closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rotor noise on Rolex - is this normal?

Master

Rotor noise on Rolex - is this normal?

Good evening all,

I discovered last weekend the rotor on my 16710 (2004 watch) making a slight noise. I somehow didn't hear it for the couple weeks I've worn it and operationally it's been fine and keeping good time.

I've taken a video of the noise to see if anyone have any thoughts? It was last serviced in 2012 and probably due a service anyhow.

Would be good to hear what the watchmakers and knowledgeable chaps on here think. I do hope it's nothing, but in the meantime, I'm putting it aside just in case this is something more serious. I've owned other 3185 calibre movements (as well as other Rolex watches) but not heard similar noises.

https://youtu.be/gdieY3CyF04

Cheers,
    Will

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I have a 3135 based movement and do not hear the same as your demonstrate. Unlike the 3235 which has ball-bearing rotor bearings which can be heard, the 3135 has virtually silent rotor sounds. Like you say - maybe due a service. Hopefully others will be along soon.

Sounds like it needs a service to me. My 16600 sea dweller makes a similar noise/vibration but it’s keeping excellent time.

Master
    I’ve had numerous 3130/3135 movements and never heard rotor noise.

Master
    Needs a service, my El Primero was very noisy, came back silent.

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk

Master
    None of mine make a noise, the only watch that did was my wife’s DJ which Rolex resolved in a warranty repair.

Master
    Thanks all, yup I'll get it serviced and report back what the matter was. Will avoid wearing in case it gets further damaged.

Master
    I had the same thing earlier in the year and just put the watch away in case I caused any damage. Just waiting for RSC to re-open and to be able to actually get there!

Most likely the rotor bearing/rotor post. I've had the same problem on three separate rolex movements over the years, and if I hear the "Buzz", I don't wear the watch until it's been serviced.
    I'm pretty sure these parts are replaced during servicing as a matter of course. I even had a F.O.C. repair of my Deepsea when the noise started when it was a little under three years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazz View Post
    Most likely the rotor bearing/rotor post. I've had the same problem on three separate rolex movements over the years, and if I hear the "Buzz", I don't wear the watch until it's been serviced.
    I'm pretty sure these parts are replaced during servicing as a matter of course. I even had a F.O.C. repair of my Deepsea when the noise started when it was a little under three years old.
    Almost certainly rotor post that is worn. Stop wearing it immediately.
    The rotor will probably rub against the movement plates and cause terrible damage if you continue wearing it.

Master
    Spoke to Rolex and they thing it just needs an oiling (?).. In any case I'm seeing how I can get the watch to them. Usually I go through my AD but with covid, I'm considering just sending it in. Only issue is that RMSD cover up to £2,500 - so what are my options for additional coverage?

I found a post thats a couple years old which recommended https://www.shipinforsure.com, but is there another option?

Master
    https://www.secursus.com/shipping-insurance.php

- gets recommended on here. (But if you send it direct to Rolex will they not send you a postage-paid and insured package for that purpose? I know that Omega and others do.)

Master
    That's most probably the rotor scraping the bridge, due to a worn out arbor on the plain bearing.

Stop wearing it and service it.

Blog Entries
    I’ve used this service. Don’t pack watch as they will want to take pics before it is packed up.

https://www.mbe.co.uk/

more expensive though

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post

- gets recommended on here. (But if you send it direct to Rolex will they not send you a postage-paid and insured package for that purpose? I know that Omega and others do.)
    Spoke to Rolex and I'm afraid they don't. They say they get far too many watches sent in to do this.

They use DHL though, so in theory something they could offer.

Master
    Are you sending it in to Rolex for them to check and estimate a repair/service cost?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post

Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Spoke to Rolex and I'm afraid they don't. They say they get far too many watches sent in to do this.

They use DHL though, so in theory something they could offer.

They don't what? Send you packing - you can buy a box and packing from your local Post Office

And RMSD security bags (sliver coloured - of various sizes) are available over the counter for free at the PO.

NB: secursus is an independent insurance provider for valuables shipment. You can use whatever service you like to ship the watch to Rolex - RMSD, DHL, UPS etc and but independent insurance from secursus at 0.6% of the value of the shipment.

Master
    What method do they use to send it back to you?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    What method do they use to send it back to you?
    They use DHL to send watches back from RSC to me. So in theory they could arrange the reverse with a pickup from my premises to theirs. But they can't.