closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will the Nautilus 5711 be discontinued???

Some rumours - apparently it'll be titanium and no date. Hopefully Ti turns people away, because it's my favourite material....

https://www.watchprosite.com/patek-p...3236.12718401/

Craftsman
    Titanium makes sence as Vacheron are also putting out a new titanium version this year.

Platinium would not go well on the nautilus day to day

I'm hoping for a ceramic bezel and Superquartz movement.

;)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Some rumours - apparently it'll be titanium and no date. Hopefully Ti turns people away, because it's my favourite material....

https://www.watchprosite.com/patek-p...3236.12718401/
    No date Ti will be one fantastic looking watch! And sure it will wear even better!

Should have been discontinued in the 80’s. It was always Genta’s crappy B-side compared with the AP.

Journeyman
    If they also bring back the Grey dial, date, centre seconds it would increase my interest.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Should have been discontinued in the 80’s. It was always Genta’s crappy B-side compared with the AP.
    Sequels never live up to the original.

It’s never floated my boat, way to rattley, and ugly date window placement. Compared to a 15202 which feels solid despite being as thin.

Master
    If they are really selling for the amounts being asked now, I would trade in for a complicated Patek 5202 and the ultra thin 15202

Realised this will mean I just went down even further on the Aquanaut list, annoying. I too would pick the AP RO without the seconds hand instead over the Nautilus. The Nautilus now is like the Kim Kardashian of watches, just famous for being famous.

Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    If they are really selling for the amounts being asked now, I would trade in for a complicated Patek 5202 and the ultra thin 15202

Could be a good call on the 15202. Not sure I want a precious metal complicated Patek, but there’s a couple of steel annual calendars I’d happily own. Maybe if the selling prices increase “too” much, I might make the leap - but only after I’ve secured my next one.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Fanatic photo and quite a nice summer watch but I can't see the dial without seeing a garage door.
    Maybe, but you should see it after you press the crown and it rolls up to reveal the movement ;-)

That’s the sort of objectivity I’m looking for! Do you enjoy two or even more classic pieces or stick with the one? I love my Nautilus and it took nearly 25 years to save up for but for For me it’s not a ‘one watch’ solution. As a watch enthusiast I could get a few other classic watches that I couldn’t otherwise afford without selling such an asset.
    It has now changed from just being a beautiful watch that I bought to wear and enjoy, to a different ball game

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    That’s the sort of objectivity I’m looking for! Do you enjoy two or even more classic pieces or stick with the one? I love my Nautilus and it took nearly 25 years to save up for but for For me it’s not a ‘one watch’ solution. As a watch enthusiast I could get a few other classic watches that I couldn’t otherwise afford without selling such an asset.
    It has now changed from just being a beautiful watch that I bought to wear and enjoy, to a different ball game
    Yes I think a lot of enthusiasts think similar at all price levels, what can I get if I sold this one or another watch, whether selling one to buy more or consolidating. Though I can imagine the 5711 will be a hot piece for a long while still, it sounds like you have had your fun with it already so it might be time soon to cash out and get more fresh classics that gives new excitement.

Yes I think a lot of enthusiasts think similar at all price levels, what can I get if I sold this one or another watch, whether selling one to buy more or consolidating. Though I can imagine the 5711 will be a hot piece for a long while still, it sounds like you have had your fun with it already so it might be time soon to cash out and get more fresh classics that gives new excitement.
    That’s a real quandary though. While I could cash in and try other watches, I’d never spend a similar amount to by back the 5711. The price I paid I’m comfortable with, but what it would now cost to buy another I’m not. I do prefer to things like the AP or VC, and that’s why purposely ordered and waited for mine.

It’s so much easier to sell other watches, or save up the lower amount for one. I’m just not quite convinced, in fact I’m absolutely certain, that I’m not the target market to be looking for a £60k-£100k watch.

How much is a nice or a new 15202, and the 15400?

