closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Latest Omega Speedmaster launched

Master
    Blog Entries
    the box now takes less space in the closet!
    (no more loupe, extra straps, spring bar remover)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you sure? Thought just a redesigned box with hopefully items underneath...?
    Quote Originally Posted by joaocpneves View Post

Sent from my SM-A505FN using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gaurav_tzuk View Post
    Just seen the pricing from WOS

£5370 hesalite
    £6120 sapphire
    £5100 hesalite on rubber
    £5840 sapphire on leather

The sapphire ones have always been an open caseback?
    Well i thought Rolex had gone crazy but those prices are insane if correct.

Good updates but the prices being asked now are a bit high imho. Not just Omega but a lot of brands over the last 5 years have really rocketed in price. I guess the demand most be there otherwise they wouldn’t be doing it!

Is it wrong to say that I simply prefer my third-hand, bog-standard, 1861 powered, 3570 on an Uncle Seiko 1171 than either of these new versions? I hope not. :)

Master
    I think they are competitive against current market prices; for instance the least expensive sapphire model , with strap, is about £5800. A comparable IWC (3716) is £7300. And the Omega has the more advanced movement. Which would you buy?
    Last edited by paskinner; 8th January 2021 at 13:19.

If this is the case, feels like a very apple-like move. Ditch the extras, increase the profit margin.

Craftsman

Competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I think they are competitive against current market prices; for instance the least expensive sapphire model , with strap, is about £5800. A comparable IWC (3716) is £7300. And the Omega has the more advanced movement. Which would you buy?

Agree on the above. As much as you can call any ££££watch spend truly justified, in the current market the Speedmaster still offer a lot of bang for your dollar. Omega Speedmaster vs Rolex Submariner, that debate has been going around for many a year and obviously Omega feel that they can price close to the Rolex Submariner and let the buyers decide.

Updated speedy, fully available in store and none of the Rolex buying nonsense, they probably feel they are on to a big seller here. Do the updates on this new release value the price increase over the discontinued version, probably not but as is the current trend with nearly all manufacturers, if the opportunity is there to slap on a price increase they take it.

Caught this on Blowers Instagram regards the new incoming speedmaster, “has sold out at a retail price of £5,370 and already achieving premiums, we can take a look at three discontinued #Speedmaster models we have recently taken in!” Really, the new Speedmaster has sold out and buyers are paying a premium, got to love some of the BS that dealers put out there.

Master

Any confirmation on this ?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Yep, smaller box with a removable travel watch box. No fancy extras so loupe/nato/velcro strap/paperweight etc. Just the watch and the boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post
    Yep, smaller box with a removable travel watch box. No fancy extras so loupe/nato/velcro strap/paperweight etc. Just the watch and the boxes.
    If you take the previous generation box and extras that's roughly £300/400?

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Master
    10p says most of those who moaned about the big box are now going to moan that it’s gone.

I have to say the black nato that comes in the current package is superb - that would be a loss for the new package particularly as the new bracelet isn't exactly a 'looker' compared to the current one (even though I am sure it is a better bracelet).

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Does anyone know the code for the OE Black Nato ?
    (Is it 031ZSZ002083 ?).
    I would like to buy a BNIW one (WTB placed on here).

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think it looks great but so did every previous version.

It’s become Triggers broom and is no longer anything to do with the space programme.

Master
    Blog Entries
    A decent price hike and remove the nice extras in the packet. Omega kicking the customer to squeeze a little extra. Speedmaster it feels like has doubled in RRP in the last 5 years. Anyone have the history?

A couple of free straps is a great Value add to a package. See what VC have done with the overseas. Poor move my Omega.

When I bought a new one of these for my sons 18th birthday 17 years ago, they were £1,300. The 'same' watch is now almost £6,000. People will probably pay it, but it's no longer the answer to the question..."I want to get my first high quality 'proper' watch, what should I get?" It's too expensive for that. (The answer now if BB58 I think)

Master
    Blog Entries
    2008 £1600
    2009 £1950

Those were the prices when I bought mine in 2008 it was on the weekend of the price hike (I was unaware) but the dealer let me have it for the old price.

To compare a Kermit was £3050 in the same day and in the shop window as my other option - I love my speedie but I’m such an idiot....
    Last edited by pete-r; 10th January 2021 at 10:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    When I bought a new one of these for my sons 18th birthday 17 years ago, they were £1,300. The 'same' watch is now almost £6,000. People will probably pay it, but it's no longer the answer to the question..."I want to get my first high quality 'proper' watch, what should I get?" It's too expensive for that. (The answer now if BB58 I think)
    I feel the BB58 is a bit pricey for that - first expensive watch should be in the £2500 or below region (in my opinion of course). At under £2k, the old speedmaster was exactly that and could be had for a long time at that price with discounts.

Unboxing on YouTube.search for A ThreeOneFour.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by amcneill View Post
    Unboxing on YouTube.search for A ThreeOneFour.

Thanks for the link, really liking all the new details, especially the five link bracelet and new clasp. Adding up all the details, thinner, and the new movement I would say its worth it.

Master
    Yes, watches used to be cheaper. The situation is as normal, if you feel a rival company offers a similar watch, at a better price, buy it. It’s a market, you choose.....
    And if a model is seen as over-priced it won’t sell. Then the price will fall......
    Incidentally, it could be that the earlier Speedmasters were under-priced. After all, BMC sold a million Minis, and lost money. It can happen.
    Last edited by paskinner; 10th January 2021 at 11:31.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Had a look at some of the videos of the new watch, is it me or have the lugs been slightly recut?

The lugs appear more of a tonneau shape though the silhouette looks the same. Would need to see the heads compared as it might be the end links tricking my eyes.

Either way I don’t like it compared to the old one, but the old one on the new bracelet would look lovely if it fits.

So, it has a new, modern movement to finally justify a significant price rise.
    (Must be the movement because the specs of the case or bracelet haven't been improved significantly.)
    Clearly Omega was struggling to lift the price of a best seller for long time.
    It's now co-axial and more accurate.
    Now at least you get additional value for the extra bucks, right?
    Or do you?
    Because if you spend even more you can get the 321, which is obviously in another league... with its 80 years old movement.
    Wait what?

From my side I'm happy with my bog standard Speedmaster with the bulletproof Lemania inside.

(And don't tell me only the 321 went to the Moon. In fact all has been used in outer space at least during EVA.
    Sorry, that's just me, but I don't feel the urge for the 321, apparently because I have other Omega chronos with it.)

All in all I would definitely trust more in old Lemanias than any co-axial movements if my life would depend on them.
    But selling an 80 years old movement for a huge premium is also odd.
    And trying to set the DON bezel as a USP for the new model is an utter nonsense.

Marketing is clearly struggling to do their job, which is sad especially taking into account the product here is one of the most significant watches of the last century or even all time.

Maybe the whole industry should stop relying on the good old stories and start creating new icons?

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

I didn’t realise the new one was out in the stores already!

Craftsman
    I do like the new tapered bracelet as opposed to the more modern style of the 1861. Just a shame they didn't add an adjustable clasp like they've been doing on the PO for years.

Master
    Step dial, sapphire sandwich, METAS, applied logo, female end links, shorter lug to lug, proper tapered bracelet, antimagnetism uprated, easier crown winding. I like it. A lot. This could be the Speedy for me.