closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Adhesive Dial Spots

Hybrid View

Adhesive Dial Spots

Hi
    I'm looking at fitting an nh36 movement, with the grey plastic movement holder, to a case with the crown at the 3 o'clock position. The dial I wish to use is designed for a 4 o'clock crown. I was thinking that I could remove the dial feet and fit it in place using stick on dial spots. I have only just discovered them on the internet. Has anyone used these before. The movement has a date ring so there will be little space for the spots. It seems like a cheap fix but will they do the job? Any thoughts please.

I'll get some and see how I get on with them. They seem popular according to Cousins.

Grand Master
    Bad idea in my opinion, dial spots are a bodged repair. It’s possible to buy repair dial feet with a flat round mounting flange designed to be soldered, with careful trimming these can be affixed using 2 pack epoxy adhesive but it’s a tricky job to do. I’ve just done one on an old Tissot and it took a couple of hours of very fiddly work.

The problem with the Seiko is the press- fit of the feet into the plastic movement ring, the repair feet I’ve described need to be just the right thickness to get a friction fit that holds the dial but doesn’t grip too tight. There’s also potential for the flat mounting flange to add to the dial thickness and affect the way it fits, this can usually be worked around but it all adds to the complexity.

Are you sure the movement holder doesn’t have extra holes to allow for both dial fitments? Or is it possible to carefully drill the holes it would need? That woukd avoid breaking the feet off a perfectly good dial!
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 10th January 2021 at 13:32.

Watch Repair Channel on YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    Watch Repair Channel on YouTube.
    Thank you. Very interesting. Have to buy more tools. :)
    Last edited by Kaffe; 12th January 2021 at 21:37.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Bad idea in my opinion, dial spots are a bodged repair. It’s possible to buy repair dial feet with a flat round mounting flange designed to be soldered, with careful trimming these can be affixed using 2 pack epoxy adhesive but it’s a tricky job to do. I’ve just done one on an old Tissot and it took a couple of hours of very fiddly work.

The problem with the Seiko is the press- fit of the feet into the plastic movement ring, the repair feet I’ve described need to be just the right thickness to get a friction fit that holds the dial but doesn’t grip too tight. There’s also potential for the flat mounting flange to add to the dial thickness and affect the way it fits, this can usually be worked around but it all adds to the complexity.

Are you sure the movement holder doesn’t have extra holes to allow for both dial fitments? Or is it possible to carefully drill the holes it would need? That woukd avoid breaking the feet off a perfectly good dial!
    Thanks for your detailed and informative reply. Unfortunately the plastic spacer doesn't have extra holes for a 3 o'clock placement. It is the very reasons you have given that is making me shy away from fixing new feet. Also fixing them in exactly the right position. I don't have the skill. I have thought about drilling extra holes into the spacer. The only problem with this is that there are gaps in the movement to allow the holes in the spacer. If I drill holes in a different place then I would have to shorten the dial feet as they would sit on top of the metal movement plate. I think the wisest solution may be to find a Seiko movement holder that fits the 7a26 and nh36 movement and is designed for a Seiko watch with the crown at 3 o'clock and will also fit the SKX case. I have purchased some dial spots but it just doesn't feel right using them. It is not an expensive mod but I like it to be properly constructed. Thank you again.