Journeyman

Latest Omega Speedmaster launched

It's finally here!

https://youtu.be/CizeeuIiZcI

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Here's a pic

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Well there’s a surprise, it’s just like it’s predecessors!!

Nothing wrong with that though except no doubt a hefty price hike.

It’s nice that Omega are including some details that fans have been asking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lovely looking watch. Well done Omega.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Well there’s a surprise, it’s just like it’s predecessors!!

Nothing wrong with that though except no doubt a hefty price hike.
    7000 Euros. Yikes! And the insert is aluminium without a ceramic upgrade. Seems a bit of a cheap move given all the other modernisations.

Yet still only 50m WR on a £6k watch. I just don't think that's acceptable these days. You get 100 / 200m on a Seiko chronograph out of H Samuel!

Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    It’s nice that Omega are including some details that fans have been asking for.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Yet still only 50m WR on a £6k watch. I just don't think that's acceptable these days. You get 100 / 200m on a Seiko chronograph out of H Samuel!
    I am sure there are dozens of saturation divers who just crossed the Speedmaster off their Xmas list for that very reason.
    Last edited by Padders; 5th January 2021 at 14:50.

It isn't about saturation divers, it's about practicality.

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    I am sure there are dozens of saturation divers who just crossed the Speedmaster off their Xmas for that very reason.

Who swims in a Speedmaster. They are made for going up, not down.

Nice looking watch. Stepped dial, DON insert. Shame they didn't use an applied logo.

Is it really? Are there loads of people who've had flooded Speedmasters washing their car or dinner plates?

Personally, I always take a watch off when doing either, whatever the watch.

OK, you probably shouldn't swim in a Speedmaster, but do people really need to?

That said, at £6K, it doesn't seem to offer much over a used model - I won't be selling my 1997 one and spending the extra, for sure!

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Good move on the stepped dial, DON and old style chrono seconds hand IMO. I like it and the inevitable price rise to £5.3k isn’t as bad as I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post

Nice looking watch. Stepped dial, DON insert. Shame they didn't use an applied logo.
    They have on the sapphire model. The hesalite only has the printed logo

Master
    Is it any thicker than the out going model?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Prices in Eur (Germany):
    Hesalite with bracelet 6100 eur (5500 gbp)
    Sapphire with bracelet 7000 eur (6325gbp)

Master
    Any idea if the bracelet/clasp is adjustable as per the Seamaster

Master
    Blog Entries
    White gold and sedna gold models

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC1yRhSJraQ
    Last edited by joaocpneves; 5th January 2021 at 14:00.

Genuinely can’t understand why anyone on here would argue that 100m WR is an unreasonable expectation of an upgraded watch at this price point. That’s just absurd.

Anyway, lovely watch but now far too expensive to consider buying new.

Blog Entries
    The “old” Speedmaster was not in line with the other Omega price wise. I guess they had to do something to get it over £5K. I must be getting old but it seems only yesterday the Speedmaster was about £3K.

50m wrt is ok for swimming - but not a dive watch. Buy a Seamaster for that? WRT is all marketing anyway - long posts on this somewhere

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Any idea if the bracelet/clasp is adjustable as per the Seamaster
    no.

Some people complain it doesn’t have a step-less adjustment, but with the holes in the clasp, you can actually adjust it to 1/3rd, 2/3rd, and if you need more, you can add or remove a full link. I think the steps of 1/3rd of a link are small enough.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    no.

Some people complain it doesn’t have a step-less adjustment, but with the holes in the clasp, you can actually adjust it to 1/3rd, 2/3rd, and if you need more, you can add or remove a full link. I think the steps of 1/3rd of a link are small enough.
    Thanks...it is ovepriced for what it is and can't believe they haven't included a better adjustment at this price point.

Why?

Craftsman
    That BNIB I sold in SC a few months back for £2895 is starting to look cheap......

I remember when I bought my first Speedmaster new from a dealer for £1000! Think I bought and sold 3 Moonwatch over the years, with the price steadily creeping up each time. My last and final time I had one was in about 2012 and I think I bought and sold that secondhand for about £1400. I could never decide whether I liked them or not as they felt like a very basic watch for the money. Last year, I tried a Speedmaster '57 with the co-axial movement but again didn't bond and flipped it.

