closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolex Exlorer or IWC Spitfire 39mm

Craftsman

Rolex Exlorer or IWC Spitfire 39mm

Having received an unexpected windfall my thoughts, naturally, have turned to the purchase of a nice watch. I currently own a Speedbird III and a Seiko Worldtime radio controlled watch. Both of which I like very much. The Speedbird for its legibility. The Seiko for its accuracy and convenience.

There are 2 watches I'm especially drawn to. The Rolex Explorer 39mm and the IWC Spitfire 39mm. Both have their pros and cons. The Explorer is beautifully legible and my understanding is that the in house movement is very good, as is the bracelet. No date, of course. The IWC looks beautiful and highly legible to me and has an in house movement with a date function. Date being a useful function. I like the look of the leather strap too. It also has a long service interval (7 or 8 years).

Availablity. A couple of months ago, I entered into an email exchange about being put on the waiting list for the Explorer with a dealer. I was told I'd need to come into the shop to be put on the waiting list, so I suggested some times I could come in. That email wasn't replied to. I'm sure if I'd phoned them up I could have arranged something with them though.

I've made enquiries regarding the IWC with a dealer and directly with IWC. Both have the watch currently available. I queried about a possible discount, IWC said no but would throw in an extra strap. The dealer says they don't usually offer a discount, but to give them a call.

I'm also somewhat drawn to the Grand Seiko quartz watches. They look good and I appreciate the convenience of the stunning accuracy.

As a financial proposition the Explorer wins hands down, being much more able to keep most of its value. However, watches aren't about investing and there is something about the IWC that is so very attractive.

Thoughts and comments would be most appreciated.

Explorer for me, but it's a personal choice.

Explorer hands down for me personally.

I love the Spitifire - looks great at 39 mm as well. I'm biased re. explorer as I much prefer the 36 mm versions:)

Rolex Exlorer or IWC Spitfire 39mm

Have been looking at the Spitfire myself lately, albeit the bronze model.

Can’t go wrong with the Explorer mind you, though I prefer the 36mm models too.

Master
    Looks-wise, I prefer the IWC. It’s what I’d buy.

Master
    both great watches. pragnell have a spitfire that is a barely used one for £3k on a leather strap which looks like great value.

The explorer is a lovely watch and the bracelet and clasp are a thing of real pleasure.

Explorer 39mm mk2 hands down zero hesitation.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Explorer 39mm mk2 hands down zero hesitation.
    Absolutely.

I do applaud the desire to go for something different, but the Explorer is just such a fine watch. Quiet, understated, class.

Spitfire for me.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Marios View Post
    Have been looking at the Spitfire myself lately, albeit the bronze model.
    Funnily enough there's a bronze Spitfire on ebay (uk) at the moment, I prefer the steel version otherwise I might well be bidding.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by s1wnw View Post
    both great watches. pragnell have a spitfire that is a barely used one for £3k on a leather strap which looks like great value.
    Thank you! That's great to know.

Craftsman
    Explorer. But if a choice of Explorers, it would be the 36mm.

I've owned both of these - in my view the Explorer is the better watch. Much better fit and finish and feels more solid. It also kept better time by some distance and for a Rolex it's pretty discreet.

I do like the IWC and I think the design is excellent - it's also not the obvious choice which is why I bought one. However the Explorer is objectively superior and that's without the (not necessarily relevant in your case and it wasn't in mine) point that as soon as you walk out of the door you could sell the Explorer for a profit and you'd be unlikely to get 50% of the RRP back on the IWC.

If you do go IWC you should fairly easily be able to get 10-15% off list price. I've been offered that over the phone recently on another IWC with the hint that they might do better if I was there in person.

Both very nice watches though and a good problem to have! Good luck.

Master
    They’re both very very different! I thought an explorer would be more comparable to a Grand Seiko.

Very different but explorer for me, By a good way.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    +1 for the Explorer. I like the IWC, but I'd go for several Grand Seikos ahead of it.

Explorer

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Not sure that they are equivelent choices.

