closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Latest Omega Speedmaster launched

I always think to myself “would this watch have passed the Tom Hanks test in Castaway?” If yes, then all is good in the world but if not, then I would probably opt for a Seiko PADI Turtle. There you go.

Gorgeous dial (as ever) but the height of the watch is just too much for me (the lens appears to me to stand up out of proportion). Water resistance also remains below my comfort zone - I just don't want to have to think about what my watch may or may not cope with.

I like it, particularly the sapphire with applied logo. Don't think the price is out of step with comparable watches, just out of step with previous Speedmasters. One question...does anyone know if the box will fit through a standard sized front door?

If it has a large cat flap then maybe

The big box gets a lot of flack, but, little known fact, it was designed to protect the watch on re-entry.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    What did you expect?

A full lume dial? 500M WR? Solar quartz?

To be honest, while it probably doesn't entirely justify the price, the Co-Axial movement isn't a trivial change, is it?

M
    The new movement isn't the factor in driving the price, it's just what the market will accept. It'll be interesting to see what happens to the price of 2nd hand speedmasters now. Perhaps I should have kept hold of my Ultraman after all.

I was being a bit miserable in my original comments - I struggle more and more to absorb the price hikes seen across the board year after year.

What I don't get is the fact the redesign makes it look less like the actual moonwatch. Surely the person wanting moonwatch will want the one that is based on the one worn by Aldrin.

Wonder what the prices of the current model will be on the secondary market.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    What I don't get is the fact the redesign makes it look less like the actual moonwatch. Surely the person wanting moonwatch will want the one that is based on the one worn by Aldrin.

Wonder what the prices of the current model will be on the secondary market.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I can see existing models either holding or firming. Who is seriously going to pay £5K plus (with no prospect of imminent discount) when a mint recent 1861 model is like ~£3K. It can only increase demand for recent models, which after all aren't all that different.

I am not sure I agree about the point of it looking less like Buzz'z watch. Yes the dial text is a step backwards, I can't put my finger on what is wrong but it just somehow is. The pushers, spear chrono hand, dial step and bezel though are more like the 105.012-65 than any other recent watch. I don't like the bracelet at all though, the 1116 was crap in its day, (which was 1969-71 ie later than the supposed inspiration watch) and I can't see whey they have gone back to it, the issued watches were not taken on any bracelets at all of course. The 1116 is hateful and fussy, but at least the modern version is solid at least, I have tried the all gold version at an event. A very similar design was used on the Dynamic 2 and also Speedy Reduced, it was a hair puller.

The caseback text is a fudge. The co-ax fairy dust has given them an excuse to add to the price tag but has broken the link with NASA certification. A thorny issue for Omega's marketing team for sure.
    Last edited by Padders; 5th January 2021 at 22:14.

Latest Omega Speedmaster launched

Quote Originally Posted by Padders View Post
    Yes the dial text is a step backwards, I can't put my finger on what is wrong but it just somehow is.
    Interesting - your comment made me go back and look and you’re right. The text on the existing version (in the left) is more compact, width-wise, and lower down. And it looks better than the new version to me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TheGent; 5th January 2021 at 22:08.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    Nice looking watches those. £30k for the red gold is excessive compared to the competition though and £39k for the white gold is utterly ridiculous. No other manufacturer has this kind of up-charge for white gold. I doubt that a single one will sell.

Eta: As a point of comparison: The upcharge to go from steel to white gold on a Rolex Daytona is £22,650. For the same change on the Omega Speedy the cost is £33,710.
    At £40k your in Lange chronograph territory... I agree that looks ambitious.

And here’s the side by side

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by joaocpneves View Post
    what do you think about the writing on the back?

Way too much info/achievements on the back

Do like the bracelet though

Apprentice
    A see through case back and a 100M WR is desirable.

Is it me or have they increased the size / depth of the crown? Maybe in an effort to make it easier to wind?
    I don’t think I will be upgrading my Moonwatch for the new one. Other than the chrono second hand I dislike all the changes, the previous model is almost perfect as a chronograph for legibility, new version does not improve it visually in any way.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Yet still only 50m WR on a £6k watch. I just don't think that's acceptable these days. You get 100 / 200m on a Seiko chronograph out of H Samuel!

AP 50M WR on a £26k Watch......

The speedy is a bargin in comparison

Looking at the new one, can't see myself upgrading from the 145.022 I have.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by optix View Post
    AP 50M WR on a £26k Watch......

The speedy is a bargin in comparison

Looking at the new one, can't see myself upgrading from the 145.022 I have.

VC 4500 Overseas 150 WR on a £19K watch. Where do you draw the line?

