closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Limited Edition

Craftsman

Limited Edition

When does a limited edition stop being a limited edition ? Personally I’d say at 250 ,any thoughts ....

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Depends on the brand, their reach and marketing strategy. I don't think you can put one number on it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

It's just words, so has no real meaning especially when there are no X/XXXX figures on the item!

Any reason for your 250?

Master
    I think the James Bond Omega Aqua terra was actually 'limited' to 15,007...

Limited edition means production stops at a certain number (or should do but doesn't always). No rule for how high or low that number should be.
    Many manufacturers including my favourite Seiko are now diluting the limited edition ethos though, not so much with high number runs, but with continuous limited edition releases one after the other. It can almost seem like the non-LE's are the more rare models sometimes.

If it's Seiko it's about half a million, and make sure there is a new limited edition every month just in case you missed the last one.

42 is the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitz View Post
    When does a limited edition stop being a limited edition ? Personally I’d say at 250 ,any thoughts ....

Depends on the brand, 250 for a brand like Chr Ward for instance would be about right.

A larger brand say Omega 250 while sounding attractive would be way too small a number to get into hands of anyone that wants to wear the thing and almost all would probably end up in locked up in safes. 2500 would be far more realistic there but even then completely depends desirability of model.

Master
    Everything is limited to the end of its production run. Some are called limited, some not. Of course, "Limited Edition" could just be the name of a model.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    If it's Seiko it's about half a million, and make sure there is a new limited edition every month just in case you missed the last one.

471 for my Shogun Zimbe, I think that's quite a rare beast considering Seiko's production numbers.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Yes, there are some ‘non-limited, limited editions’ such as the Tudor Black Bay 79220N. It wasn’t numbered but was discontinued not too long after production began.

Craftsman
    At what point would you stop paying more for an LE due to the number being produced?
    It's probably completely watch dependent and wouldn't always make resale price higher but anything over 1 in 1000 I'd probably not pay extra for if there was a non-LE that looked similar (& I liked as much).

As a piece of jewellery, i like the idea of having something reasonably unique and would rather pay for that than a brand name, but based on current market trends that's not how most people think.
    There was an awesome Schofield RT (1 of 1) up recently, that I'd have snatched up if I had bigger wrists, that's still here compared with any Rolex sports watch that's gone in seconds.

How many here will honestly hold their hands up and admit that they have been suckered in by a limited edition for fear of missing out - I certainly have.

You get the e-mail or in cases like the Speedy Tuesday watches there is a buzz on here and you get caught up in it. Even happens with Eddie's offerings from time to time, usually followed by a few being flipped on SC for a variety reasons (excuses), but never the honest truth, they got caught up in the moment and really shouldn't have bought the watch in the first place.

It is clearly a marketing ploy to sucker us in to buying.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    How many here will honestly hold their hands up and admit that they have been suckered in by a limited edition for fear of missing out - I certainly have.

You get the e-mail or in cases like the Speedy Tuesday watches there is a buzz on here and you get caught up in it. Even happens with Eddie's offerings from time to time, usually followed by a few being flipped on SC for a variety reasons (excuses), but never the honest truth, they got caught up in the moment and really shouldn't have bought the watch in the first place.

It is clearly a marketing ploy to sucker us in to buying.
    Agree with that absolutely. It happened to me with the Omega Speedy Tuesday 2 which I purchased without having even seen it.

Master
    If it's a Tudor Harrods Limited Edition then ∞ * ∞

Quote Originally Posted by Kitz View Post

When it has “Omega” in the name......

Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    If it's a Tudor Harrods Limited Edition then ∞ * ∞
    The Tudor Harrods isn't a limited edition, it's a special edition

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    The Tudor Harrods isn't a limited edition, it's a special edition
    Special as we will keep making them as long as people keep buying them

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Special as we will keep making them as long as people keep buying them
    Special Edition as they are tied to one retailer. They never claimed them to be limited as far as I'm aware.

Really depends on how the watch looks. There could be a limited edition of 100,000 but if the watch looks better than the standard model, and I really like the standard model, then I’m likely to buy the limited edition - as long as it’s priced within my budget.

Of course I’d prefer to buy something rarer, but that’s just human pride or some notion of being successful in acquiring a rarer object, which is a nonsense for the most part.

Take the Harrods Black Bay - it’s by far my favourite of the 41mm Black Bays. I really couldn’t care less how many they eventually make.

I wish they had made more of the Speedy Ultraman, and then I might have been able to buy one at RRP lol

I still think I would be buying on: looks, brand, and price. If it’s also limited edition/production, but available to me and within my budget/appetite them all good :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Confusing term. I think there are mainly two variants.

1) relatively small number that people fight over. E.g. speedy tuesdays.

2) large number, however still a limited run. This means many fans can buy it but no additional stock will be made. One off production. Could take years for stock to sell but sold out is sold out.

There are even non limited runs you still can’t just buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    LE = limited number of watches produced that are numbered - could be 10, 100, 1000, 10,007 for example
    SE = special edition - watches not numbered but are made to signify a special event or time e.d. DSOM Apollo 8 is a SE,
    Limited runs as above - I would think the Omega 321 is a limited run or some Patek's that sell out to preferred customers

Martyn

SydR
    There were 11,111 made of my latest purchase with each one numbered on the rear case.

The Omega Speedmaster Racing, Michael Schumacher edition from 2001. Mine is 9,890.

Craftsman
    Personally for me, limited edition would be up to 500 pieces.

Limited production is a limit of how many they produce in a year if a particular model. Paneri would be a brand that does this.

No real view on the limit, but I'd only buy a limited edition if I preferred it to other examples.

I personally wouldn't pay a penny more for a Tintin or Snoopy Speedmaster, for example.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?