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    That’s a real quandary though. While I could cash in and try other watches, I’d never spend a similar amount to by back the 5711. The price I paid I’m comfortable with, but what it would now cost to buy another I’m not. I do prefer to things like the AP or VC, and that’s why purposely ordered and waited for mine.

It’s so much easier to sell other watches, or save up the lower amount for one. I’m just not quite convinced, in fact I’m absolutely certain, that I’m not the target market to be looking for a £60k-£100k watch.

If it's worth £60-100k and you choose not to sell it, you are effectively choosing to spend that money on a single watch. I appreciate you paid less for it, but what you can sell it for now is the opportunity cost of keeping it.

That's not me saying you should sell it (I would personally, but each to their own!).

Master
    I struggled with the idea of >£20k for one so paying a multiple of that makes it nothing more than an investment or wealth signalling for most folk and I'd never feel comfortable wearing it for a number of reasons.

Master

Will the Nautilus 5711 be discontinued???

Think the 15202 is 35k on grey, and under 30k new. 15400 low 20s. We are talking a small mm difference for ultra thin though having owned a AP RO, the slimness to overall feel of the watch is exponential. Oh and better movement I think

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    If it's worth £60-100k and you choose not to sell it, you are effectively choosing to spend that money on a single watch. I appreciate you paid less for it, but what you can sell it for now is the opportunity cost of keeping it.

That's not me saying you should sell it (I would personally, but each to their own!).
    Opportunity cost is true. But it’s not a true cost to me, so I don’t so it in the same way. In the same as I wouldn’t see buying a Rolex at RRP and enjoying it, it’s just good fortune. Unlike a lot of people, I love the watch and enjoy wearing it. I didn’t buy it expecting it to rise in value, in fact I was resigned to the fact that it might lose a little, but I’d waited for it and really wanted one. If it really did go to something crazy like £100k I would have to seriously consider the logic in keeping it and wearing it regularly, but for now I’m not quite there.

?
    Similar here. My man maths leads me to a JLC Mariner Memovox, Gmt 16750, Vacheron Traditionelle and get nearly my initial expenditure back!

Craftsman
    So, whose asked watchfinder for a price to either buy or sell ?

Quote Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
    So, whose asked watchfinder for a price to either buy or sell ?
    Not this year. I’m waiting to see what their asking prices are for the next blue dial in stock...

Not this year. I’m waiting to see what their asking prices are for the next blue dial in stock...
    *the next blue dial they decide to put back on the website. They probably have 10-15 in the safe . Drip feeders.

Looks like a Bremont. Sorry never could do that, don't care what name is on it.
    I actually like the Nautilus...not much else in their range.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gerard View Post
    Looks like a Bremont. Sorry never could do that, don't care what name is on it.
    I actually like the Nautilus...not much else in their range.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk
    Oh god hope you not comparing to the Bremont with Stephen Hawkings old desk stuck to the back

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    *the next blue dial they decide to put back on the website. They probably have 10-15 in the safe . Drip feeders.
    Im sure they will have a few, but I doubt as high as those figures, unless just bought in at a slight increase on the old offers.

The only UK ones I can see on Chrono 24 are one 2016 sealed watch for £90k and another for £114k!!!

I’m sure they’ll settle at lower than that.

You would hope so. Unless the world has gone mad.

Somewhere around those prices might get my thinking about other uses of the funds.

Interesting article from 2019 in Hodinkee - PP's president, Thierry Stern, basically sees the steel models as something of a liability to the company and its dealers. Given the current feeding-frenzy bubbling around this model (as I write, there's one in Spain asking £122K), it's easy to see why.

You really do paint yourself into a corner once your product is only seen as an investment and not as something to be worn and enjoyed for what it is, especially when your best-known piece is something so mundane (at least in context with the many wonderful complications PP produce).