The amount of text on the back is is reminding me of the post nominals thread from yesterday.

Dot over 90, Step dial - its just Omega trying to get a bit cash back from the vintage monster they created all those years ago, personally I would put the money towards an original pre 74 watch, at least the value is likely to climb and you can say you have an original step dial/Tritium/DO90..

Craftsman
    I do appreciate that the bracelet on the Hesalite version is fully brushed (vs. some polished parts on the Sapphire model). Although I still prefer the look of the 1171. Give me an 1171 with a push button clasp and I’d be a happy man.

Sounds weird, but I almost feel a sense of loss for the reasonably priced, iconic sports watch that I love. This new model has entered into territory that’s no longer attainable for me (financially or psychologically). Makes me sad.

It seems now every release has a DON insert. I wonder if this will affect the values of the original inserts and will people still be willing to pay up to £5k for a NOS insert if in time they will be able to buy one on the cheap from a service centre etc once the Watch is rolled out.

Anyone examined them in detail yet against the originals to see if there are any differences, size, font etc?

No flies on Omega 6k wow that seems a big jump from the current version

Sent from my SM-G970F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Overall I like it but honestly prefer the older bracelet and the clasp for me is a bit of a pig. The engraved lines don’t work and feel like a random design addition I don’t think works with the rest of the watch. Fitting the clasp from the 1957 trilogy watch would have been better stylistically and it has a micro adjusting clasp.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanV View Post
    Sounds weird, but I almost feel a sense of loss for the reasonably priced, iconic sports watch that I love. This new model has entered into territory that’s no longer attainable for me (financially or psychologically). Makes me sad.
    My thoughts too. I have two Speedies bought new, the #ST1 and #ST2, which cost £4100 and £4700 respectively. If and when an #ST3 comes along it will be, what, £6500+? I was hoping to continue collecting them but I'm getting priced out of the market and they're becoming even more jewellery-like for men.

On that basis, I'm out.

Yes I feel that too. Same feeling I had when Submariners RRP went north of £2k. The tool watch element was lost for me. Maybe it’s my own financial position in the world, but these prices make the watch too valuable to be used in the intended way. I think it stings more with the moonwatch the price has just gone up and up for a watch that was exactly the same as one you could buy x number of years ago. The changes made here (co-axial movement especially) may warrant a price increase, but that should have been an increase on a current watch that costs maybe £2000. Ah well - I can’t change the world, but I’m enjoying microbrand watches so much more these days, particularly as the quality has gone up and the prices stayed relatively level!

This makes the £10k 321 seem a bit more justifiable :)

Quote Originally Posted by tommyzzj View Post
    This makes the £10k 321 seem a bit more justifiable :)
    All part of the master plan...?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    It seems now every release has a DON insert. I wonder if this will affect the values of the original inserts and will people still be willing to pay up to £5k for a NOS insert if in time they will be able to buy one on the cheap from a service centre etc once the Watch is rolled out.

Anyone examined them in detail yet against the originals to see if there are any differences, size, font etc?
    C on tachymetre is different.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    All part of the master plan...?

I think the opposite. You can now get an applied logo and DON for 5k less.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I echo the grizzling about WR.
    50m doesn't give me the confidence to get a watch wet despite assurances, and that is prohibitive for me as I wash them under the tap and also shower / pull dog out of rivers and ponds etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    I think the opposite. You can now get an applied logo and DON for 5k less.
    Well perhaps all part of the strategy then!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post

But highlighting the 'Dot Over 90' as some kind of special feature in the Youtube promo is unacceptable, and a complete 'so f**king what'.
    arrrgh yes, how silly was that?? why does it matter? does it make it more collectable all of a sudden? It comes across as a bit desperate to find things to say about what is in fact a lovely watch...

Well perhaps all part of the strategy then!

indeed... if it works both ways that's genius marketing surely haha

Quote Originally Posted by tommyzzj View Post
    indeed... if it works both ways that's genius marketing surely haha
    Haha - it certainly is...

Master
    Haha - it certainly is...

I love the Speedmaster and to be honest when funds allow I would really like a 321 if they're obtainable at RRP. However, you're right to think about how they line up. You quickly go from an existing Speedmaster at 3k to a new one at 5k, then a sapphire version at 7k. It just feels a bit of a jump to 12k, although the movement is clearly in a different league. I also agree with people mentioning the WR, at 5BAR you really have to take care whilst at 10BAR you don't need to give it another thought. Also, for those referencing historic reasons for the lower WR I believe the new 321 is actually higher?

Craftsman
    not enough of an upgrade for the extra money. disappointed to be honest.
    i’d rather buy the discontinued model at the old price.