I agree, this update is squarely aimed at getting the brands models into the same "Rolex" price bracket by justifying it based on upgrade. Breitling did this when they switched from ETA to 'in-house' B01 movements with their Navitimer back in 2013ish and the price suddenly doubled overnight from about £3000 to £6000.

Thanks...it is ovepriced for what it is and can't believe they haven't included a better adjustment at this price point.
    Whilst it’s overpriced relative to what it used to cost, I’m not sure it’s overpriced relative to the market.

5.5K for an Omega with a unique-to-brand co-axial chrono with the whole moon history (if you’re into that sort of thing) seems relatively fair, compared to what they charge for the seamaster... and people seem to think that’s a bargain (compared to the sub).

The old speedie was hailed as an icon which could be bought for a reasonable price, Omega have decided they don’t want that rep for their watch and want to push further into luxury. Fair enough, that’s their call and as per other threads, common to many brands right now.

Blimey the cost of a Tintin speedmaster suddenly looks fairly reasonable. Must say I like the look of the bracelet etc on the new speedmaster.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by joaocpneves View Post
    White gold and sedna gold models

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC1yRhSJraQ
    Nice looking watches those. £30k for the red gold is excessive compared to the competition though and £39k for the white gold is utterly ridiculous. No other manufacturer has this kind of up-charge for white gold. I doubt that a single one will sell.

Eta: As a point of comparison: The upcharge to go from steel to white gold on a Rolex Daytona is £22,650. For the same change on the Omega Speedy the cost is £33,710.
    Last edited by Satori; 5th January 2021 at 14:52.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Genuinely can’t understand why anyone on here would argue that 100m WR is an unreasonable expectation of an upgraded watch at this price point. That’s just absurd...
    Totally agree with that.
    The Speedmaster needs no dive watch WR, however 100m would be practical.
    And yes, there is a situation when it makes sense. Personally I would love to take the Speedy to short holidays. But if this includes some swimming pool sessions then you end up with either leaving your pricey watch in the hotel room (and having no watch on, or taking a second one with you only for this), or simply choose another watch for the whole trip.
    Seems like you need a Seamaster as well.. at least according to Omega.

Otherwise judging from pictures the bracelet is a plus. For me it recalls the 1479 both in look and dimensions.

One detail I'm not keen on is the minute track. It has only two marks within a second where Speedmasters usually have four.
    I prefer the original not because of practical reasons but visually it's expressing a more precise instrument.

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by witti View Post

One detail I'm not keen on is the minute track. It has only two marks within a second where Speedmasters usually have four.
    I prefer the original not because of practical reasons but visually it's expressing a more precise instrument.
    I know what you mean, but think this now reflects the beat rate of the movement so it is actually more precise :)

Quote Originally Posted by witti View Post
    Totally agree with that.
    The Speedmaster needs no dive watch WR, however 100m would be practical.
    And yes, there is a situation when it makes sense. Personally I would love to take the Speedy to short holidays. But if this includes some swimming pool sessions then you end up with either leaving your pricey watch in the hotel room (and having no watch on, or taking a second one with you only for this), or simply choose another watch for the whole trip.
    Seems like you need a Seamaster as well.. at least according to Omega.

Otherwise judging from pictures the bracelet is a plus. For me it recalls the 1479 both in look and dimensions.

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk
    Funnily enough, that’s precisely the scenario I was thinking of when I posted.

It's acceptable if it genuinely is water resistant to 50m for a sustained period of time. I've no reason to doubt it isn't, Omega have plenty of experience in making watches to withstand much greater pressures, so I expect that unless you're regularly diving deeper than 50m the Speedmaster should cope fine.

But highlighting the 'Dot Over 90' as some kind of special feature in the Youtube promo is unacceptable, and a complete 'so f**king what'.

Quote Originally Posted by momentum View Post
    I know what you mean, but think this now reflects the beat rate of the movement so it is actually more precise :)
    You are right. Still, stylistically I prefer more markers.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Funnily enough, that’s precisely the scenario I was thinking of when I posted.
    For this very reason I almost bought once a Speedmaster 3113, but talked myself out based on feedbacks about poor reliability of its co-axial movement.

Wow - a Speedmaster! How interesting.

Master
    Blog Entries
    what do you think about the writing on the back?

i find it a bit ambiguous, for me i interpret that the moonwatch was flight qualified for nasa in 1965, NOT that this watch is flight qualified by nasa.

Blog Entries
    This thread os going off on an old tangent about wrt and where you can wear a watch - Omega states this on their website: https://www.omegawatches.com/fileadm...ance_chart.pdf

It used to be a diagrammatic like this:

Other places have said it's mostly marketing at the end of the day, If you look at the NASA tests - they were much more stringent than going for a swim in the sea.

I consider myself fortunate - I cannot tell them apart. A classic design reinvented to death.

A good update.Would have liked greater water resistance and some on the go adjustment with the bracelet but overall its a home run.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using TZ-UK mobile app

Prices in Eur (Germany):
    Hesalite with bracelet 6100 eur (5500 gbp)
    Sapphire with bracelet 7000 eur (6325gbp)
    £825 for a sapphire crystal ?? Wtf

Journeyman
    Agree with others that greater water resistance would have been good - and for the exact same reason. I love a watch that can do everything (within reason) and being able to take one on holiday and keep it on your wrist the whole time is great.

Also, does it have fauxtina? I can't quite tell from the photos. I really hope it doesn't.

Master
    Not too bad if you like to use a NATO; the basic model is £5200 with a decent coated strap and closed back.I find the complaints about price a bit unrealistic....the rivals ask similar amounts. They’ll all try to charge what the market will tolerate.
    As for that old favourite, water resistance, that’s always been a part of the package. Hasn’t stopped massive sales over many decades. Great watch. I’m tempted, which is awkward because I’m trying to be good.....

what do you think about the writing on the back?

i find it a bit ambiguous, for me i interpret that the moonwatch was flight qualified for nasa in 1965, NOT that this watch is flight qualified by nasa.

My understanding is that the new watches have not been flight qualified. There was something in Fratello about how more recently, NASA have given Omega their parameters and Omega conduct the testing themselves. Essentially, NASA are happy to sign off Omega’s testing.

As for water resistance, I’m not sure what the beef is. It’s not a watch for swimming in, don’t take it on holiday. Take a G-shock / affordable diver instead and don’t worry about it getting nicked / water damaged. Alternatively, buy a different watch that you can take on holiday but can’t use for timing rockets in space. It doesn’t have to be versatile, it’s a chronograph which can go into space.

On the point of WR, if 10 Bar was possible without noticeable changes to the case/pushers/etc, that'd be fine, but I wonder how practical that would be.

The point of the Speedmaster is it's barely changed since 1969 (and even, really, if we're honest, before that), there have been other watches bearing the Speedmaster name over the decades, but if you want the 'Moon watch', you don't want a DSSD version of it... (I appreciate that may be stretching the point a little, but I'm sure you understand what I'm getting at).

Anyway, buy or not, like it or not, it doesn't really matter to me - I have a mid-90s one and that's all I'll ever have.

I see they've also decided on the Rolex-value calculation based upon number of characters on the watch...

M
    Last edited by snowman; 5th January 2021 at 16:36.

It's got some tweaks for the geeks, a new movement and a 25% or whatever it is price increase.

Not really very exciting is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Miocene View Post
    It's got some tweaks for the geeks, a new movement and a 25% or whatever it is price increase.

Not really very exciting is it?
    What did you expect?

A full lume dial? 500M WR? Solar quartz?

To be honest, while it probably doesn't entirely justify the price, the Co-Axial movement isn't a trivial change, is it?

M

I quite like it. Looking at the price independently from the old one price it’s good value but yes it’s a big jump from the old one.

I have a new one BNIB that I never got round to wearing as my new Fifty Fathoms took all the wrist time that I will shift on and try a newer one.

Fully agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    That is absolutely awful.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    £825 for a sapphire crystal ?? Wtf
    The sapphire version also has applied logo and exhibition cashback. Not sure if the movement decoration is equal on the hesalite/solid cashback version.

Price increase aside which was inevitable and tbh I think positions it about right for what you are getting, my only slight disappointment is with the step dial, is it just me or does that look a bit soft?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    It's acceptable if it genuinely is water resistant to 50m for a sustained period of time. I've no reason to doubt it isn't, Omega have plenty of experience in making watches to withstand much greater pressures, so I expect that unless you're regularly diving deeper than 50m the Speedmaster should cope fine.
    Can't snorkel with it according to Omega ratings (posted earlier in the thread). Unless I've been snorkelling all wrong, it's no different from swimming from a depth perspective, so I wouldn't wear this one in a pool personally.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post