closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Mappin and Webb?

Journeyman

Thoughts on Mappin and Webb?

Ive heard of them but not regarding thier own timepieces.

Im tempted by this

https://www.mappinandwebb.com/Mappin...f7841040f8f16b

Anyone any experience f them?

Thank you

Master
    I've had the odd look at this model a few times over the last couple of years. Never at RRP, it was often discounted to about £650 (not too bad???) but surely has to be a bargain at £285.

Briefly discussed here in this resurrected thread...

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...d-Webb-watches

Not sure anyone has got to the bottom of what movement is in there.

I agree it looks good value at that price, but only if you like the look of it. Think I prefer the Clarendon.

Master
    Slightly different watch but point taken about the movement, I'll ask and see what they say!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post

I agree it looks good value at that price, but only if you like the look of it. Think I prefer the Clarendon.

Master
    That's a crazy price. They are beautifully made and worth every penny of the £950 RRP when compared to other makes at that price and more. They were originally marketed at £1500 when they were first released in 2016'ish.

Regarding movement it is mentioned as swiss but knowing M&P I would think it a top quality one.

As I say, a crazy price which needs snapping up!!

Here's mine:

Master

The point of this model is that it is a nod to the original campaign watch they produced from long ago. Its not only the look but also the history.

Master
    In that case I'm in. They said they would get back to me.

Master
    Having said that - does it wear big at 40mm?

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    The point of this model is that it is a nod to the original campaign watch they produced from long ago. Its not only the look but also the history.
    Ah, I see...didn’t know much about it. Thanks.

It does look like a bargain but I don’t like the style enough to buy one for myself.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Mappin are a bit like the early Rolex in that they would get others to build to their spec or would bring together stuff, usually with their own dial. Like Asprey, Fitch, Garrard and a host of other top end English jewellers, they can be a cheap route into some very special vintage watches. Or at least were until I wrote this! The original campaign was sometimes a Borgel and sometimes a Borgel ... lets call it a homage. So was pretty similar to Mallory's watch in 1924. However they were an early Borgel user. The modern stuff shares little but a name.

Master
    According to M&W it's an ETA 2892-2.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    Mappin are a bit like the early Rolex in that they would get others to build to their spec or would bring together stuff, usually with their own dial. Like Asprey, Fitch, Garrard and a host of other top end English jewellers, they can be a cheap route into some very special vintage watches. Or at least were until I wrote this! The original campaign was sometimes a Borgel and sometimes a Borgel ... lets call it a homage. So was pretty similar to Mallory's watch in 1924. However they were an early Borgel user. The modern stuff shares little but a name.
    This provides a little background

http://www.thejewelleryeditor.com/wa...ule-britannia/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    Having said that - does it wear big at 40mm?
    Not really. I have a longines heritage conquest in 40mm and that wears larger than the mappin

According to M&W it's an ETA 2892-2.
    Surely this is the cheapest 2892 powered watch available. Bargain.

Master
    Sorry but what is the M&W lug to lug size and your wrist size?

I have small wrists but can pull off a 40mm diver. Just concerned the dial is big with regard to the bezel.

Not really. I have a longines heritage conquest in 40mm and that wears larger than the mappin

Master
    Sorry but what is the M&W lug to lug size and your wrist size?

I have small wrists but can pull off a 40mm diver. Just concerned the dial is big with regard to the bezel.
    Lug tip to tip is 46mm. 11mm deep. My wrist across is 64mm

Master
    Blog Entries
    Always a trusty old style firm. My mates partner used to be involved in the corporate gift side of things, used to get most makes of watch serviced Gratis. Sadly no longer with us.

Journeyman

Now that I do like. Amazing what a white face can do.

I've had the odd look at this model a few times over the last couple of years. Never at RRP, it was often discounted to about £650 (not too bad???) but surely has to be a bargain at £285.

Slightly different watch but point taken about the movement, I'll ask and see what they say!!
    That's a crazy price. They are beautifully made and worth every penny of the £950 RRP when compared to other makes at that price and more. They were originally marketed at £1500 when they were first released in 2016'ish.

Regarding movement it is mentioned as swiss but knowing M&P I would think it a top quality one.

Here's mine:

Here's mine:

I have the same but on the Nato strap. I had always assumed it to be a Sellita but could easily be an ETA. It's definitely a date movement as you can hear it click over at midnight. Ridiculously good price now, makes me look rather foolish for accepting a 20% discount and free winder when they were at their original price.

Blog Entries

Me too, and now £250 lighter

A fantastic price for a 2892-2 equipped watch.

I wish it had been a centre second though.

That sub second is halfway up the dial, giving away how small the movement is compared to the watch case.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    That is the only thing that has stopped me spending £285 today.

M&W also said they are discontinued and they want rid of them, that's why so cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    A fantastic price for a 2892-2 equipped watch.

I wish it had been a centre second though.

That sub second is halfway up the dial, giving away how small the movement is compared to the watch case.

Master
    Was going to jump on this but it seems the model available is only the black face, bugger, I liked the white model.
    Last edited by Pitfitter; 6th January 2021 at 17:45.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    I have the same but on the Nato strap. I had always assumed it to be a Sellita but could easily be an ETA. It's definitely a date movement as you can hear it click over at midnight. Ridiculously good price now, makes me look rather foolish for accepting a 20% discount and free winder when they were at their original price.
    I wouldn't worry, you still got a beautiful watch at a stonking price !! :0)

Who would ever have thought they would virtually give them away in the future.

Journeyman
    Hi Guys,

Received the silver dial Clarendon today. Lovely watch and have included a few pics. No booklet but chap from M&W stated that it is a Sellita movement. Well worth the £250 IMHO.

Richy

Ordered a Campaign which arrived today. Lovely watch for the money and I’d be very pleased however the back and sides are covered in loads of fine scratches and the strap is showing signs of wear.

Understand these may be ex display but feels quite sharp to sell as new when it’s arrived in the condition it has. Possibly unlucky as the one below looks immaculate.

Quote Originally Posted by Crammage View Post
    Ordered a Campaign which arrived today. Lovely watch for the money and I’d be very pleased however the back and sides are covered in loads of fine scratches and the strap is showing signs of wear.

Understand these may be ex display but feels quite sharp to sell as new when it’s arrived in the condition it has. Possibly unlucky as the one below looks immaculate.
    Unfortunate, but given the price perhaps a keeper nevertheless.

By the way, if you go to...

'Settings' > 'General Settings' > 'Thread Display Mode' > change that option to 'Linear - Oldest First'

... the forum becomes a lot easier to navigate IMO. More like a typical internet forum.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Unfortunate, but given the price perhaps a keeper nevertheless.

By the way, if you go to...

'Settings' > 'General Settings' > 'Thread Display Mode' > change that option to 'Linear - Oldest First'

... the forum becomes a lot easier to navigate IMO. More like a typical internet forum.
    Aah thank you, it has been grating on me slightly I must say!

Quote Originally Posted by Richy View Post
    Hi Guys,

Received the silver dial Clarendon today. Lovely watch and have included a few pics. No booklet but chap from M&W stated that it is a Sellita movement. Well worth the £250 IMHO.

Richy

Lovely watch. My order was cancelled due to stock running out. Let me know if you decide to flip this at some point.

I just wonder why Mappin & Webb continue to bombard me with adverts stating how wonderful it is to own a Rolex when I’ve been on their waiting list for one for years?? 🙄

Ordered a Campaign. Let's see if the order is fulfilled.

EDIT:

Last edited by TaketheCannoli; 10th January 2021 at 00:31.

Well that delivery has to be a new record! It’s a beautifully executed watch I must say. I have no idea whether they’re worth the original £980 as this type of watch is not what I’d usually go for. However for the £285 I paid it’s an absolute bargain.

Master

That Mappin & Webb looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Well that delivery has to be a new record! It’s a beautifully executed watch I must say. I have no idea whether they’re worth the original £980 as this type of watch is not what I’d usually go for. However for the £285 I paid it’s an absolute bargain.

Did yours come in a box with booklets etc.?

Can anyone confirm what movement is on these?
    I'm seriously thinking of buying one as I keep coming back to it but would just like to know what's inside it.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Double box, outer sleeve and dated warranty card:

Did yours come in a box with booklets etc.?

The "Campaign" isn't for me...bit too early design-wise. I'm not sure why but anything with that round coin-edged pre-50's styling I find old fashioned rather than vintage. That white faced Clarendon looks amazing though...what a bargain.

Double box, outer sleeve and dated warranty card:
    Quite a bit different to mine. Supports my guess it’s been pulled from display and dropped into a generic box.

Thanks for the reply.

I don't know whether it's for me yet but it is a stunning watch. I really like the coin edge as it adds a bit of character to an otherwise completely smooth case.

The dial has a satin finish which is beautiful in real life and the contrast finish of the sub dial is a great....contrast.

The elongated oval hands are lovely too. As I said, not sure whether it's a bit too classy for me.

The "Campaign" isn't for me...bit too early design-wise. I'm not sure why but anything with that round coin-edged pre-50's styling I find old fashioned rather than vintage. That white faced Clarendon looks amazing though...what a bargain.

That's really annoying. Where did you buy it from? Mine came from Goldsmiths.

Quite a bit different to mine. Supports my guess it’s been pulled from display and dropped into a generic box.

Thanks for the reply.

That's really annoying. Where did you buy it from? Mine came from Goldsmiths.
    Same. It’s a shame as I really like it, but knowing about the scratches is grating on me slightly.

Knowing there’s still ‘new’ ones being posted irritates me a little more. I’ve asked for a replacement so hopefully it doesn’t sell out in the meantime.

I hope you get sorted.

Same. It’s a shame as I really like it, but knowing about the scratches is grating on me slightly.

Knowing there’s still ‘new’ ones being posted irritates me a little more. I’ve asked for a replacement so hopefully it doesn’t sell out in the meantime.

I'd order another one and return the original, rather than hoping someone answers the email before they sell out. You'd end up having to post the original back either way even if you wait for a replacement, so no extra effort really.

Just ordered one so I hope it's a brand new one when it arrives. If not let's see if I can wangle some more discount or return it

Blog Entries
    My order was cancelled due to demand

A few more pics:

Could be a good thing I suppose but fingers crossed it comes through.
    Quote Originally Posted by numberjack View Post
    My order was cancelled due to demand

Master
    Mine arrived this morning, I had exactly the same packaging as TTC.

What a heads up, for £285 this was an absolute no brainier.

In line with it’s heritage I have put on a NATO. The original strap is Alligator so I’d imagine that would be the best of £100 just by its self.

Master

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Like that, changes the look a lot.