Blog Entries
    I just checked the UK site - and seems they are either 'SOLD OUT' (hesalite) or on 'WAITING LIST' (sapphire). Looks like Omega have a winner.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I just checked the UK site - and seems they are either 'SOLD OUT' (hesalite) or on 'WAITING LIST' (sapphire). Looks like Omega have a winner.
    Rubbish...that's just a marketing ploy to compete with Rolex...they have 10 of each in the safe if you go in the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Rubbish...that's just a marketing ploy to compete with Rolex...they have 10 of each in the safe if you go in the shop.
    Yep, they're learning how to drip feed instead of flooding the market to avoid giving out 30% left right and centre like they used to.

Craftsman
    When I heard this was going to be launched,I had already convinced myself it was just another ridiculous type of limited edition that has blurred into obscurity like so many before.

After 20 minutes of research, I admit I was so wrong.

Can’t wait to get my hands on one now.

Craftsman
    As an existing speedie owner, there's nothing really to dislike about the new steel models, but similarly nothing sufficiently different to make me want one. Then again, you can't really change the pro "moonwatch" as the more it is changed, the less it is the moonwatch!!

Overall, my main thought is that I'm glad I bought my sapphire sandwich pro a couple of years ago and am quite happy to keep it, over paying the extra for the new version. I would think good news for residual values of current models too.

Also feel it's a bit of a shame it can no longer really be considered the more affordable icon of the luxury watch market that it has been until the last few years. I remember having similar thoughts when the big box models were introduced a few years ago when the price increase seemed to be for the box and the rarely used extras (and the bracelet screws). The subsequent general price increases and now new model have seen off the affordability appeal in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by peterdo View Post
    That BNIB I sold in SC a few months back for £2895 is starting to look cheap......

Total bargain... was sorely tempted. lucky buyer.

Master
    I have put my name down on the waiting list for the Sapphire edition; but have also asked to look at the ED white as I quite like the size of the FOIS I just purchased. So would like to see in person on my wrist before I make a decision.
    Last edited by shoppy; 7th January 2021 at 12:20.

I've been promised my AD's first one (Hesalite) but as I just bought the current version I won't be taking them up on it. If anyone wants one but can't get one let me know and you can have this one.

I don't know when I'll be getting my hands on it of course as it is an Ernest Jones and they are in lockdown so I am assuming march unless they contact me for a click and collect type of thing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    I consider myself fortunate - I cannot tell them apart. A classic design reinvented to death.
    Pleased to learn I’m not the only one. I will buy one but they all look the same!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by shoppy View Post
    I have put my name down on the waiting list for the Saphire but also asked to look to at the Ed white as I quite like the size of the FOIS. So would like to see in person on my wrist band make a decision.
    Have to agree with you on the ED white.. very nice. I’ve got a FOIS which IMHO looked nicer than the PRO even on my 7.5inch wrist.
    Plus I don’t need to rent a storage unit for the box :)

I know what you mean - I guess it's less sadness as irrelevance for me.

I don't ever feel interested in Rolex Subs and I think an element is the pricing - They really don't do anything that far cheaper watches don't, except say Rolex on the dial.

The Speedmaster did do something interesting at £2-2.5K. It was a quality chrono with an interesting back story and, I think, a damned good looking watch.

At £5K+ it's just another expensive chronograph.

Luckily I have one already, so I don't need to worry - It doesn't have a big box, it doesn't have a dot over the 90, it doesn't have War and Peace on the back and it's not a coaxial chronometer, hell, it doesn't even have a bracelet! None of that matters a jot to me, though

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    It is iconic. But the design has just never float my boat! Never really had any desire for Speedies......

BW,
    Chi Kai

Craftsman
    Having owned the previous hesalite Speedmaster I did find the crown a little small for winding, they have now increased the size of this.
    I also found the pushers a little hard to engage, this has also been update.
    An extra benefit -anti-magnetic ! I can now use the speedy while at the laptop.

With these 3 issues solved, for me personally this now seems like the perfect chronograph.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedie View Post
    Having owned the previous hesalite Speedmaster I did find the crown a little small for winding, they have now increased the size of this.
    I also found the pushers a little hard to engage, this has also been update.
    An extra benefit -anti-magnetic ! I can now use the speedy while at the laptop.

With these 3 issues solved, for me personally this now seems like the perfect chronograph.
    You had problems using your Speedy at your laptop? Is it from the 1950s and powered by a cyclotron?

Master
    Just seen the pricing from WOS

£5370 hesalite
    £6120 sapphire
    £5100 hesalite on rubber
    £5840 sapphire on leather

The sapphire ones have always been an open caseback?
    Last edited by gaurav_tzuk; 7th January 2021 at 20:17.