 days to send it back) with no risk.

Any further south and i would have wet feet

M

The 60/60 does indeed apply to the sale watches.

I have had various CWs over the years. I would say that their build and quality has definitely improved over time and that I wouldn’t be worried about it.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    The 60/60 does indeed apply to the sale watches.

I have had various CWs over the years. I would say that their build and quality has definitely improved over time and that I wouldn’t be worried about it.
    Thanks for the clarification - I just took a look at the DH website.

The CW will be a significantly better made watch, IMO.

Also, DH claim their watch is "boasting the ingenious super compressor principle that proved revolutionary when released." but show no actual indications of it being a true "Super Compressor", which I would consider to be false representation. Compressor styling doesn't make it a Super Compressor...

The CW is a true Super Compressor, if I didn't have a Super Compressor and/or had some spare cash right now, I'd buy one!

One final point - My Makira is my most accurate watch on the timegrapher, bar none (oops, correction, except the Vostok I have that is 0s/d!)

M

Even at half price I can't ignore the awful Chris Ward logo / branding.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I owned the CW SC for a little while and it's brilliant VFM, especially at the reduced price. It's worth checking whether the sale watches still have the offset text on the dial though, if that bothers you.

Journeyman
    Loving mine in the Ocean Blue. Think I got it less 20% in November. Go for it!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Master
    The blue does look great. I think the brown one ended up in the sale as it was being discontinued. I am not sure if there were any blues ones or not.

I am pretty certain that the text on the dial is offset in the discounted ones, they still have a few on their website with 40% off.

I ordered a prototype CW in their sale and I am just waiting for delivery. I have had a few CW watches and generally I think the quality of them is fine.

They've discontinued the brown as they now have a darker blue model.
    It must of been a poor seller compared to the blue one.
    I must admit I would never of bought the brown one but love my blue one (currently away for the dial change)
    It's going to be some time before I get it back I expect.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice
    I’m new here. How often does CW run sales comparable to this?

Journeyman
    Thanks for the clarification - I just took a look at the DH website.

The CW will be a significantly better made watch, IMO.

Also, DH claim their watch is "boasting the ingenious super compressor principle that proved revolutionary when released." but show no actual indications of it being a true "Super Compressor", which I would consider to be false representation. Compressor styling doesn't make it a Super Compressor...

The CW is a true Super Compressor, if I didn't have a Super Compressor and/or had some spare cash right now, I'd buy one!

One final point - My Makira is my most accurate watch on the timegrapher, bar none (oops, correction, except the Vostok I have that is 0s/d!)

M

Yes there is nothing that makes this DH a super compressor aside from the inner rotating bezel and extra crown

It is a bit of fun and was exactly what I was after a year ago. Can’t complain with an accurate NH35 with it too

The brown dial CW seem to be out of the sale now but I will look like in the future. I may be more drawn to the blue dial though. It seems the general consensus is they’ve improved in their build quality, so I look forward to experiencing one in the future!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman53 View Post
    Loving mine in the Ocean Blue. Think I got it less 20% in November. Go for it!

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
    I think that watch looks superb. Most of the forum would be fawning over it if it was an Omega.

Blog Entries
    Very underrated, I have 2 and very impressed indeed with both (prior sale) !
    Which brand is it fair to compare with ?

Of course, it's British, hence a few enjoy knocking the product .....

Also, how many grant 5 years warranty ?

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I think that watch looks superb. Most of the forum would be fawning over it if it was an Omega.
    I have this version incoming, very much looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Quality Man View Post

Is there a reason why the first four lume dots are yellow and the rest white?

Quote Originally Posted by 50kopek View Post
    Is there a reason why the first four lume dots are yellow and the rest white?
    Don’t know myself but could be a technical dive reason? Maybe someone with more knowledge than me will let us know....

Quote Originally Posted by Quality Man View Post

A no brainier at £537?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    A no brainier at £537?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I’d say so, I expect it to have the mis-aligned text but not something that will bother me, can return it if it does!