Like many, I used to think it mad for a relative minnow of a company - one without a corporate umbrella to protect them from market vicissitudes - to restrict availability to such an extent as they do, then I looked-up PP's wiki entry, and with revenue for 2019 pegged at $1.5 billion, it seems they'll probably struggle-by, no matter what the likes of us may opine...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Interesting article from 2019 in Hodinkee - PP's president, Thierry Stern, basically sees the steel models as something of a liability to the company and its dealers. Given the current feeding-frenzy bubbling around this model (as I write, there's one in Spain asking £122K), it's easy to see why.

You really do paint yourself into a corner once your product is only seen as an investment and not as something to be worn and enjoyed for what it is, especially when your best-known piece is something so mundane (at least in context with the many wonderful complications PP produce).

Like many, I used to think it mad for a relative minnow of a company - one without a corporate umbrella to protect them from market vicissitudes - to restrict availability to such an extent as they do, then I looked-up PP's wiki entry, and with revenue for 2019 pegged at $1.5 billion, it seems they'll probably struggle-by, no matter what the likes of us may opine...
    An interesting piece, suggesting that they don’t want a stainless steel model becoming the face of the brand, as it did for AP, when they’re supposed to be about precious metals and complications. But I wonder if the problem for AP is simply that they don’t make any other watches that are anything like as appealing as the RO, so look a bit like a one watch brand. No such problems at PP. I wonder if the real reasoning is that it’s best to quit while you’re ahead. With the 5711 reaching peak bubble prices, stopping production draws a line under it, props up future values and distances the brand from any future falls. It will be interesting to see what, if anything, replaces it.

Master
    Interesting article in the New York Times (as linked on Hodinkee), interviewing Thierry Stern on his reasoning for discontinuing the 5711. As he says:

I always have two goals in mind. To protect Patek Philippe as an industry leader and to push for the finest product, so we constantly create new models, and we are innovative with our movements. The second thing is, I have to protect my client. For that, a Patek Philippe watch must keep its value.
    Reading between the lines, this tells you everything you need to know. The Nautilus has changed very little in the best part of fifty years, and they can do better now. Better movement, better everything, maybe something new and different. And also, they are in the heirloom business, the value retention business, not the asset bubble business. They’re not about watches that go in and out of fashion, become insta-famous, and have bubbles and crashes. It’s a strong move to demonstrate that they will act to protect your long term investment, even if it costs them in the short term.

Interesting too that there will be a ‘victory lap’ 5711 edition of some sort, but he’s not saying anything about the material. Ceramic Nautilus anyone? Form an orderly queue.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 11th February 2021 at 15:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Interesting article in the New York Times (as linked on Hodinkee), interviewing Thierry Stern on his reasoning for discontinuing the 5711. As he says:

Reading between the lines, this tells you everything you need to know. The Nautilus has changed very little in the best part of fifty years, and they can do better now. Better movement, better everything, maybe something new and different. And also, they are in the heirloom business, the value retention business, not the asset bubble business. They’re not about watches that go in and out of fashion, become insta-famous, and have bubbles and crashes. It’s a strong move to demonstrate that they will act to protect your long term investment, even if it costs them in the short term.

Interesting too that there will be a ‘victory lap’ 5711 edition of some sort, but he’s not saying anything about the material. Ceramic Nautilus anyone? Form an orderly queue.
    They'll do a victory lap and then update the Nautilus - he's not really ruled that out, just talks about protecting current 5711 owners. I find the value retention thing funny - not all Patek's retain their value. I'd also question why they think they know better and that we should want a precious metal watch. I see a trend to more casual wearing and other materials.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    ... Ceramic Nautilus anyone? Form an orderly queue.
    It'll be made from purest Unobtanium, as per normal...

A new green dial run out model is up on the PP website.

https://www.patek.com/en/home

Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    A new green dial run out model is up on the PP website.

https://www.patek.com/en/home
    Curiously not noted as a limited edition/limited release. I wonder how many they’ll make given this is the ‘last hurrah’ before the actual 5711 successor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk