Neither particularly my style. Whilst I really like the white dial explorer ii, the explorer just leaves me feeling a bit “meh” (although I have never worn one!). Don’t get me wrong, it’s still lovely looking and I’m sure it’s great but if I was going to spend that much there are other things that float my boat a lot more. Would probably go for the slightly more pilot-y IWC of the two (based on little more than aesthetics).

BUT forget all that. It seems to me from reading your post that you prefer the IWC. Summarised the Rolex briefly and mentioned a reason why not to get it (no date). Then mentioned the IWC has a date and listed three other things you really like about it (strap, service gap, legibility). “I'm sure if I'd phoned them up I could have arranged something with them though.” - yep and I’m sure if you were that fussed about it, you would have phoned them.

“However, watches aren't about investing and there is something about the IWC that is so very attractive.” There we are, decision made!