I really like IWC but if I was considering a trade with my Explorer 214270 I would be expecting quite a bit of cash my way

Just something to be aware of, if you're used to having a date function then it may be an annoyance with the Explorer.

I bought a BB58 recently and whilst it's a great watch, I do miss having the date, it has made me realise that I do rely on it more than I thought.
    Last edited by ubiquitous; 5th January 2021 at 00:22. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by ubiquitous View Post
    Just something to be aware of, if you're used to having a date function then it may be an annoyance with the Explorer.

I bought a BB58 recently and whilst it's a great watch, I do miss having the data, it has made me realise that I do rely on it more than I thought.
    I count not having a date as being a big advantage personally.

I view the date as an annoyance to set, another thing to potentially go wrong and break your movement, and aesthetically it can spoil the symmetry of a dial unless done very well. All down to individual preferences of course.

Personally, I prefer the look of previous generations better and I would be thinking about a 39mm Mark XVI, or a 36mm explorer 1.

I would then go and buy an aqua terra co-axial 231.10.39.21.01.001, with the asymmetrical case, framed date window and brushed centre lugs as that to me is the best looking, versatile, black dialled, sub 40mm, three-hand watch from a Swiss brand, from 5-10 years ago.

Personal opinion of course....

Sorry that doesn’t help

Blog Entries
    That IWC looks like the date window is too far in the case - as if a smaller movement has been put in a case too big for it. For that reason I wouldn’t buy that one. So I wouldn’t be buying that model. I think earlier IWC models would be better in that respect.

I don’t think you can compare the IWC to the Explorer 1 - so different in many ways. But given the choice of those two - Explorer 1 all the way (ignoring purchase experiences).

Martyn

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Explorer, or go back to the MKXII for a nicer movement. Mind you, in both cases I'd say there's a serious case for going for the original watches that these are effectively homages to. You'll get a more interesting watch which has the strengths and earned the glory that these watches are basking in.

Apprentice
    X1 vote for explorer.

Just because it’s simple/clean/understated and you have more security in the investment should you need to sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I'm a bit of an IWC fan, but I don't much like the Spitfire. The Explorer has a classic elegance that more recent IWCs often seem to be missing.

Totally left field but I was looking to buy a 39mm Explorer but ended up with a 40mm Everest.

I no longer feel the need to buy an explorer.

In my view the Explorer is just rather plain, even bland, whereas the Spitfire has character.

Craftsman
    It would be the Explorer for me, although they are very different watches.

Given it is a personal choice, when in a similar position, I sometimes write down the individual pros and cons (ignoring the points that cross over i.e. pro for one, con for the other), that visual method helps me.

Good luck either way

Explorer!
    I had a opportunity to order one (add myself on wating list) remotely in Germany, but they have a full-lockdown there and I had some history with the dealer.

Rol or Spit >>

I like the old 1016 dial more than the current, but I think you'd better off with the Rolex.

Me personally. I hate red on dials. Names, markers etc. and you would take a deep loss on the resale

Rolex - Tool watches are more dress watches now, but watch would hold it's value better than other brands and top quality bracelet

Prices not mentioned, but regardless. I would buy the Rolex

DON

Master
    Blog Entries
    I really find the explorer 39 an enigma. I love how it looks in pics and managed to get one easier than I thought, but when I tried it on its too flat for my wrists. I know that makes no sense but it just didn’t sit right lol.

My worry with the IWC is unless you buy with a discount you will lose a lot on it, so you really need to be sure. You could buy an explorer and see how you get on with it knowing you’ll get the money back if you change your mind.

Personally of the two the explorer is still a sweet watch, but I’d also look at the Globemaster or Defy Classic for a fine three hand watch at a similar price.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Totally left field but I was looking to buy a 39mm Explorer but ended up with a 40mm Everest.

I no longer feel the need to buy an explorer.
    This happened to me too ! I then bought a Milgauss instead.
    OP if possible you could get the Explorer and get one of Eddie's Navigators to scratch
    the IWC itch? 😃

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    I really find the explorer 39 an enigma. I love how it looks in pics and managed to get one easier than I thought, but when I tried it on its too flat for my wrists. I know that makes no sense but it just didn’t sit right lol.

My worry with the IWC is unless you buy with a discount you will lose a lot on it, so you really need to be sure. You could buy an explorer and see how you get on with it knowing you’ll get the money back if you change your mind.

Personally of the two the explorer is still a sweet watch, but I’d also look at the Globemaster or Defy Classic for a fine three hand watch at a similar price.
    Definitely worth visiting a preowned store to try the Explorer. Its anyones guess when an AD will have one for you to view. Then try the Spitfire.
    Make it clear when you visit you have a shortlist of two (If in any doubt leave your debit/credit card at home) that way you avoid a hasty decision, which if you chose to sell, will save you hassle and in the case of the IWC the reality of 50% resale

Journeyman
    An alternative to the spitfire could be a Stowa Flieger. A great option with the same history as IWC at just a quarter of the price.

Could always be an option down the road if you’re after the look. Available with date or no date too

https://www.stowa.de/en/Flieger+Klassik+40+Verus.htm

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post

Have to agree with all this. I tried the Exp39 twice and the plain quality that works so well in the 36mm is just amplified to the point where it just doesn't look right IMO.

Had the IWC in MK XVI form for a short time, didn't blow me away and when a certain well known watchmaker couldn't seem to service it properly, I gave up and moved it on. Wouldn't buy an IWC at list unless I absolutely loved it.

Explorer in 36mm for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Gomers; 6th January 2021 at 00:34.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Explorer 36mm should never have sold my last one

Apprentice
    I'd say Explorer any day over Spitfire but both are excellent watches.

Difficult to choose one because both are very nice. At my age, thinking in the possibility to “read” better, i can choose the IWC.
    Thinking in a dressing watch, more serious and less sportive, I can choose the Rolex.
    Please let us know how finish the election.
    Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Explorer for me as well.
    It's the only Rolex that I think others haven't done better (looks wise at least). Something right on about the proportions & placement of the numerals.

Explorer for me - if you don’t want to wait then there are plenty available from grey dealers. Good luck with your decision.

I’ve owned numerous of the previous 36mm Explorer, and feel that they just look better - unfortunately they feel a little too small on my wrists.

The newer model is nice enough, but I have a few other Rolex watches already that I prefer, and would likely wear in its place. So far something a little different I’d choose the IWC - I don’t have one at the minute, and the only similar ish watches that I have ate the Speedbird GMT and a Smith‘s 29b
    It's just a matter of time...

Journeyman
    I think I'd go for the Spitfire - just looks more fun and seems like it can be had easier and cheaper than the explorer

Master
    Blog Entries
    To me the Spitfire looks over styled to me. I like the classic looks of the Explorer which is a perfect tool watch for me in 36mm. The IWC looks much better in Mark 11 to me.

Craftsman
    Thank you all very much for the comments and advice. I really appreciate it.

I'm going to think some more before coming to a decision. In the mean-time I'm also going to keep an eye out for a used Spitfire at a competitive price point (I've put a post in WTB). I'm also going to consider looking at an Explorer in the flesh once the shops re-open.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by A440 View Post
    In the mean-time I'm also going to keep an eye out for a used Spitfire at a competitive price point (I've put a post in WTB). I'm also going to consider looking at an Explorer in the flesh once the shops re-open.
    Good luck trying to find an Explorer in a shop window !

Whilst not a Spitfire, there's a very nice MkXVIII on SC at the moment, although your low post count might prevent you from seeing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    Good luck trying to find an Explorer in a shop window !

Whilst not a Spitfire, there's a very nice MkXVIII on SC at the moment, although your low post count might prevent you from seeing it.
    Plenty of Explorers in shop windows to browse and see in the metal, just not AD windows

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    Yes, thank you, I'm aware of it. It's tempting...but I prefer the look of the Spitfire for some reason.

Apprentice
    Explorer for me.

The Explorer is a great watch. It’s a regularly worn part of my small collection. You won’t be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk